Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigeon93)
    If you're a solid mathematician then by all means choose Math HL. It's one of the more difficult subjects but it leaves you with many options later. (Especially for medicine/nat sciences/maths/econ)

I initially signed up for Math SL thinking I wouldn't need maths later anyway (plus I'm not a mathematically-minded person). Then my teacher talked me into giving it a go, and I'm so glad he did because I ended up applying for economics.
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I definitely won't underestimate Maths HL. But I think I'll go for it, considering what you've said.

Just wondering what other subjects you did alongside? Economics?

Although I heard Economics isn't required for most uni econ courses, it is for Cambridge, which obviously is in my highest aspirations (amongst others, too)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrumChops)
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I definitely won't underestimate Maths HL. But I think I'll go for it, considering what you've said.

Just wondering what other subjects you did alongside? Economics?

Although I heard Economics isn't required for most uni econ courses, it is for Cambridge, which obviously is in my highest aspirations (amongst others, too)
    I did history, math and french HL, chem, english and econ SL.

Econ HL isn't really required anywhere (even cambridge) but then again it's interesting and not particularly difficult so you might as well take it (you could even make it a 4th higher temporarily/as a backup for maths as there isn't much difference between econ SL and HL).

Ya don't underestimate maths, but then again it isn't as hard as some people make it out to be. It's challenging, but I managed to get a 7 and I'm no genius. History HL was much harder tbh.

ReputationRep:
    take THEATRE ARTS!!! well although it's a bit time consuming! with a bit of concentration it's intresting and fun to do like you kind of enjoy the course! i am having a love/hate relationship with it right now!! half way throughhhhh ahhhhh xo

ReputationRep:
    Starting the IB next year, and I am supposed to choose my subjects. In the future I want to study either Economics or maybe some science based subject. But my main goal is Economics at a top university in the UK. So, here are my plans:

Mathematics HL
    Physics HL
    Economics HL

English B SL
    Swedish SL
    Chemsitry SL

When I presented this idea to my IB coordinator, she strongly advised me to take English B at HL because, according to her, "no university outside Sweden would want you", unless you took it on HL. The thing is, analyzing deep novels and discussing poems are not my strongest points... I would much rather prefer Economics on HL, and I'm quite sure I would get a better grade in it, since I'm interested in it.

So the question is, should I listen to her or do the likes of Oxbridge and LSE not care wether I have English B on SL or HL? What is preferred, a higher total mark with a 6 in English B SL or a possibly lower total mark with a 5 in English B HL?

Is 4 HL's the answer?

Thank you in advance!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by afbp)
    UK uni's don't really care but it might change whether you take the test to determine whether you have to take the English proficiency test (something like that) If you can take English A instead that'd be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afbp)
    Starting the IB next year, and I am supposed to choose my subjects. In the future I want to study either Economics or maybe some science based subject. But my main goal is Economics at a top university in the UK. So, here are my plans:

Mathematics HL
    Physics HL
    Economics HL

English B SL
    Swedish SL
    Chemsitry SL

When I presented this idea to my IB coordinator, she strongly advised me to take English B at HL because, according to her, "no university outside Sweden would want you", unless you took it on HL. The thing is, analyzing deep novels and discussing poems are not my strongest points... I would much rather prefer Economics on HL, and I'm quite sure I would get a better grade in it, since I'm interested in it.

So the question is, should I listen to her or do the likes of Oxbridge and LSE not care wether I have English B on SL or HL? What is preferred, a higher total mark with a 6 in English B SL or a possibly lower total mark with a 5 in English B HL?

Is 4 HL's the answer?

Thank you in advance!
    Going by what you've written, you seem to be good at English already - HL shouldn't be much of a problem. It does involve reading two novels, but going by what my friends in French/Spanish B HL say it is for coursework, not exams, and you only need to understand them rather than analyse in much detail, which is what you'll do in your A1 Swedish. There are other qualifications you can take to prove you are proficient in English such as IELTS, but you may as well study it over two years as part of your diploma - it will be good practise either way if you want to study here, and if it comes to it you can drop one of the four down to SL later on.

Maths and Economics HL are very good for an economics degree. The maths is essential: LSE, for example, require a 7 at HL (very hard to achieve), whilst Cambridge will want at least a 6. Economics is slightly less important, but still very helpful (or occasionally required), especially at the top universities.

One thing to think about is the score you will need to get into a place like Cambridge: they have the highest requirements in the country, wanting 40-42 points including 776-777 at HL (the exception being King's College, which 'only' want 38 with 766). You will really need Maths, Economics and English, but you may want to consider Physics at SL. If you take it at HL, you keep degree options like Engineering, Computer Science and Physics open, as well as having an extra subject to get the required scores in your HLs in, but on the other hand since your other three HLs are important you'll probably needs 6s and 7s in them anyway and Physics HL makes it harder to get the overall points total.

