Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glimmerofhope)
    If I wanted to major in Economics in University will if matter if I don't take HL Maths? I'm scared HL Economics alone will not do the trick :/
    AFAIK all the top Unis require a 7 in HL Math...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmac94)
    Asked this in the a-level forum too, but I'm not sure which I'll do yet, so...
    What IB subjects should I take to become a primary school teacher? I am thinking of...
    English A1 HL (Predicted A in lang. and lit. at GCSE)
    French B SL (Predicted B) OR Spanish ab initio (not studied)
    Geography HL (Predicted A) OR Psychology SL OR HL (not studied, predicted B in R.S.)
    Environmental Systems and Societies SL OR Biology HL OR SL (Predicted A/A* (2 GCSE's))
    Mathematics HL (Predicted A* + A* Statistics)
    Theatre Studies HL (Predicted Drama B) OR 2nd Group 3/4 option

With the French option, although I am predicted B, it is the GCSE subject I am least comfortable with and I could easily get a C. Would scraping a B be sufficient for SL, or am I better off starting from scratch with Spanish now I have an idea about learning languages?

With Psychology, it sounds like it could be useful to have when working with young children, and it sounds like I would enjoy it, but is it fine to study without previous knowledge, the closest I've got being a predicted B in religious studies. If so, is HL also fine, or should I stick to SL? Bear in mind, that if I did this at SL, it would probably have to replace theatre as my 3rd SL, meaning that I would take up Geography HL, or alternatively Biology being put up to HL and keeping theatre. If it's advisable, I would also be fine with ignoring psychology and just taking geography.

For my sciences, I am good at them, but don't have much interest in anything bar the ethics (most closely related to Biology) and would struggle to motivate myself at HL. Therefore, I was thinking of either Biology or Environmental Systems & Societies. Is the latter any good? Is it a good crossover of the three sciences? I guess HL Biology could also be an option.

Finally, which is my best group six pick? Theatre (I think I could get an A in drama, my teacher has given everyone harsh predictions), or another G3 or G4 option? If so, which one?

Sorry for the loooong post!
    According to a lot of the teachers at my school there's a huge gap between lang. ab initio and B. Personally, I wouldn't do B unless you feel comfortable with French... but at the same time bear in mind that it is a lot of work to start with a new language. For how many years have you studied French? Honestly, I'd say talk to your French teacher...just ask if they think you could do well in French B.

Psychology should be great for you, you will get to study sociocultural and cognitive psychology which will be useful for you as a teacher.
    And no, you definitely don't need any previous knowledge. None of the people in my class had studied psych before... I'd say go for HL, one of the differences is for your IA you'll have a greater word limit (:rolleyes: ) but you also get to change the experiment slightly whilst for SL you'd have to replicate the experiment exactly the same as the original. As a HL you also learn about qualitative research which IMO benefits you.

For the sciences I dunno... I do bio HL and it's so much information, especially compared to SL. I think Enviro is hard too, but personally I'd say bio HL is a lot harder. It's really up to you, just look at the courses and what you'd be studying in the two subject and see which one you prefer.

For your group 6 subject... theater isn't offered at my school so i literally know nothing about it. since you're doing well in geo right now, you could go for that as long as it's something of interest of course.
    i really dont know what you need to become a primary teacher and i'm guessing they're pretty flexible about the courses you've taken (maybe?) so just pick the subject you like the most and could do best in.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I really need some help. (Don't we all?)

My original choice was:

HL:
    Mathematics
    History
    Chemistry

SL:
    Norwegian A1
    English A2
    Physics

Now, I've started to feel like I need some Economics (I'm suddenly considering LSE).
    My school only offers SL Economics
    So, to do Economics, I can't have a SL science subject. (Doing languages as HL is not an option to me.)
    So, my question is basically:
    Should I choose Physics HL or Chemistry HL?

I like Chemistry better, and would find it easier obtain a good grade in Chemistry. However, I've not decided what to study yet, and I keep thinking that if I'm going to do engineer studies, it's probably smarter to do Physics HL. Also, as I am doing Mathematics HL, Physics HL might not be that difficult after all, although it would contain a lot of work.

So, again;
    Chemistry or Physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBNorwegian)
    Hey, I really need some help. (Don't we all?)

My original choice was:

HL:
    Mathematics
    History
    Chemistry

SL:
    Norwegian A1
    English A2
    Physics

Now, I've started to feel like I need some Economics (I'm suddenly considering LSE).
    My school only offers SL Economics
    So, to do Economics, I can't have a SL science subject. (Doing languages as HL is not an option to me.)
    So, my question is basically:
    Should I choose Physics HL or Chemistry HL?

I like Chemistry better, and would find it easier obtain a good grade in Chemistry. However, I've not decided what to study yet, and I keep thinking that if I'm going to do engineer studies, it's probably smarter to do Physics HL. Also, as I am doing Mathematics HL, Physics HL might not be that difficult after all, although it would contain a lot of work.

