Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mykk3i)
    I want this choice too but firstly i might not be able to do well in both bio and chem HL in fact i might fail chem HL. Even though i think i'll get a 5 in MYP but feels like it's not good enough, my teacher threatens me )

I am now considering maybe i should drop Chem to SL and therefore i cannot take psychology (as said my skl only offers sl for psyh)

Another reason is because i will not only struggle on chem + psyh(reading n writing intensive) but also Chinese as i might get a 3 or 4.

I won't be able to get a full diploma if i do language b/

I'm just not sure whether or not i will be able to enter the medicine field in university with a predicted score above 36.
    If that's what you feel, drop chem, it's more important to get a higher grade!
    However, a full diploma does in fact consist of a lang A1 and a lang B...you can even check on the IBO website!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletHour)
    Hmm, well bm is pretty easy for me, since it's all logical and I mostly think logical, so it's hard to say if it's hard or not for everyone. I think many people in my class find it hard, and yes, there's tons of strategies and charts and stuff you have to learn, but as long as you study you'll do fine.

You have to do an internal assessment for business though, where you personally have contact with a business to get information. It can be a bit tricky, but very interesting :rolleyes:

The book we have is huge, and there's tons of stuff you just have to read over and over again to remember, so it's not a course you can sleep through. I tried though!

It's a lot about case studies, you learn the things by taking up examples and working through them, at least we do. But all in all you learn a lot, and if you wanna study bm in the future this is definitely an advantage. There's marketing, budgets and so much more.

I know that you should never ever use wikipedia :p: but I stole this from there (I don't have my book at home atm, but this sounds like what we've done):

"An Introduction to Organizations – including the need for business organisations, the different types of organizations and their objectives.
    The External Environment – including different environments in which organisations operate.
    Marketing – including marketing strategies to achieve organisational objectives and in response to the changing environment.
    Human Resource Management – including the way people influence, and are influenced by, organisations in order to achieve organisational objectives.
    Operations Management – including operation decision making, linking, in particular, with human resource management, quality assurance and customer care.
    Accounting and Finance – including how organisations manage their finance and the strengths and limitations of the tools of financial analysis."

I don't take economics, I sucked at it when I tried. But since I only take bm and math studies, I would never ever apply for finance or anything like that. But if I was going to, I think I'd choose economics. Did this help at all?
    yep that does help, i guess i'll just do B&M HL and study for countless times! i hope i'll get a good grade (u know for over all and all):woo:
    Thxxx

ReputationRep:
    I am considering the following IB choices:

Maths HL
    Chemistry HL
    Economics HL

Environmental systems and societies SL
    English SL
    French SL

I want to do Environmental systems and societies because i am good at both geography and biology and i am unsure of what to do, would it be best to do Environmental systems and societies?

Would i have too much work with the current choices?

Are the choices i have chosen too hard?

Im not sure which science to do, is Chemistry good in this situation?

Any other comments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h0220)
    I am considering the following IB choices:

Maths HL
    Chemistry HL
    Economics HL

Environmental systems and societies SL
    English SL
    French SL

I want to do Environmental systems and societies because i am good at both geography and biology and i am unsure of what to do, would it be best to do Environmental systems and societies?

Would i have too much work with the current choices?

Are the choices i have chosen too hard?

Im not sure which science to do, is Chemistry good in this situation?

Any other comments?
    Well, what do you plan to study at university?

I've recall (and have heard) that achieving a 7 is v. difficult for the subject, since they ask for ridiculously specific answers to broad questions. I would suggest picking either Biology/Geography. Your HLs aren't easy, but they could be worse: Maths will definitely give you a hard time though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure about university and further study so thats why i wanted to do environmental systems and societies as it seems to be broader so keeps my options more open.

Does anybody have any experience with environmental systems and societies and how is it rated by universities?

If you take environmental systems and societies could you still study medicine/pharmacy with Chemistry HL at university?

And could you study geography with environmental systems and societies?

