Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by RadioaktivniC)
    btw guys if you don't know yet what to do at uni than choose 'classical' subjects such as Geography,History,Psychology,etc . AVOID Economics,Design Technology,Anthropology,etc.
    a) How on earth are you going to cope with the quantitative aspects of Mechanical Engineering for 4 years if your only high school math course was IB Math Studies?

b) Economics is considered a "classical" subject as well.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1739620

Please vote for the second emoticon.

Thank you for your help!

Also, good luck with your IB choices!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This thread sounds like a Rebecca Black song :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitronaldo)
    a) How on earth are you going to cope with the quantitative aspects of Mechanical Engineering for 4 years if your only high school math course was IB Math Studies?

b) Economics is considered a "classical" subject as well.
    a) yeah Math Studies for 2 years only :rolleyes: we have 4 years of high school, even though I was in IB MYP math syllabus had to fit the national syllabus for 90% plus no calculators in exams :cool: not to mention elementary school whose syllabus differs from yours - it is much harder and things you start to do in high school we do it in 5th grade of elementary
    b) sorry my bad,still i don't advise people to do Economics in IB
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    a) yeah Math Studies for 2 years only :rolleyes: we have 4 years of high school, even though I was in IB MYP math syllabus had to fit the national syllabus for 90% plus no calculators in exams :cool: not to mention elementary school whose syllabus differs from yours - it is much harder and things you start to do in high school we do it in 5th grade of elementary
    I think you misunderstood me. What I am asking is doesn't an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering (or any form of engineering for that matter) require a strong and solid math foundation which you would lack by only taking Math Studies.

Not sure about your advice....but I would strongly encourage someone to take Economics over History, Geography etc if the person is solely focused on scoring the top grade. The IBO statistics don't lie when they say that nearly 20% of HL Economics students get a 7 compared with a mere 3% of HL History students/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitronaldo)
    I think you misunderstood me. What I am asking is doesn't an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering (or any form of engineering for that matter) require a strong and solid math foundation which you would lack by only taking Math Studies.

Not sure about your advice....but I would strongly encourage someone to take Economics over History, Geography etc if the person is solely focused on scoring the top grade. The IBO statistics don't lie when they say that nearly 20% of HL Economics students get a 7 compared with a mere 3% of HL History students/
    well that's what I said: math SL already offers things that people in national program here taught in previous education edit: that's quite enough to do engineering - well ok mechanical engineering at least as a core knowledge

ReputationRep:
    I finished the pre-IB last year and now, just in the past 2 days, I have started the IB. I've chosen HL subjects as follows. HL: Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology. I want to study abroad in a good university keeping as many doors open as possible for my subject choices. There might be two changes in my subject. The other one is that I'll have to switch to SL Math, the other being that I'll change bio to psychology.

The decision is hard, because I think dropping math to SL will make it very unlikely or fundamentally impossible to get to some high-quality schools which offer economics, medicine and other similar areas of study where math HL is essential or at least kept in a very high value when picking the students. The other thing is that I find biology has always been one of my strongest subjects; I enjoy the practicality, relative easiness and in particular the study of genes, genetics and evolution in biology. And I still want to keep economics and perhaps law open at this point.

However, I'm not that much at all into the practical work of studying larger organisms than ones we use microscope on to study them, or leaves/anything too familiar, and I heard that biology in many cases isn't as important as phy, chem and math, thinking about most respected universities and also possibilites to move on from studying medicine to other interesting varieties of the combinations that these three subjects can provide. Such as theoretical physics by itself, physical chemistry or mathematical physics from which I could carry on to other branches.