So, again;
    Chemistry or Physics?
    Neither.

LSE will not require or expect you to have studied Economics. I have a friend who got into the Economics course at LSE, and he did not study Economics at all; although he did get a 7 in HL Math. I would suggest you pick a subject with you enjoy and can score well in.

Good luck OP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asiansentinel)
    Neither.

LSE will not require or expect you to have studied Economics. I have a friend who got into the Economics course at LSE, and he did not study Economics at all; although he did get a 7 in HL Math. I would suggest you pick a subject with you enjoy and can score well in.

Good luck OP!
    Well, I don't want to study economics JUST to get into LSE, but because It seems quite interesting, and it's one of the subjects that really could be good to know some of later in life. I don't know how hard it is to get a 6 or 7 in Economics SL, but I've heard that Physics SL is quite easy, but I feel like my choices is a bit too "scientific" to prepare me for the LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, doesn't seem like anyone wants to help me out here
    Could someone at least tell me how Economics SL is, and what's the most demanding subject, Chemistry HL compared to Physics HL?
    I think I like Chemistry better, but I've always been good in the science subjects, so neither of them seem totally uninteresting to me..

ReputationRep:
    Ok, doesn't seem like anyone wants to help me out here
    Could someone at least tell me how Economics SL is, and what's the most demanding subject, Chemistry HL compared to Physics HL?
    I think I like Chemistry better, but I've always been good in the science subjects, so neither of them seem totally uninteresting to me..
    awww, i'm sorry, i can't really help you... :o:
    ummm... but i don't think economics SL is too hard but i don't take it :p: If i remember correctly there's quite a few graphs to remember for each theory or whatnot, but i think that's mainly for HL. ughh i really don't know, but according to my friend who takes it it's not too hard to get a 6 but the gap between a 6 and a 7 is pretty big apparently. that's just from her perspective though
    I would think Physics is harder as a HL, my brother took it and hated it so honestly, if you feel that you like chem better go for chem.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, probably smart.. At this point I feel like engineering is the last thing I wanna do anyways. If I'm going for some scientific studies, chemistry is probably closer to what I want to do
    And on the economics SL, does anyone know what kind of economics is focused on in the syllabus? Just general principles and theories?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, probably smart.. At this point I feel like engineering is the last thing I wanna do anyways. If I'm going for some scientific studies, chemistry is probably closer to what I want to do
    And on the economics SL, does anyone know what kind of economics is focused on in the syllabus? Just general principles and theories?
    Yeah, go for chemistry then.

I have no clue, but you can see the syllabus here. It includes the syllabus outline as well as details, hopefully it'll help you

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, you've been very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I just started IB and need a bit of help...

I took:

HL
    English A1
    Russian B
    History

SL
    Math
    Business & Management
    Biology

I'm sort of shooting for Oxford English. They ask for at least 38 points, all of your core points, and 6s and 7s in your HLs. I'm pretty confident about my English and History, but I was wondering whether anyone knows what Russian B HL is like? I lived in Russia for 5 years and knew it fluently, but I forgot most of it when I moved away. I'm Serbian (and understand quite a few Slavic languages) and have been re-learning Russian for 2 years now...

ReputationRep:
    My school has asked IB permission to take all 3 Sciences but to drop a subject from the Humanities group (Eco,Business etc)

So I have decided to take the following subjects

English Literature
    French
    Math
    Biology
    Physics
    Chemistry

Now from these 3, I really like Biology so I am certain that I want to take Biology HL

I have also decided to take French and English SL (even though I am pretty good in English). The reason for me taking English SL is because I either want to do engineering or medical and in those streams I don't think English is very important..

Now that leaves 3 Subjects..

Physics
    Math
    Chemistry

Now in my IGCSE I am getting an A in all 3. However, I've heard that Math HL is very hard due to which in many instances the whole grade has dipped (heard that it's very hard to get even 5). On the contrary, Physics and Chemistry are also pretty hard..

So you guys give me an overview of these 3 subjects in IB and rate them in difficulty out of 10? I have 2 decide to take 2 out of these 3 as HL and 1 out of the three as Sl.. Please help..

ReputationRep:
    I have only half an idea (journalism is a possibility) of what I'd like to study at university and right now I am doing the following subjects.

HL:
    Maths
    English
    ITGS

SL:
    Physics
    French
    Business and Management

The thing is, I have no idea what these subjects would enable me to study at uni and right now, I am considering taking Physics up to HL and doing English at SL but before doing anything, I wanted to know what opportunities, career-wise, would be open to me, if I stick with this current subject combination and what difference it would make, if I went with Physics at HL and English at SL.

