Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    Are these a good idea for studying medicine at a top university?

Maths HL
    English HL
    Chemistry HL
    Biology HL

French SL
    History SL
    You should probably make math sl. The sciences are tough and you don't want an unneeded workload.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Im in my 1st IB year, and I want to do Business&Management in a university in USA. I was wondering if i can drop from Maths SL to Math Studies SL, because I find it really hard to understand most of the topics. For me, at the beginning of every topic, I find it quite easy but then it just gets ridiculously complicated and I start to struggle. My current IB choices are:

HL: French B, Economics,Geography
    SL: Maths SL, English, Environmental Systems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaneel)
    You should probably make math sl. The sciences are tough and you don't want an unneeded workload.
    Ive always loved maths and I'd feel I wasn't giving it my all if I didn't try higher. That's why Im doing 4 to begin with- if maths is too difficult. Then I'll drop it, if not, I'll drop english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    Ive always loved maths and I'd feel I wasn't giving it my all if I didn't try higher. That's why Im doing 4 to begin with- if maths is too difficult. Then I'll drop it, if not, I'll drop english
    are you confident on getting the required ib points for your uni?

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking IB next year, and picked classes based on my uni interests. But people keep telling me I'm nuts, is there any possible reassurance here?

HL: Math, Physics, Chemistry
    SL: Latin, English A, Peace and Conflict

Side note: Peace and conflict is a combination class of world issues, politics, economics, history, theology and sociology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PheonixCarmine)
    I'm taking IB next year, and picked classes based on my uni interests. But people keep telling me I'm nuts, is there any possible reassurance here?

HL: Math, Physics, Chemistry
    SL: Latin, English A, Peace and Conflict

Side note: Peace and conflict is a combination class of world issues, politics, economics, history, theology and sociology.
    If you want to go into sciences (clearly engineer, physicist, chemist or something along those lines) then what you took is not only good but pretty much essential.

People will tell you "OMG HL MATHS + SCIENCE YOU ARE INSANE" because those are generally considered to be quite tough, especially HL maths. Though maths IS hard, you'll need it for practically anything scientific in the physical sciences. It's clearly what you're into so you're gonna enjoy this combination the most.

There's no reason at all why you shouldn't take this combination if you're interested in science and maths, don't let others try and change your mind just because they don't like those subjects. Personally I would call anyone doing English HL insane Objectively though, the only "insane" choice you can make is one where you pick a subject because you think it would be "easier" even though you know you wouldn't enjoy it; a recipe for a bad grade.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody,

I am taking IB next year and I don't which subjects I should choose. Some people tell me that I should go for easiest subjects and score highest grades. However, I heard that easycombination of subjects is not recommended and they might be also disregarded by better univesities such as LSE or Warwick.

My first choice of subjects is:
    HL English B
    HL Economics
    HL History
    SL Maths
    SL French
    SLBiology

My second harder option of subjects is:
    HL English B
    HL Maths
    HL Economics
    SL History
    SL French
    SL Physics

I addition I would like to do degree of economics/management or engineering.

Thank you,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golem484)
    Hello everybody,

I am taking IB next year and I don't which subjects I should choose. Some people tell me that I should go for easiest subjects and score highest grades. However, I heard that easycombination of subjects is not recommended and they might be also disregarded by better univesities such as LSE or Warwick.

My first choice of subjects is:
    HL English B
    HL Economics
    HL History
    SL Maths
    SL French
    SLBiology

My second harder option of subjects is:
    HL English B
    HL Maths
    HL Economics
    SL History
    SL French
    SL Physics

I addition I would like to do degree of economics/management or engineering.

Thank you,
    Before I say anything, I'd like to mention English: taking English B puts you at a disadvantage I believe, because you will also have to take a TOEFL or IELTS and especially for management which is very essay based, they might not be completely confident in your English. You should probably check the websites and prospectuses for that, or send them an Email, because I'm not sure how important it is.

