Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i want to do medicine and most universities want some degree of maths.
    my school has either got HL or maths studies. they do NOT have SL.

i currently do studies. i realise this may not be enough to get into med school but i honestly feel i couldnt handle maths HL on a whim. i could probably manage if it was my last resort but i dont want to have to do it if it is not necessary.

any advice? my deadline for switching subjects is next week so if there is any advice to be given i need it pretty soon!!!

ReputationRep:
    Btw what is IB? I knew someone at uni who did this and was a little snobbish about it. I'm guessing its supposed to be harder than a-level?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by El Mexicano)
    i want to do medicine and most universities want some degree of maths.
    my school has either got HL or maths studies. they do NOT have SL.

i currently do studies. i realise this may not be enough to get into med school but i honestly feel i couldnt handle maths HL on a whim. i could probably manage if it was my last resort but i dont want to have to do it if it is not necessary.
    Honestly, it's disgusting your school doesn't offer your SL Maths, they are doing you a disservice and I would suggest you switch to another IB school. However, if you are aiming for Medicine and want to be taken seriously by Med Schools, then you better switch to Higher Level Maths. Think of it as preparing yourself for Med School toughness because Maths HL is very cumbersome, but so will Med School be.

(Original post by deltabomber)
    Btw what is IB? I knew someone at uni who did this and was a little snobbish about it. I'm guessing its supposed to be harder than a-level?
    Definitely I would say that the IB is much harder than the A-Levels. However, I would also say that people who are sure that they want to pursue their University education in the UK and are sure which course (or general field) they're interested in, should never go for the IB.

But for more of a history lesson this is from wikipedia: The IB...[was]...officially established...for the development and maintenance of the Diploma Programme which would "provide an internationally acceptable university admissions qualification suitable for the growing mobile population of young people whose parents were part of the world of diplomacy, international and multi-national organisations."

It was basically an international system devised for kids whose parents kept moving around (generally diplomatic work), and now is the system most preferred by students who want to study out of their own countries.

Read this for a more detailed idea of what it entails.

Cheers,
    Arrowhead.

ReputationRep:
    i have brought it up with my school and i have asked them why they do not have SL. they say that the do not have the staff nor the time to teach Maths Studies, HL AND SL. i cant move eiter becuase the next closest IB school is 40 miles away

although i have been trying to get into contact woth some universitys asking if i can get in with just Studies. UCL replied and said that the ony maths they require is a minimum B at GCSE. no oher uni has responded yet....

also the director of 6th form in my school says that although officially i need some maths on the website, maths is not strictly necessary and that each university cannot discriminate agianst me because it is not my fault the school did not offer SL.

i dont know how true this is but she also says that she has personally put 3 students into med school in oxford and cambridge and that none of those 3 had any higher maths at all.

have my chances improved? or is it really impossible to know?

ReputationRep:
    and when i say she put in 3 without higher maths i mean she put them in without ANY maths after GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm about to choose my IB subjects. Although I'm not completely sure, I think that I want to pursue a career doing something like law, economics or another social science. Here is what I've chosen so far:

HL
    English (Language/Literature)
    Economics
    Biology

SL
    Maths
    Chinese B

Now for my last standard level subject, I want to study either philosophy or psychology. Which one would be better and why? I'm currently more swayed to the psychology side although I'm really stuck. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    if you want to go along the social science route i believe you should go with psychology and maybe even consider it for a higher level subject
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Your subjects are fine. But if you are serious of keeping Economics open as an option, then maybe you should consider Maths HL as well. Most of the good Unis require you to have Maths HL when applying for Economics courses (they actually don't need you to have Economics, just Maths).

For Law, English HL is all that is really important.

Between Psychology and Philosophy, I would say Psychology, because you will be doing an "Intro to Philosophy" anyway when you do ToK, so it becomes a bit of an overkill in that respect. But go for it if it interests you more.

Cheers,
    Arrowhead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrowhead)
    Your subjects are fine. But if you are serious of keeping Economics open as an option, then maybe you should consider Maths HL as well. Most of the good Unis require you to have Maths HL when applying for Economics courses (they actually don't need you to have Economics, just Maths).

For Law, English HL is all that is really important.

Between Psychology and Philosophy, I would say Psychology, because you will be doing an "Intro to Philosophy" anyway when you do ToK, so it becomes a bit of an overkill in that respect. But go for it if it interests you more.

