Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by manz!)
    Is English your first language? In that case, I don't really see anything wrong with switching to SL...to be honest, the only difference is you read about 4 more books at HL. There isn't much of a difference in terms of assessing and the actual skills involved, except that you have to write on less World Lit assignment, and get a couple of "guiding questions" on your exam.

With that said, and if this sort of thing is of any importance to you, you might want to take into account that some universities may see Business Studies as a "weak" subject (I'm not sure whether I think that's fair).

How far along are you? Have you considered moving Math up to HL?
    Just wanted to touch on the Business bit. The top universities frown upon the A-Level Business Studies but its not the case with the IB Business and Management subject which has a much more demanding syllabus and challenging exam papers. Testimony to that, I applied for Economics with HLs of Economics, Mathematics and Business & Management - so far I have 4 offers and 1 yet to reply.

With regards to Medicine, it is only important that you have 2 HLs comprising of sciences/math. In light of this, I think Math SL should be enough. Math HL would an unnecessary course load that can really screw up one's IB grades unless they work really hard and actually like the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitronaldo)
    Just wanted to touch on the Business bit. The top universities frown upon the A-Level Business Studies but its not the case with the IB Business and Management subject which has a much more demanding syllabus and challenging exam papers. Testimony to that, I applied for Economics with HLs of Economics, Mathematics and Business & Management - so far I have 4 offers and 1 yet to reply.

With regards to Medicine, it is only important that you have 2 HLs comprising of sciences/math. In light of this, I think Math SL should be enough. Math HL would an unnecessary course load that can really screw up one's IB grades unless they work really hard and actually like the subject.
    I remember having a discussion about this with a volunteer at the Oxford Admissions Info office the summer before I started my IB, and he did seem to hint that BS, even at an IB level, is seen as being a little bit weak. He may have been wrong, and I do hope so (as I said, I personally don't see what's wrong with taking a Business class).

I do agree that HL Math can hurt. I just figured it might be worth considering. It's an amazing experience if you're willing to put in the time and effort.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by manz!)
    I remember having a discussion about this with a volunteer at the Oxford Admissions Info office the summer before I started my IB, and he did seem to hint that BS, even at an IB level, is seen as being a little bit weak. He may have been wrong, and I do hope so (as I said, I personally don't see what's wrong with taking a Business class).

I do agree that HL Math can hurt. I just figured it might be worth considering. It's an amazing experience if you're willing to put in the time and effort.

Haha funny you say that - I have a conditional offer for Economics and Management at Oxford though the IB Business Management course is sort of relevant to the management aspect of my degree.

With Oxford and Cambridge, it also varies from college to college so my college tutor was probably fine with someone taking Business.

Also totally agree about the HL Math bit - it is rather satisfying when you get the hang of it.

ReputationRep:
    ok guys so i need to make my selection tomorrow. what should i take?replies asap thanks.
    i have in mind this 3 combis to take
    eng econs chem HL , chinese B bio sl maths sl
    eng bio chem HL, chinese B econs sl maths sl
    bio chem econs HL, chinese B econs sl eng sl

which one is ideal for the widest range of careers?
    does eng sl and eng hl have same opportunities for law? or does eng hl have an upper hand?
    also, is eng hl needed for careers like journalism, law etc.?
    is eng hl a good subject and is it considered good when applying to universities?
    does econs actually provides any career opportunites and is it useful in universities?
    i know med require bio and chem but is maths Hl neccessary?
    sorry for all the questions but its important.
    how would you guys rank them?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by musicinspector)
    ok guys so i need to make my selection tomorrow. what should i take?replies asap thanks.
    i have in mind this 3 combis to take
    eng econs chem HL , chinese B bio sl maths sl
    eng bio chem HL, chinese B econs sl maths sl
    bio chem econs HL, chinese B econs sl eng sl

which one is ideal for the widest range of careers?
    does eng sl and eng hl have same opportunities for law? or does eng hl have an upper hand?
    also, is eng hl needed for careers like journalism, law etc.?
    is eng hl a good subject and is it considered good when applying to universities?
    does econs actually provides any career opportunites and is it useful in universities?
    i know med require bio and chem but is maths Hl neccessary?
    sorry for all the questions but its important.
    how would you guys rank them?