Hopefully this is helpful, feel free to ask if you want to know anything else

ReputationRep:
    I have to choose my IB subjects in the next 18 days. I really want to major in Maths at Uni but I only got a 89% in IGCSE Math, even though my predicted was 95%. I'm signed up to retake it in May, before 11th starts. I recently got into one of the best IB schools where I live (India), and so the atmosphere is going to be really competitive. I'm worried they won't let me take Math HL because of my low 10th grade score.
    If IGCSE scores mean anything, I got 8 A*s and an A, having done two subjects (History and Economics, for self-study)

This is what I'm thinking of doing:

Math HL
    Chemistry HL
    Economics or Psychology HL

English Literature A1 SL
    French B SL
    Physics SL

I can't decide
    a) Whether to switch Physics up to HL and my Group 3 subject down to SL
    b) Whether to take French as a fourth HL
    c) Whether to take Economics or Psychology. I know that Econ is more maths based and so will probably be more useful for me, but Psych just seems more interesting...

I really wanted to do Further Maths, but my school doesn't offer it. Thanks for any help in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and in Year 11. I created this account specifically to ask about this thread.

I was planning on:

English Lit HL
    Psychology HL
    History/Art HL

Spanish Ab Initio SL
    Maths/Maths Studies SL
    Biology SL

I want to do law or possibly psychology, I'm not sure yet. I do however have a lot of questions.

I don't want to do anything Maths based, definitely. I really dislike Maths and I'm not good at it. I've always been a literature person. So I was wondering, exactly how bad would it be to take Maths Studies? As far as my GCSEs are looking, I may be forced into taking it, or taking SL and dropping if I can't cope. But if Maths Studies is something that's going to ruin my chances for a good uni, I will force myself into continuing SL. However, I don't really want to go through two years of extra torture (as I don't want to do IB in the first place) with more Maths than I can handle while maintaining some form of sanity.

Secondly, I was wondering how difficult History is at HL. I'm not bad at History GCSE and I could probably cope - I actually wanted to take Geography, but that's in the same option block as Psychology, which I really really want to take. If History HL is very difficult, in your opinions, would it be alright to take Art HL? Our IB coordinator is always saying that the IB was designed for an arts course to be taken, but I will definitely not be taking an arts centred course at uni, so would taking Art HL instead of another essay-based subject therefore be detrimental to my progress?

Lastly, I never want to take French ever again once I'm done with GCSEs so I'm taking Spanish Ab Initio. I will probably do quite well in it as I'm fluent in a Spanish colonial language. But I wanted to ask if unis will look at Spanish Ab as far weaker than French B, particularly if I end up taking Maths Studies as well.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Recently I was talking to my teacher about the options for maths, I'm in top set maths at my school at the moment and my teacher said I would be able to take maths studies in one year, however the Universities I'm interested in want maximum points.
    Would maths studies lessen my chances of getting in than if I were to take standard level maths?
    (interested in human rights/law)

ReputationRep:
    Ok so we had an IB options evening today and I am more confused than ever about the courses that I should take. I want to study medicine and am sure of taking:
    English A1 SL
    Maths HL
    French B
    Chemistry HL
    Biology HL

However, for english, I just realized that there are two options: English language and literature, and English literature. I am actually stronger at literature than the language - do both for IGCSE - but I think I read in some universities' websites that they need English Language IB if you want to study medicine. Is that true, or could i just take literature and get into a medical school? Also, I do history as IGCSE, and I enjoy the course very much, and my teacher thinks I should definitely take it at IB. However, I am also considering taking psychology IB because first of all, I think i'll be very interested in it, and because it is kind of related to medicine. Do you think History will look better when I apply to universities for medicine or psychology? History can improve my essay writing skills, and sounds like a tougher course....:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queentamora)
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and in Year 11. I created this account specifically to ask about this thread.

I was planning on:

English Lit HL
    Psychology HL
    History/Art HL

Spanish Ab Initio SL
    Maths/Maths Studies SL
    Biology SL

I want to do law or possibly psychology, I'm not sure yet. I do however have a lot of questions.

I don't want to do anything Maths based, definitely. I really dislike Maths and I'm not good at it. I've always been a literature person. So I was wondering, exactly how bad would it be to take Maths Studies? As far as my GCSEs are looking, I may be forced into taking it, or taking SL and dropping if I can't cope. But if Maths Studies is something that's going to ruin my chances for a good uni, I will force myself into continuing SL. However, I don't really want to go through two years of extra torture (as I don't want to do IB in the first place) with more Maths than I can handle while maintaining some form of sanity.

