Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hands down Economics HL is easier, but if you're applying for a science-based course a 7 in Biology HL looks great.

ReputationRep:
    I take bio at HL and I have to say there is ALOT of memorising, I've heard the same from the SL's.
    Though chemistry and biology do overlap nicely.... good luck with the HL chemistry by the way. Ligands rule xP

ReputationRep:
    yeah if u really have to choose 1 then id go with economics HL..

I had a 7 in Biology HL for most of the course...but then as we had to learn more and more stuff my grade went down to a 6 - it gets pretty crazy.

Econ on the other hand is manageable and there isnt a big difference between Econ SL and HL like there is between Bio SL and HL

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am a Junior in High School who has to schedule classes for my final year in high school. I basically have all of my classes that I would want to take next year. However, I'm torn between IB Music and Philosophy. Let me explain, I've been playing the Piano for fourteen years, but was never good with Theory. Ever. I took Theory and Harmony last year (grade 10), but the class was a complete joke. The director for musical education also agrees with this, as the teacher who taught theory was recently fired. I would need to be "caught up" (along with everyone else in that class with me) in order to succeed in IB Music. This adds a lot of unneeded stress for me, personally, because of all of the other IB's that I am taking, and the fact that I am taking two other sciences along with Physics. I'm also preparing and performing in my own piano concert at the end of my senior year.

Would Philosophy prove to be the better choice in this instance? I'm currently taking IB Psych, and as far as I'm concerned, there are many principles of psychology that transition over to philosophy, and vice versa. This is my schedule for next year:

IB English HL II
    IB History HL II
    IB Math Studies
    IB Music OR IB Philosophy OR IB Environmental Science
    IB Physics SL
    Human Anatomy and Physiology
    Sports Medicine

I should also mention that I am applying to combined BS/MD programs here in the United States. Yes, I want to be a Doctor. For those that do not know, these are programs that combine undergraduate and medical education in an accelerated 6 (2 years of undergrad, 4 years of medical school), 7 (3 years of undergrad, 4 years of medical school), or a non-accelerated 8 years (but with a guaranteed acceptance into Medical School). With this fact, would it "look" better to the undergrad and medical school adcoms that I'm taking either IB Music or Philosophy?

Thanks to those who take the time to read this.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh! I apologize deeply, as I did not see the stickied thread about "Which IB subjects should I choose?". If this needs to be moved, please do.

Again, sorry.

Also, I added IB Environmental science to the list because I'm absolutely fanatical about science and...I forgot that my school actually offered this course. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xelb)
    Oh my gosh! I apologize deeply, as I did not see the stickied thread about "Which IB subjects should I choose?". If this needs to be moved, please do.

Again, sorry.

Also, I added IB Environmental science to the list because I'm absolutely fanatical about science and...I forgot that my school actually offered this course. :P
    1. Why on earth aren't you taking Biology and/or Chemistry HL?
    2. I would recommend the one you like more; Music will probably be more difficult for getting a 7, but I would go with the one you are interested in more.
    3. Environmental Sciences is not highly regarded by universities; however, if you enjoy it, consider it?

I would still seriously consider another science, especially since you have Math Studies, which is a rather weak choice when you are applying for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    1. Why on earth aren't you taking Biology and/or Chemistry HL?
    2. I would recommend the one you like more; Music will probably be more difficult for getting a 7, but I would go with the one you are interested in more.
    3. Environmental Sciences is not highly regarded by universities; however, if you enjoy it, consider it?

I would still seriously consider another science, especially since you have Math Studies, which is a rather weak choice when you are applying for medicine.
    1. I didn't want to be a Doctor by the time I had to choose classes for Junior Year. Plus, in tenth grade I was pretty much taking regular classes and one honors class. I wasn't taking regular chemistry or bio in tenth grade (I was taking Earth Science), so I wasn't able to choose IB Chem or Bio. I am taking AP Chemistry this year though, and I will take IB Physics next year.

2. I do not think Music would be a good choice for me. So yeah, I'm definitely going to drop it from my schedule next year.

