Turn on thread page Beta

The "Which IB subjects should I choose" Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Im wondering if GCSE additional maths (CIE syllabus) is a good headstart for IB. If im set to get a B in it, will i get a good headstart for HL Math. Also, realistically, how much work do i have to put in a week to get a decent grade in HL maths (5-7)?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetfreedom99)
    I'm currently a sophomore (grade 10) and I'm set to enter the IB diploma next year. Currently, I'm pretty sure about these classes:

HL English
    HL Biology
    HL Psychology
    SL Spanish
    SL Math

However, I am stuck on what to pick for my 6th class. I was considering SL Music, but that class is set to be eliminated next year, so I am deciding between Environmental Systems & Societies, or French Ab Initio. I am definitely much stronger in languages than I am in most sciences (oddly enough, my school doesn't have HL Spanish--if they did, I would take it), but most people are telling me it would be too confusing and illogical to pick two foreign languages.
    I'd be grateful for any advice--I have to pick my classes soon. Thanks in advance!
    Why would it be confusing and illogical? Take French if you think you'd enjoy it and do well in it...no brainer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mastermind_107)
    Hey,

I am set to start the IB in September 2010 and am intending to apply for Mathematics with Physics at Cambridge come 2012. I looks set to take Maths, Physics and Economics at HL with Further Maths, English and French at SL. What I was wondering is whether it would make more sense taking Further Maths (as I currently am) or, instead, take Chemistry at HL instead of Further Maths SL, thereby demoting Economics to SL for the degree course I wish to take - I supposed that a second science might be advantageous.

I'm not worried about the workload or anything like that, as was discussed above.

Many thanks in advance

mastermind_107
    If you think it's likely you might want to switch from maths+physics to natural sciences chemistry might be sensible, otherwise if take as much maths as humanly possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishmu3)
    Hi, Im wondering if GCSE additional maths (CIE syllabus) is a good headstart for IB. If im set to get a B in it, will i get a good headstart for HL Math. Also, realistically, how much work do i have to put in a week to get a decent grade in HL maths (5-7)?

Thanks
    What are you likely to get in non-additional maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetfreedom99)
    I'm currently a sophomore (grade 10) and I'm set to enter the IB diploma next year. Currently, I'm pretty sure about these classes:

HL English
    HL Biology
    HL Psychology
    SL Spanish
    SL Math

However, I am stuck on what to pick for my 6th class. I was considering SL Music, but that class is set to be eliminated next year, so I am deciding between Environmental Systems & Societies, or French Ab Initio. I am definitely much stronger in languages than I am in most sciences (oddly enough, my school doesn't have HL Spanish--if they did, I would take it), but most people are telling me it would be too confusing and illogical to pick two foreign languages.
    I'd be grateful for any advice--I have to pick my classes soon. Thanks in advance!
    I think you already answered your question yourself - " I am definitely much stronger in languages than I am in most sciences". Why should you take something you're not very good at (science), when there's a possibility of taking something you are good at (language)?
    From my own experience (I'm taking two foreign languages), it is not that confusing as it may seem. Especially if you're somewhat advanced in Spanish, it shouldn't that much of a problem. Go for French!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently taking Chemistry at HL and English A1 at SL. After the first few weeks of school, I am feeling a bit insecure about my subject choice: I can't understand anything in Chemistry lessons and, on the contrary, results of my English A1 commentaries have been very encouraging (all above 80%).

My school allows its students to change their subject combination before halfway through the school year (which started just 2 months ago). Should I switch the levels of these two subjects (ie. taking Chemistry at SL and English A1 at HL) ?

If future aspirations matter in such decisions, well, sadly, I don't have any plan for university or future career yet. However, it's not as likely that I'll go into some chemical engineering as will I pursue a social science/literature major.

A few more particulars that I think will be of some help: I am also taking Business & Management and Mathematics at HL and Theater at SL. I have no problem with those subjects, love them even :cool:. Thank you for spending your time helping this newbie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxamazexxx)
    I'm currently taking Chemistry at HL and English A1 at SL. After the first few weeks of school, I am feeling a bit insecure about my subject choice: I can't understand anything in Chemistry lessons and, on the contrary, results of my English A1 commentaries have been very encouraging (all above 80%).

My school allows its students to change their subject combination before halfway through the school year (which started just 2 months ago). Should I switch the levels of these two subjects (ie. taking Chemistry at SL and English A1 at HL) ?

If future aspirations matter in such decisions, well, sadly, I don't have any plan for university or future career yet. However, it's not as likely that I'll go into some chemical engineering as will I pursue a social science/literature major.

A few more particulars that I think will be of some help: I am also taking Business & Management and Mathematics at HL and Theater at SL. I have no problem with those subjects, love them even :cool:. Thank you for spending your time helping this newbie

I do chemistry and English A1 at higher level and I STRONGLY advise you to change to chemistry SL now because if you don’t understand chemistry from the beginning you will struggle immensely later in the course which will bring you down emotionally and your grades will go down as well. PLUS there isn't much of a difference between english A1 HL or SL
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much ! I can't agree more with you on what you said about Chemistry HL. But are you sure 'there isn't much of a difference between English A1 HL or SL' ? Cos I think they're differentiated for a reason ...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much ! I can't agree more with you on what you said about Chemistry HL. But are you sure 'there isn't much of a difference between English A1 HL or SL' ? Cos I think they're differentiated for a reason ...
    Basically at english A1 HL you read more books, 15 instead of 12 I think and its harder to get a 7 because they mark you harsher

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind reading more books or being marked more harshly . Someone told me when I made the subject choice that the gap between English A1 SL and HL isn't as big as that between, say, Chemistry SL and HL. I've got the gist now, thanks

ReputationRep:
    You have to write another World Literature essay.
    The rubric is much stricter for HL students.
    The grade boundaries are somewhat higher for HL students.
    You don't receive guiding questions on Paper 1 (commentary).