Ideally, I'd do ITGS at SL and Physics at HL but ITGS is offered at my school at HL only and if I drop it for Physics HL, I'd have to do any of Geography, History, Art, Chemistry, ECS or Biology at SL, all of which are subjects that I am not keen on doing. :\

I'd really appreciate it if you people could be of help to me, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Bumpity bump? (sorry but I have only a week to make this decision and ideally, having a couple of days to think things through would be most welcome )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou?)
    I have only half an idea (journalism is a possibility) of what I'd like to study at university and right now I am doing the following subjects.

HL:
    Maths
    English
    ITGS

SL:
    Physics
    French
    Business and Management

The thing is, I have no idea what these subjects would enable me to study at uni and right now, I am considering taking Physics up to HL and doing English at SL but before doing anything, I wanted to know what opportunities, career-wise, would be open to me, if I stick with this current subject combination and what difference it would make, if I went with Physics at HL and English at SL.

Ideally, I'd do ITGS at SL and Physics at HL but ITGS is offered at my school at HL only and if I drop it for Physics HL, I'd have to do any of Geography, History, Art, Chemistry, ECS or Biology at SL, all of which are subjects that I am not keen on doing. :\

I'd really appreciate it if you people could be of help to me, thank you.
    First of all you should really do English A1 HL if you want to keep Journalism as a possibility! It gives you a much better chance to get to Journalism in university! :woo:

Unless you want to do something like engineering, I think physics SL should be fine. ITGS sounds interesting and should open you to the IT careers field in the future (I don't take it and my school doesn't offer it so I don't really know), and Maths HL just pretty much covers other stuffs like Accountancy and Economics, which your B&M SL should help you pretty well if you ever want to enter Business/Economics in the future

Overall I think this is a pretty decent subject combination and since you are not keen on doing any other alter:woo: native subjects you listed down, these subjects would do just fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaad)
    My school has asked IB permission to take all 3 Sciences but to drop a subject from the Humanities group (Eco,Business etc)

English Literature
    French
    Math
    Biology
    Physics
    Chemistry

Now from these 3, I really like Biology so I am certain that I want to take Biology HL

I have also decided to take French and English SL (even though I am pretty good in English). The reason for me taking English SL is because I either want to do engineering or medical and in those streams I don't think English is very important..

Physics
    Math
    Chemistry

Now in my IGCSE I am getting an A in all 3. However, I've heard that Math HL is very hard due to which in many instances the whole grade has dipped (heard that it's very hard to get even 5). On the contrary, Physics and Chemistry are also pretty hard..

So you guys give me an overview of these 3 subjects in IB and rate them in difficulty out of 10? I have 2 decide to take 2 out of these 3 as HL and 1 out of the three as Sl.. Please help..
    Bump..

ReputationRep:
    Well firstly I would look at the university entry requirements to see whether your choices would affect your application next year.
    If the entry requirements are no issue then I would avoid HL Maths at all costs. While the other 2 do get stick for being difficult - HL Maths is another parallel of immense complexity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaad)

English Literature
    French
    Math
    Biology
    Physics
    Chemistry

Physics
    Math
    Chemistry

All of those 3 subjects are pretty tough. Pick the one you like the most, though I would think that HL Maths will give you the most options. If you want to be an engineer though, you HAVE to take Maths and Physics at HL, otherwise you're not going to fulfil the requirements of a lot of universities.

Now I haven't done Chem or Phys, but apparently the 3 subjects you mention are generally agreed to be the "hardest" at HL, but if you're good at them it won't be an issue.

Another note on maths HL though: I probably worked more for maths over the 2 years than all my other subjects put together, so be prepared to do A LOT of work, especially for the exam. Nonetheless, SL maths would still be quite a bit of work too, so you can't avoid that anyway. Getting an A in IGCSE doesn't mean much though, HL maths is on a wholly different level (I did my IGCSE a year early with an A* and an early AS level in year 11 with A and I got 3s and 4s in my first tests).

I 100% encourage you to take it though, it's in my opinion by far the most rewarding course and very useful for a maths based degree such as engineering (I do economics).

ReputationRep:
    A completely agree with Welix, higher maths is a lot of work. Prepare to sacrifice and inordinate amount of time on it.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be taking the IB course next year and my subject choices so far are:

Psychology HL
    Business and Management HL*
    Design Technology HL*

English Literature SL
    Maths SL
    Chinese SL*

The ones with a star are the subjects i am not certain of.

1. Which is more useful and appealing for colleges, Business Studies HL or Economics HL? I have never took Economics in IGCSEs so if i do choose to do Economics HL, will i find it challenging/hard because i have not had any previous studies in that subject?

2. Should i study Design Technology HL or Biology HL/SL? I'm aware that Design Technology is not as recognized as the three major sciences, but i am not really a fan of science. However, i think that if i were to apply to a college (excluding art/design colleges), they will prefer a major science compared to DT.

3. I have been studying chinese since Y7, but i am also interested in Japanese Ab Initio. I was wondering whether i should choose something i have more experience and knowledge of or something i am interested in and have never learnt before.

Thanks in advance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.