Cheers,
    Arrowhead.
    Okay, thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to take psychology.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Law (preferably at a Higher Level university)

HL
    A1 English <-Compulsory at my college
    History
    Economics

SL
    Biology
    Chinease ab initio
    Math studies <-Compulsory at my college

Would these be reasonable subjects to get into a higher level university?

I also considering Philosophy over Economics (for another essay writing)
    But I heard that Economics would be better as it is more traditional.
    aLSO THAT Philosophy is a 'soft' subject and repetitive of ToK.
    So would it be better to stick with Economics?
    Or would a third essay writing at HL be overkill?

I also am considering taking Biology HL instead of SL as a fourth subject.
    (I could always drop down to four if I had to)
    As I am confident I could pass well with it as HL.
    But I heard that sciences are useless for Law as they do not count towards essay writing.
    So would taking Biology at HL have no benefit to me at all?

I most likely already know the answer-
    But subject such as Visual Arts and Music will not help at all towards Law even with high points? (Someone said they did as long as you scored highly in them)

Quote me please. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Argent-chan)

HL
    History
    Economics

SL
    Biology
    Chinease ab initio

I'm neither a law applicant nor law student, but I think your current combination is good. I would definitely keep economics. IB econ is fairly essay-based (or at least commentary-based) and looks impressive when it really isn't very difficult. I imagine most law applicants have history & english HL, and from what I've seen, many successful ones have econ HL too.
    I think what you said about sciences being useless for law is completely untrue though, and you could do one at HL instead of econ if you wanted to. Bio HL would take up a fair amount of time, along with history HL (eng HL and econ HL not as much).
    I can't really advise you on philosphy as I don't know what the course entails. It sounds relevant to law, but I wouldn't substitute econ for it.
    Btw, what do you mean Math Studies is compulsory If you can, take it to at least SL: it would look so much better (additionally, HL would look very impressive, even for law). I honestly think your maths component is the only weak link in an otherwise strong set of subjects.
    Oh and unless you have a real passion for music/art, I'd stick with what you've listed. From what I've heard, there is a greater risk involved in taking those subjects due to unexpected grade fluctuations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigeon93)
    I'm neither a law applicant nor law student, but I think your current combination is good. I would definitely keep economics. IB econ is fairly essay-based (or at least commentary-based) and looks impressive when it really isn't very difficult. I imagine most law applicants have history & english HL, and from what I've seen, many successful ones have econ HL too.
    I think what you said about sciences being useless for law is completely untrue though, and you could do one at HL instead of econ if you wanted to. Bio HL would take up a fair amount of time, along with history HL (eng HL and econ HL not as much).
    I can't really advise you on philosphy as I don't know what the course entails. It sounds relevant to law, but I wouldn't substitute econ for it.
    Btw, what do you mean Math Studies is compulsory If you can, take it to at least SL: it would look so much better (additionally, HL would look very impressive, even for law). I honestly think your maths component is the only weak link in an otherwise strong set of subjects.
    Oh and unless you have a real passion for music/art, I'd stick with what you've listed. From what I've heard, there is a greater risk involved in taking those subjects due to unexpected grade fluctuations.
    Thank you for responding.
    As in, we literally have to take Maths Studies. Only that at SL... English HL is also compulsory. Although I don't mind it for English. I am glad that my subjects so far look good! I could always take Higher Biology and drop down if it is too much... I looked at the Syllabus and it is exactly the same except the extra topics you do at the end. So it doesn't seem like I would lose out if I did try it, does that sound right to you?

Here is the course pages from the college about the course content, it seems to ready that you do not have choice over the Maths Studies. (Given the choice, i'd rather swap it for something else!) Might this be something to bring up with the course tutor if it works against me...?

http://www.brock.ac.uk/course/6CIB/c...orm.qfn:30_ib/
    http://www.brock.ac.uk/course/6CIB/c...orm.qfn:30_ib/
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

HL
    History
    Economics

SL
    Biology
    Chinease ab initio

I also am considering taking Biology HL instead of SL as a fourth subject.
    (I could always drop down to four if I had to)
    As I am confident I could pass well with it as HL.
    But I heard that sciences are useless for Law as they do not count towards essay writing.
    So would taking Biology at HL have no benefit to me at all?

I most likely already know the answer-
    But subject such as Visual Arts and Music will not help at all towards Law even with high points? (Someone said they did as long as you scored highly in them)

I'm currently studying Law at the London School of Economics and I had also received an interview from Oxford, so I guess I could help you out.

