Turn on thread page Beta

Hello people, another one with a dilemma here!
    I am starting IB this October and for now my subjects are:
    English HL - mandatory (although I would have taken it anyway)
    Serbian SL - mandatory
    Biology HL
    Chemistry HL
    Math SL-HL ?
    History SL-HL ?
    Visual Arts - SL
    For now I am pretty sure I will pursue medicine in the future but I still want to keep my options open - thus HL History. That would be a subject combination that could easily fit in many fields in college (law, literature, history etc)... buut, yes, I'm also well aware that colleges pretty much look down upon applications that have too many different subjects, as it doesn't quite show your determination.
    Ok, so:
    1. Everyone talks how Math HL is needed- or at least desired for Medicine. Is Math HL that important for Medicine? Does it really make that much of a competitive application for med schools later? Just... is it worth it?!
    2. Do you think it would be too 'colorful' of an application if I applied to med school with Bio, Chem, English and History HL + VA at SL too? Lost soul much?
    3. Besides Math HL, I also hear a lot of talking about Physics. Do I need that at all?
    I could take Physics as a 7th subject instead of VA but drawing is a thing that has always made made me stand out and I would be sorry for giving that subject up.

I would really appreciate some advice, suggestions, experiences, anything..

Best rgds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sic)
    Hello people, another one with a dilemma here!
    I am starting IB this October and for now my subjects are:
    English HL - mandatory (although I would have taken it anyway)
    Serbian SL - mandatory
    Biology HL
    Chemistry HL
    Math SL-HL ?
    History SL-HL ?
    Visual Arts - SL
    For now I am pretty sure I will pursue medicine in the future but I still want to keep my options open - thus HL History. That would be a subject combination that could easily fit in many fields in college (law, literature, history etc)... buut, yes, I'm also well aware that colleges pretty much look down upon applications that have too many different subjects, as it doesn't quite show your determination.
    Ok, so:
    1. Everyone talks how Math HL is needed- or at least desired for Medicine. Is Math HL that important for Medicine? Does it really make that much of a competitive application for med schools later? Just... is it worth it?!
    2. Do you think it would be too 'colorful' of an application if I applied to med school with Bio, Chem, English and History HL + VA at SL too? Lost soul much?
    3. Besides Math HL, I also hear a lot of talking about Physics. Do I need that at all?
    I could take Physics as a 7th subject instead of VA but drawing is a thing that has always made made me stand out and I would be sorry for giving that subject up.

I would really appreciate some advice, suggestions, experiences, anything..

Best rgds!
    Other than Chemistry; very few Medical schools state a preference for any other subjects at HL, although Biology is commonly taken alongside Chemistry. Maths HL is absolutely NOT essential, even in leading Medical schools like Edinburgh, and Cambridge. They are more interested in work experience, enthusiasm and your actual grade.

Getting 7,7,6 with a 6 in maths HL, is not as impressive as 7,7,7 with a 7 in History to them. Maths in most medical courses is not harder than the maths required to get a good mark in the SL maths papers; or so many students and lecturers I have spoken to say.

Your best bet is emailing the Medical departments you are interested in, and asking them yourself; as only they will be able to accurately answer your question.

(Original post by chiligrinder)
    Other than Chemistry; very few Medical schools state a preference for any other subjects at HL, although Biology is commonly taken alongside Chemistry. Maths HL is absolutely NOT essential, even in leading Medical schools like Edinburgh, and Cambridge. They are more interested in work experience, enthusiasm and your actual grade.

Getting 7,7,6 with a 6 in maths HL, is not as impressive as 7,7,7 with a 7 in History to them. Maths in most medical courses is not harder than the maths required to get a good mark in the SL maths papers; or so many students and lecturers I have spoken to say.

Your best bet is emailing the Medical departments you are interested in, and asking them yourself; as only they will be able to accurately answer your question.
    Ok, thank you.
    And Physics?

ReputationRep:
    Changed my options after a taster week of the timetable, as I am now sure what I want to do, what I love etc.

