ReputationRep:
    I'm probably doing Medicine/Dentistry and these are the subjects

Arabic HL
    English HL
    Bio HL

Business and Management SL
    Math Studies SL
    Chem SL

Does this have a massive amount of workload or an average one?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 3abbas)
    I'm probably doing Medicine/Dentistry and these are the subjects

Arabic HL
    English HL
    Bio HL

Business and Management SL
    Math Studies SL
    Chem SL

Does this have a massive amount of workload or an average one?
    This is a less than average workload. I would say that you've taken the chicken's way out with these subjects because some of them are outright jokes.

The only appropriate choice is taking Biology HL. Why would you possibly take two languages as your HL subjects when you want to eventually study Medicine? That makes no sense. I would suggest you drop either English or Arabic to SL and bring Chemistry to HL. Granted Chemistry HL is really challenging, but so is Medicine.

Also, is your native language Arabic? And if it is, are you taking Arabic B HL? If your native language is Arabic and you're taking Arabic B, many Universities across the world might not even recognise your credit in Arabic because a credit in your native language (especially when it's taken at a lower level) is not considered a great challenge at all. Changing that to an SL Ab Initio class might benefit you more.

Maths Studies is a joke! Any good University is going to reject your application the second they see the Maths Studies there. Even if you think you're not good at Maths or it's not one of your strengths, switch Studies to SL. It might be more challenging, but you rather do SL and be respected than do Studies and make yourself and your course out to be a joke.

Business and Management SL is the most useless Group 3 subject you could possibly take. People are only encouraged to take B&M when they are sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are going into Management of some sort after the IB, even then it is discouraged. Most Universities do not recognise a course taken in Business and indeed disregard it. In your case, you're already taking Studies and if Arabic is your native language and you're taking Arabic B, you're really setting yourself up to be screwed. I would suggest you drop B&M entirely because the class is a joke and anyone with a modicum of intelligence will tell you that that class is common sense and nothing more. Take History or Economics or even Psychology instead. Whatever else is offered for Group 3, take it over B&M.

Best of luck,
    Arrowhead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrowhead)
    This is a less than average workload. I would say that you've taken the chicken's way out with these subjects because some of them are outright jokes.

The only appropriate choice is taking Biology HL. Why would you possibly take two languages as your HL subjects when you want to eventually study Medicine? That makes no sense. I would suggest you drop either English or Arabic to SL and bring Chemistry to HL. Granted Chemistry HL is really challenging, but so is Medicine.

Also, is your native language Arabic? And if it is, are you taking Arabic B HL? If your native language is Arabic and you're taking Arabic B, many Universities across the world might not even recognise your credit in Arabic because a credit in your native language (especially when it's taken at a lower level) is not considered a great challenge at all. Changing that to an SL Ab Initio class might benefit you more.

Maths Studies is a joke! Any good University is going to reject your application the second they see the Maths Studies there. Even if you think you're not good at Maths or it's not one of your strengths, switch Studies to SL. It might be more challenging, but you rather do SL and be respected than do Studies and make yourself and your course out to be a joke.

Business and Management SL is the most useless Group 3 subject you could possibly take. People are only encouraged to take B&M when they are sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are going into Management of some sort after the IB, even then it is discouraged. Most Universities do not recognise a course taken in Business and indeed disregard it. In your case, you're already taking Studies and if Arabic is your native language and you're taking Arabic B, you're really setting yourself up to be screwed. I would suggest you drop B&M entirely because the class is a joke and anyone with a modicum of intelligence will tell you that that class is common sense and nothing more. Take History or Economics or even Psychology instead. Whatever else is offered for Group 3, take it over B&M.

Best of luck,
    Arrowhead.
    Thanks Arrowhead,

Arabic is my 2nd language I'm very fluent.

I shall consider what you said about Math Studies.

I would like t drop B & M for Psychology or economics but my school doesn't offer these classes.

ReputationRep:
    Just started IB, i wan't to go in direction of International Bussines. I chose these subjects :
    Higher:
    Economy
    Geography
    Maths
    Biology

Standard:
    English Lang and Lit
    French

I am not sure these subjects are a perfect fit for my future plans.
    What do you think?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Domi59)
    Just started IB, i wan't to go in direction of International Bussines. I chose these subjects :
    Higher:
    Economy
    Geography
    Maths
    Biology

Standard:
    English Lang and Lit
    French

I am not sure these subjects are a perfect fit for my future plans.
    What do you think?
    If I were you, I would swap Geography for History HL.