ReputationRep:
    For Medicine at Uni, you need Chemistry HL and most unis want Biology at SL at least, or Physics SL.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I recommend picking either geography/bio, since sts won't give you foundation for either. Especially if you want to do something science related, take bio. TBH I would take bio higher rather than econs higher. Bio at higher gives a much bigger advantage to medicine/science than econs higher gives to economics - maths is the most important thing there.

And geography is apparently an easy subject at IB (this is based off what I hear from my school) and is basically a guaranteed 7, but you seem like someone who stretches themselves, so bio??

ReputationRep:
    Also forgot to mention the difference between economics higher and standard is very small, you only do one unit more, so won't have missed out on much.

ReputationRep:
    i want to take psychology in uni
    its between sl bio and sl physics
    i have friends taking both, the ones taking bio say it is a LOT of memorising and hard work, the ones taking physics find it really hard too. personally, i love both, but am leaning more towards physics rather than bio. however i basically suck at math that im taking rite now - sl math. like i am horrible, math is my worst subject! however, i still kinda like equations n stuff, which i heard is used tons in physics.

currently my subjects are
    HL : English, Chemistry, Economics
    SL : Math, French, and either Bio or Physics.

so which one do you guys reccommend?

ReputationRep:
    Have to decide which of these two to take at HL - any suggestions?
    thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I take both :P

But if u have to choose 1, it would depend on what u want to do in college.
    What do u plan to do?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not 100% sure yet, but definitely something in the social sciences. I suppose taking Economics would make more sense but if Biology can get me a higher grade, then I'd take that at HL & Economics at OL. As I'm not aiming for a very specific degree course, I want to concentrate on getting general high marks, rather than being subject specific.

ReputationRep:
    biology is a lot of memorization takes up a lot more time
    econ is easier thats my advice take econ

ReputationRep:
    Biology is a lot of memory work
    Economics is basically application
    Depends what floats your boat I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asiansentinel)
    Biology is a lot of memory work
    Economics is basically application
    Depends what floats your boat I guess
    Dont do the mistake that many people do and take what's easier Take something that you actually enjoy or are interested in it. I don't take Bio HL but I heard it's a lot of memorization...if u like Bio and ur the Science type take it...I took Physics And I take Econ HL too...it's simply understanding concepts and applying them....it's not that hard at all. but anyway, choice is yours....well good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I recently realized I need HL maths in order to get into the course I want to get into in university. I'm in IB1, midway through the year. Our SL class has not yet done an IA but the HL class has. Assuming they'll even let me transfer, do I do the same HL IA that the HL class has already done? Also, are there any IB rules about letting somebody transfer from a SL to a HL class? :confused:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Take what you think you'll be better at because you actually like it. I took HL history instead of HL math because I thought I'd get higher grades and that turned out absolutely awful.
    So take what you think you'll most likely enjoy =)
    that being said, HL Econ is (for me) really not hard at all, and it's a lot of fun. Bio is a lot of memorization.

ReputationRep:
    There are no rules about transferring, you can move up/down but it may be difficult catching up. And yeah you'll have to do the same HL IA - depends on your class though, you might not have to the exact same topic. Provided you can catch up with the work and the IA it should be fine. Midway through IB1 doesn't seem too late, as I speak from being in the same position (I'm doing HL Maths, and have been since the start). It depends on your teacher and in what order they choose to teach stuff, but they may have begun topics such as complex numbers and mathematical induction, which aren't in the SL syllabus and hence you will need to learn.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you that makes me feel better =)
    I've done complex numbers pre-IB and they haven't done mathematical induction, they've covered calc and vectors. I'm halfway through catching up calc but catching up isn't really a worry until/if they let me switch =)

ReputationRep:
    Biology HL requires understanding and loads of memorization - unless you can tell me how drawing and annotating a diagram of a dicotyledonous seed requires any understanding (especially since the surrounding syllabus material is so superficial).

I'd recommend Economics HL if you are good at essays, especially persuasive ones, I recommend taking Economics (it's doesn't have as horribly subjective mark schemes as, say, history). Biology HL is not too difficult, but requires quite a load of work; however, if you enjoy Biology I'd recommend it.

As most people have pointed out, pick out the subjects you like - you'll end up doing better.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.