I would go for English If you do not understand the material now, you will find the more advanced topics extremely difficult.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to take:
    HL: Economics, Maths, History.
    SL: English, Spanish, Chemistry.

I'm not totally sure about doing HL Maths though, I'm worried I won't be capable enough. If so, I may switch to Chemistry HL and do Maths SL. I will have to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigFudamental)
    What are you likely to get in non-additional maths?
    Hi, sorry for the delayed reply.

For GCSE Maths I'm on an A*.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Looking at past papers and mark schemes of IB Physics, it seems more relevant to medicine than Biology (I love the human side of Biology but I don't care for plants or Ecology). Would Physics be a good choice instead of Biology or would I be better off sticking with Biology? My other HL's would be Maths and Chemistry. I thought I hated Physics before but I've realised I've only hated what my current GCSE and potentially future A-level exam board has set, and I really like the look of IB Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duckzilla)
    Looking at past papers and mark schemes of IB Physics, it seems more relevant to medicine than Biology (I love the human side of Biology but I don't care for plants or Ecology). Would Physics be a good choice instead of Biology or would I be better off sticking with Biology? My other HL's would be Maths and Chemistry. I thought I hated Physics before but I've realised I've only hated what my current GCSE and potentially future A-level exam board has set, and I really like the look of IB Physics.
    you do know that some unis require biology? tbh i would have thought biology would have given you an upper hand, but yes you do have to learn all the dull stuff like plants and ecology.... although in physics as well you will have to learn stuff that is irrelevant as well.

but if you have no problem with not going for unis that do require chemistry then go for it. but beware, IB physics HL is regarded as one of the most difficult HL's in the IB.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So, I'm very torn. I want to be a psychologist when I'm older. Here are the courses I chose:

Higher:
    English
    History
    Chemistry
    Music

Standard:
    Math
    Latin

I'm very unconfident of the choices and I would also like to probably drop one of the HLs (probably chemistry... maybe switch to bio?). I can always change them though before the end of the year. I did not pick psychology because the teacher is very bad and is out a lot of the time. PLEASE HELP!:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjread1201)
    Hi,

So, I'm very torn. I want to be a psychologist when I'm older. Here are the courses I chose:

Higher:
    English
    History
    Chemistry
    Music

Standard:
    Math
    Latin

I'm very unconfident of the choices and I would also like to probably drop one of the HLs (probably chemistry... maybe switch to bio?). I can always change them though before the end of the year. I did not pick psychology because the teacher is very bad and is out a lot of the time. PLEASE HELP!:o:
    If you want to go into psychology I'd suggest you reconsider taking psychology, or maybe take a psych class outside of school? Is there anyone who can help you with psych/can you self-study it?
    HL chem is harder that HL bio, but SL chem is much easier than SL bio (in my opinion of course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjread1201)
    Hi,

Higher:
    English
    History
    Chemistry
    Music

Standard:
    Math
    Latin

I'm looking to study Psychology at Uni, and am currently doing my 1st IB year. I chose to do both Bio and Psych HL because I was recommended to do so.
    If I were you, I would switch Chem to Bio because I think it'll be better for your Uni applications. I would also choose to study Psych even though your teacher is bad.
    My psych teacher isn't the best either (she doesn't really teach, just gives us sheets of info and tells us to take notes from the book), but I find the information quite easy. It's nothing that's very hard to understand - at least so far it isn't. It's actually my best subject. All I do for it is to take notes out of the Psych book (we use the one by John Crane) and then make cue cards to help me study.
    Check out this website: http://ibpsychology.com/ It has a bunch of help for psych in general as a subject, and also for the IA and EE.

Well, all I'm saying is, it's not a difficult subject. If you enjoy it and you're willing to put time into just doing some self study at home, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duckzilla)
    Most people at my school who want to go to into Medicine are studying Bio and Chem HL. But I guess either Bio or Physics would be okay. (: I'd say Bio though because it is a lot easier. Up to you though, depends on which one you find easier and which one you like more.

(Original post by HiBear)
    but if you have no problem with not going for unis that do require chemistry then go for it. but beware, IB physics HL is regarded as one of the most difficult HL's in the IB.
    THIS. I'm taking Bio HL, and although it's a lot of info, it's not too bad when it comes to understanding and processing it. My older brother decided to take Physics HL (because he liked it before the IB) and he struggled a lot with it. In the end for his exams he studied like crazy for physics and was actually able to get a 6. He was the only one in his physics class that was able to get higher than a 5. :/ They were a pretty small class and all, but still.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently 5 out of 7 people in my school last year got a 7 in Physics HL
    Don't listen to people telling you it's ridiculously tough. It's my easiest subject (seriously)
    It's hard if you don't have a Physics-oriented mind. If you happen to be good at it, it's a breeze

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.