Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering for next year when I do IB, if you need to have studied a subject before in GCSE to do it in IB. Also I am aiming for an A in extend maths, if I get an A* in my exam, could I possibly do Maths HL in Ib?

Could you please post a helpful comment on my situation.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    to be honest additional maths is a better indication of performance for IB maths higher level than extended maths. Ideally a score of at least an A at additional maths predicts that you'll get at least a 6 at Maths higher level assuming you work at a constant rate. Yeah you can, it's called ab nitio..you can do so for languages. I'm not sure when it comes to humanities or sciences. If you mean those subjects and are really sure about doing them despite not having done the GCSE, I suggest opting for standard level.

ReputationRep:
    I read this thread a while ago.I think it is time for me to contribute.
    Here are the subjects I chose.
    History(HL)A walk in the park,I love history.
    English A2(HL)It is ok so far.I am currently reading The Great Gatsby.
    Spanish A1(HL)Pretty easy,I am reading greek plays.
    Art and Design(SL):This one is a tricky subject.I just need to work on my sketch book.
    Maths(SL): Not good.I barely understand.I need to pull myself together,stop watching Lost and start working hard.
    Biology(SL):One word comes to my mind...failure.I am getting owned by this subject.So much that the teacher requested a meeting with my parents.I really need to get my act together.But it is tough since I don't really like the subject nor do I think it will be useful for me after I am done with the IB.Too bad it was either this,physics or chemistry.Unfortunately I suck at the 3 of them.

ReputationRep:
    hello, im new member here...i will be taking ib exam on may 2011...
    im doing English B HL, Math HL, Physics HL, Chem HL, Malay A1 SL, and Business SL

ibo in singapore make our school compulsory to take english b hl otherwise we must take a2 sl...

im a lil bit stressed...

im will be doing engineering in future, according the agreement with the sponsor...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConorLeow)
    I was wondering for next year when I do IB, if you need to have studied a subject before in GCSE to do it in IB. Also I am aiming for an A in extend maths, if I get an A* in my exam, could I possibly do Maths HL in Ib?

Could you please post a helpful comment on my situation.
    Thank you
    even if you are good in extend math only pick math HL if you are willing to spent most of your time on math... I do math every singel day, its not impossible, but if you pick it juste be aware of that.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys... for next year I'm planning:

Biology HL
    English A1 HL
    French B HL
    History/Psychology HL (Still have to make up my mind...)

Italian A1 SL
    Math SL

However, I'm missing a SL subject. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by max0005)
    Hey guys... for next year I'm planning:

Biology HL
    English A1 HL
    French B HL
    History/Psychology HL (Still have to make up my mind...)

Italian A1 SL
    Math SL

However, I'm missing a SL subject. Any suggestions?
    You can do 4 HL's and 2 SL's and then drop one HL to SL should you decide it's too hard or keep them all It's not against IB rules.

ReputationRep:
    ok. i am choosing my subjects for ib next year, and here are some of the choices of mine.
    english a1 HL
    math HL
    physics HL

economics SL
    chinese ab initio
    business/chemistry

i am looking to find 1 more SL subject. but can't decide whether to take business management or one more science (probably chemistry). according to you guys, which one will be easier at SL? (i know this has probably been asked 100 times, but i can't re-read 24 pages )
    thanks
    edit: i took these subject in IGCSE:
    EFL (english first language)
    ICT (Information & Communication Technology)
    E Math
    Physics
    Economics
    Business Studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thruyourfaketan)
    You can do 4 HL's and 2 SL's and then drop one HL to SL should you decide it's too hard or keep them all It's not against IB rules.
    Yeah, I know, but I'm not sure my teachers/coordinator would like the idea. They'd probably have me go back to the standard 3/3 option. I was very interested in Sociology SL as it's a subject which seems having a lot of potential, but as well as not being offered by my school it doesn't really fit in with the rest of my subjects... Would you think starting a new language (I think it's level ABInitio) would be a good idea?

Another question, should I try to "link" my subjects?
    (EG: Sociology/Psychology Track), eg:

Psychology HL
    Sociology HL
    ITGS HL
    Biology HL

English A1 SL
    History SL
    Math SL

(That is just an example, although I would find it to be a pretty interesting combination...)

Sorry if I sound a bit too compulsive, it's just we're not being told much at school and it looks all pretty complicated! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know, but I'm not sure my teachers/coordinator would like the idea. They'd probably have me go back to the standard 3/3 option. I was very interested in Sociology SL as it's a subject which seems having a lot of potential, but as well as not being offered by my school it doesn't really fit in with the rest of my subjects... Would you think starting a new language (I think it's level ABInitio) would be a good idea?