Seen as you mention economics and LSE and Warwick, I already have to say that you will have to take HL Maths as it's a requirement (you need a 7 at LSE and 6 at Warwick, though they might even raise that in the future, you never know). Same for all the similarly ranked universities for pure Economics, most universities in the top10-top20 will want to see HL maths.

For Engineering, you will most definitely also need HL Maths and physics too, and a lot of engineers take Chemistry at HL, but I don't think that's absolutely necessary. Probably good to check for the universities you're interested in though, whether another science helps. In my opinion, with the kind of university you are aiming for and with the subjects you are looking for, I would take

HL Maths
    HL Economics
    HL Physics
    SL History
    SL French
    SL English

to keep my options open. If you definitely want to do economics, swap HL Physics for something else, preferably History or something like that, unless you want to do Physics. If you know you want to do Management, your original selection is probably fine, though HL Maths will still be very helpful for your application even if it's not a requirement.

ReputationRep:
    I am starting my diploma program next year. I plan to go to a North American university but have no idea what I want to do in the future.

Here are the IB subjects that I picked

HL: English Lit., Chemistry, Chinese B
    SL: Physics, Math, Economics

Should I switch from double science to 1 art 1 science?
    Is double language HL ok or is it not recommended?

Thanks in advance~~
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kimiechi)
    Okay so I'm starting the IB in September, and I am thinking of doing the following subjects:
    English Literature HL
    History HL
    French HL
    Chemistry SL
    Maths SL
    Biology SL
    Your subject choices for HLs are perfect for Law at Uni. I'm currently studying Law at LSE and before starting the IB, I spoke to many advisors and counsellors about my ideal subject choices (because Oxbridge was my aim then). They all unanimously told me that for Law, although there is no prescribed list of subjects that Unis prefer, the one subject that they resoundingly consider important for the future study of Law is English. For whatever reason, History is also given weight for Law applications (or so I've been told and I took it at HL).

Seeing as you want to study Law in conjunction with French at Uni, taking French HL is advisable for you as well.

Would these be suitable subjects for Law with French Law at university? This is not definite though, and I am quite interested in science too, although by only taking science at Standard level, I will probably be ruling this out. If I do change my mind, would I be keeping my options open for most Arts subjects? Also, I could change one of the SL's for an Ab Intio language (Spanish). Would this be a good idea to show that I am interested in languages, or should I stick to the original combination?
    You really need to sort out what you want, if not the exact field, then at least roughly the subject area. Do you want to ultimately study some science field? Social science? Or pure Arts? If you're going for Social science (and Law in particular), then your current subject choices are perfect. You can switch around with the sciences if you want and take another language or maybe another social science (I would suggest Economics or Psychology), it wouldn't make much of a difference.

If you're interested in a science field, then you have to take at least one science (the one I assume you're interested in) at HL, otherwise you're ruling out sciences entirely.

As far as Arts are concerned, you have the ideal combination for Arts whether or not you drop one science for Spanish or not. English, History, and French are more than enough. Those fields will be open to you unless the university teaching a particular Art course specifies differently.

Taking three languages is a bit much, in my opinion. Why would you want to show you're good in languages by taking three anyway? Unless you're going for linguistics, international relations, or some such, what purpose will it serve? Showing you've taken English and French at HL is displaying more than enough linguistic prowess if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    Hola. I want to become a Human Rights Barrister. Are these suitable options?

English HL
    Psychology HL
    Biology HL
    Maths Studies
    Visual Arts
    Ab Initio French

I can't do SL Maths, as our teacher insists on at least a high B to do it. I'm predicted a B, but I'll probably not get it. I know I will be able to switch if I get the B though.

Also, I would love to go to Oxbridge. Would they take me seriously with these options?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JoeZell)
    Hola. I want to become a Human Rights Barrister. Are these suitable options?