Your HL subject combination is exactly the same as mine. I dunno if that is good or bad, but this combination did work for me rather well.

Furthermore, the subjects most sought after (but never essentially, simply advised) are English A1 HL and to a lesser extent History HL for Law. Economics, as you mentioned, would be a good companion essay-writing class to pursue and better than Philosophy not because of a ToK overlap, but because it is much easier to score a 7 in Economics HL than in Philosophy HL and you need to keep in mind that a top University requires you to get a 38 at a minimum for Law.

Taking 4 subjects at HL is always unnecessary especially considering you know exactly what you want to pursue at University. You will not get any special attention nor mention for taking 4 HLs, you will however have monumental headaches and just that extra amount of work because of 4 HLs. So keep Biology at SL because, again, as you stated, Sciences for a Law application are not ubiquitous (at least in the UK).

I do think that Maths Studies would have ordinarily harmed you to some extent, however, you are a Law applicant and Maths is not vital to your education. Furthermore, you don't have a choice because your school is not giving you that choice, which is something that is beyond your control. No top Uni will hold you accountable for that.

If you have any further questions about Law at UK Unis, or the application process or some such, feel free to PM, I'll get back to you...eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Well, when it comes to philosophy and TOK, in my experience it's more or less the opposite, in that TOK is basically a highly watered down version of the philosophy course. It may depend on your school and teacher, but I don't think that the philosophy course really repeats that much of the TOK course, since it goes quite far beyond it. The thing about philosophy is that the essay marking is more subjective than in most of the other courses, and even if you're good at English essays you may not entirely get how the philosophy marking works. It's more a matter of style than content, in some ways; that is, figuring out what philosophy markers like to see. This actually makes it quite different from English essays, or even TOK essays (which have fairly specific criterion). In addition, sine most students will have memorized the same arguments and such, they can't really use that as an ultimate criterion for grades (which is not the case for English essays, which are primarily a matter of content, since there's more variation, as well as unseen texts and so on). Still, when making the decision, it's probably worth taking into account the teacher or teachers who may be involved, since the experience of the course will probably depend upon them to a large extent. To be honest, you're probably not going to learn that much philosophy from a high school course, but it can give you some grounding on philosophy, which will be useful if you wish to pursue the subject in your own time.

However, yes, if you need high grades, Econs would definitely be a better option. Philosophy is useful a) when you're interested in it and as such wouldn't mind writing about it for a couple of years, or b) when you want to do it for university, or think it'll look good on an application for a subject you're planning to apply to. I'm not sure how much philosophy would help you in law, although theoretically it probably could, so that may be worth asking around about. Philosophy's not really a soft course per se, although in terms of exams it can be pretty soft, in the sense that you generally don't have to improvise much (God knows it must be painful to mark IB Philosophy papers.).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrowhead)
    I'm currently studying Law at the London School of Economics and I had also received an interview from Oxford, so I guess I could help you out.

Your HL subject combination is exactly the same as mine. I dunno if that is good or bad, but this combination did work for me rather well.

Furthermore, the subjects most sought after (but never essentially, simply advised) are English A1 HL and to a lesser extent History HL for Law. Economics, as you mentioned, would be a good companion essay-writing class to pursue and better than Philosophy not because of a ToK overlap, but because it is much easier to score a 7 in Economics HL than in Philosophy HL and you need to keep in mind that a top University requires you to get a 38 at a minimum for Law.

Taking 4 subjects at HL is always unnecessary especially considering you know exactly what you want to pursue at University. You will not get any special attention nor mention for taking 4 HLs, you will however have monumental headaches and just that extra amount of work because of 4 HLs. So keep Biology at SL because, again, as you stated, Sciences for a Law application are not ubiquitous (at least in the UK).

I do think that Maths Studies would have ordinarily harmed you to some extent, however, you are a Law applicant and Maths is not vital to your education. Furthermore, you don't have a choice because your school is not giving you that choice, which is something that is beyond your control. No top Uni will hold you accountable for that.

If you have any further questions about Law at UK Unis, or the application process or some such, feel free to PM, I'll get back to you...eventually.
    Thank you for getting back to me

You pretty much answered the science question for me- You have a very good point about the Economics. I am concerned though as I had a flick through revision materials and I found it quite hard to understand. (Lots of diagrams and such) Should this concern me? Or is it something you have to be taught to understand?