Another question, should I try to "link" my subjects?
    (EG: Sociology/Psychology Track), eg:

Psychology HL
    Sociology HL
    ITGS HL
    Biology HL

English A1 SL
    History SL
    Math SL

(That is just an example, although I would find it to be a pretty interesting combination...)

Sorry if I sound a bit too compulsive, it's just we're not being told much at school and it looks all pretty complicated! :eek3:
    haha it's okay, you sound less freaked out than me a year ago, believe me :yep: Picking good classes can be really stressful.
    Hm, sociology sounds interesting and it might be worth looking into, but make sure there isn't too much overlap between sociology and psychology because uni's typically don't like you taking two classes in which you essentially learn the same thing. For example, they typically don't like you taking Business and Management if you're taking Economics. I don't know much about Sociology though, so I don't know if that's the case there as well. Though having a clear focus with your classes is a good thing when it comes time to apply to uni because it shows you really have an interest in the subject. If I were you I would look at university course requirements and see if they have a preference/requirements for your course
    I know several people who did AB initio spanish and are finding it fun as well as easy
    I think it comes down to what you're really interested in, cause if you find your classes fun it won't be such a pain to study for them
    Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions if you have them

ReputationRep:
    haha it's okay, you sound less freaked out than me a year ago, believe me :yep: Picking good classes can be really stressful.
    Hm, sociology sounds interesting and it might be worth looking into, but make sure there isn't too much overlap between sociology and psychology because uni's typically don't like you taking two classes in which you essentially learn the same thing. For example, they typically don't like you taking Business and Management if you're taking Economics. I don't know much about Sociology though, so I don't know if that's the case there as well. Though having a clear focus with your classes is a good thing when it comes time to apply to uni because it shows you really have an interest in the subject. If I were you I would look at university course requirements and see if they have a preference/requirements for your course
    I know several people who did AB initio spanish and are finding it fun as well as easy
    I think it comes down to what you're really interested in, cause if you find your classes fun it won't be such a pain to study for them
    Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions if you have them
    Well, I'm really into computers and technology, and like spending time working/analyzing them. This year I've passed proficiency in english (ESOL C2), so my language level isn't really bothering me. I guess I should be looking into something on a scientific track (possibly having Math HL), but I don't think I'm good enough to HL my Math course (although I'm taking Extended in IGCSE)... what do you think of:

French B HL
    English A1 HL
    Biology HL
    History HL

Italian A1 SL
    Math SL
    Computer SL

My coordinator told me it's possible to have both Italian and English A1 as long as they're not both on the same level. Is there too much crossover between computer and math? Should I follow a more scientific course and switch from History to Psychology? I've had a look at the course program and honestly as for IB History seems to be more interesting/complete than Psychology. I guess Psychology (being also a new subject to most students) is more of an introduction which has then to be further studied at University levels...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm really into computers and technology, and like spending time working/analyzing them. This year I've passed proficiency in english (ESOL C2), so my language level isn't really bothering me. I guess I should be looking into something on a scientific track (possibly having Math HL), but I don't think I'm good enough to HL my Math course (although I'm taking Extended in IGCSE)... what do you think of:

French B HL
    English A1 HL
    Biology HL
    History HL

Italian A1 SL
    Math SL
    Computer SL

My coordinator told me it's possible to have both Italian and English A1 as long as they're not both on the same level. Is there too much crossover between computer and math? Should I follow a more scientific course and switch from History to Psychology? I've had a look at the course program and honestly as for IB History seems to be more interesting/complete than Psychology. I guess Psychology (being also a new subject to most students) is more of an introduction which has then to be further studied at University levels...
    Those classes look really solid, the crossover problem definitely does not exist between math and computers
    Hmm history differs so much person-to-person, I know people who love it and find it easy, while I personally find it really tough. But it's definitely possible to get through if you work hard and an interest in history helps a lot as well of course I'd say if you find it interesting, take history.
    Since you like computers so much, is it possible to take computers at HL?
    Math HL...really depends how much time you want to dedicate to math. To get a good score in this class you should probably review every day/every two days. I don't know about IGCSE's so I can't really judge, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Those classes look really solid, the crossover problem definitely does not exist between math and computers
    Hmm history differs so much person-to-person, I know people who love it and find it easy, while I personally find it really tough. But it's definitely possible to get through if you work hard and an interest in history helps a lot as well of course I'd say if you find it interesting, take history.
    Since you like computers so much, is it possible to take computers at HL?
    Math HL...really depends how much time you want to dedicate to math. To get a good score in this class you should probably review every day/every two days. I don't know about IGCSE's so I can't really judge, sorry
    Ok, here's the point. I must take French B HL and English A1 HL, regarding the other two HL's and three SL's I'm basically free to arrange them as it best pleases me. However, Math HL... dunno! My teacher recommended Math SL but never mentioned an HL course, while my coordinator told me that thinking grade-wise Math HL would probably lower my grade. Computer HL... as far as I know the course isn't even offered as SL (meaning the school would find a teacher for me), so I see bringing it HL quite hardous of a task. Finally, regarding History: According to Wikipedia History HL includes aspects as:

