so ive chosen to go full IB

HL Math
    HL Physics
    HL Econ
    HL Computer Science (or HL History)

SL A1 English
    SL A2 Chinese

4 HLs cause i might drop from HL math to SL
    any comments on how packed my schedule will be?

anyone have any feedback on HL history? is it worth taking or should i go SL where history is a one year course?

First post : D
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wongzai)
    hi ppl
    im an aussie thinking of going to uni in the US/UK or AUS for last resort
    so ive chosen to go full IB

HL Math
    HL Physics
    HL Econ
    HL Computer Science (or HL History)

SL A1 English
    SL A2 Chinese

4 HLs cause i might drop from HL math to SL
    any comments on how packed my schedule will be?

anyone have any feedback on HL history? is it worth taking or should i go SL where history is a one year course?

First post : D
    thanks
    Schedule: 4 hours class time for HLs per week, and 2h40mins for SLs.
    SL doesn't mean it is a one year course, you do all subjects over the two years.
    Does 4HLs is just making things harder for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, (phew, this might be quite a long post. ^^ )
    well I am having a really hard time deciding what language courses I should take in IB since I am currently a sophomore, meaning that I will be taking IB next year.
    I am currently studying at an English speaking school and I am planning to take A1 HL since my first choices in college are english speaking colleges.
    The problem is my second language choice. I have been studying Spanish for three years though I have learned nearly nothing since the teacher does not teach properly, therefore, I have also lost all my motivation to continue studying this language.
    I am Swiss German, so I have studied German a little when I was back in 4th grade. I am considering taking German because there is a possibility that I will attend a German speaking university, though the chances are VERY VERY small.
    Also, my school does not offer German. ):
    So I am planning to use the self-teaching method.
    Since I know a little German, I can understand it, but I can't write it and am able to read text only slowly to fully understand it (my vocabulary is also limited.)
    What level should I consider taking since I am self-teaching myself?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WinterVanity)
    well I am having a really hard time deciding what language courses I should take in IB since I am currently a sophomore, meaning that I will be taking IB next year.
    I am currently studying at an English speaking school and I am planning to take A1 HL since my first choices in college are english speaking colleges.
    The problem is my second language choice. I have been studying Spanish for three years though I have learned nearly nothing since the teacher does not teach properly, therefore, I have also lost all my motivation to continue studying this language.
    I am Swiss German, so I have studied German a little when I was back in 4th grade. I am considering taking German because there is a possibility that I will attend a German speaking university, though the chances are VERY VERY small.
    Since I know a little German, I can understand it, but I can't write it and am able to read text only slowly to fully understand it (my vocabulary is also limited.)
    Thank you
    If you cannot speak the language well enough take Language ab initio SL. If you decide to do Spanish, consider Language B SL, especially if they see that you've taken 3 years of Spanish yet opted for ab initio (US Colleges).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WinterVanity)
    Thank you
    Hey I am from Lugano, switzerland too
    As for my A1 I took Italian and for B french, you know we learn it during middle school and so on. If I were you I'd pick the language you speak the best
    I didnt study french for 4 years, got in the B SL course and ended up with a 7, its really easy
    If you speak german well enough I'd take it as my A1, spanish if you have background it would be better than german if you do not speak it well
    The Language B exam is extremely easy, I'd do spanish though but its up to you, did you have a look at the papers? Taking German Ab initio might be a good choice as well, its up to you really

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure what IB subjects I should choose and I'm a bit unsure as to what is the ideal package. Here are my (possible) subject choices for IB:

HL Maths
    HL Physics
    HL Chemistry
    SL English
    SL Dutch
    SL Geography or Economics

I'm not 100% sure what I would like study in the future, but maybe in the following fields: physics/chemistry based, chemical technologies and civil and structural engineering. Career choices include: chemical/petroleum/offshore/energy engineer, chemical researcher, industrial chemist, geophysicist and a metallurgist.

I am very good at maths (did GCSE in 1 year and got an A*). I enjoy physics and chemistry as well. I like geography but would possibly like to go into the business side of those career choices in the future.

