ReputationRep:
    I'm just finishing IB1 doing

English A1 HL
    History HL
    Chemistry HL
    Math SL
    French B SL
    German A1 SL

I'm pretty much bilingual German/English but haven't really been in many German classes until this year. I was originally going to take German A2 but my teacher said she was unfamiliar with it so I'd probably get a better grade in A1 anyways or otherwise I could just do B HL.

However after the first year I just realized I don't really like reading in German which is basically all the A1 course is, also I'm pretty sure I'd get a 5 in the exam which is really less than what I want. So do you think it would be better just registering for the A2 exam next year 'cause I think B HL would just be taking the easy option out and with A2 I could still get a bilingual diploma.. ?

So question is, German A1 or A2 really ?

ReputationRep:
    Well first you needa ask yourself can you speak german fluently, because to handle A1/A2 you needa be nearly fluent in speaking and writing and there's a huge difference in approach and quantity of IAs in both courses, whereas in B you just needa take 2 orals and not written assignments. So you should consider with your teacher which option suits best for you because I guess you should have done or started doing some IAs so no point starting all over again. Well getting a 5 in a foreign A1 language is already a great achievement I guess, in terms of competitveness with those who are fluent.

So i guess you should think will doing A2 makes your workload increase and time to adapt the difference in approaches to the course.

For me I guess you should stick with A1 because in A2 you do lots of reading too.!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nsb92)
    I'm just finishing IB1 doing

English A1 HL
    History HL
    Chemistry HL
    Math SL
    French B SL
    German A1 SL

I'm pretty much bilingual German/English but haven't really been in many German classes until this year. I was originally going to take German A2 but my teacher said she was unfamiliar with it so I'd probably get a better grade in A1 anyways or otherwise I could just do B HL.

However after the first year I just realized I don't really like reading in German which is basically all the A1 course is, also I'm pretty sure I'd get a 5 in the exam which is really less than what I want. So do you think it would be better just registering for the A2 exam next year 'cause I think B HL would just be taking the easy option out and with A2 I could still get a bilingual diploma.. ?

So question is, German A1 or A2 really ?
    It's really up to you, I'm not sure how many books you read in A2 compared to A1. You've got summer to do a lot of reading - if you're willing to. But if you really don't want to I guess go down to A2.
    I'd say go down to A2 so that you can get a higher grade (:
    You're doing three languages so would that make you eligible for the bilingual diploma? or does it have to be two A1s or one A1 + one A2...
    I'm taking two A1's and I really don't mind the reading so I'm sticking with it.

ReputationRep:
    so i'm wondering if my subject choices are a waste of time:

Philosophy HL
    Physics HL
    Chinese HL

Math SL
    English SL
    Art SL

mostly because i've got physics higher and math standard, and it seems if i want to go down that route most unis want maths higher, so am i wasting my time with physics? and secondly because i really wouldn't mind switching to D&T higher, as i'm doing it now in GCSEs and am passing with flying colours.
    secondly, are the higher and standard arrangements tough? with all the subjects i've taken as standard, the teachers have also told me that i'm capable of doing higher, so i'm down for the most useful/easy combination.

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends to what career path you will take. I mean if you wanna do Engineering sorta degree in uni, you MUST do physics and maths HL, but if you like physics and you take it at HL thats fine. Well its not a waste of time such that you know what you wanna do in uni.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I am about to start IB, I was just wondering do you think there is any benefit in doing 4 higher levels instead of the usual 3. Do you think your application would be considered higher when you apply for unis if you do 4 hls rather than 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zirek)
    Hey guys, I am about to start IB, I was just wondering do you think there is any benefit in doing 4 higher levels instead of the usual 3. Do you think your application would be considered higher when you apply for unis if you do 4 hls rather than 3?
    The advantage is that you study an extra subject in depth (which can be interesting) and you have the freedom to cut back your workload without losing the diploma. I don't think universities would pay that much attention to it, to be honest.

Depending on the subjects, it can be a lot of work; especially when suddenly in the second year you realise you have next to no free periods ever. I survived, though. *touch wood*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zirek)
    Unis dont care in the slightest bit!!! Their normal requirements usually specify the grade of your 3 HL subjects, ie. it is a waste of time and effort to do a 4th HL subject which wont be considered as an advantage over others, in fact, if you get a lower grade becoz doing a 4th HL, that matters!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks jc_bach and dbmag9!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I'm kind of finishing to sort out my IB program, so here is how far I got:

Italian A1 HL
    English A1 HL
    Biology (HL Course BUT with SL Exam, Italian Legislation... go figure!)
    EITHER History HL OR French B HL

Math (SL Course BUT with Studies Exam, once again Italian Legislation)
    Biology (See above)
    Either History or French

So, looking beyond my really messy "cheating the law" system, would you recommended I take History or French HL? I've been studying French for the past five years at B level and achieved a DELF B1 diploma this year, but I also really like History!