Given your dilemma, I would say go with combination 2.

For Law although universities do not specify any subjects, HL English is a good subject to have as it shows your critical reading and analyzing abilities.

For medicine, just Chem and Bio HL will be sufficient, you basically need chem and another science or chem and math.

Economics HL isn't a break or make decision considering you are only interested in Law/Medicine. If you are serious about Economics as a subject then you will definitely need HL Math as well for top universities.

ReputationRep:
    oh thanks. i just wanna ask if the workload for the above combination is a lot or manageable?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    For law they don't really make much of a fuss about specific subjects.

I got into LSE for Law and I had English, History and Economics HL and Maths, Environment SL and French Ab Initio.

Frankly most Unis care for your HLs and overall IB scores. English HL is good for law because it shows your ability to grasp the language entirely that you will be studying the law in (presumably). History shows your ability to memorise and correctly utilise and analyse various historical facts for essays which is essentially what Law is about. When I did an advisor session at Oxford two summers ago, the advisor hinted that English and History were the strongest suits I had for applying for Law. Your science subject is irrelevant as far as law is concerned. I did Environment and that too because I had to!

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, can someone help me?
    I really want to study medicine, and I've picked these subjects
    HL:
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Psychology

SL:
    English
    Maths
    Spanish ab initio/french(not ab initio)

Will these be ok? I really dont want to get to year 13, only to be told ive picked the wrong subjects!!

Also: would you reccomend starting a language from scratch (i.e. spanish) or should i continue with french? I'm not afraid of putting in hard work, I just want to pick the least time-consuming of the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolateheart)
    Hiya, can someone help me?
    I really want to study medicine, and I've picked these subjects
    HL:
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Psychology

SL:
    English
    Maths
    Spanish ab initio/french(not ab initio)

Will these be ok? I really dont want to get to year 13, only to be told ive picked the wrong subjects!!

Also: would you reccomend starting a language from scratch (i.e. spanish) or should i continue with french? I'm not afraid of putting in hard work, I just want to pick the least time-consuming of the two.
    They're fine! As long as you have biology and Chemistry at higher they don't really mind what the other subjects are. I've got offers for medicine doing Bio, Chem, Geog at HL and English, Maths and German B at SL. Some of my friends have offers with history being their other higher subject and italian ab intio... Ab initio according to some of my friends is pretty tough and I think you may be better carrying on with french, unless you absolutely hate it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexms123)
    They're fine! As long as you have biology and Chemistry at higher they don't really mind what the other subjects are. I've got offers for medicine doing Bio, Chem, Geog at HL and English, Maths and German B at SL. Some of my friends have offers with history being their other higher subject and italian ab intio... Ab initio according to some of my friends is pretty tough and I think you may be better carrying on with french, unless you absolutely hate it!!!
    Thanks! this has really put my mind at ease

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm lucky enough at my school to have the choice between IB and A-Levels, but I really can't decide which route to take!

It is further complicated by what I would like to study at university- A course such as Economics & History or PPE at Oxford, or History at Cambridge. The reason why this has thrown up so many problems is because of the Economics (and therefore maths requirement) of some of those courses.

For the IB I would do:
    Economics HL
    History HL
    English Literature HL
    Maths SL
    Physics SL
    Japanese Ab-initio

The A-Level route would be:
    Economics,
    Philosophy,
    History,
    English Literature,
    Politics. (Self-Taught)

If it helps, at GCSE i'm predicted 8A*s and 3As- But only an A in Maths!

So, some questions- Which route do you think I should take?
    Do you think Standard Level Maths will do?

Thank You!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, guys I have a question.
    I'm planning to take

HL
    Bio
    Chem
    Korean

SL
    Systems
    Eng
    Math

and I'm also aiming for UK medical school. Many people told me to take HL math and drop Korean to SL. but I'm not sure whether I can get 7 at math.

I'm wondering which choice university would prefer between getting good total in IB with SL Math, and getting lower marks than previous one, but with HL Math.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is it recommended to do 4 HLs?
    I have a choice between AS English, Biology, Chemistry and Psychology
    OR
    IB.

I want to do:
    HL -
    Psyc.
    Bio.
    Chem.
    Eng.

SL -
    Maths
    Spanish

Good idea or not?

