Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigeon93)
    Umm, I beg to differ. I'm doing French B HL, and it's a total breeze compared to my other subjects. Literally all i've done for my two IB years is sit and do past papers in class... I find the course extremely boring, and it's a rather poor test of your command of the language, but scoring well isn't a problem if you just learn the right exam technique.

I'd recommend it for somebody wanting a good grade, although i believe the syllabus is changing significantly for the may 2013 session (they're taking away part of the oral component or something of the sort and introducing a timed, internally-examinated long essay)
    I guess it depends on the person. What previous experience did you have with French before IB?

(Original post by cookiemonster101)
    The answer is that the language B exams are getting MORE difficult next year - because the IB want to avoid grade inflation as so many bilingual people are taking their second language at B level (from what I've heard this is mainly in the USA with Hispanic students taken Spanish B as an easy option). They are making the B languages loads more difficult than they already are (which I think is veeeeeeery difficult).

Also, it's a fact that Psychology is just a lot more difficult than people think - if you check out the IB statistical Bulletin you'll see the SL Psychology has an average grade of 4.27, compared with History at 4.49, Economics at 5.04, etc. And it's known among students - people doing psychology often expect a low grade. Not saying you shouldn't do it, go for it, but make sure you don't see it as an easy option
    Do you know where to find what the changes are for May 2013 students? I've only found that they are removing A2 from Group 2 (link), and no changes in the curriculum as far as I know.

Don't worry, I know there's more to psychology than people think - I've taken a look at the textbook, and there is a lot of content. Fortunately, a lot of it interests me, so I think I'm alright.
    I'll keep in mind that many people don't get a high score, though.

ReputationRep:
    Which ever ones your heart says

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad astra.)
    I guess it depends on the person. What previous experience did you have with French before IB?

Do you know where to find what the changes are for May 2013 students? I've only found that they are removing A2 from Group 2 (link), and no changes in the curriculum as far as I know.

Don't worry, I know there's more to psychology than people think - I've taken a look at the textbook, and there is a lot of content. Fortunately, a lot of it interests me, so I think I'm alright.
    I'll keep in mind that many people don't get a high score, though.
    One of my teachers was designing the new B course and she was explaining that it is going to be of a standard between the current B and A2 courses - to replace both of them. But to be honest I understand why they are getting rid of A2, almost everyone in A2 at my school could have easily been in A1.

ReputationRep:
    HI guys,
    i am starting IB in two months,
    i need help with my subject choices please help;
    MATH HL
    Physics HL
    Chemistry HL or Economics HL

Chemistry SL or Economics SL
    English Sl
    French Sl

please help me choose my higher level
    and please give me some tips that would help me in IB
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cafu)
    HI guys,
    i am starting IB in two months,
    i need help with my subject choices please help;
    MATH HL
    Physics HL
    Chemistry HL or Economics HL

Chemistry SL or Economics SL
    English Sl
    French Sl

please help me choose my higher level
    and please give me some tips that would help me in IB
    thanks
    I think I can help. I do Math, History, French HL, English, Chemistry, Economics SL.

Word of advice: Don't do Math HL unless you truly believe you are on track for a 6 or 7.
    Physics HL is supposed to be one of the four hardest IB courses, but i assume you enjoy physics in which case you should be fine. It apparently isn't too much work.

For chemistry or economics and HL - do whichever you enjoy more, or whichever may be more relevant for uni. I've heard that the Econ syllabus is changing, but atm there is very little difference between HL and SL (and i regret not doing HL for this reason). However, an unusually high proportion of candidates get the top grade of 7 worldwide in Econ (something like 12%, compared to 8% Math HL, and 4% History HL) and I wouldn't say it is too difficult (the internal assessment bit is nice and fun too).

But now for Chemistry. I do SL but everybody else in my class does HL, and there is a HUGE difference in terms of content covered. I grin at my classmates whenever we reach the end of the chapter where it says "For HL only" and the complicated bits start. If you're doing Math HL and Physics HL, you'll find Chem SL quite easy, i think. But it may seem logical to include Chem HL given your other HL's, idk?