I would then drop Biology to SL because you do NOT need 4 HLs, ever.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of doing anything (preferably something to do with psychology):

HL:
    English Lang and Lit
    ITGS
    Biology

SL:
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Spanish AB Initio
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by xBlythe)
    Thinking of doing anything (preferably something to do with psychology):

HL:
    English Lang and Lit
    ITGS
    Biology

SL:
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Spanish AB Initio
    For Psychology-related anything, your subjects are a-okay. Don't worry so much.

ReputationRep:
    i take
    higher: Bio, Chem, Business
    standard: math, eng, french

well now, i took chem and i think it will be very difficult for me to understand and itll take too much effort if i take chem, so im thinking about taking art instead..

so if i take art, ill do standard art and make math higher..

say i wanna be a dermatologist (or any medicine courses) in uni, can i still do that course even without chemistry? because my teacher said its the points you get as a whole that counts and not too much on what subj you took.. is that true?

i really dont know what i wanna become..either something with business, i wanted to be a dermatologists but its like 10 yrs to be one so ye -.-
    please give me your thoughts and advice
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ysamer)
    i take
    higher: Bio, Chem, Business
    standard: math, eng, french

well now, i took chem and i think it will be very difficult for me to understand and itll take too much effort if i take chem, so im thinking about taking art instead..

so if i take art, ill do standard art and make math higher..

say i wanna be a dermatologist (or any medicine courses) in uni, can i still do that course even without chemistry? because my teacher said its the points you get as a whole that counts and not too much on what subj you took.. is that true?

i really dont know what i wanna become..either something with business, i wanted to be a dermatologists but its like 10 yrs to be one so ye -.-
    please give me your thoughts and advice
    First of all, even if you want to study Business at University, taking B&M at HL is discouraged by most reputed Universities. I would not advise you to pursue it for two reasons: The University perspective and the practical benefit perspective (or opportunity cost if you will).

University perspective:
    I checked out the prospectuses for all the top Unis in the UK before sending in my applications. Whether it was Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, or Imperial, Business Studies was always included in the 'non-preferred subjects' category. Universities clearly said that an A-Level in this course would not be considered when reviewing your application nor making you an offer. If you took more than one 'non-preferred subject' you were setting yourself up for instant disapproval from the tutors or relevant departments and there was a strong chance they wouldn't look twice at your application. For example, for some Universities: Business, Law, Computer Studies, Design and Technology, Accounting, Theatre etc. are non-preferred subjects. Taking one of these at HL, you could get away with it, maybe not at a top Uni, but you could. Taking two, you're done. Taking 2 non-preferred subjects at SL, you could get away with it, taking 1 at SL, nobody would look twice.

This is because as far as the UK is concerned, your HL subject choices matter the most, whatever you do for your SLs is ancillary and they just exist to boost your overall score. So if you take Business and Management at SL and the preferred subjects at HL, all would be well, but taking B&M at HL is instantly disqualifying what would be considered a possible A-Level subject grade.

Moving to the US, when I spoke to a representative from UPenn, she clearly told me that they would understand if a student took a Business class if he/she was interested and that was the only course offered in that subject area. But if an Economics course was also offered and they chose B&M instead, they would definitely question the student for their subject decisions because High School Business classes don't give you any foundation or perspective, high school classes at the end of the day, are merely introductory to the real stuff you will be pursuing at University. Most classes like History, Economics, Psychology (strictly referring to Social Sciences here) are giving you the bare minimum of information and testing that in your exams, it's about building a foundation which is to be made stronger and taller at University.

B&M gives you no suitable foundation, which brings me to my transition to Reason Number Two.

The practical benefit perspective:
    Economics gives you a basic idea of how the markets of the world function, from microeconomics to macroeconomics, to international and developmental, you cover everything in the most basic of forms. Business is a course that teaches you marketing, consumer tastes, and all that jazz about how to run a business. The thing is though that you cannot study hardcore theories and ideas and work and do all those things you will inevitably do at University when you're in High School, so your High School classes are designed to fit that stage of your life. The B&M course is all basic ideas and common sense since you can't get into the real nitty-gritty of it like you would at Business school in future. The class turns into a complete waste.