Psychology is very interesting to me and people have I have some great ideas and general intuitive understanding of how psychology works, this having been on the pre-IB. I have studies psychology only a few courses, whereas I've had bio for many years. How could I combine psychology, thinking about my future job, with my other studies if I would choose to take it? I'd generally like views on what differences do these two possible combinations have considering a) possible universities b) possible areas of study to concentrate on in these universities c) the variety of total options on potential further studying and getting jobs.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    btw guys if you don't know yet what to do at uni than choose 'classical' subjects such as Geography,History,Psychology,etc . AVOID Economics,Design Technology,Anthropology,etc.
    You mean 'traditional' subjects
    And Economics does come under that bracket
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RadioaktivkiC)
    I've spoken to several Universities' admissions' officers and such, they've never expressed a disinterest or dislike of Economics. They have expressed a disinterest in Business and some Unis outright mention that taking Business is a 'non-preferred subject.' Economics is considered a classic, accepted, and respected subject in the US and UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrowhead)
    I've spoken to several Universities' admissions' officers and such, they've never expressed a disinterest or dislike of Economics. They have expressed a disinterest in Business and some Unis outright mention that taking Business is a 'non-preferred subject.' Economics is considered a classic, accepted, and respected subject in the US and UK.
    I am speaking about the subject itself, and not about acceptance of the subjects. subject is not easy at all and unless you plan to study economics or something related to economics i don't think that that would be a good choice
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I am speaking about the subject itself, and not about acceptance of the subjects. subject is not easy at all and unless you plan to study economics or something related to economics i don't think that that would be a good choice
    I disagree. I took Economics HL and it was one of my most manageable subjects. I don't think I ever worried about doing well in it because it was equal parts memorisation and common sense. Also Economics is a great humanities subject to take to fulfil the Group 3 requirement no matter whichever course you're planning to pursue. Everyone has to take one Humanities subject for their IB Diploma. Some people don't want to struggle with History because it is a vast and demanding subject, Psychology is difficult to score in, but Economics is not only more manageable than History but also much easier to get a 6/7 in statistically. And all of that is topped of by the fact that universities respect it as a subject.

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm starting IB in September and these are the subject choices I made. In brackets I've put my IGCSE results from Edexcel I just got today:

Maths HL (A*)
    Physics HL (Science Double Award: A*A*)
    Computer Science HL (ICT: A*)

Spanish Ab initio
    Psychology SL
    English Lit/Lang SL (A in both Literature and Language)

I also got A* (just barely I think) in French, and I've been having second thoughts on whether I should take Spanish Ab initio or French SL in IB.

I've decided early on that I'll be focusing on my HL's no matter what, cause that's where I'd like my career path to go. I feel I'm ok-good in French, but that I'd do terribly in IB, maybe like a 4 or 5. I've heard that Spanish is easy to pick up on the other hand, so which one should I pick?

The advantage I see of taking French is that I know the language, and I may not have to work too hard and I might be able to scrape a 5, which is ok for me. With less time devoted to the language, I could use that for concentration on my HL's.

On the other hand, maybe I have to work a bit harder in Spanish, but then maybe I could get a 6 or a 7? I guess I'm basically asking how difficult and time-consuming are both French SL and Spanish Ab Initio.

Thanks in advance
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Zuler)
    I also got A* (just barely I think) in French, and I've been having second thoughts on whether I should take Spanish Ab initio or French SL in IB.
    Your IGCSE scores do not reflect how you're going to do in the IB at all. I had a friend who had an A* in Maths and could barely maintain a 4 in Maths HL. Another friend had an A* in Chemistry and she had to drop from Chemistry HL to SL because her teacher didn't think she would pass Chemistry HL. So always keep in mind, IGCSE scores reflect nothing, the IB takes everything to a new level.

(Original post by Zuler)
    I've decided early on that I'll be focusing on my HL's no matter what, cause that's where I'd like my career path to go. I feel I'm ok-good in French, but that I'd do terribly in IB, maybe like a 4 or 5. I've heard that Spanish is easy to pick up on the other hand, so which one should I pick?
    You don't know that yet. I'm guessing you'd go into French B SL which is relatively manageable. French B SL is for people with the most rudimentary skills in French but even then, if you don't work hard in the subject, you will fall back.

(Original post by Zuler)
    The advantage I see of taking French is that I know the language, and I may not have to work too hard and I might be able to scrape a 5, which is ok for me. With less time devoted to the language, I could use that for concentration on my HL's.
    Trust me, scraping a 5 in a language class is no big deal. Anybody can scrape a 5 especially with the kind of mark boundaries that the IB uses. For just stringing a few sentences together you'd get a 5.