ReputationRep:
    Could I manage 7 subjects? One regular diploma and the extra as a Certificate. I chose pretty easy(non science related) HLs, so I'm pretty confident.

English HL
    History HL
    Psych HL
    Mandarin SL
    Math SL
    ESS SL

+ Economics SL/HL
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by NeoConNick)
    So, some questions- Which route do you think I should take?
    Do you think Standard Level Maths will do?
    I think you should do IB, but I'm biased.

I don't know how much Maths SL will affect your Economics prospects. At some Unis (eg. Warwick), Maths SL for Economics is acceptable, while at others (eg. LSE) you not only need Maths HL, but you also need a 7 in Maths HL. So I would suggest do your research and know which Unis you'd want to apply to if you choose Economics and then make a decision if considering Economics is worth it if you can't handle Maths HL.

(Original post by Daniel Cha)
    I'm also aiming for UK medical school. Many people told me to take HL math and drop Korean to SL. but I'm not sure whether I can get 7 at math.

I'm wondering which choice university would prefer between getting good total in IB with SL Math, and getting lower marks than previous one, but with HL Math.
    I don't know much about Medicine, but a friend of mine got into Cambridge and she had Biology, Chemistry and English HL and Maths at SL. I think as long as you have Bio and Chem at HL and decent scores overall, Unis aren't that picky about your choice of subjects (unless you pick something outrageously easy like Studies).

(Original post by rosadreams)
    No. Its really not.

I want to do:
    HL -
    Psyc.
    Bio.
    Chem.
    Eng.

...Good idea or not?
    If you do this and emerge intact at the end of two years with sanity et al, you will be my new hero. No...That's too less of a praise, you will be my new superhero!

All three sciences AND English at HL?!?!? Are you some kind of genius?

If so, go right ahead. If not, then its not a good idea to take all three sciences.

ReputationRep:

Good idea or not?
    A girl in my year started off doing 4 HLs, she dropped back to 3 pretty quickly because she found the amount of work just too much. Now she's almost at the end (5 weeks left of teaching before exams!) and she's so happy she dropped back on one subject! I wouldn't recommend doing 4 HLs in the same way I wouldn't recommend anyone doing HL Maths unless they plan on doing degree level maths.

Hope this helps!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by alexms123)
    A girl in my year started off doing 4 HLs, she dropped back to 3 pretty quickly because she found the amount of work just too much. Now she's almost at the end (5 weeks left of teaching before exams!) and she's so happy she dropped back on one subject! I wouldn't recommend doing 4 HLs in the same way I wouldn't recommend anyone doing HL Maths unless they plan on doing degree level maths.

Hope this helps!
    Include degree-level engineering, physics, computer science, economics to that list. HL Math is actually not so bad but I think a foremost requirement is that you really like/enjoy the subject. Or it will definitely bore and kill the crap out of you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I'm going into my first year of the IB program, and I was wondering how common this combination of classes is and what you think of it. As far as university is concerned, I'm not 100% decided about my major, but I was thinking something along the lines of math, physics, engineering, etc. major. My classes are going to be:

Maths HL
    Physics HL
    Chemistry HL
    French B SL
    English A1 SL
    History SL

Thanks in advance, everyone, for the feedback.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys im planning to pursue medicine in the future. According to my school counsellor some unis prefer medicine applicants to have three sciences (namely physics, bio and chem) . Is it true? Isn't it impossible for the IB students to take up 3 sciences according to the subject groups? Any info would be appreciated

Im planning to take up :
    Chem HL
    Bio HL
    Math HL
    Econs SL
    English A1 SL
    French ab initio

Sounds good? =o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsman4Life)
    Hey all,

I'm going into my first year of the IB program, and I was wondering how common this combination of classes is and what you think of it. As far as university is concerned, I'm not 100% decided about my major, but I was thinking something along the lines of math, physics, engineering, etc. major. My classes are going to be:

Maths HL
    Physics HL
    Chemistry HL
    French B SL
    English A1 SL
    History SL

Thanks in advance, everyone, for the feedback.
    hehee i have a friend who's doing almost the exact same subjects, except he's taking economics instead of history. so, yeahh, i think your subject combination is fine. i'm quite sure math, physics and chem all at HL might be a bit of a pain but definitely not impossible.

good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.