English HL
    Psychology HL
    Biology HL
    Maths Studies
    Visual Arts

Ab Initio French

I can't do SL Maths, as our teacher insists on at least a high B to do it. I'm predicted a B, but I'll probably not get it. I know I will be able to switch if I get the B though.

Also, I would love to go to Oxbridge. Would they take me seriously with these options?
    Um, I guess it shouldn't make a difference whether you take Maths at Studies or SL, but it does. Generally Studies' students are looked down upon, even by Unis, so I'd try to get into SL if I were you, especially if your aim is Oxbridge.

I just do not see the point of taking VA. Are you good at art? Look, for Law (or mostly any subject for that matter), what is important are your HLs. Your SLs exist solely to boost your overall IB score. VA is one of the most unpredictable IB subjects because its totally, 100% subjective and there is no method to the madness. A friend of mine was a predicted 7, he got a 3 in the end. That's how unpredictable VA can be, not to mention useless for your future as a lawyer.

My ernest suggestion would be to drop VA and replace it with some other humanity subject (ideally History).

Another thing, why take Psychology over History, or even Economics? I'm currently studying Law at LSE and mostly everyone here who did IB took English and History at HL. Furthermore, if you're planning on studying Law ultimately, you should know that it requires a lot of mindless memorisation. History prepares you for that like no other. Also History is easy to score in if you have a good memory, Psychological requires an equal amount of memorising, if not more, and is much harder to get a 7 in.

Finally, why take your science at HL? Drop it down to SL and save yourself the trouble. You don't need it for Law at all. You only have to take it for the sake of the IB. Bring it down to SL and take another humanity at HL instead.

That's my advice to you in any case,
    Arrowhead.

PS: You might just change your tune about Human Rights Law when you actually start studying it. Hehe. I would know. If you have any questions about HR though, message me and I'll get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrowhead)
    Um, I guess it shouldn't make a difference whether you take Maths at Studies or SL, but it does. Generally Studies' students are looked down upon, even by Unis, so I'd try to get into SL if I were you, especially if your aim is Oxbridge.

I just do not see the point of taking VA. Are you good at art? Look, for Law (or mostly any subject for that matter), what is important are your HLs. Your SLs exist solely to boost your overall IB score. VA is one of the most unpredictable IB subjects because its totally, 100% subjective and there is no method to the madness. A friend of mine was a predicted 7, he got a 3 in the end. That's how unpredictable VA can be, not to mention useless for your future as a lawyer.

My ernest suggestion would be to drop VA and replace it with some other humanity subject (ideally History).

Another thing, why take Psychology over History, or even Economics? I'm currently studying Law at LSE and mostly everyone here who did IB took English and History at HL. Furthermore, if you're planning on studying Law ultimately, you should know that it requires a lot of mindless memorisation. History prepares you for that like no other. Also History is easy to score in if you have a good memory, Psychological requires an equal amount of memorising, if not more, and is much harder to get a 7 in.

Finally, why take your science at HL? Drop it down to SL and save yourself the trouble. You don't need it for Law at all. You only have to take it for the sake of the IB. Bring it down to SL and take another humanity at HL instead.

That's my advice to you in any case,
    Arrowhead.

PS: You might just change your tune about Human Rights Law when you actually start studying it. Hehe. I would know. If you have any questions about HR though, message me and I'll get back to you.
    OK, are these better?
    HL English
    HL Biology
    HL Psychology
    SL Mathematics
    SL History
    Ab Initio French

I can't do History at HL, as I was predicted a D. I'm probably going to get a C, but it's not good enough.

If I did SL Maths, I'd probably end up struggling, though I have plans in motion for this.

I didn't do Psychology at Gcse, but I was told that HL is the only way it'd fit.

Should I ask for an exception to be made for HL History, and to drop Psychology to SL?

Finally, I chose HL Biology as I enjoy it, and I'm good at it, so my teacher suggested it as easy points.

