Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie-Bananie)
    thanks a lot for ur answer
    unfortunately the only option I have is to change biology HL to arts HL, but that would be 1000 times worse
    DONT TAKE ART HL. Thats even worse!
    If those are your only options then go for Bio. Some stuff is easy and some stuff is really hard. I found that with my exam that if I knew all the easy stuff and the core sections that were difficult that I would pass.
    It also depends on the teacher. mine was awful but the teacher I had at my study course was amazing. If i had had him the whole 2 years of IB I think I wouldve done much better.
    You can also bring up your grades with the internal assessments and the group 4 project. As long as you try your best and study for the final exams youll get decent grades.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm considering dropping from SL A2 Chinese to SL B Chinese (I'm in year 12). I took IGCSE Chinese in year 9, and spent the 2 years after that doing IGCSE French. Initially I thought I'd be able to cope with A2 because I am after all a native speaker, but the 2 year break has really taken a toll on my proficiency in Chinese, and right now I'm only on a high 5/low 6 (my teacher has basically said that it's unlikely that I'll get a 7 for this subject).

My reasons for wanting a change are basically
    -Chinese B2 will guarantee me a 7
    -I have learnt pretty much nothing in my Chinese classes this year. The only reason I'm not failing this subject completely is because I take classes outside school
    -I'm currently on 776 for my HL subjects, and I want to be able to maintain that or boost it to 777
    -I'll probably be applying to universities in the UK or in Canada, so Chinese shouldn't really be important

HOWEVER I've been told that some universities have discounted applications of students who are native speakers taking B SL, and dropping A2 also means that I don't get a bilingual diploma.

Do you guys think it's worth the change? And does anyone know if that ^ is true?

ReputationRep:
    Lol Art HL is A LOT OF SLEEPLESS NIGHTS. seriously. but if u like art enough go for it..
    your allowed to have more than three HLs though it is considered pretty insane... I did art HL, Bio HL, English HL and Filipino HL my first year of IB and dropped down to SL Biology my senior year.. One thing i can say is that Bio SL is alot easier than HL; HL has 13 chapters to cover whereas SL is only down to six. If your up for it you can take the 4 HL classes, get a feel of what you like, and drop the one you don't like. Or you can graduate with 4 HLs, I know someone who did that too :].

ReputationRep:
    Biology HL > Art HL

But i only say this because getting a 6-7 in Art is much, much, much more difficult than Biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh Dangg)
    At the moment I'm considering dropping from SL A2 Chinese to SL B Chinese (I'm in year 12). I took IGCSE Chinese in year 9, and spent the 2 years after that doing IGCSE French. Initially I thought I'd be able to cope with A2 because I am after all a native speaker, but the 2 year break has really taken a toll on my proficiency in Chinese, and right now I'm only on a high 5/low 6 (my teacher has basically said that it's unlikely that I'll get a 7 for this subject).

My reasons for wanting a change are basically
    -Chinese B2 will guarantee me a 7
    -I have learnt pretty much nothing in my Chinese classes this year. The only reason I'm not failing this subject completely is because I take classes outside school
    -I'm currently on 776 for my HL subjects, and I want to be able to maintain that or boost it to 777
    -I'll probably be applying to universities in the UK or in Canada, so Chinese shouldn't really be important

HOWEVER I've been told that some universities have discounted applications of students who are native speakers taking B SL, and dropping A2 also means that I don't get a bilingual diploma.

Do you guys think it's worth the change? And does anyone know if that ^ is true?
    I would at least take Chinese B HL and thus have 4 HL. You should be fine then. B HL isn't too bad if you're pretty good at a language, and you could explain (if the ask) that you didn't feel comfortable studying so much literature when you're language capabilities aren't as good, since you've been living elsewhere, :blah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    I would at least take Chinese B HL and thus have 4 HL. You should be fine then. B HL isn't too bad if you're pretty good at a language, and you could explain (if the ask) that you didn't feel comfortable studying so much literature when you're language capabilities aren't as good, since you've been living elsewhere, :blah:
    My school doesn't allow students to take 4HL subjects, so that's not really an option ;| Their biggest problem with me making the change is that the number of students receiving the bilingual diploma will drop because even now, there are only around 10% of us doing A1 and A2 languages together.

And good luck with your remaining exams (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh Dangg)
    My school doesn't allow students to take 4HL subjects, so that's not really an option ;| Their biggest problem with me making the change is that the number of students receiving the bilingual diploma will drop because even now, there are only around 10% of us doing A1 and A2 languages together.

And good luck with your remaining exams (:
    Plead them to take 4 HLs? If you can't, I'd say stick with A2 B SL is way below your capabilities.

Thank you! Will need it for chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I am pretty much 100% sure I want to do the IB. I really enjoy the range of subjects I will be doing and their course detail.