Most of my friends who took B&M HL and applied abroad faced an endless amount of grief because of it. It was universally frowned upon. They took it anticipating an easy grade, which it was (the average for B&M at my old school was a 6.~something). One of them went so far as to say that someone with half a brain could scrape a 5 in B&M HL. The only Unis that didn't seem to look twice at it were the really shoddy, money-minded ones like Kingston and Richmond and Middlesex.

So that's my reasoning, I've heard many sides of this argument and this is what I propose: do not take B&M at HL. If you disagree with me, that's cool, that's your opinion and you're free to have it.

Now, to get off my soapbox and revert back to your queries: not having Chemistry HL for a Medicine application will hurt you at University. I don't know where your teacher gets her information, but as far as the UK is concerned, your HL subject choices (your SLs could be utter rubbish for all that the Unis care) do matter, quite a bit, for certain courses like Medicine, Economics, etc. Also, switching Chemistry HL for Maths HL in the hopes that it will reduce your workload is laughable. Unless you're some kind of Maths enthusiast/genius, Maths HL is not an easy substitution for Chemistry HL, in fact it is arguably more challenging. So really think on that and try to find more perspectives on those two HLs before making a final decision.

Also Art will not help you, neither for Business nor Medicine. Taking Art is just such a random choice. Two of my friends took Visual Arts at HL and for both of them it was a decision they came to after deep contemplation. One knew she wanted to go and study Art at University and the other is doing Fashion Management at the London School of Fashion. Art, in their cases, was beneficial for what they wished to pursue. It is not so for you, so really think twice about that one. Also Visual Arts is one of the most time consuming subjects in the IB (if you want a high grade in it of course).

Cheers,
    Arrowhead.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    First of all, even if you want to study Business at University, taking B&M at HL is discouraged by most reputed Universities. I would not advise you to pursue it for two reasons: The University perspective and the practical benefit perspective (or opportunity cost if you will).

University perspective:
    I checked out the prospectuses for all the top Unis in the UK before sending in my applications. Whether it was Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, or Imperial, Business Studies was always included in the 'non-preferred subjects' category. Universities clearly said that an A-Level in this course would not be considered when reviewing your application nor making you an offer. If you took more than one 'non-preferred subject' you were setting yourself up for instant disapproval from the tutors or relevant departments and there was a strong chance they wouldn't look twice at your application. For example, for some Universities: Business, Law, Computer Studies, Design and Technology, Accounting, Theatre etc. are non-preferred subjects. Taking one of these at HL, you could get away with it, maybe not at a top Uni, but you could. Taking two, you're done. Taking 2 non-preferred subjects at SL, you could get away with it, taking 1 at SL, nobody would look twice.

This is because as far as the UK is concerned, your HL subject choices matter the most, whatever you do for your SLs is ancillary and they just exist to boost your overall score. So if you take Business and Management at SL and the preferred subjects at HL, all would be well, but taking B&M at HL is instantly disqualifying what would be considered a possible A-Level subject grade.

Moving to the US, when I spoke to a representative from UPenn, she clearly told me that they would understand if a student took a Business class if he/she was interested and that was the only course offered in that subject area. But if an Economics course was also offered and they chose B&M instead, they would definitely question the student for their subject decisions because High School Business classes don't give you any foundation or perspective, high school classes at the end of the day, are merely introductory to the real stuff you will be pursuing at University. Most classes like History, Economics, Psychology (strictly referring to Social Sciences here) are giving you the bare minimum of information and testing that in your exams, it's about building a foundation which is to be made stronger and taller at University.

B&M gives you no suitable foundation, which brings me to my transition to Reason Number Two.

The practical benefit perspective:
    Economics gives you a basic idea of how the markets of the world function, from microeconomics to macroeconomics, to international and developmental, you cover everything in the most basic of forms. Business is a course that teaches you marketing, consumer tastes, and all that jazz about how to run a business. The thing is though that you cannot study hardcore theories and ideas and work and do all those things you will inevitably do at University when you're in High School, so your High School classes are designed to fit that stage of your life. The B&M course is all basic ideas and common sense since you can't get into the real nitty-gritty of it like you would at Business school in future. The class turns into a complete waste.

Most of my friends who took B&M HL and applied abroad faced an endless amount of grief because of it. It was universally frowned upon. They took it anticipating an easy grade, which it was (the average for B&M at my old school was a 6.~something). One of them went so far as to say that someone with half a brain could scrape a 5 in B&M HL. The only Unis that didn't seem to look twice at it were the really shoddy, money-minded ones like Kingston and Richmond and Middlesex.

