Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalldunkey)
    Can you help me please?
    I want to learn Accounting & Finance in LSE, and I have two plans for my IB courses selecting

A:
    HL Math
    HL Physics
    HL Chemistry
    SL German B
    SL English A1
    SL Economics

B:
    HL Math
    HL Economics
    HL Chemistry
    SL German B
    SL English A1
    SL Physics

I checked on UCAS and I found out that LSE does not require specific courses, but I am thinking about which is more useful for my college life, HL Econ or HL Physics. Probably Economics, but I am extremely good at Math and all sciences, it is highly possible for me to get a 7 in Physics. However, if I want to take HL Econ, I can only drop Physics to SL because of the schedule in my school.

Which one do you think is the best choice for me? About grades and usefulness. Thank you!
    I'd keep Physics HL because Economics HL (or SL) isn't essential, and Physics HL will always look impressive. Honestly, pick whichever you think you'd enjoy the most or do best in.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm about to start the IB in the new year, and I need help deciding subjects...

Currently thinking:

HL:
    English (definite)
    Music (definite)
    Physics (equivocal)
    History Route 2 (hm...)

SL:
    Italian ab initio (definite)
    Maths (definite)

The problems lie in the HLs.

1) HISTORY! - Will I be able to cope if I don't have a good memory? Many people say that the joy political analysis is compromised by pressure to memorise whole textbooks of information.

I'm good at memorising things with a logical flow of events, and things with causal relationships. I'm okay essay writing - not brilliant - especially not when pressured for time (ie. in IB exams!) but I think if I practise I can improve.

Also, all my friends already have grounding in the various subjects - from family background, pre-learning, etc... if I don't attempt to get ahead with memorising some of the content over these holidays, will I be left behind?!

2) PHYSICS! - I know this is a really hard HL. But I love physics - I love it when I suddenly understand concepts... and the world seems different...

But what level of maths is needed? Do you have to be really good at maths? I'm just okay. What if you're that slightly "slow" person who catches on to concepts a few minutes after everybody else, or doesn't understand it at all but is afraid to ask for more explanation, because it'll slow the class down?

I have good reasoning skills, but sometimes just feel brain-dead when the teacher explains things out of a textbook...

I have to decide which one I'm going to drop after two weeks of each. They both seem hard, but I guess what I'm asking is - "What's it like?!" Which one seems more suited to me? If you can tell from what I've written?

Another option would be to drop physics to SL and take a "softer" social science for HL - eg. Eco, which is apparently easier than hist. But I am less interested in eco - only faintly interested.

Any advice on what its like to take these HL's would be appreciated! I want to choose carefully because the Highers are what Unis look at. I'm also really open to which uni course I want to do - I have wide ranging interests...

Also... with my current subject choice, would I be able to fit in 2 hours of practice on the violin everyday in Yr 11 at least???

Wow... long rant... if you guys read the whole thing, congrats. And thanks so much in advance... any advice is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kog51)
    Hi! I'm about to start the IB in the new year, and I need help deciding subjects...

Currently thinking:

HL:
    English (definite)
    Music (definite)
    Physics (equivocal)
    History Route 2 (hm...)

SL:
    Italian ab initio (definite)
    Maths (definite)

The problems lie in the HLs.

1) HISTORY! - Will I be able to cope if I don't have a good memory? Many people say that the joy political analysis is compromised by pressure to memorise whole textbooks of information.

I'm good at memorising things with a logical flow of events, and things with causal relationships. I'm okay essay writing - not brilliant - especially not when pressured for time (ie. in IB exams!) but I think if I practise I can improve.

Also, all my friends already have grounding in the various subjects - from family background, pre-learning, etc... if I don't attempt to get ahead with memorising some of the content over these holidays, will I be left behind?!

2) PHYSICS! - I know this is a really hard HL. But I love physics - I love it when I suddenly understand concepts... and the world seems different...

But what level of maths is needed? Do you have to be really good at maths? I'm just okay. What if you're that slightly "slow" person who catches on to concepts a few minutes after everybody else, or doesn't understand it at all but is afraid to ask for more explanation, because it'll slow the class down?

I have good reasoning skills, but sometimes just feel brain-dead when the teacher explains things out of a textbook...

I have to decide which one I'm going to drop after two weeks of each. They both seem hard, but I guess what I'm asking is - "What's it like?!" Which one seems more suited to me? If you can tell from what I've written?

Another option would be to drop physics to SL and take a "softer" social science for HL - eg. Eco, which is apparently easier than hist. But I am less interested in eco - only faintly interested.

