Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok your subjects are good for PPE. Math HL is unnecessary in my opinion. I could do it with some practice but I chose Math SL where I can get an easy 7 and this allows me to concentrate on my other subjects.

I got PPE offers from top unis with the same combination as yours, except I had Physics instead of Chem and Geo instead of History. Just one tip..make sure you mention all three fields of study, politics, philosophy and economics, in your personal statement and why you're interested in them etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know all the questions, but here's my two cents:

1. HL Maths is HARD. I got a high A* in GCSE Maths and I struggle with some parts of SL Maths, whereas the HL people are basically aiming for 3s. As people have said before, you won't need HL Maths to get into uni, you only need it if you're actually going to do Maths.

3. For SL English, we didn't get very much homework at all. We had quite relaxed teachers though, and we got through the work quickly in lessons, so we had one essay every couple of months maybe? Obviously since we started Year 13 that increased in the run-up to exams, but it's easy to cope with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookahead)
    WRONG. I got offers from Durham and Warwick for PPE with Math SL. If you're going to give advice make sure its correct.
    Its*probably*because*you*had *a*7*plus*really*good*grad es*in*other*subjects...
    I*know*that*LSE*and*UCL*wo n't*accept*a*Math*SL*7*for *Econ*with*Politics*and*Eco n*with*Philosophy*so*i'm*no t*totally*wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nowrin)
    Firstly, I am pretty much 100% sure I want to do the IB. I really enjoy the range of subjects I will be doing and their course detail.

So I'll be doing:
    HL Economics
    HL Maths
    HL History
    SL Chemistry
    SL Spanish
    SL English

A few questions . . .
    1. Honestly, how hard is HL Maths? Would it "kill me"? I'm doing GCSE Maths at the moment and should get an A/A*. Or is it mainly about staying organised and determined instead of being able to grasp the impossible? This is the only choice I'm slightly worried about.
    2. How similar is HL Economics to GCSE? I'm aware there is development (which I'm so excited about) but is it pretty much building on GCSE?
    3. How much work/homework would I be expected to do in SL English? Plenty of essays or sporadic?
    4. I want to study PPE at university and later get into stock trading or investment banking. Should I rearrange my subjects to anything else?
    5. How big is the leap from GCSE Chemistry to SL?

Thank you.
    1. It's the former
    2. You don't need any background in economics to do IB economics.
    3. Not much. My class is extremely sporadic but not sure about SL.
    4. Hmm they look pretty solid
    5. SL chemistry is kind of a joke. It's really easy. The curve is very very nice :yep: and you dont really need any background knowledge (at least for me, the teacher reviewed everything).

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I am pretty much 100% sure I want to do the IB. I really enjoy the range of subjects I will be doing and their course detail.

So I'll be doing:
    HL Economics
    HL Maths
    HL History
    SL Chemistry
    SL Spanish
    SL English

A few questions . . .
    1. Honestly, how hard is HL Maths? Would it "kill me"? I'm doing GCSE Maths at the moment and should get an A/A*. Or is it mainly about staying organised and determined instead of being able to grasp the impossible? This is the only choice I'm slightly worried about.
    2. How similar is HL Economics to GCSE? I'm aware there is development (which I'm so excited about) but is it pretty much building on GCSE?
    3. How much work/homework would I be expected to do in SL English? Plenty of essays or sporadic?
    4. I want to study PPE at university and later get into stock trading or investment banking. Should I rearrange my subjects to anything else?

Thank you.
    1. It's hard, but if you keep on top of it and revise it's not going to kill you.
    2. The impression I've got from friends who do it is that the only real advance on GCSE is a few new terms, and it's not too difficult.
    3. We pretty much did no writing at all for the first year; you will do lots of reading, and there's plenty of coursework (both oral and written) to get done, but it's a fun course, in my opinion.
    4. Do whatever you're interested in; having history there shows you can write an essay, and maths shows you're intelligent, so that's fine.
    5. I'd expect it's a fair leap, but I don't really know. SL sciences don't seem too painful, from what I can tell.

ReputationRep:

So I'll be doing:
    HL Economics
    HL Maths
    HL History
    SL Chemistry
    SL Spanish
    SL English

A few questions . . .

Thank you.
    About Chemistry SL. I have loads of friends taking it and apparently they say that it is just a little harder than GCSE and they manage to get good grades (6-7) without working too hard. Chemistry HL, on the other hand is a different story and is a lot tougher than SL.

ReputationRep:

So I'll be doing:
    HL Economics
    HL Maths
    HL History
    SL Chemistry
    SL Spanish
    SL English

A few questions . . .

Thank you.
    1. The general ground rule for HL maths is basically - don't do it unless you need to, as someone previously said. I know the feeling of "oh I'm gonna work extremely hard when I start the IB", yeah you might keep it up for a few months or the first year but it definitely goes away. I know it may sound bitter and it's what everyone says (especially those of us that are finishing off our exams). Although, if you REALLY are motivated and really put a lot of effort (and by this I mean doing extra work that hasn't been set) then you will be fine.