However, i can't leave you without some History HL propaganda. If I were you, I definitely drop one of Physics or Chem to take History HL (never SL though). It's a fantastic course. A lot of work, but probably the best IB course they offer. And really rewarding too, because by the end of it you feel like you "know your place in history" and why the world is like it is today. (But if natural sciences are your passion, go for those. History will just get in the way.)

Oh and for overall IB tips: work as hard as you can in year 12 and you'll find your final year much more manageable. You have so much other stuff to do beyond covering content in your classes that you'll be thankful for having put a lot of effort into your classes in the first year. And definitely get your Extended Essay out of the way before around november of year 13, no matter what!

Hope some of this helps

EDIT: Come to think of it, take 4 HL's. Econ HL is not at all much more than Econ SL. This is good for four reasons: 1. If you think one of the HL's is too difficult, you can just drop down to SL. 2. It looks good when you apply. 3. If you get a UK uni offer, they will ask for "7,7,7" or "6,6,5" or whatever at HL level. If you have 4 HL subjects to begin with, you have a greater margin for error. And finally 4. When people ask you what subjects you're taking at HL, you can show off by stating your fourth one, and you'll come across as a beast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad astra.)
    Sorry, that came across as very arrogant, i apologise. Umm i have some French friends so i practice with them. Otherwise i've done french a bit before the IB, so i entered the IB already knowing basic grammar, how to write, etc.

But as an exam, it will very rarely surprise you as you know exactly what to expect. And the stats for French B HL grade distribution shows it not to be among the most difficult courses. I would say it is easier for a non-native speaker than A1 HL is for a native speaker (but, then again, it does depend on the person...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster101)
    One of my teachers was designing the new B course and she was explaining that it is going to be of a standard between the current B and A2 courses - to replace both of them. But to be honest I understand why they are getting rid of A2, almost everyone in A2 at my school could have easily been in A1.
    Thanks! I'm guessing that the old B HL course will be for the new B SL course, and the old A2 course for the new B HL course?

(Original post by Pigeon93)
    Sorry, that came across as very arrogant, i apologise. Umm i have some French friends so i practice with them. Otherwise i've done french a bit before the IB, so i entered the IB already knowing basic grammar, how to write, etc.

But as an exam, it will very rarely surprise you as you know exactly what to expect. And the stats for French B HL grade distribution shows it not to be among the most difficult courses. I would say it is easier for a non-native speaker than A1 HL is for a native speaker (but, then again, it does depend on the person...)
    No problem, didn't sound arrogaunt to me. You're lucky that you have friends to practise a foreign language! It's too bad all of my friends only know English, then. :P
    And thanks again for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Psychology HL or History HL....? I enjoy both, but I think I would enjoy Psych a bit more. And in my school Psych is easy and we have a great teacher.

On the other hand, Psychology is not regarded as an extremely "academic" subject, and might be considered a "soft" subject for top universities.

I'd like to study International Relations or Law in uni.

Please help

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have confirmed my IB Subjects. They are:

Modern Greek Literature (A1) HL
    Mathematics HL
    Physics HL
    English Literature (A1) prob HL

History SL
    Economics SL

The question is, should I have selected Theatre Arts instead of Economics as a second SL? I am not particularly interested in any of these, but I am pretty sure I will do better in Economics. Still, would the Theatre class show that I am well-rounded or something?

Off-topic: Given that my goal is to go to Oxbridge (Maths and Philosophy), another concern of mine is whether I will actually need to do extra-curricular activities, such as sports, volunteer work, or even academic competitions, or if the aforementioned academic schedule will be sufficient for admission.