Suggestions? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    lol you shouldnt have taken both A1s at HL lol it would make you go to the extreme!!! believe me=]
    as of history / french hl, well it depends what do you like/what are your career/prospective uni paths, I would say go for french hl if you are not seeking history degrees in uni.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think I'm doing:
    History HL
    French HL (B I think - I'm not bilingual!)
    German HL (B?)

Maths SL
    Chem SL
    English SL

I'm just worrying about how hard HL languages and history are! I'm obviously predicted A*s in my GCSEs for all of those subjects, and over 95% in French. I was also worrying about SL Maths and Chem! I did my Maths GCSE a year early and JUST got an A*, and I've achieved 100 in all my chemistry modules so far...I also learnt an extended maths course in this year, but opted our of the FSMQ exam because I suck so badly at it :P
    So...yeah, I intend to carry on languages and possibly history, so does anyone have advice/info on taking HL Languages and History?
    Thanks
    x

ReputationRep:
    Hi every1! I was wondering whether you could help my friend please She takes HL Arts, Psychology and English B and now she's worried that those are not strong subjects and universities may be won't like it..

Do you think it's ok or she should take Biology HL instead of Psychology?

THANK YOU!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie-Bananie)
    Hi every1! I was wondering whether you could help my friend please She takes HL Arts, Psychology and English B and now she's worried that those are not strong subjects and universities may be won't like it..

Do you think it's ok or she should take Biology HL instead of Psychology?

THANK YOU!
    Well, it really depends on what subject your friend wants to study at university level. Personally, I'm taking both Bio and Psych HL because I want to study Psychology at University... Biology as a HL is a lot harder than Psych, btw. It is usually good to have a science as a HL though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink giggle)
    Well, it really depends on what subject your friend wants to study at university level. Personally, I'm taking both Bio and Psych HL because I want to study Psychology at University... Biology as a HL is a lot harder than Psych, btw. It is usually good to have a science as a HL though.
    She hasn't decided yet, but we heard that many unis don't like those "easy subjects" , so may be you know if it's really so?
    Thank you for your answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie-Bananie)
    She hasn't decided yet, but we heard that many unis don't like those "easy subjects" , so may be you know if it's really so?
    Thank you for your answer
    Top universities such as Cambridge would be likely to care, but I don't think most other Universities would mind...
    But really, if she doesn't know what she wants to study it might be better to stick with Bio HL since for some courses a science as a HL might be required.

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a Lawyer, and I want to do

English HL
    French
    History HL
    Biology HL
    Psychology
    Mathematic Studies

ReputationRep:
    The English and History at HL is good.Psychology would help..Not so sure about the Math Studies though.
    Can you manage a Math SL , because it would help.

ReputationRep:
    If I wanted to major in Economics in University will if matter if I don't take HL Maths? I'm scared HL Economics alone will not do the trick :/

ReputationRep:
    Asked this in the a-level forum too, but I'm not sure which I'll do yet, so...
    What IB subjects should I take to become a primary school teacher? I am thinking of...
    English A1 HL (Predicted A in lang. and lit. at GCSE)
    French B SL (Predicted B) OR Spanish ab initio (not studied)
    Geography HL (Predicted A) OR Psychology SL OR HL (not studied, predicted B in R.S.)
    Environmental Systems and Societies SL OR Biology HL OR SL (Predicted A/A* (2 GCSE's))
    Mathematics HL (Predicted A* + A* Statistics)
    Theatre Studies HL (Predicted Drama B) OR 2nd Group 3/4 option

With the French option, although I am predicted B, it is the GCSE subject I am least comfortable with and I could easily get a C. Would scraping a B be sufficient for SL, or am I better off starting from scratch with Spanish now I have an idea about learning languages?

With Psychology, it sounds like it could be useful to have when working with young children, and it sounds like I would enjoy it, but is it fine to study without previous knowledge, the closest I've got being a predicted B in religious studies. If so, is HL also fine, or should I stick to SL? Bear in mind, that if I did this at SL, it would probably have to replace theatre as my 3rd SL, meaning that I would take up Geography HL, or alternatively Biology being put up to HL and keeping theatre. If it's advisable, I would also be fine with ignoring psychology and just taking geography.

For my sciences, I am good at them, but don't have much interest in anything bar the ethics (most closely related to Biology) and would struggle to motivate myself at HL. Therefore, I was thinking of either Biology or Environmental Systems & Societies. Is the latter any good? Is it a good crossover of the three sciences? I guess HL Biology could also be an option.

Finally, which is my best group six pick? Theatre (I think I could get an A in drama, my teacher has given everyone harsh predictions), or another G3 or G4 option? If so, which one?

Sorry for the loooong post!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.