So that's my reasoning, I've heard many sides of this argument and this is what I propose: do not take B&M at HL. If you disagree with me, that's cool, that's your opinion and you're free to have it.

Now, to get off my soapbox and revert back to your queries: not having Chemistry HL for a Medicine application will hurt you at University. I don't know where your teacher gets her information, but as far as the UK is concerned, your HL subject choices (your SLs could be utter rubbish for all that the Unis care) do matter, quite a bit, for certain courses like Medicine, Economics, etc. Also, switching Chemistry HL for Maths HL in the hopes that it will reduce your workload is laughable. Unless you're some kind of Maths enthusiast/genius, Maths HL is not an easy substitution for Chemistry HL, in fact it is arguably more challenging. So really think on that and try to find more perspectives on those two HLs before making a final decision.

Also Art will not help you, neither for Business nor Medicine. Taking Art is just such a random choice. Two of my friends took Visual Arts at HL and for both of them it was a decision they came to after deep contemplation. One knew she wanted to go and study Art at University and the other is doing Fashion Management at the London School of Fashion. Art, in their cases, was beneficial for what they wished to pursue. It is not so for you, so really think twice about that one. Also Visual Arts is one of the most time consuming subjects in the IB (if you want a high grade in it of course).

Cheers,
    Arrowhead.
    Most of what you said is true but thought I would point out that - Oxford doesn't maintain a 'non-preferred subjects' category officially and unofficially. They care a lot more about academic potential and interest in the subject you wish to pursue rather than subject choices. In fact Cambridge as a university doesn't have an official list either - it's only Trinity College that publishes one.

Second thing I don't agree with is your sweeping statement that it gives you no suitable foundation. I took both Econ and B&M at HL and they were vastly different subjects. I would say it's easier to get a decent grade in B&M than Econ but it's harder to get a 7 in B&M. A 7 in Econ is really quite straightforward. B&M can be quite a handful in some parts - it uses a ton of theories and models (A LOT more than Econ) so there's quite a bit of memorising too. Having said that, you're spot on - universities do frown upon it (for whatever reason, it beats me) both in the UK and the US so it's best not taken if Econ is an option available.

Sorry, just had to voice my opinion on those statements everything else I definitely agree to and advertise to applicants.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by rohitronaldo)
    Most of what you said is true but thought I would point out that - Oxford doesn't maintain a 'non-preferred subjects' category officially and unofficially. They care a lot more about academic potential and interest in the subject you wish to pursue rather than subject choices. In fact Cambridge as a university doesn't have an official list either - it's only Trinity College that publishes one.
    I stand corrected in that case. Let me amend that statement to:
    (Original post by Arrowhead)
    ...Whether it was Oxford, Cambridge, LSE or Imperial, Business Studies was always included in the 'non-preferred subjects' category...
    Second thing I don't agree with is your sweeping statement that it gives you no suitable foundation. I took both Econ and B&M at HL and they were vastly different subjects. I would say it's easier to get a decent grade in B&M than Econ but it's harder to get a 7 in B&M. A 7 in Econ is really quite straightforward. B&M can be quite a handful in some parts - it uses a ton of theories and models (A LOT more than Econ) so there's quite a bit of memorising too. Having said that, you're spot on - universities do frown upon it (for whatever reason, it beats me) both in the UK and the US so it's best not taken if Econ is an option available.
    I cannot argue with you about the comparison between Economics and Business as thoroughly as I would like to since I never pursued Business when in the IB. However, a number of my friends went down the same route as you and took both Economics and Business at HL. Across the board, I got to hear from them how painfully simple B&M was. Perhaps there is a lot of memorisation and more theories and what-not, but I find it hard to believe that it was that challenging when you have admitted that achieving a higher grade (though not necessarily a 7, but I am not completely convinced of this as well) is much easier with B&M than with Economics.

From the statistics that I have seen in my own school, I had a friend who was in B&M HL and in my Economics HL class as well. He would fly through with a consistent 6 in B&M (and eventually got a 6 as well), while he struggled to get a 5 in Economics HL (and ended up scraping a 5 in the IB exams with a lot of hard work).