Any advice on what its like to take these HL's would be appreciated! I want to choose carefully because the Highers are what Unis look at. I'm also really open to which uni course I want to do - I have wide ranging interests...

Also... with my current subject choice, would I be able to fit in 2 hours of practice on the violin everyday in Yr 11 at least???

Wow... long rant... if you guys read the whole thing, congrats. And thanks so much in advance... any advice is appreciated.
    Hey, I was going to ask if you have kind of an idea what you want to do at University. Because if so it might make more sense to have Physics at SL and then you can kinda picture what sort of course you might apply for university. Unless you WANT to do physics at uni? I would say that HL Maths and HL Physics definitely compliment that.

So I would say.....

HL
    English Literature
    History
    Maths
    Physics

SL
    Italian Ab Initio
    Music

If you feel one of your HLs is becoming too much for you, should be fine for you to move to SL

History is awesome btw. I <3 it <3 it <3 it so so so so much so interesting. seriously if you enjoy history you will remember everything anyways as you go along (:

and your last qn: no IMO. The IB takes up so much time and it depends on your school travel distance. 2 hours is a lot and you may have to come up with a study timetable which doesnt coincide with your violin or CAS schedule.

The IB makes you more independent learner so you require more research skills than an a leveller per say and a lot of the things you look at the origins of proof - not just say "it's there, this is what happens".

If I'm being honest, Music could be a joint degree on the side which can be seen by your violin work but I would say have it at SL. English Literature is brushing up on your analytical skills.

So I would say

HL
    English
    History
    Music
    SL
    Physics
    Maths
    Italian

OR

HL
    English
    Physics
    Maths
    History
    SL
    Music
    Italian

just inbox me if you have any other qns

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thanks for all replies!

I've chosen!

HL: English A1, Economics, Music, Physics
    SL: Maths, Italian

I'm two weeks into the IB, and I love all my subjects except physics. DCP's are horrible, teacher is all confused and stressed. I think I'm going to drop to SL, since I'm not planning to do a maths/science orientated degree anyway.

Economics is wonderful! Microeconomics is fascinating, and our teacher is inspiring. I hear that history people at my school are being flooded with content already.

My advice for subject choice is two pronged...

a) do what you love.
    b) see who is teaching.

Seriously, schools may tell you to disregard teachers, but my economics teacher makes me look forward to eco every Monday morning.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kog51)
    My advice for subject choice is two pronged...

a) do what you love.
    b) see who is teaching.
    That is the best advice that can be given.

ReputationRep:
    just thought id put this in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16071105

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm currently in Year 11 and IB subject choices are in soon but I have a few queries (and everyone here seems to be very knowledgeable so I made an account).

Basically I'm really interested in architecture and design and I was wondering how these fitted in :

HL Art
    HL Physics
    HL Psychology/Economics*
    SL Italian
    SL Text and Performance**
    SL Maths

*Torn between these two, economics is statistically easier to get a 7 but I'm also interested in psychology.

**They offer this at my school as a replacement for english but more drama/play based, and I'm much better/more interested in plays than novels (plus an easier 7) and I didn't think its relevant but correct me if I'm wrong

Just to add, I've heard horrors about HL maths and am not goo enough to study it but my teacher told me I could definitely do physics.

All feedback welcome! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimbs)
    Hey guys, I'm currently in Year 11 and IB subject choices are in soon but I have a few queries (and everyone here seems to be very knowledgeable so I made an account).

Basically I'm really interested in architecture and design and I was wondering how these fitted in :

HL Art
    HL Physics
    HL Psychology/Economics*
    SL Italian
    SL Text and Performance**
    SL Maths

*Torn between these two, economics is statistically easier to get a 7 but I'm also interested in psychology.

**They offer this at my school as a replacement for english but more drama/play based, and I'm much better/more interested in plays than novels (plus an easier 7) and I didn't think its relevant but correct me if I'm wrong

Just to add, I've heard horrors about HL maths and am not goo enough to study it but my teacher told me I could definitely do physics.