I am waiting to hear your responses...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Dayseizer)
    Hey, I have confirmed my IB Subjects. They are:

Modern Greek Literature (A1) HL
    Mathematics HL
    Physics HL
    English Literature (A1) prob HL

History SL
    Economics SL

The question is, should I have selected Theatre Arts instead of Economics as a second SL? I am not particularly interested in any of these, but I am pretty sure I will do better in Economics. Still, would the Theatre class show that I am well-rounded or something?

Off-topic: Given that my goal is to go to Oxbridge (Maths and Philosophy), another concern of mine is whether I will actually need to do extra-curricular activities, such as sports, volunteer work, or even academic competitions, or if the aforementioned academic schedule will be sufficient for admission.

I am waiting to hear your responses...

No, taking Theatre Arts won't make you look like an all-rounder or anything like that. Taking Economics SL is fine and is rather easy to score in so IB points wise, that's a good choice.

Oxbridge does not specifically necessitate the need for extra-curricular activities. However, it might be worthwhile for you to take part in Math Olympiads/societies associated with your course. It's always an extra plus point to put on your personal statement and something the tutor would be interested in discussing with you at interview also.

For the record, you would anyhow have to do CAS hours to get your diploma. So essentially, you will be doing a lot of extra-curricular activities whether you like it or not. That's the good part of the IB. Helps you do stuff that can boost your application.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

I'm currently half way through my first year of IB, and at the moment, I'm doing the following subjects:

Chemistry HL
    Biology HL
    History HL
    Psychology HL (As my 7th for certificate)

English SL
    Maths SL
    Spanish Ab Initio SL

However, at the moment I'm in discussions with my IB Co-ordinator about the possibility of changing my subjects around so that they'll be:

English HL
    Biology HL
    History HL
    Psychology HL (Certificate)

Chemistry SL
    Spanish Ab Initio SL
    Maths Studies SL

I really want to do History at University in some form or another, most likely Ancient History or just straight history. Do you reckon the subjects are okay, and do you reckon its worth me changing the combination?

Thanks in advance guys!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys;]
    I've got a problem. Can you help me choose? I don't know which subject I should choose HL and SL.

Math HL
    Economy HL
    Physic or Psychology HL

Polish A1 SL
    English A2 SL
    Physic or Psychology SL

And what's with this taking 4 subject HL? How can I do this?

ReputationRep:
    Are these a good idea for studying medicine at a top university?

Maths HL
    English HL
    Chemistry HL
    Biology HL

French SL
    History SL

ReputationRep:
    This is not my final decisions, but I would like you IB experts to take a look at it

IB History HL
    IB A1 Literature German HL
    IB Theatre HL
    IB A1 Literature English SL
    IB Math SL
    IB Chem SL

is taking your native-language a good option?
    do colleges hate classes like Theatre?
    how is math sl?
    do they give credits to ppl taking double A1 lit courses?

I am aiming for top universities in US, and I wish to major in poli sci, history, english, etc. (how good is this schedule?) is it competitive enough to apply for ivy leagues? (assuming that i will have a good IB score)

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck between studying the IB in a college (RUTC) or studying it in a sixth form (Ashcroft tech.) Personally I'd prefer going to Richmond but, there's a few things to consider... Anyways this is what I'd be doing at Richmond upon Thames College:
    HL
    English
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    SL
    Hisotry
    Spanish

As you can see quite challenging and really academic. However, it's not what I really want to do..... Heres what I may do at Ashcroft:
    HL
    English
    Maths
    Physics
    SL
    Spanish
    Psychology / Philosphy
    Film / Further Maths / Biology / Chemisrty

Quite a potentially unconventional list. However, i'm interested in Film but gifted in Maths (Did my maths exams Nov. 2010 got A*) and I was told to consider an additional science for group six as [insert generic reason here].