3. It's a bit different here in the United States. I can't apply to medical school right out of high school. However, with BS/MD programs, I can either gain guaranteed or provisional acceptance into medical school, provided I maintain a certain GPA and earn a minimum MCAT score. However, since I am a bit science-centric, I'd thought that IB Environmental (Along with IB physics, Anatomy, and Sports Medicine) would only compliment the three other science classes that I am taking. I'm not sure how universities over in Britian look at Environmental, but the BS/MD programs here in the states really only care about the grades from Freshman to Junior year (the first three years) and some of them will even ask for your Senior Schedule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xelb)
    Hello, I am a Junior in High School who has to schedule classes for my final year in high school. I basically have all of my classes that I would want to take next year. However, I'm torn between IB Music and Philosophy. Let me explain, I've been playing the Piano for fourteen years, but was never good with Theory. Ever. I took Theory and Harmony last year (grade 10), but the class was a complete joke. The director for musical education also agrees with this, as the teacher who taught theory was recently fired. I would need to be "caught up" (along with everyone else in that class with me) in order to succeed in IB Music. This adds a lot of unneeded stress for me, personally, because of all of the other IB's that I am taking, and the fact that I am taking two other sciences along with Physics. I'm also preparing and performing in my own piano concert at the end of my senior year.

Would Philosophy prove to be the better choice in this instance? I'm currently taking IB Psych, and as far as I'm concerned, there are many principles of psychology that transition over to philosophy, and vice versa. This is my schedule for next year:

IB English HL II
    IB History HL II
    IB Math Studies
    IB Music OR IB Philosophy OR IB Environmental Science
    IB Physics SL
    Human Anatomy and Physiology
    Sports Medicine

I should also mention that I am applying to combined BS/MD programs here in the United States. Yes, I want to be a Doctor. For those that do not know, these are programs that combine undergraduate and medical education in an accelerated 6 (2 years of undergrad, 4 years of medical school), 7 (3 years of undergrad, 4 years of medical school), or a non-accelerated 8 years (but with a guaranteed acceptance into Medical School). With this fact, would it "look" better to the undergrad and medical school adcoms that I'm taking either IB Music or Philosophy?

Thanks to those who take the time to read this.
    you're doing 5 IB subjects?
    Are Human Anatomy and Physiology & Sports Medicine IB subjects?
    It looks like you got a lot on your plate anyway. Good luck! Oh and I really recommend you consider either Biology or chemistry...
    and wait ARE you or WILL you do IB and take those subjects cuz u said u took physchology? sorry confused!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I recently registered at this site in a hope that people will help me with my IB choices for my next academic year. Currently I'm going to the British International School Of Moscow , and next year I'm going to Bromsgrove School for my IB Diploma.

My choices :

English A1 HL
    French B HL
    Economics HL
    Environmental Systems SL
    Maths SL or Maths Studies
    Business and Management SL

I'm doing my IGCSE's now and mock results weren't that bad.

English Lit- B. Probably an A on the final.
    English Lan- C although i will be getting an A. I'm sure.
    IGCSE Cambridge French - A
    ICT- A*
    Maths- A
    Business and Management - C, although i should be getting an A/B.
    Russian as First Language Higher - B (i'm not russian , i'm serbian , it was pretty hard)
    Environmental Management - A*
    Physical Education - A*

Mostly in all of the subjects I'm aiming for A's and B's. I chose IB since I'm planning to go to a US university and I'm more looking towards Economics/Business/Sports Management . I've visited University of Miami and I'm aiming to apply there or New York University . So could anyone help me with my choices and everything that i listed here. Please! Greatly Appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    we have some similar classes
    I would advise you to take at least Maths SL, as economics can get pretty math-based. Not in IB econ, but later if you plan to pursue it.
    B&M and Econ wow That's either a great idea (shows you're serious about economics) or a bad one (if there is a lot of overlap). my school doesn't offer B&M so i don't know much about it. hm. :confused: I suppose if your school lets you take both it's fine though. IB Economics is a great class
    Other than that your classes look pretty solid, for the US it doesn't really matter that much what you take for IB. It's much more flexible that if you were applying in the UK

ReputationRep:
    Hehe! Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    Last year, in year 10, i took my GCSE Edexcel French Higher and got a B+ even though in my mocks and all the practice papers I got an A*'s. This year i'm doing my igcse's including igcse cambridge french, im aiming for an A. Do u think i will be able to keep up with French B HL (: ?