All feedback welcome! Thanks
    From Uni of Bath

38 points with 6 in HL Mathematics or 7 at SL Mathematics, with the majority of offers to candidates studying Mathematics to HL.
    The following is a list of IB subjects considered 'less effective preparation' for our course. This list is not exhaustive and is only included for guidance:
    Business and Management
    Information Technology in a Global Society
    Theatre Arts

I would say

HL: maths, visual art, physics
    SL: english, italian, (whatever Group 3 subject)

If you wanted to broaden your horizons take your group 3 or english to HL
    But it's what you like remember - this is only advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SandipM :))
    From Uni of Bath

38 points with 6 in HL Mathematics or 7 at SL Mathematics, with the majority of offers to candidates studying Mathematics to HL.
    The following is a list of IB subjects considered 'less effective preparation' for our course. This list is not exhaustive and is only included for guidance:
    Business and Management
    Information Technology in a Global Society
    Theatre Arts

I would say

HL: maths, visual art, physics
    SL: english, italian, (whatever Group 3 subject)

If you wanted to broaden your horizons take your group 3 or english to HL
    But it's what you like remember - this is only advice
    Thanks sandip, bath to me looked like one of the minority that want HL maths and apparently different universities lean towards either the maths/physics engineering/structure side or the art and design side and my strengths lie more in design than maths. Also does that list of 'less effective' subjects go across the board and count for all universities?

ReputationRep:
    I'm wanting to study Law at Oxbridge and I am currently picking subjects to take for IB. I need to get as close to 45 as possible, and need to pick subjects that it is not extremely difficult to get high marks in. These are what I have decided upon so far;

Geography HL
    History HL
    English HL

Chemistry SL
    Maths SL
    French/Spanish SL

I'm still not sure which language to take, but I've got a little bit of time to decide. I will probably speak to my teachers and look at my mock results when I get them.
    However, will these subjects be good choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriss-cross)
    I'm wanting to study Law at Oxbridge and I am currently picking subjects to take for IB. I need to get as close to 45 as possible, and need to pick subjects that it is not extremely difficult to get high marks in. These are what I have decided upon so far;

Geography HL
    History HL
    English HL

Chemistry SL
    Maths SL
    French/Spanish SL

I'm still not sure which language to take, but I've got a little bit of time to decide. I will probably speak to my teachers and look at my mock results when I get them.
    Even getting in the 40s is hard, let alone close to 45. I'm doing the same HLs as you . Do Spanish, French sucks. For Law do maths studies, SL isn't needed and it'd be easier to get a 7. Chemistry's fineee.

I'm applying for law at Oxford. I've already researched it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad)
    Even getting in the 40s is hard, let alone close to 45. I'm doing the same HLs as you . Do Spanish, French sucks. For Law do maths studies, SL isn't needed and it'd be easier to get a 7. Chemistry's fineee.

I'm applying for law at Oxford. I've already researched it.
    Okay, thank you! I'm thinking I might swap Chemistry and English, would that be a bad idea?

ReputationRep:

Geography HL
    History HL
    English HL

Chemistry SL
    Maths SL
    French/Spanish SL

HL: English, Geography, History
    SL: Maths Studies, Biology, French/Spanish ab initio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SandipM :))
    HL: English, Geography, History
    SL: Maths Studies, Biology, French/Spanish ab initio

thanks I'll probably stick with those highers but I don't think I want to take a language ab initio, purely because I've been learning the languages for over 4 years (spanish) and since I was 3 (french). I just don't think it would be challenging enough for me xD

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you! I'm thinking I might swap Chemistry and English, would that be a bad idea?
    It's not necessary. English HL is more relevant

ReputationRep:
    Which is better looked at (for architecture especially); psychology or economics? Or is it irrelevant?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimbs)
    Which is better looked at (for architecture especially); psychology or economics? Or is it irrelevant?

thanks
    Not very relevant really, I'd go for Economics for general understanding, but that's just my view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad)
    It's not necessary. English HL is more relevant
    okay thanks, I've decided on English for HL

ReputationRep:
    you dont need maths HL to do medicine or veterinary, two hl sciences will be enough, my friend has an offer for medicine and she does bio chem and english higher (for 38 points, 6,6,6 HL). take english instead because you dont really have to learn huge amounts for it.
    although if your relaly not sure then do a month or so of 4 highers and then decide.

ReputationRep:
    You all seem to have some great ideas.... I might go for IB, and I have... well, an interesting subject mashup.

I plan to take:
    HL Visual Art
    HL Film Studies
    HL Business Management

SL Maths
    SL Biology? <-- Is this allowed?!
    SL English Lit

How does this mashup- am I allowed this combination? It's rather confusing, as I can't seem to fit in my French, which is a SL. Help!!! Also, what will the work load be like? I'm trying to keep my basic options open, but since my strengths lie mostly in design orientated subjects and oddly, business, I'm taking HL subjects to complement that.

Also, is Economics way harder than Business & Management, or are both roughly the same? I take Business Studies in IGCSE, and I love it- would this help IB Econ or Business Management the most?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.