2. Can't really comment as I didn't do IGCSE but most schools barely touch on development economics and HL is definitely not (one of the) hardest IB courses

3. For SL (i'm guessing A1) you will have essays to write up but it depends on how much you're willing to do and how much the teacher sets. Realistically, you won't be able to write great 2000 word essays on your first year but the more you practice the better you get at them (personally, I saw a masssive improvement over the 2 years only doing the essays set by the teachers)

4. Your subjects seem solid either way (once again, your choices should only change if you change your mind about maths hl)

5. I do Chemistry HL and my lessons were with only 1 other student (he did SL) and to my experience, SL is really not much of a big step up. It's doable and it's not as mathematically/calculation based as higher level is, I would go as far as saying that it's mostly definitions/rules/trends/conditions that are important as well as concepts of course which are only applied to a very short degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuks)
    Its*probably*because*you*had *a*7*plus*really*good*grad es*in*other*subjects...
    I*know*that*LSE*and*UCL*wo n't*accept*a*Math*SL*7*for *Econ*with*Politics*and*Eco n*with*Philosophy*so*i'm*no t*totally*wrong
    The OP is not asking about Econ with Pol/ Econ with Phil. Hes asking about PPE. And as far as I know, neither UCL nor LSE offer PPE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookahead)
    The OP is not asking about Econ with Pol/ Econ with Phil. Hes asking about PPE. And as far as I know, neither UCL nor LSE offer PPE.
    They're*almost*the*same*cour se...the*OP's*profile*says*P PE*or*Pol/Econ
    and*I*was*just*repeating*wh at*was*told*to*me*when*i* applied

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much everybody!
    I think I'll do Maths HL and if I really struggle, will switch : )

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much everybody!
    I think I'll do Maths HL and if I really struggle, will switch : )
    As*long*as*you*put*in*regu lar*work*you*shouldn't*strug gle*much*
    good*luck*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuks)
    As*long*as*you*put*in*regu lar*work*you*shouldn't*strug gle*much*
    good*luck*
    Thank you!
    This sounds lame but this summer I'll be doing bits from my IB subjects and try to get through some of it, Thailand and Monaco can get boring! : )

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    This sounds lame but this summer I'll be doing bits from my IB subjects and try to get through some of it, Thailand and Monaco can get boring! : )
    Really?*:p:*You*have*two*really*tough  years*ahead*of*you...well*a t*least*you're*staring*on*t he*right*track*
    I've*not*been*to*Monaco*but *Thailand*is*alot*of*fun**especially*Bangkok*and*Phuk et*:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuks)
    Really?*:p:*You*have*two*really*tough  years*ahead*of*you...well*a t*least*you're*staring*on*t he*right*track*
    I've*not*been*to*Monaco*but *Thailand*is*alot*of*fun**especially*Bangkok*and*Phuk et*:yep:
    Yeah, I'm aware! I think I'm starting to develop a good routine of work now, which will be enforced further as my new school requires two hours prep each night!
    I'm sooo excited to go to Thailand! I want to go there on my gap year too : ) I've been to Monaco several times, I like it, maybe a tad too glitzy and in-your-face for my liking though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm aware! I think I'm starting to develop a good routine of work now, which will be enforced further as my new school requires two hours prep each night!
    I'm sooo excited to go to Thailand! I want to go there on my gap year too : ) I've been to Monaco several times, I like it, maybe a tad too glitzy and in-your-face for my liking though.
    Your*school*makes*sure*you* prep*in*the*night?**or*is*it*boarding?
    My*IB*Finals*get*over*in*3 *days*after*which*I'm*going *to*NYC*:cool:
    And*then*i*start*my*interns hip*after*a*month*
    :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuks)
    Your*school*makes*sure*you* prep*in*the*night?**or*is*it*boarding?
    My*IB*Finals*get*over*in*3 *days*after*which*I'm*going *to*NYC*:cool:
    And*then*i*start*my*interns hip*after*a*month*
    :sadnod:
    Yeah the school I'm going to is boarding - I'm currently at a day school.
    Ah you'll love it, I know the place pretty well, if you want any help on where to go let me know : )
    ooo internship where!?

ReputationRep:

So I'll be doing:
    HL Economics
    HL Maths
    HL History
    SL Chemistry
    SL Spanish
    SL English

A few questions . . .

Thank you.
    1) Higher Maths is difficult yes. It's not just a matter of hard work, because even considering if you spent all your time studying Maths, you still have five other subjects, and Extended Essay, Tok, and CAS, English Coursework, History Coursework, Group 4 project etc. to do, that all require your attention. Moreover, Maths is assessed in a way that is far harder than A levels. Everything is sat together in three papers, two on core, one on option, not in nice neat little modules that you can resit. The questions are somewhat cryptic, and it is not often clear what you are required to do. There is less of a predictable exam pattern, and questions are often intended to trick you. To summarise, I agree with everyone who says that if you don't need it, for the love of God don't do it. If you do need it, do A levels.

The amount of homework in SL English is dependent on school. I know where I was we had an essay every week or so, and the Standards did all the same material as the Highers until year two, as people often don't make up their minds about HLs and SLs until then. This tends to occur quite often.

The leap from GCSE Chemistry to SL depends on what GCSE you
    did. If you did Dual Award, then its fairly big. If you did single science Chemistry,then its not so bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    Biology HL > Art HL

But i only say this because getting a 6-7 in Art is much, much, much more difficult than Biology
    huh, i disagree. I find a 7 in art much more attainable than in bio. but that's me i guess, i like art, sleepless nights and all.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the school I'm going to is boarding - I'm currently at a day school.
    Ah you'll love it, I know the place pretty well, if you want any help on where to go let me know : )
    ooo internship where!?
    I've*been*there*before*so*I *know*my*way*around**but*i'll*PM*you*to*see*i f*I'm*missing*anything*worth *seeing*:p:
    I'm*interning*at*this*firm* called*Cap*Gemini*most*proba bly*but*if*that*doesn't*wor k*out...i'm*doing*it*with*a n*Indian*NGO*

ReputationRep:
    Its my last week for accepting the HKU LLB offer..

I just realized it takes a MINIMUM OF 40/42 for IB PG to be accepted back to HKU LLB.

I'm getting a 36 for PG.

Need some support right now, so lost and confused...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.