(Original post by Zuler)
    On the other hand, maybe I have to work a bit harder in Spanish, but then maybe I could get a 6 or a 7? I guess I'm basically asking how difficult and time-consuming are both French SL and Spanish Ab Initio.
    Actually, I would say that the Ab Initio class would be easier for you. The Ab Initio classes redesigned to teach Beginners, absolute Beginners. I took French Ab Initio when I did the IB. In my class, those students who spoke fluent Spanish, barely ever worked at all because everything was so similar for them it felt unfair. Spanish Ab Initio will be a breeze for you with some exposure to French and from what I hear, Spanish is the easier of the two languages.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I'll stick with Spanish Ab initio then. Thanks for the advice arrowhead, I appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing AS level at my school, but I'm considering starting the IB - a month late - and I need some help choosing subjects. I want to study medicine at university, but my fall-back course is some sort of engineering (probably bio-medical).

I'm planning on taking English A1, French (probably B), Geography and Mathematics. My problem is my sciences: for Medicine, I would probably need Biology and Chemistry, but for Engineering, I would need Physics. Which sciences would be my best choice?

I'm getting very good marks at AS level in all my subjects, so I'm also lost as to what level I should take my sciences. Will anybody help me?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by VillaineCanaille)
    I'm currently doing AS level at my school, but I'm considering starting the IB - a month late - and I need some help choosing subjects. I want to study medicine at university, but my fall-back course is some sort of engineering (probably bio-medical).

I'm planning on taking English A1, French (probably B), Geography and Mathematics. My problem is my sciences: for Medicine, I would probably need Biology and Chemistry, but for Engineering, I would need Physics. Which sciences would be my best choice?

I'm getting very good marks at AS level in all my subjects, so I'm also lost as to what level I should take my sciences. Will anybody help me?
    You should probably take Chemistry and Biology since your main aim is Medicine and you rather go all out to aim for what you want, rather than spread out your choices because that makes it sound like you're not even sure you're good enough for Medicine. If that's what you want to do, do it.

Also take both Chemistry and Biology at HL, those are basic pre-requisites for Medicine, I would imagine. I would take English and French at SL and possibly take Geography at SL as well. But you've already miss a month of school, so Maths HL might be a bit too much alongside Chemistry and Biology HL (although Biology is pretty manageable, your real challenge will be Chemistry). If you think you can cope with it, take Maths at HL because although that isn't necessary for Medicine, I would think that it would be ancillary, but if it becomes too much to manage, I'd drop down the Maths and pick up one of your other SL subjects at HL.

ReputationRep:
    I want to study medicine and chose the following subjects,
    Chemistry HL
    Biology HL
    German HL

Maths SL
    English A1 SL
    History SL
    well i just wanted your opinion if these subjects are ok for medicine or if i should change any of these
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I aim to do Medicine in the future and the subjects I am thinking of taking are -
    HL -
    English A1
    Chemistry
    Biology

SL -
    Maths
    Psychology
    Spanish ab initio

Just wondered what people thought and should I change anything?
    Trouble is I can't change the language as I studied Japanese at GCSE and my college only does French, Spanish and German :s
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sas94)
    I want to study medicine and chose the following subjects,
    Chemistry HL
    Biology HL
    German HL

Maths SL
    English A1 SL
    History SL
    well i just wanted your opinion if these subjects are ok for medicine or if i should change any of these
    Perfect! Don't change a thing, just make sure you have amazing predicted scores and that you live up to those scores.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kirimin)
    I aim to do Medicine in the future and the subjects I am thinking of taking are -
    HL -
    English A1
    Chemistry
    Biology

SL -
    Maths
    Psychology
    Spanish ab initio

Just wondered what people thought and should I change anything?
    Trouble is I can't change the language as I studied Japanese at GCSE and my college only does French, Spanish and German :s
    It's perfect, don't worry about it. Just make sure you have amazing predicted scores and you live up to them for your universities. Also having an Ab initio language does not make your application less competitive. I applied to Oxford and LSE and King's with French Ab Initio, they didn't care, I still got in almost everywhere and got an interview from Oxford. Always remember that Universities mostly care about your HLs (and for Medicine, having Chemistry and Biology HL is all you will need, so don't fret).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.