I would like to know:
    1. If the chosen subjects are suitable for what I would like to do?
    2. If not what should I change?
    3. Does Geography or Economics fit my choices best?
    4. What top universities are there for what I would like to do?
    5. Any other comments?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the help!
    Well I speak swiss-german at home all the time, which is quite different from German, but I am able to speak German quite well, though I do have to think before saying anything. On the other hand, I do not speak Spanish at all, I only know the present tense and very little vocabulary and because I had just found out my school is offering ib German, I am preferring to take German now. Still unsure what levels to take.
    Thank you for the Language B advice andreavivan, I'm considering taking Language B SL now. (:

ReputationRep:
    HL Maths, Chemistry, and Physics? Well, you're either very stupid or very masochistic.

Seriously, all of those subjects are ridiculously difficult at HL, so I would recommend only doing one or two of them to HL, otherwise you won't get decent grades anyway..

Oh, and A*s aren't always an indicator of how well you'll do in IB. The three lads in my year doing HL Maths all got very high A*s at GCSE, and none of them are predicted above a 5. One of them dropped down to standard because he was doing four HLs, but the other two are basically aiming for 3s or 4s, it's so difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loonyplatypus)
    HL Maths, Chemistry, and Physics? Well, you're either very stupid or very masochistic.

Seriously, all of those subjects are ridiculously difficult at HL, so I would recommend only doing one or two of them to HL, otherwise you won't get decent grades anyway..

Oh, and A*s aren't always an indicator of how well you'll do in IB. The three lads in my year doing HL Maths all got very high A*s at GCSE, and none of them are predicted above a 5. One of them dropped down to standard because he was doing four HLs, but the other two are basically aiming for 3s or 4s, it's so difficult.
    *echo*

Physics and Chemistry are supposed to be hard. If you're good at them though (say natural), and truly enjoy them there's no reason why you shouldn't pick this combo. My friend does pretty much exactly your selection and is a huge slacker and he's getting 7's for his phys and chem, though he barely does any work for them at all.

MATHS is a different kettle of fish however. GCSE's really don't say anything about your maths at IB. I did GCSE a year early as well (98% score), and even did an AS level in year 11 and still find HL maths very difficult (I'll have to work my ass off to get a 7) and the guy i mentioned is currently on about a 5. You're also not doing yourself any favours with internal assessments (coursework, if you like to call it that) because the sciences and HL maths have shetloads of those. And maths ones are tough, you'll be spending at least 10-15 hours on them (in a week) if you want good marks.

That being said though, there is no "easy" choice of subjects. It's all hard. Just pick what you enjoy, cause that's what you'll do best at, and that clearly is maths and science for you. If you don't like history, you'll still find it hard even if some people might start saying "history is easier than physics" (trust me, it's not). Especially with those career dreams you have little choice BUT your selection!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'm currently in year 10, and I thought I could use some help choosing my IB subjects next year....

I'm thinking of going into the area of environments, maybe something to do with natural disasters. Or I want to become a technician, or even considering medicine. So... Well, I want to keep my options open

What I am considering at the moment are these:

HL Biology
    HL Physics
    HL Korean

SL English
    SL Maths
    SL Environmental systems

My main concern is...
    is environmental systems not really recognised at universities? Should I be better off taking geography?? But I think EVS is more environment centred, and that's why I was considering it...

And, is physics HL reallly hard?? Someone at my school says HL chemistry is equally hard, and I was gonna take either chem or phys at HL anyway. And should I consider my grades more or my interest when choosing subjects? I think I like phys more but get better grades at chem??

SOOOO confused...
    Would be really great if I can use some help, thanks )

ReputationRep:
    Update: I got a 3 for English and 3 for maths now, even worse...
    and all my teachers hate me...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both. I understand that HL Maths, Physics and Chemistry are going to be hard. But out of the subjects that UWC Maastricht offers, I enjoy these subjects the most. I also would like to possibly to study to be a Chemical Engineer and I then need these subjects at higher (not sure about physics). If I would then do HL Maths, Chemistry and Economics I think it would be the same thing for me. And coming back to the maths, I am already doing half the course that HL Maths is doing I'm not worried about Maths. And Welix...I'm probably similar to your friend...I don't study hard but still get A's
    Thanks Again,
    Lawrence

ReputationRep:
    Look your not stupid at all, you just need to practice exam technique in those two subjects and if your still doing bad get a tutor.
    If you get 7's in all your other subjects and the same score in those two in the exam your'll still have 34 points plus the other 3 I think it is for TOK and that other activity you have to do that has points.

