Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crimson.threads)
    You all seem to have some great ideas.... I might go for IB, and I have... well, an interesting subject mashup.

I plan to take:
    HL Visual Art
    HL Film Studies
    HL Business Management

SL Maths
    SL Biology? <-- Is this allowed?!
    SL English Lit

How does this mashup- am I allowed this combination? It's rather confusing, as I can't seem to fit in my French, which is a SL. Help!!! Also, what will the work load be like? I'm trying to keep my basic options open, but since my strengths lie mostly in design orientated subjects and oddly, business, I'm taking HL subjects to complement that.

Also, is Economics way harder than Business & Management, or are both roughly the same? I take Business Studies in IGCSE, and I love it- would this help IB Econ or Business Management the most?
    You can't do that combination, as you have two group six subjects (Art and Film). You would have to drop one of those, and then you'd have room for French. You'd then have to bring an SL up to HL to have three of each. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jwf13)
    You can't do that combination, as you have two group six subjects (Art and Film). You would have to drop one of those, and then you'd have room for French. You'd then have to bring an SL up to HL to have three of each. Hope this helps
    Ah but the funny thing is, in my school we're allowed that combination, I think. But it ends up with us taking ESS in place of a science to make room, which I have no idea about- it's supposed to be environmental scientific studies? It's rather confusing...

Thanks a lot for that suggestion though, if worst comes to worse, I may just drop art and take HL English or Bio.

ReputationRep:
    Ah but the funny thing is, in my school we're allowed that combination, I think. But it ends up with us taking ESS in place of a science to make room, which I have no idea about- it's supposed to be environmental scientific studies? It's rather confusing...

Thanks a lot for that suggestion though, if worst comes to worse, I may just drop art and take HL English or Bio.
    No, unless there's a loophole due to ESS, you cannot take your subjects - it is not determined by your school, it is determined by the IBO. You have to take one subject at least from groups 1-5 (language, language, humanity, science, maths) and then either a subject from group 6 (arts) or another on from 1-5.

If you really want to do the two arts subjects you can always have one as the 7th subject!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot! One more query..... what 7th subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logiadoevus)
    No, unless there's a loophole due to ESS, you cannot take your subjects - it is not determined by your school, it is determined by the IBO. You have to take one subject at least from groups 1-5 (language, language, humanity, science, maths) and then either a subject from group 6 (arts) or another on from 1-5.

If you really want to do the two arts subjects you can always have one as the 7th subject!
    My friend does ESS, Visual Arts & Film Studies. =S (Art and Film HL)

ReputationRep:

If you take ESS, then you'll have to drop buisness and management, because the loophole is that ESS counts as a group 3 and 4 subject, so you can take an extra subject of your choice to get six. So yes, you could do ESS, but you'd have to drop B&M, so you'd have: English, French, ESS, Maths, Art and Film.

ReputationRep:
    I think I've made my IB choices - just:

French HL
    Philosophy/ethics HL
    English HL
    Maths SL
    History SL
    Physics SL

Do these seem like a good combo? Anyone doing physics standard level care to tell me what it's like?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Bubba123)
    snippity snip snip
    They're fine.

Physics SL is ok, it requires a good amount of work but if you want an 'easier' science go for Bio or ESS but you'll have a lot to learn in biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    They're fine.

Physics SL is ok, it requires a good amount of work but if you want an 'easier' science go for Bio or ESS but you'll have a lot to learn in biology.
    I hear bio and ESS are ****takes... I did chem SL and it was a tough 2 years.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TEEJUS)
    Are what?

If you like physics take it.

ReputationRep:
    They're fine.

Are what?

Okay thank you I'll look into Physics and biology a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    Are what?

I'll get warning points for this. Pisstakes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'll get warning points for this. Pisstakes
    If you want to refute it you can talk to a moderator about it :yes:

But you haven't been warned yet :lol:

ReputationRep:
    If you want to refute it you can talk to a moderator about it :yes:

But you haven't been warned yet :lol:
    winning

ReputationRep:
    So I'm thinking of studying medicine, and I'm thinking of choosing these subjects for IB:
    HL-Maths
    HL-Chemistry
    HL-Biology
    HL- French B
    SL-English
    SL- History
    What do you think? I know that going with four HL subjects is really hard, but I talked to my teacher and he said that if I really am going to study medicine, I should be able to cope with four HL subjects. However, I've been studying French for about 7 years and got an A* in my IGCSE when I did it early, without spending much time on it. I found the IGCSE course quite easy.... So I was thinking about trying to get the bilingual diploma by taking French A2 standard level instead of french B, but i donno how difficult it will be... I like french and I'm willing to work a bit extra but I just wanted to know how big a difference there is between French B HL and A2 SL.....
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SM74)
    So I'm thinking of studying medicine, and I'm thinking of choosing these subjects for IB:
    HL-Maths
    HL-Chemistry
    HL-Biology
    HL- French B
    SL-English
    SL- History
    What do you think? I know that going with four HL subjects is really hard, but I talked to my teacher and he said that if I really am going to study medicine, I should be able to cope with four HL subjects. However, I've been studying French for about 7 years and got an A* in my IGCSE when I did it early, without spending much time on it. I found the IGCSE course quite easy.... So I was thinking about trying to get the bilingual diploma by taking French A2 standard level instead of french B, but i donno how difficult it will be... I like french and I'm willing to work a bit extra but I just wanted to know how big a difference there is between French B HL and A2 SL.....
    You could write your EE in french and still get the billingual diploma

You don't need 4 HL so if you struggle with the workload don't worry about dropping maths or french to SL.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 11 and I'm starting the IB diploma next year, with the intention of doing Medicine or really any Biological/Natural Science at University. Really, really passionate about this. At the moment I'm predicted all As/A*s at GCSE so I know I've got the ability.

PROVISIONAL:

HL: Biology, Chemistry, Geography
    SL: Maths, German, English Lit

But I'm in a slight dilemma because I also know I'm a solid Mathematician (my teacher said so himself), and don't whether a uni course in this field may perhaps be more ideal for me

I even sat my Maths GCSE in year 10, obtaining A*, so have the understanding that a Maths/Economics route may POSSIBLY be more suited for me. Admittedly, I also have a strong interest in this.
    I was just wondering what sort of subject combination would give me the prospect of doing Medicine or Sciences at the best or most competitive of Unis, without hampering eligibility for Economics or Maths

It's just so I can be eligible for both fields, in case I change my mind midway through the diploma
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by DrumChops)
    x
    Swap maths and geography around.

HL maths is very difficult btw

ReputationRep:
    Swap maths and geography around.

HL maths is very difficult btw
    thank you! Sorry, I edited my post. I didn't preview tut tut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrumChops)
    But I'm in a slight dilemma because I also know I'm a solid Mathematician (my teacher said so himself), and don't whether a uni course in this field may perhaps be more ideal for me
    If you're a solid mathematician then by all means choose Math HL. It's one of the more difficult subjects but it leaves you with many options later. (Especially for medicine/nat sciences/maths/econ)

I initially signed up for Math SL thinking I wouldn't need maths later anyway (plus I'm not a mathematically-minded person). Then my teacher talked me into giving it a go, and I'm so glad he did because I ended up applying for economics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.