Some other things I wasn't sure of is how funding differenciates between colleges and sixth forms. I understand colleges get more money from the government but sixth forms have greater leniency in respects to where that money goes.
    I know that ultimately the decision is mine to make and it's basically deciding between where I want to go or what I want to study. But any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    PS. This is my first ever post.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry HL is very difficult! I do biology SL and find this easy, but the HL biologists find it hard for revising, for both HL chem and bio. both demanding subjects. Four HL subjects would be a nightmare!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I am torn between doing Economics or Geography at HL. Does anyone have experience of either of these? Which one is easier or more enjoyable? Which one involves more current affaires?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charliefisher)
    I am torn between doing Economics or Geography at HL. Does anyone have experience of either of these? Which one is easier or more enjoyable? Which one involves more current affaires?
    I do both at HL and am currently taking the exams and want to continue to do Geography at uni.
    Personally I feel geography is a lot more to do with current affairs as you apply all you learn to things that have happened, while in economics it is a lot of theory, though you can look at real life examples.
    I would say content wise learning, geography there is a LOT to revise, i've filled 3 of the big folders with notes over the 2 years, whereas learning economics is easier as it's a lot more logical.
    Sorry I can't be of more help but hope this gives you some sort of idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akaten)
    I'm stuck between studying the IB in a college (RUTC) or studying it in a sixth form (Ashcroft tech.) Personally I'd prefer going to Richmond but, there's a few things to consider... Anyways this is what I'd be doing at Richmond upon Thames College:
    HL
    English
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    SL
    Hisotry
    Spanish

As you can see quite challenging and really academic. However, it's not what I really want to do..... Heres what I may do at Ashcroft:
    HL
    English
    Maths
    Physics
    SL
    Spanish
    Psychology / Philosphy
    Film / Further Maths / Biology / Chemisrty

Quite a potentially unconventional list. However, i'm interested in Film but gifted in Maths (Did my maths exams Nov. 2010 got A*) and I was told to consider an additional science for group six as [insert generic reason here].

Some other things I wasn't sure of is how funding differenciates between colleges and sixth forms. I understand colleges get more money from the government but sixth forms have greater leniency in respects to where that money goes.
    I know that ultimately the decision is mine to make and it's basically deciding between where I want to go or what I want to study. But any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    PS. This is my first ever post.
    with all due respect do not ever assume that you'll do well in HL maths with regards to your GCSE/A Level Maths. Not because its easier but it's because the approach is very different. I would say go and borrow a IB student's HL maths textbook. I don't doubt your ability in maths but im just saying, you may or may not like the way it's presented. you need to really enjoy maths and the thought behind it to do hl maths, because afterall you are spending some 7 lessons a fortnight on it, and since you are interested in film i'm not sure this is what you might want to do.

you want to follow what you want to do, not what you think you should do.
    because when it comes to chosing your careers and going to uni or whatever, you need to be able to convince people that you love the subject, and why you want to continue studying it. i suggest you take film HL.

I can tell you now physics is a very challenging subject, not mathematically but conceptually, it's difficult to understand what the questions want. it seems like the way the IB phrase their questions in the papers are trying to trip you up.
    again, if you need it for uni, do it, or if you're really interested. if not, then dont.
    english HL is good, it's not that different from SL, just more texts and more work, it might actually help your analysing skills if you're going to do film in the future.

I must then warn you about doing 4 highers. don't, unless you're 100% sure you have excellant time management. so there you have it, i think the second set of options (ashcroft) would suit you because its what you want to do. and it will motivate you to get through the two years of IB, so really, just follow what you want.

thats my advice, hope that gave you a basic idea for this.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm starting the IB in September, and I am thinking of doing the following subjects:
    English Literature HL
    History HL
    French HL
    Chemistry SL
    Maths SL
    Biology SL
    Would these be suitable subjects for Law with French Law at university? This is not definite though, and I am quite interested in science too, although by only taking science at Standard level, I will probably be ruling this out. If I do change my mind, would I be keeping my options open for most Arts subjects? Also, I could change one of the SL's for an Ab Intio language (Spanish). Would this be a good idea to show that I am interested in languages, or should I stick to the original combination?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.