Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuks)
    I've*been*there*before*so*I *know*my*way*around**but*i'll*PM*you*to*see*i f*I'm*missing*anything*worth *seeing*:p:
    I'm*interning*at*this*firm* called*Cap*Gemini*most*proba bly*but*if*that*doesn't*wor k*out...i'm*doing*it*with*a n*Indian*NGO*
    Ah okay, and yes do, I'm happy to help : )
    Oh I see, wait . . . you live in India!? I only just realised! I've been to Calcutta before but I reeeeally want to go to Jaipur - elephant polo!
    I'm now off to do a 6 hour revision marathon, eeek.

ReputationRep:
    It is perfectly normal to be stressed and worn out in IB it keeps you on your toes throughout the two years unlike a level. Also unlike A level your exams are at the end of two years which adds to the pressure and stress in comparison to A levels who take them in January and May/June. IB is the much tougher route and what do we get out of it? - Skills that make us stand out from the others at university.
    That is not to say however Universities will prefer an IBer to A level candidate, which is sadly the truth since everyone admits that we have a much harder time than A level people.
    Call them up anonymously and tell them your situation and see what they say?
    You said that they were willing to accept you on the basis of your GCSEs, well surely then its irrelevant if you switch now to some other course??
    To achieve 40/42 is very challenging although many do make it on TSR but if you're seriously struggling in first year, then you're going to find it even harder in second.
    Although just looking at your grades, three 7s is superb. Get a maths tutor, that I would highly recommend and just go through past paper after past paper with them and soon you'll notice all the errors you're making. I don't think doing the past papers on your own is as useful as your tutor will show you quick ways of getting those points in an exam. It doesn't have to be an IB maths tutor either because maths is maths!!
    All I can suggest for English is to explain to your teacher that you really need a 6/7 and ask for extra help just to give you more confidence.

If the IB risks your place at university I wouldn't recommend carrying it through since from my experience it can be hit and miss in the exams!! But at A level, it is still like GCSE they guide you through the questions and ask you to find a definitive answer.

Myyy sorry for the rant!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leehoma)
    It's not about IB vs A-Level; not about your present boyfriend vs you next boyfriend/future husband. It's about a year in HKU law school or a year in a IB school. A no brainer; HKU law school of course. You will find 100x more new friends, 100x more diverse and colourful cultural life, and 100x new things to get you excited. And, you are guaranteed a place in a one-year-exchange programme (the law school has entered into exchange agreements with 150 leading universities worldwide). Trust me, I know both HKU and some famous IB schools in HK.
    I second this. Take a step back and genuinely think about what you want for your future and whether what you're doing right now is going to give that to you. Is giving up your environment worth going to HKU? Conversely, is declining and sticking through the IB with uncertainty worth giving up HKU? It's going to be a hard decision, but it's one you'll have to make for yourself. Everyone here is pretty much slightly biased towards the IB - so am I - but I think if you're really struggling, go with the alternative.

ReputationRep:
    The subjects I am probably going to take are geography, biology and English at higher level, and German, maths and either theatre studies or philosophy at standard level. I'm hoping to study geography at Cambridge in the future (although I'm not sure if that's that likely or if that's just a dream ).

I'm just not sure whether to take theatre or philosophy - the course for theatre sounds really exciting and interesting, plus there is no exam at the end, however, my careers advisor said that theatre studies is considered to be a 'lesser subject'? I've also considered philosophy, but I'm not really sure what the course is like and whether it will be the same as TOK...

thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, right now I'm deciding betweeen those choices:

either SL - English A1, Spanish ab initio, Maths
    HL - Biology, Chemistry, Business and management

or SL - English A1, Spanish ab initio, Economics
    HL - Biology, Chemistry, Maths

I'm going to study Biochemistry in uni and in IB I'm aiming for at least 39-40, I'm worried that choosing maths HL might not give me 7 while business seems to be much easier option and will be valuable knowledge in my life. However which subject choices will help me to get in top Biochem Uni's? I wanted to choose Business SL but my school only does it in HL. Dont want to do economics really... maybe Physics?? Please give me an advice! TY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RussianStudent)
    Hello everyone, right now I'm deciding betweeen those choices:

either SL - English A1, Spanish ab initio, Maths
    HL - Biology, Chemistry, Business and management

or SL - English A1, Spanish ab initio, Economics
    HL - Biology, Chemistry, Maths