I'm quite nervous, so advice is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm starting the IB in September, and I am thinking of doing the following subjects:
    English Literature HL
    History HL
    French HL
    Chemistry SL
    Maths SL
    Biology SL
    Would these be suitable subjects for Law with French Law at university? This is not definite though, and I am quite interested in science too, although by only taking science at Standard level, I will probably be ruling this out. If I do change my mind, would I be keeping my options open for most Arts subjects? Also, I could change one of the SL's for an Ab Intio language (Spanish). Would this be a good idea to show that I am interested in languages, or should I stick to the original combination?
    For Law, you will often find that uni advisors quip that any combo of subjects is fine but they do appreciate subjects which require writing (speaking from personal experience talking to UCL, King's, LSE, Oxford reps, having been accepted to LSE and interviewed at Oxford for Law). Therefore, English and History will put you in good stead.

Have you considered doing Economics? I think this would be much more useful than Bio if you are intending on Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alsl333)
    For Law, you will often find that uni advisors quip that any combo of subjects is fine but they do appreciate subjects which require writing (speaking from personal experience talking to UCL, King's, LSE, Oxford reps, having been accepted to LSE and interviewed at Oxford for Law). Therefore, English and History will put you in good stead.

Have you considered doing Economics? I think this would be much more useful than Bio if you are intending on Law.
    I couldn't have done Economics, my school only offers it instead of History, and I'm definitely doing History cos I love it
    It's kinda redundant now anyway cos I've gone to the dark side (doing a levels - lol )
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    OK, are these better?
    HL English
    HL Biology
    HL Psychology
    SL Mathematics
    SL History
    Ab Initio French
    Yeah, I think that's a lot better for you.

I can't do History at HL, as I was predicted a D. I'm probably going to get a C, but it's not good enough.
    See, this I don't understand. You claim you won't be able to do History HL, but are happily taking on Psychology and Biology at HL. These two subjects involve pure memorisation to the same extent as History. There is absolutely nothing more to them, except that in Biology you do lab write-ups and in History and Psychology its more essay submission. But then again, maybe these subjects make sense to you and you will find them easy.

If I did SL Maths, I'd probably end up struggling, though I have plans in motion for this.
    Maths SL isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Although if you genuinely suck at Maths, you might struggle. But that is if you completely avoid working on it until the very last minute. Personally, I think if you recognise that Maths is one of your weaker points and work regularly on it throughout the IB (as tiresome as it may be sometimes), you could handily end up with a 6 at the very least. Its very easy to get a 6 in SL Maths, trust me on that because I wasn't much of a Maths person either.

I didn't do Psychology at Gcse, but I was told that HL is the only way it'd fit.
    Really, comparing GCSEs to IB is a joke. What you did then just cannot compare no matter what. At the end of the day, even if you've studied something in your GCSEs, you still have to start from scratch because everything is taught more in-depth when you take it as an IB subject. You won't be at a disadvantage at all compared to your peers who have possibly taken Psychology at their GCSEs.

Should I ask for an exception to be made for HL History, and to drop Psychology to SL?
    Frankly I think that might be beneficial for you. At first I just assumed you were intrigued by Psychology and wanted to study it at the IB that is why you were taking it at Higher Level. But if its mainly because of a scheduling conflict, then you might as well ask for an exemption and take History. You might have some trouble with it, but think of it this way: If you can't handle IB History HL, there is very little chance you will enjoy Law of any kind, because compared to History, the content in Law is drier and much longer. Memorisation is key to doing well in Law and if you can't blindly rote-learn like a frickin' parrot when the need arises, you will face some hefty trouble as a lawyer.

Finally, I chose HL Biology as I enjoy it, and I'm good at it, so my teacher suggested it as easy points.
    Biology HL is only easy points if you can, again, memorise, its the one science that is least demanding in the 'understanding' department. So more power to you if you can manage it!

Best of luck!
    Arrowhead.