So I'll be doing:
    HL Economics
    HL Maths
    HL History
    SL Chemistry
    SL Spanish
    SL English

A few questions . . .
    1. Honestly, how hard is HL Maths? Would it "kill me"? I'm doing GCSE Maths at the moment and should get an A/A*. Or is it mainly about staying organised and determined instead of being able to grasp the impossible? This is the only choice I'm slightly worried about.
    2. How similar is HL Economics to GCSE? I'm aware there is development (which I'm so excited about) but is it pretty much building on GCSE?
    3. How much work/homework would I be expected to do in SL English? Plenty of essays or sporadic?
    4. I want to study PPE at university and later get into stock trading or investment banking. Should I rearrange my subjects to anything else?
    5. How big is the leap from GCSE Chemistry to SL?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nowrin)
    Firstly, I am pretty much 100% sure I want to do the IB. I really enjoy the range of subjects I will be doing and their course detail.

So I'll be doing:
    HL Economics
    HL Maths
    HL History
    SL Chemistry
    SL Spanish
    SL English

A few questions . . .
    1. Honestly, how hard is HL Maths? Would it "kill me"? I'm doing GCSE Maths at the moment and should get an A/A*. Or is it mainly about staying organised and determined instead of being able to grasp the impossible? This is the only choice I'm slightly worried about.
    2. How similar is HL Economics to GCSE? I'm aware there is development (which I'm so excited about) but is it pretty much building on GCSE?
    3. How much work/homework would I be expected to do in SL English? Plenty of essays or sporadic?
    4. I want to study PPE at university and later get into stock trading or investment banking. Should I rearrange my subjects to anything else?

Thank you.
    1. If you're very much into maths, go for it; but be wary, it's very difficult.
    2. I wouldn't compare HL economics to GCSE personally; GCSE is a good grounding, but you could do HL economics without it per say.
    3. Depends on teacher.
    4. If there's any particular university you have in mind, I'd check their IB requirements.
    5. I don't feel qualified to answer.

ReputationRep:

So I'll be doing:
    HL Economics
    HL Maths
    HL History
    SL Chemistry
    SL Spanish
    SL English

A few questions . . .

Thank you.
    Good subjects for PPE. If HL maths becomes too hard, you can always drop down to SL.

Expect to be working hard, though.

ReputationRep:

So I'll be doing:
    HL Economics
    HL Maths
    HL History
    SL Chemistry
    SL Spanish
    SL English

A few questions . . .

Thank you.
    1.*Math*hl*really*isn't*all l*that*hard...if*you've*done *gcse*admath*it's*easier*at *the*start...but*as*long*as *you*practice*often*you*sho uld*be*fine
    2.*Development*won't*be*stud ied*until*the*end*of*year* 12*and*my*teacher*didn't*re ally*teach*it*because*no*on e*actually*attempts*doing*it *in*papers...but*then*ågain *you*say*you're*looking*for ward*to*it

Basically*it's*your*decision  and*what*you*want*to*do*

ReputationRep:
    if you are motivated you can get a good grade in higher maths but i highly SUGGEST YOU DON'T BOTHER unless your course for uni WILL DEFINITELY need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuks)
    1.*Math*hl*really*isn't*all l*that*hard...if*you've*done *gcse*admath*it's*easier*at *the*start...but*as*long*as *you*practice*often*you*sho uld*be*fine
    2.*Development*won't*be*stud ied*until*the*end*of*year* 12*and*my*teacher*didn't*re ally*teach*it*because*no*on e*actually*attempts*doing*it *in*papers...but*then*Ã¥gain *you*say*you're*looking*for ward*to*it

Basically*it's*your*decision  and*what*you*want*to*do*
    Ah okay, thank you!
    An development economics looks really interesting : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maybesBABY)
    if you are motivated you can get a good grade in higher maths but i highly SUGGEST YOU DON'T BOTHER unless your course for uni WILL DEFINITELY need it.
    Besides it being difficult, why?

ReputationRep:
    1. Hard, but if you're good at maths and have a good work ethic, it's fine.

3. I don't get much but I guess it varies from school to school.

5. Obviously a lot? It's not difficult if you're good at Chemistry though. I'm doing HL and I find it quite easy.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, thank you!
    An development economics looks really interesting : )
    It*really*isn't*what*you're  expecting*tbh*:p:
    And*with*regards*to*math*hl ...if*you*want*to*do*PPE*y ou'll*need*at*least*a*6*in *it...and*unis*don't*accept  SL

ReputationRep:
    who gives a flying ****?

ReputationRep:
    1) It might. Or at least t will not be worth your time. It could take up time from other things including other studies. Depends on you and how good you are with math.
    2)Not qualified to answer. ('Some' according to my classmates, they had the same textbook)
    3)S*** loads. Minimum is about 1 1500 essay/week. Since week 1. (i didn't cope to well)
    4)Dosent matter (check their website for requirements if any) you will still start from basics.
    5)Yes quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Besides it being difficult, why?
    you have five other subjects to worry about and your performance in maths (if its low and you feel demotivated) will affect work in other subjects.

it's unnecessary stress imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuks)
    It*really*isn't*what*you're  expecting*tbh*:p:
    And*with*regards*to*math*hl ...if*you*want*to*do*PPE*y ou'll*need*at*least*a*6*in *it...and*unis*don't*accept  SL
    WRONG. I got offers from Durham and Warwick for PPE with Math SL. If you're going to give advice make sure its correct.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.