Secondly, I was wondering how difficult History is at HL. I'm not bad at History GCSE and I could probably cope - I actually wanted to take Geography, but that's in the same option block as Psychology, which I really really want to take. If History HL is very difficult, in your opinions, would it be alright to take Art HL? Our IB coordinator is always saying that the IB was designed for an arts course to be taken, but I will definitely not be taking an arts centred course at uni, so would taking Art HL instead of another essay-based subject therefore be detrimental to my progress?

Lastly, I never want to take French ever again once I'm done with GCSEs so I'm taking Spanish Ab Initio. I will probably do quite well in it as I'm fluent in a Spanish colonial language. But I wanted to ask if unis will look at Spanish Ab as far weaker than French B, particularly if I end up taking Maths Studies as well.

Thanks!
    For what you'd like to study at uni, I'd say it's heaps better to get 6 or a 7 in studies rather than 4 or 5 in standard level. Adds to your overall points out of 45, and you will have more time to focus on your time consuming subjects. Math studies in your case might be more beneficial.
    For your arts vs history dilemma, both at higher level are time-consuming and difficult. Make sure when you pick your 6th subject, choose a class which you love (or at least, prefer out of all other options) because if your going to work hard at a IB class for the next two years, it should be one which you enjoy.
    For your langauges, I'd say go with Spanish Ab Initio. Taking an ab initio class just means you're learning a new language, and does not look 'soft' to universities. As you've learned French before you'll have an easier time with Spanish ab initio and should score high rather than finding French B a chore and being less than successful at it. Just a question, if you're fluent at a Spanish Colonial Language, does that entitle you to the opportunity of taking Spanish B or even A? (I'd take Spanish at B rather than A if that's the case). If it does, you might find ab initio way too easy for you and should take Spanish B. If you're unsure, ask if you can take a Spanish Placement test at school.

Also, here's a website which may help you with your subject choices:
    http://www.uwcsea.edu.sg/uploaded/im...requisites.pdf

Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queentamora)

I was planning on:

English Lit HL
    Psychology HL
    History/Art HL

Spanish Ab Initio SL
    Maths/Maths Studies SL
    Biology SL

Thanks!
    For what you'd like to study at uni, I'd say it's heaps better to get 6 or a 7 in studies rather than 4 or 5 in standard level. Adds to your overall points out of 45, and you will have more time to focus on your time consuming subjects. Math studies in your case might be more beneficial.
    For your arts vs history dilemma, both at higher level are time-consuming and difficult. Make sure when you pick your 6th subject, choose a class which you love (or at least, prefer out of all other options) because if your going to work hard at a IB class for the next two years, it should be one which you enjoy.
    For your langauges, I'd say go with Spanish Ab Initio. Taking an ab initio class just means you're learning a new language, and does not look 'soft' to universities. As you've learned French before you'll have an easier time with Spanish ab initio and should score high rather than finding French B a chore and being less than successful at it. Just a question, if you're fluent at a Spanish Colonial Language, does that entitle you to the opportunity of taking Spanish B or even A? (I'd take Spanish at B rather than A if that's the case). If it does, you might find ab initio way too easy for you and should take Spanish B. If you're unsure, ask if you can take a Spanish Placement test at school.

Also, here's a website which may help you with your subject choices:
    http://www.uwcsea.edu.sg/uploaded/im...requisites.pdf

Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM74)
    Ok so we had an IB options evening today and I am more confused than ever about the courses that I should take. I want to study medicine and am sure of taking:
    English A1 SL
    Maths HL
    French B
    Chemistry HL
    Biology HL

However, for english, I just realized that there are two options: English language and literature, and English literature. I am actually stronger at literature than the language - do both for IGCSE - but I think I read in some universities' websites that they need English Language IB if you want to study medicine. Is that true, or could i just take literature and get into a medical school? Also, I do history as IGCSE, and I enjoy the course very much, and my teacher thinks I should definitely take it at IB. However, I am also considering taking psychology IB because first of all, I think i'll be very interested in it, and because it is kind of related to medicine. Do you think History will look better when I apply to universities for medicine or psychology? History can improve my essay writing skills, and sounds like a tougher course....:confused:
    For English, I think by 'english language' they mean you should be taking English A, whether it is lang & lit or just lit. And for psychology or history, I've heard there's plenty of essay writing in both subjects. Psychology might be more beneficial, but it's really not vital to getting into Med School, Bio Chem and Maths HL are much more so. I'd say choose out of history or psychology which one you think you'd absolutely love doing in IB. Look at both of the course syllabuses, talk to other people at your school who take either course, and finally talk to both teachers of each course. Take what you love and what you think you'll be able to score high on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubba123)
    Recently I was talking to my teacher about the options for maths, I'm in top set maths at my school at the moment and my teacher said I would be able to take maths studies in one year, however the Universities I'm interested in want maximum points.
    Would maths studies lessen my chances of getting in than if I were to take standard level maths?
    (interested in human rights/law)
    If you're in the top set of maths, and you don't wish to study something like engineering or the sciences at uni, than standard or studies are the options to take, although seeing as you are good at maths, I'd recommend standard. Studies is seen as a bit harder than GCSE maths so if you're sure that your uni does not require you to take Standard or Higher, then studies will be a breeze for you. On the other hand, it's probably better to keep options open for uni by taking Standard level and achieving a well earned 6 or 7 rather than taking studies and obtaining an easy 7.