ReputationRep:
    Really, comparing GCSEs to IB is a joke. What you did then just cannot compare no matter what. At the end of the day, even if you've studied something in your GCSEs, you still have to start from scratch because everything is taught more in-depth when you take it as an IB subject. You won't be at a disadvantage at all compared to your peers who have possibly taken Psychology at their GCSEs.
    I was told that you have to have a B at GCSE to do the subject at HL. It seems that this does not apply.

Frankly I think that might be beneficial for you. At first I just assumed you were intrigued by Psychology and wanted to study it at the IB that is why you were taking it at Higher Level. But if its mainly because of a scheduling conflict, then you might as well ask for an exemption and take History.
    How do I go about doing this?

Finally, if they say no, will SL History and HL Psychology work OK?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm starting the IB next year and I am STILL undecisive about which Group 3 subject I should take. Its gunna be at HL to fill in my gap. I'm stuck between choosing HL History or HL Economics. I absolutely love history but our school were gunna teach Route 1 history which I wasn't pleased about so I chose economics (as my dad said I'd enjoy it). However on 6th form induction, the economics was 'OKish' and I thought even without the teavher I'll try get a 7 when I found the History Group were doing Route 2 The Cold War (Modern) and I'm so thrilled and I wanna change to History now. BUT because this is the first year (yes I know don't need a lecture about it :s ) which subject do I have a better chance of getting a 7 cos I will put my most effort into either choice but I prefer history more. Just as this is a first time taught, which subject should I go for to get a 7 easily? THANKS
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    How do I go about doing this?

Finally, if they say no, will SL History and HL Psychology work OK?
    Go to your IB Coordinator and tell him/her that this is what you want to study. Whether you have the required GCSE grade or not doesn't mean you can or cannot take a particular class in the IB. Those standards are set by your school and not by the IB. So if you take a stand and say that I want to take History HL and not Psychology there is very little that the school can do about it. Of course they can try to deter you and say that because you lack the adequate grade at GCSE, they don't think you will be capable of handling it at IB. You just calmly say that you want to give it a shot, if after the first week or two, you're struggling in the worst way then you will happily switch out from History HL to SL.

(Original post by SandipM :))
    I'm starting the IB next year and I am STILL undecisive about which Group 3 subject I should take. Its gunna be at HL to fill in my gap. I'm stuck between choosing HL History or HL Economics. I absolutely love history but our school were gunna teach Route 1 history which I wasn't pleased about so I chose economics (as my dad said I'd enjoy it). However on 6th form induction, the economics was 'OKish' and I thought even without the teavher I'll try get a 7 when I found the History Group were doing Route 2 The Cold War (Modern) and I'm so thrilled and I wanna change to History now. BUT because this is the first year (yes I know don't need a lecture about it :s ) which subject do I have a better chance of getting a 7 cos I will put my most effort into either choice but I prefer history more. Just as this is a first time taught, which subject should I go for to get a 7 easily? THANKS
    There really is no way to say that one subject is easier to get a 7 on than another. Statistically, students who take History HL get 7s more often than students who take Economics HL. I had the fortune of taking them both at HL and I got 7s in both and I can tell you that the experience was hardly very different. Both subjects require an obscene amount of memorisation, History more than Economics. But Economics, for that 7, requires a large number of examples, and use of current affairs at every turn in any essay-style answer. Both of them are very hard, time-consuming subjects and if you don't put in the effort, you will not get a 7 in either. So its not easier to get a 7 in one and not the other no matter how you look at it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks arrowhead,

If I make the enquiry a bit clearer. If I was to choose one of the options and my school are introducing theIB for the first time at my school, and so if I were to buy recourses OSC guides and course companion books which subject would I more likely get a 7 in (like what's the IAs like?) Cos I will put a tremendouis effort in either subject. Its just I'm not sure whether I should do history cos I prefer it or economics :s and is history at HL more preferred over eonomics? Sorry if it doesn't make sense cos I'm on my phone rushing to write this down

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.