Causes, Practices and Effects of War
    Nationalist and Independence Movements, Decolonisation and Challenges Facing New States
    The Rise and Rule of Single-Party States
    Peace and Co-operation: international organisations and multiparty states
    The Cold War
    The State and its Relationship with Religion and with Minorities
    Meaning that it would take historical analysis beyond the classic "learn and repeat" study (at least, that's the traditional history class here in Italy) but would analyse historical situations from broader and (in my opinion) more interesting points of view (of course, that wouldn't make study unnecessary :p: ).

I don't really like the idea of dropping physics and chemistry, but as they are the subjects on which I'm having more difficulties I don't find it a good idea to bring them on my IB program.

Just another question regarding the marking scheme. In the end each subject carries a total of 7 marks, which makes a total grade out of 42 by taking three SLs and three HLs. By taking four HL's would the total grade be out of 49 or remain to 42?

Thanks for all the help you're giving me and time you're dedicating!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, here's the point. I must take French B HL and English A1 HL, regarding the other two HL's and three SL's I'm basically free to arrange them as it best pleases me. However, Math HL... dunno! My teacher recommended Math SL but never mentioned an HL course, while my coordinator told me that thinking grade-wise Math HL would probably lower my grade. Computer HL... as far as I know the course isn't even offered as SL (meaning the school would find a teacher for me), so I see bringing it HL quite hardous of a task. Finally, regarding History: According to Wikipedia History HL includes aspects as:

Meaning that it would take historical analysis beyond the classic "learn and repeat" study (at least, that's the traditional history class here in Italy) but would analyse historical situations from broader and (in my opinion) more interesting points of view (of course, that wouldn't make study unnecessary :p: ).

I don't really like the idea of dropping physics and chemistry, but as they are the subjects on which I'm having more difficulties I don't find it a good idea to bring them on my IB program.

Just another question regarding the marking scheme. In the end each subject carries a total of 7 marks, which makes a total grade out of 42 by taking three SLs and three HLs. By taking four HL's would the total grade be out of 49 or remain to 42?

Thanks for all the help you're giving me and time you're dedicating!
    You're welcome I know what it's like to me confused hehe. My schedule is still somewhat of a mess :rolleyes:
    Ah okay, well, for me, that's the really hard part about history. Making my own opinions But if you find that awesome, go for it!
    Hmm well it may be safer for your grade to take computers SL then, since good grades in HL are tough to get without good teachers who really know the course and what they're doing. Same probably goes for Math HL as it a hard course

6 IB exams will go towards your final IB grade and your final IB grade is out of 42 (+ up to 3 bonus points from EE/TOK). If you take a 7th subject you will get a grade out of 7 for that and a certificate for the class.

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome I know what it's like to me confused hehe. My schedule is still somewhat of a mess :rolleyes:
    Ah okay, well, for me, that's the really hard part about history. Making my own opinions But if you find that awesome, go for it!
    Hmm well it may be safer for your grade to take computers SL then, since good grades in HL are tough to get without good teachers who really know the course and what they're doing. Same probably goes for Math HL as it a hard course

6 IB exams will go towards your final IB grade and your final IB grade is out of 42 (+ up to 3 bonus points from EE/TOK). If you take a 7th subject you will get a grade out of 7 for that and a certificate for the class.
    Mmmh ok, thanks for your advice and support! I'll talk (again) with my coordinator tomorrow to try to get things sorted out, hopefully by the end of next week I'll have a better idea of where i'm heading! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I'm flying abroad in august to start my first year of IB program. My subjects are

HL: English B, Psychology, Biology
    SL: Russian (first group), Mathematics, Arts

Who are taking Biology HL-
    if I am not that strong in Biology, so won't it be too hard for me?

I have no other choice, because I hate physics and in my country we have absolutely another chemistry program, so I don't want to take it.

Thanks for your advice!
    And Good luck every1 who's taking IB

ReputationRep:
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Dont Go In The Ib Program You Dumbass

ReputationRep:
    noo, i really enjoy learning so there's no way i won't do ib)

ReputationRep:
    I took biology HL despite not being good at biology at all.
    I struggled alot and managed to scrape a 5 by doing loads of studying and going to an intense study course.

SL is far easier and if you are able to take that option then do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deuxbydeux)
    I took biology HL despite not being good at biology at all.
    I struggled alot and managed to scrape a 5 by doing loads of studying and going to an intense study course.

SL is far easier and if you are able to take that option then do that.
    thanks a lot for ur answer
    unfortunately the only option I have is to change biology HL to arts HL, but that would be 1000 times worse

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.