And how would I go about showing that Maths Studies was compulsory for me to take so that they won't use it against me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuo_corso)
    Well, when it comes to philosophy and TOK, in my experience it's more or less the opposite, in that TOK is basically a highly watered down version of the philosophy course. It may depend on your school and teacher, but I don't think that the philosophy course really repeats that much of the TOK course, since it goes quite far beyond it. The thing about philosophy is that the essay marking is more subjective than in most of the other courses, and even if you're good at English essays you may not entirely get how the philosophy marking works. It's more a matter of style than content, in some ways; that is, figuring out what philosophy markers like to see. This actually makes it quite different from English essays, or even TOK essays (which have fairly specific criterion). In addition, sine most students will have memorized the same arguments and such, they can't really use that as an ultimate criterion for grades (which is not the case for English essays, which are primarily a matter of content, since there's more variation, as well as unseen texts and so on). Still, when making the decision, it's probably worth taking into account the teacher or teachers who may be involved, since the experience of the course will probably depend upon them to a large extent. To be honest, you're probably not going to learn that much philosophy from a high school course, but it can give you some grounding on philosophy, which will be useful if you wish to pursue the subject in your own time.

However, yes, if you need high grades, Econs would definitely be a better option. Philosophy is useful a) when you're interested in it and as such wouldn't mind writing about it for a couple of years, or b) when you want to do it for university, or think it'll look good on an application for a subject you're planning to apply to. I'm not sure how much philosophy would help you in law, although theoretically it probably could, so that may be worth asking around about. Philosophy's not really a soft course per se, although in terms of exams it can be pretty soft, in the sense that you generally don't have to improvise much (God knows it must be painful to mark IB Philosophy papers.).
    Thank you for getting back to me!

I have an open day coming up, so will definitely be worth asking around in that case- I don't really want to take Philosophy unless it would really give me an advantage. (I think with the Tok, EE, English and History I will have enough of essays!) But if it does give me an advantage, I will definitely consider it! It really does depend if it helps Law Applicants or not and if it is more ultimately advantageous to me than choosing Economics.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thank you for getting back to me

You pretty much answered the science question for me- You have a very good point about the Economics. I am concerned though as I had a flick through revision materials and I found it quite hard to understand. (Lots of diagrams and such) Should this concern me? Or is it something you have to be taught to understand?

And how would I go about showing that Maths Studies was compulsory for me to take so that they won't use it against me?
    The IB is a two-year course, of course you don't understand anything from the revision guide yet. You have yet to be taught anything substantial. Economics is something that once you understand the basics, the rest becomes super easy and a little repetitive. The first module in Economics is a simple introduction because the basics are that important. Just hold you horses, I didn't understand anything from the revision guide until a month before the exams when everything started to come together. But seriously, you won't get anything's "bigger picture" until you cover the basics, Microeconomics, and Macroeconomics, which is generally completed in its entirety towards the end of Year 1 in the IB.

They won't use it against you if you make it a small mention in your PS I guess? I dunno, I've just heard many a representative say that. Maybe call them up before your application is sent to make enquiries and then after to clarify so that they keep in mind that it wasn't you being lazy or stupid but your school not providing you with the option.

ReputationRep:
    All ibdp students that have finished their diploma , can you please tell me through messages as i really need your help concerning something related t your grades ??
    Thank you , please never ignore )

ReputationRep:
    Can you help me please?
    I want to learn Accounting & Finance in LSE, and I have two plans for my IB courses selecting

A:
    HL Math
    HL Physics
    HL Chemistry
    SL German B
    SL English A1
    SL Economics

B:
    HL Math
    HL Economics
    HL Chemistry
    SL German B
    SL English A1
    SL Physics

I checked on UCAS and I found out that LSE does not require specific courses, but I am thinking about which is more useful for my college life, HL Econ or HL Physics. Probably Economics, but I am extremely good at Math and all sciences, it is highly possible for me to get a 7 in Physics. However, if I want to take HL Econ, I can only drop Physics to SL because of the schedule in my school.

Which one do you think is the best choice for me? About grades and usefulness. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    i do

HL English
    HL History
    HL Geography
    SL Mathematical Studies
    SL French
    SL Biology, though I wish I'd done SL Chemistry.

However on hindsight, I would have done

HL History
    HL Chemistry
    HL Biology
    SL Mathematics
    SL Mandarin ab initio
    SL English

because I don't know If I want to do law and I should have kept my options open for a sciencey, well medical, degree

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.