I'm going to study Biochemistry in uni and in IB I'm aiming for at least 39-40, I'm worried that choosing maths HL might not give me 7 while business seems to be much easier option and will be valuable knowledge in my life. However which subject choices will help me to get in top Biochem Uni's? I wanted to choose Business SL but my school only does it in HL. Dont want to do economics really... maybe Physics?? Please give me an advice! TY
    Well really, with Biology and Chemistry HL, you will be fine not taking Math at HL. I think you should do Business and Management if you believe you can get a higher point score than if you were to do Math HL. Your choices are up to you, with Biology and Chemistry, it will be enough to apply to the best universities to study biochemistry. On the Oxford website, it is expected that candidates have Chemistry to A2 level, whilst for Biology and Math it is recommended that you take those subjects to at least AS level. In terms of the Math SL course, it is between AS and A2 level, so you will be fine. I recommend you do the subjects that you really want to do and score high in them. Good luck OP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asiansentinel)
    Well really, with Biology and Chemistry HL, you will be fine not taking Math at HL. I think you should do Business and Management if you believe you can get a higher point score than if you were to do Math HL. Your choices are up to you, with Biology and Chemistry, it will be enough to apply to the best universities to study biochemistry. On the Oxford website, it is expected that candidates have Chemistry to A2 level, whilst for Biology and Math it is recommended that you take those subjects to at least AS level. In terms of the Math SL course, it is between AS and A2 level, so you will be fine. I recommend you do the subjects that you really want to do and score high in them. Good luck OP!
    thx a lot for the advice, I'm good in maths but I dont enjoy doing it... business will be gr8 =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nowrin)
    Ah okay, and yes do, I'm happy to help : )
    Oh I see, wait . . . you live in India!? I only just realised! I've been to Calcutta before but I reeeeally want to go to Jaipur - elephant polo!
    I'm now off to do a 6 hour revision marathon, eeek.
    I*do*live*in*Bombay*but*I' ve*never*really*seen*the*re st*of*India*except*Goa*:p:*But*bombay*is*probably*the *best*city*anyway*
    Oh*you're*going*to*thailand  during*the*political*unrest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuks)
    I*do*live*in*Bombay*but*I' ve*never*really*seen*the*re st*of*India*except*Goa*:p:*But*bombay*is*probably*the *best*city*anyway*
    Oh*you're*going*to*thailand  during*the*political*unrest?
    Ahh I see, I have a friend who went to India on their gap year and I have seen pictures of Goa. Looks smashing!
    I'm going in about 2 months, and my eldest brother has already warned not to with his usual "you're going to come back and say "Tan, you're right . . . again"". But my dad doesn't seem to care and that is all that matters!

ReputationRep:
    NO MORE PHYSICS!
    My teacher is gonna let me switch my group 4 cuz i never get any higher than 3 in physics. Im either gonna switch either to Bio or Envio. My question is which one is easier. I know all IB subjects are challenging, but which one is less so. I'm not so great with numbers and formula, im not sure if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anansi)
    NO MORE PHYSICS!
    My teacher is gonna let me switch my group 4 cuz i never get any higher than 3 in physics. Im either gonna switch either to Bio or Envio. My question is which one is easier. I know all IB subjects are challenging, but which one is less so. I'm not so great with numbers and formula, im not sure if that helps.
    I think Enviro is easier...I guess it depends on if you're gonna do HL or SL though, because bio HL is a looot of info but SL isn't as hard/much. (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink giggle)
    I think Enviro is easier...I guess it depends on if you're gonna do HL or SL though, because bio HL is a looot of info but SL isn't as hard/much. (:
    I'm actually leaning to Enviro cuz the bio teacher in my school is kinda a douche, but either way it would be SL.
    thanks btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anansi)
    I'm actually leaning to Enviro cuz the bio teacher in my school is kinda a douche, but either way it would be SL.
    thanks btw
    Well yeah, if your bio teacher is bad definitely don't go for bio

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I am a Junior in High School getting ready to wrap up this year. As such, we have all had to make our schedules for next year at my school and I'm actually looking forward to my senior year. I'm signed up to take IB Physics SL next year. I did well enough in Chemistry that I got permission from the science department chair to take it and skip the regular level physics offered at my school. Of course, I was pretty happy when I found out, but I am worried about one thing. I'm extremely bad at Math. My average in Math is around 82, and I fear that I will not do well this quarter.

I am worried that I will not do well because of my somewhat "poor" performance in my math. Is it a good idea to soldier on into IB Physics despite excellent performance in Chemistry and somewhat poor performance in Math? It just never came easy to me, almost to the point where I think I have dyscalculia...but that's a different story. I do like the sciences...a lot, but I don't think I have the necessary "aptitude" to grasp all of the different concepts and problems in an IB Physics curricula.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about IB Physics...but A Level Physics hardly has any 'advanced' Maths. Just simple re-arranging of equations.

Of course an IB student would be in a better position to answer this.

ReputationRep:
    Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Ossums)
    Maths.
    You do realise that people in some countries call it "Math", right?

ReputationRep:
    I should probably mention that I'm from the U.S., so I guess that's why some people may have a problem with my title. x]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delightedly)
    You do realise that people in some countries call it "Math", right?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xelb)
    Hi there. I am a Junior in High School getting ready to wrap up this year. As such, we have all had to make our schedules for next year at my school and I'm actually looking forward to my senior year. I'm signed up to take IB Physics SL next year. I did well enough in Chemistry that I got permission from the science department chair to take it and skip the regular level physics offered at my school. Of course, I was pretty happy when I found out, but I am worried about one thing. I'm extremely bad at Math. My average in Math is around 82, and I fear that I will not do well this quarter.

I am worried that I will not do well because of my somewhat "poor" performance in my math. Is it a good idea to soldier on into IB Physics despite excellent performance in Chemistry and somewhat poor performance in Math? It just never came easy to me, almost to the point where I think I have dyscalculia...but that's a different story. I do like the sciences...a lot, but I don't think I have the necessary "aptitude" to grasp all of the different concepts and problems in an IB Physics curricula.
    An 82 % in Methods SL is actually a 7 (out of 7). That's not bad at all. I wouldn't recommend Physics SL unless you understand physics very well (or if you are a masochist). I didn't and I hated the course, despite pretty good maths skills. Have you thought of taking Biology?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.