ReputationRep:
    French B HL is not that hard as long as you review once in a while and don't forget the conditional tense (as I always do ). Tbh I wish I could offer more advice on this but our teacher is choosing not to give us actual IB past papers until next year. We get little excerpts from them though, and it's not that bad. A lot of it is comprehension and how well you can figure out what words mean from the context, that kind of stuff. I don't know much about igsce because I never did that... but I knew the present, passe compose, imparfait, future simple, futur proche and conditional fairly well before starting IB French. I doubt it'll be a problem. As with a language course, it's a lot of memorization and it's not that hard to catch up, even though I'm sure you won't need to as your grades are good =)

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

Well thats exactly what i know in French Language So i guess it shouldn't be a problem .So can u please tell me a bit more on other subjects and in general any for IB, for how to succeed, how to plan yourself. I'm moving to a boarding school for the first time in my life so if u have any time please help me! Thanks again for ur advices :lovehug:

ReputationRep:
    You're absolutely welcome
    I personally love IB, I have all A's (6s and 7s) even though I was always an A/B student, so you can do it too
    How to succeed: you definitely need a planner, unless you have super memory powers. There can a lot of assignments (and then sometimes there is a week of very little homework, so however bad things get they do calm down eventually). Procrastinate as little as you can (hard to do). Personally, I start my homework as soon as I get home to make sure I have it done before I start doing other things. Other than that, the usual: pay attention in class, listen to your teachers, etc.
    In general enjoy your pre-IB time and don't stress out too much about it. It will be a fun, exciting, and sometimes stressful time
    If you really want a head start on French, try to have conversations with your friends in French (obv only if they take french as well). Part of IB French are oral exams which can be scary if you don't practice talking. However that's definitely not a requirement, just a suggestion if you want a head start
    If you're doing full diploma, CAS, TOK, and the Extended Essay will eat up some of your time too. But these really vary in fun from school to school.
    Best of luck in boarding school, I hope you enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have to decide on something that may change my life:

-I study in Hong Kong.

-I got 10 A*s and 1 A in GCSEs.

- Am doing IB for 6 months now, but my grades are dropping significantly :eek3: and it's so stressful and I'm worn out.

- My report grade was a: 34 for IB (excluding bonus points)

- HKU is accepting me for LLB Law based on an "Early admissions scheme" for my good GCSE results.

- HKU LLB law requires usually a 38-40 PG.

- 1) Should I go? I just transfered schools to do the IB, and that itself had changed my life. Made more friends than I ever did in this new school, can't bear to leave them.

2) If I stay and do IB for 1 more year, I doubt my PG will be high enough to even apply back to HKU.

3) I really had hopes for oxbridge or ivy leagues when I was doing GCSEs, but now the dreams are shattered....

4) My IB school now has lazy teachers that do not teach well (except for Bio).

My grades for now:

Biology HL- 7
    English A1 HL- 4
    Geography HL- 7
    Chinese SL- 6
    History SL- 7
    Math SL- 3

Pls help me figure some things out
    Feeling depressed and miserable...

ReputationRep:
    Your grades seem good enough. Just focus more on Math SL and English A1 HL to get those grades up. It's only six months into the IB...
    Do past papers. Do some extra reading. Don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danomind)
    Hi guys, I have to decide on something that may change my life:

-I study in Hong Kong.

-I got 10 A*s and 1 A in GCSEs.

- Am doing IB for 6 months now, but my grades are dropping significantly :eek3: and it's so stressful and I'm worn out.

- My report grade was a: 34 for IB (excluding bonus points)

- HKU is accepting me for LLB Law based on an "Early admissions scheme" for my good GCSE results.

- HKU LLB law requires usually a 38-40 PG.

- 1) Should I go? I just transfered schools to do the IB, and that itself had changed my life. Made more friends than I ever did in this new school, can't bear to leave them.

2) If I stay and do IB for 1 more year, I doubt my PG will be high enough to even apply back to HKU.

3) I really had hopes for oxbridge or ivy leagues when I was doing GCSEs, but now the dreams are shattered....

4) My IB school now has lazy teachers that do not teach well (except for Bio).

My grades for now:

Biology HL- 7
    English A1 HL- 4
    Geography HL- 7
    Chinese SL- 6
    History SL- 7
    Math SL- 3

Pls help me figure some things out
    Feeling depressed and miserable...

Your grades are fine, but you seem to be struggling with Maths and English...
    Try to improve them to 6 or 7 and you should do fine....

I can suggest some great books on mathematics, but they are for A - level and I am not sure how useful they will be.....

I will let you know after I have checked the IB mathematics syllabus..

Which one are you doing HL or SL?

ReputationRep:
    You could always look into getting a tutor for English & Maths.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we can give you a definite answer on this, because the decision has to be your own, but I can give you some stuff to think about:

1. Workload will only increase as you go through the course, so if you're finding it too much now, you will be practically dead by this time next year.

2. Bad teaching is a big problem if you do IB, and although you can make up for it with revision, it will take up a lot of time if you have to do it for a lot of subjects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.