The teachers were equally good and favoured for both classes, yet the statistics showed that the average in Economics HL was a 5.0~something and that for B&M went up to a 6.~something. Also, we would have a staggering percentage (5 or 6 of 17) of HL students in my batch (if I remember correctly) get 7s in B&M HL at my old school; while only a relative minority would achieve the same with Economics HL (I was one of 3 who got 7s in Economics HL that year out of four HL classes totalling to about 40-45 students). A 6.67% grade 7 rate for Economics HL versus a 29-35% grade 7 rate for B&M HL.

Sorry, just had to voice my opinion on those statements everything else I definitely agree to and advertise to applicants.
    That's cool, like I said before, I have an opinion and I will voice it; and you are completely free and entitled to do the same.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I stand corrected in that case. Let me amend that statement to:

I cannot argue with you about the comparison between Economics and Business as thoroughly as I would like to since I never pursued Business when in the IB. However, a number of my friends went down the same route as you and took both Economics and Business at HL. Across the board, I got to hear from them how painfully simple B&M was. Perhaps there is a lot of memorisation and more theories and what-not, but I find it hard to believe that it was that challenging when you have admitted that achieving a higher grade (though not necessarily a 7, but I am not completely convinced of this as well) is much easier with B&M than with Economics.

From the statistics that I have seen in my own school, I had a friend who was in B&M HL and in my Economics HL class as well. He would fly through with a consistent 6 in B&M (and eventually got a 6 as well), while he struggled to get a 5 in Economics HL (and ended up scraping a 5 in the IB exams with a lot of hard work).

The teachers were equally good and favoured for both classes, yet the statistics showed that the average in Economics HL was a 5.0~something and that for B&M went up to a 6.~something. Also, we would have a staggering percentage (5 or 6 of 17) of HL students in my batch (if I remember correctly) get 7s in B&M HL at my old school; while only a relative minority would achieve the same with Economics HL (I was one of 3 who got 7s in Economics HL that year out of four HL classes totalling to about 40-45 students). A 6.67% grade 7 rate for Economics HL versus a 29-35% grade 7 rate for B&M HL.

That's cool, like I said before, I have an opinion and I will voice it; and you are completely free and entitled to do the same.
    http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulleti...albulletin.pdf

Page 32 of that. B&M HL Mean grade: 4.63, Economics HL Mean grade: 5.08

It's possible that on average the smarter kids take Econ HL. Let me reword my earlier statement too: It's much harder to get a 7 in B&M than Econ simply because it's a lot more subjective - both the marking criteria and the questions. And similarly if I took my school statistics: 11 of us got 7s in a total school strength of 40 taking Econ HL while only 5 of us got 7s in B&M when there were nearly 80 of us enrolled in it.

I will admit though my Econ class had a lot of people (including me) taking HL Math so on average we were a much smarter bunch than my Business class. Somehow my subject choice still got me into Oxford but I might be a lucky anomaly in that (did get rejected by LSE solely because of it too). Oh btw you'll be mighty surprised at how deep IB B&M actually goes with regards to accounting and finance. I can read my dad's company's financial statements and make sense of all of it just through 2 years of B&M. Definitely do respect the IB for that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks arrowhead and rohitronaldo for the advice and i i will consider all the things you guys said. by the way, i read about this guy who takes math studies SL and you said that it was a joke and makes himself uncompetitive. well now i'm worried since our school's ib coordinator put me in maths studies SL even when i asked her to move me atleast to math standards and she didnt because apparently it was "full" (ps i got an A on my gcses higher). now im worried about my diploma being uncompetitive -.-

and btw..they said that taking two HL sciences is extremely hard..and i was in chem class today and it was hard and really, how hard is chemistry?
    so can you advice me about these subject choices.

higher : bio math(studies or standard, wherever my teacher "allows" me to go to) & business (i think im gonna stick with this since the school only offers history and geo)
    standard: eng, french and chem

sorry for asking too much.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If your teacher tells you that you can't enter the Standard class for Maths, not because your grades are lacking, but because the class is apparently "full," tell her you will sue the school and you have the right to do so because she is misguiding and misleading you as an educator.

Maths Studies is a joke of a class and that is universally attested. There are always those group of students who are either a) too lazy or b) genuinely horrid at Maths and cannot cope with it to save their skins. Maths Studies is designed for them. It is most definitely not designed for students who get As in their GCSEs, you could easily manage Maths SL.

In the US, if you have a Studies credit, they make you take loads of classes (in some Universities up to 3-4 semester's worth of Maths) to catch up. In the UK, while your SL subject choices don't make as much of a difference, it's safe to say that if your preferred University had to come down to a decision between picking you and picking another student with a similar prediction for the same course, but that other had Maths SL while you had Studies, rest assured, you will be rejected.