ReputationRep:
    I have had a really hard time to decide which subjects I should choose, and it need to be done this friday, so I am in a hurry. This is what I have chosen for the moment:

Swedish A1 HL
    English B HL
    History HL
    Economics/Psychology HL or SL
    Mathematics SL
    Biology SL

The only subject I am really sure of is swedish, which is something I really love. But I am very hesitant if I want to study economics or psychology, and if I should take that subject on higher or standard level. The thing is, I have always thought that psycology is an interesting subject, but I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. The reason why I am considering economics is because it leaves many doors open and it is pretty exciting because I am interested in politics.

What can I study at a good university with the combination including psycology afterwards, and with the one with economics? And is the whole set of subjects a good idea?

I am grateful for advice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. The subjects I've chosen for IB:

Biology HL
    Chemistry HL
    Economics HL

Math SL
    English Lit SL
    Chinese B SL

Recently I've been thinking of changing my subjects. I may pursue medicine in the US, which makes a big difference because they aren't so strict on subject requirements.
    However, I really really enjoy Art and am good at it, and I'm scared without it my IB life will be dull and boring! I would swap Biology with Art SL, and then switch English SL to HL. However, I enjoy and am better at Biology than Chemistry, but the reason I wouldn't take it is because Chemistry is a lot more useful. Also, I feel Art SL is the only option I'd take because HL would be too time-consuming. My choices would then be:

Biology/Chemistry HL
    Economics HL
    English Lit HL

Math SL
    Art SL
    Chinese B SL

I want to know:
    1) I have the grades for either option, so it a wise choice to sacrifice a capable Science just for 'enjoyment' aka Art?
    2) Does this hinder my application for US universities, especially if I'm likely going to a science field?
    3) Should I remove Biology or Chemistry? This again comes down to enjoyment (I prefer Biology over Chemistry) or practicality (Chemistry is more useful).

Even if I were to take it, I fear Art would be a heavy burden due to the workload, and English HL, the only subject I'd bump to HL, would be demanding. I just don't want to be an IB student that doesn't have an extreme love towards their subjects...and as a result, isn't motivated to work!

Thanks for taking the time to read & please, I'd appreciate any advice you could give! A little lost at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a really hard time deciding on which subject choices I should choose so hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

Currently I plan on doing
    English A1 (Literature only) HL
    Chinese B HL
    History HL

Maths SL
    Biology SL
    Film HL

I'm 100% certain that I plan on taking law at university and most universities that I have researched have no preferences for subject choices.

My questions

1) Will taking film be perceived as a weak subject? Should I take something more academically challenging instead?
    2) Will universities discriminate if I take Chinese Second Language at HL even though I'm Asian and I have previously studied the language for 6 years?
    3) Is English A1.1 (Literature) much harder than English A1.2 (Language and literature)? Can someone who has taken either of the english course give me some feedback on what it was like?

Thanks for taking the time to read
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by iamyourmum)
    I'm 100% certain that I plan on taking law at university and most universities that I have researched have no preferences for subject choices.

1) Will taking film be perceived as a weak subject? Should I take something more academically challenging instead?
    2) Will universities discriminate if I take Chinese Second Language at HL even though I'm Asian and I have previously studied the language for 6 years?
    3) Is English A1.1 (Literature) much harder than English A1.2 (Language and literature)? Can someone who has taken either of the english course give me some feedback on what it was like?

Thanks for taking the time to read
    1) yes, but what other subject could you consider? It isn't a bad thing taking film.
    2) You aren't a native speaker so no. You're just good at the language.
    3) It is harder in the sense it's more academic. It's fairly fun at times :yes:
    4) Why are you taking 4 HLs?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lightchocolate)
    x
    Medicine is post graduate in the US. Just letting you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    1) yes, but what other subject could you consider? It isn't a bad thing taking film.
    2) You aren't a native speaker so no. You're just good at the language.
    3) It is harder in the sense it's more academic. It's fairly fun at times :yes:
    4) Why are you taking 4 HLs?

Because the only difference between film SL and HL is the length of the film you have to produce for your final project.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.