ReputationRep:
    It's not about IB vs A-Level; not about your present boyfriend vs you next boyfriend/future husband. It's about a year in HKU law school or a year in a IB school. A no brainer; HKU law school of course. You will find 100x more new friends, 100x more diverse and colourful cultural life, and 100x new things to get you excited. And, you are guaranteed a place in a one-year-exchange programme (the law school has entered into exchange agreements with 150 leading universities worldwide). Trust me, I know both HKU and some famous IB schools in HK.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to study IB Diploma in 2010-2011 in Hong Kong.

Subjects Choosing:

English A1 SL
    Chinese A2 SL
    Maths HL
    Geography HL
    Economics HL

Chemistry SL / Environmental Systems?

chemistry more competitive in universities?
    is environmental systems more easier, so i can have a higher confidence on achieving a better total score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evanwong_boy)

Subjects Choosing:

English A1 SL
    Chinese A2 SL
    Maths HL
    Geography HL
    Economics HL

is environmental systems more easier, so i can have a higher confidence on achieving a better total score?
    It depends on what you want to do. Overall, universities do not care what you take for SL subjects, so I would advise you do subject you enjoy or can score well in. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evanwong_boy)

Subjects Choosing:

English A1 SL
    Chinese A2 SL
    Maths HL
    Geography HL
    Economics HL

I would say enviro is easier, but a lot of people in my grade chose enviro because they expected it to be a bit easier realized that it's a lot of work and it's hard.
    i would say chemistry is higher regarded by unis but it depends on what you plan on studying in uni.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am set to start the IB in September 2010 and am intending to apply for Mathematics with Physics at Cambridge come 2012. I looks set to take Maths, Physics and Economics at HL with Further Maths, English and French at SL. What I was wondering is whether it would make more sense taking Further Maths (as I currently am) or, instead, take Chemistry at HL instead of Further Maths SL, thereby demoting Economics to SL for the degree course I wish to take - I supposed that a second science might be advantageous.

I'm not worried about the workload or anything like that, as was discussed above.

Many thanks in advance

mastermind_107

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, English and math are the most important subjects. I think you just need to adjust to the IB style questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danomind)
    Hi guys, I have to decide on something that may change my life:

-I study in Hong Kong.

-I got 10 A*s and 1 A in GCSEs.

- Am doing IB for 6 months now, but my grades are dropping significantly :eek3: and it's so stressful and I'm worn out.

- My report grade was a: 34 for IB (excluding bonus points)

- HKU is accepting me for LLB Law based on an "Early admissions scheme" for my good GCSE results.

- HKU LLB law requires usually a 38-40 PG.

- 1) Should I go? I just transfered schools to do the IB, and that itself had changed my life. Made more friends than I ever did in this new school, can't bear to leave them.

2) If I stay and do IB for 1 more year, I doubt my PG will be high enough to even apply back to HKU.

3) I really had hopes for oxbridge or ivy leagues when I was doing GCSEs, but now the dreams are shattered....

4) My IB school now has lazy teachers that do not teach well (except for Bio).

My grades for now:

Biology HL- 7
    English A1 HL- 4
    Geography HL- 7
    Chinese SL- 6
    History SL- 7
    Math SL- 3

Pls help me figure some things out
    Feeling depressed and miserable...
    Hey. I was in your exact same position and I actually did pull out of the IB program after the first year. It was probabely the most hardest decision I had to make in my entire life, but looking back, definately the right one. If you really believe that you can't cope with it, then I suggest you pull out and find a good A level school. Or if you really do want to do the IB, knuckle down and keep going. But if you want to know how I'm doing, send me a personal message and I'll get back to you Good luck OP!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.