For certain courses in the UK, the SL or Studies class doesn't make any difference: these are generally the Arts courses. For Engineering, even Medicine, or anything Science-related really, SL Maths is expected at the very least, even at the lower-tier Universities. Even for some Social Studies courses, top Unis expect you to take SL Maths (or HL for Economics and Accounting and Finance). When I applied for Law, King's wanted me to get a 5 in SL Maths as part of my offer and Warwick wanted me to get a 4. Maths has nothing to do with Law, yet it was in the offer alongside an English requirement. I don't understand why, but it matters.

You tell your Coordinator that he/she is screwing with your future by putting you in Studies when you can clearly handle the workload in SL and denying you that opportunity due to "scheduling" issues simply displays his/her ineptitude as an administrator in meeting the academic needs of students, which is why you're paying the effing fees.

Honestly, putting a perfectly capable student in Studies because the class is full...the nerve of some people.

Stick with Business if you want to, but make sure you get out of Studies!

Chemistry HL is widely regarded as one of the most difficult IB subjects, right under Maths and Physics HL. It is really, really hard. There's nothing more to it, you have to work in that class and constantly keep up and the lab work is pretty intense, but you have to push through with it.

Having two HL Sciences is an uphill battle, but it isn't impossible. Thousands of students the world over take two HL Sciences along with Maths HL every year and many of them succeed and do exceedingly well in the diploma. Don't let the challenge deter you, relish it, because if you don't relish it, you will cry, a lot.

Honestly, if you're keeping B&M, bring it down to SL, that's the only advice I will give you on that front, the rest is up to you.

Arrowhead.

ReputationRep:
    Currently I am about to study Economics, History and Maths at Higher Level and English, French and Chemistry at Standard Level in IB in the hope to study PPE at university.
    However, I have been given a final opportunity to change my subjects and I was thinking about changing to make it more science orientated to keep science subjects as an option for Uni.
    Do you think that having an option setup such as Maths, History and Chemistry at HL and French, English and Biology at SL would harm my chances of securing a place to study PPE at a top university. For example, Oxford mention that it is not necessary to have studied either Politcs, Philosophy or Economics; only Higher Level Maths. However, would I need a reason not to have studied Economics and chosen Science subjects instead?
    Any help (particularly from PPE students) would be greatly valued! Thankyou in advance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by warndog)
    Currently I am about to study Economics, History and Maths at Higher Level and English, French and Chemistry at Standard Level in IB in the hope to study PPE at university.
    However, I have been given a final opportunity to change my subjects and I was thinking about changing to make it more science orientated to keep science subjects as an option for Uni.
    Do you think that having an option setup such as Maths, History and Chemistry at HL and French, English and Biology at SL would harm my chances of securing a place to study PPE at a top university. For example, Oxford mention that it is not necessary to have studied either Politcs, Philosophy or Economics; only Higher Level Maths. However, would I need a reason not to have studied Economics and chosen Science subjects instead?
    Any help (particularly from PPE students) would be greatly valued! Thankyou in advance.
    I'm quite sure that they don't require HL Math for PPE although it would be valued highly.

ReputationRep:
    I apologise I'm aware of that, but I know I'm taking maths anyway. I'm sking about whether to drop Economics and how useful it is for getting in to study PPE.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by warndog)
    I apologise I'm aware of that, but I know I'm taking maths anyway. I'm sking about whether to drop Economics and how useful it is for getting in to study PPE.
    I don't think it will hinder your chances but having studied Economics will definitely help you with your Econ interview. If you're able to follow economic issues in the world and maintain your interest in it without taking it as a subject in the IB then go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    thanks again arrowhead. i have considered all your advices and came up with these subjects
    higher: bio, english and , math standards (hopefully)
    standard: b&m, french and chem
    whew.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ysamer)
    thanks again arrowhead. i have considered all your advices and came up with these subjects
    higher: bio, english and , math standards (hopefully)
    standard: b&m, french and chem
    whew.
    Wait so you listed Maths Standards with your higher, then it's no longer Standard, it's Higher Level Maths, which is radically different and regarded as one of the toughest (if not the toughest) IB subject.

And if you are taking Maths SL (hopefully), you only have 2 highers, which doesn't qualify you for the diploma...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.