HL
    Chemistry,
    Maths,
    Physics
    (Latin) - our school requires a 4th HL for Maths HL candidates until they are sure they are going to commit.

SL
    English Lit
    History

Hard work ahead.

ReputationRep:
    I have a problem on which subjects to choose as well. As of right now the subjects I have chose are Physics HL, Maths HL, Chemistry HL, English SL, Language B SL. I am currently confuse if I should take biology sl or economics sl for my last subject? I am still uncertain of what I want to become or major in the future, probably engineering or business related things but i still want to keep my options open as well. In this case, what would be better for me?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rh888king)
    I have a problem on which subjects to choose as well. As of right now the subjects I have chose are Physics HL, Maths HL, Chemistry HL, English SL, Language B SL. I am currently confuse if I should take biology sl or economics sl for my last subject? I am still uncertain of what I want to become or major in the future, probably engineering or business related things but i still want to keep my options open as well. In this case, what would be better for me?

Thanks in advance!
    Unless you have special dispensation (the only common case I've heard of for this is people applying to do medicine in Sweden) you have to take Economics SL as you must have a group 3 ("Individuals and Societies") subject. In IB, you have 6 groups: First Language, Second Language, Individuals and Societies (often called humanities), Natural Sciences (Bio/Chem/Physics being the main example), Maths and "Arts and Electives" (an art subject or another option from one of the other 5 groups), and you must select one subject from each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CLS94)
    Unless you have special dispensation (the only common case I've heard of for this is people applying to do medicine in Sweden) you have to take Economics SL as you must have a group 3 ("Individuals and Societies") subject. In IB, you have 6 groups: First Language, Second Language, Individuals and Societies (often called humanities), Natural Sciences (Bio/Chem/Physics being the main example), Maths and "Arts and Electives" (an art subject or another option from one of the other 5 groups), and you must select one subject from each.
    I am aware of this but I have a strong interest in learning science related subjects which is why I am planning to take the 3 science subjects. Plus taking all 3 of it opens up many opportunities in the future. However is this a wise choice to do?

This may seem a bit out of topic but if perhaps I plan on applying to MIT in the future and it requires me to take two or more years of history/social studies, will I still be able to apply if I took economics in grade 9-10?

(Original post by rh888king)

Thanks in advance!
    Biology goes well with the rest of your subjects. I can't see Economics being very helpful for keeping the options open if you're not taking it at HL.

(Original post by CLS94)
    Yeah, that applies for the regular diploma, but there are loads of people who take the subjects he's taking (all science- oriented subjects) and get an irregular science diploma, it's basically the same.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm struggling with subject choices as well. I'm starting at a new school in September and I need to submit my choices next week, and so far I've chosen:

English Literature A HL
    French B HL
    History HL
    Economics SL
    Maths SL

I'm torn between choosing SL Biology or ESS as my Group 4. I'm not too keen on Biology because my teacher last year wasn't that great, but I don't know too much about the ESS; from what I've heard it's considered something of a 'soft' subject and not appealing to universities. I have no intention of going for a science-related degree, though. Any information, tips or opinions? c:

(Original post by musicalbatgirl)
    Hi everyone, I'm struggling with subject choices as well. I'm starting at a new school in September and I need to submit my choices next week, and so far I've chosen:

English Literature A HL
    French B HL
    History HL
    Economics SL
    Maths SL

I'm torn between choosing SL Biology or ESS as my Group 4. I'm not too keen on Biology because my teacher last year wasn't that great, but I don't know too much about the ESS; from what I've heard it's considered something of a 'soft' subject and not appealing to universities. I have no intention of going for a science-related degree, though. Any information, tips or opinions? c:
    I cannot emphasise this enough: If you're not applying for a science related degree, universities do not care about whether you've taken ESS or not.

It's there to help non science students get a better overall score without having to struggle through something they don't enjoy or are not good at. Yes, it's a soft subject but it's still difficult to get a 7 in (most decent/ good students end up with a 5 or 6) because it's so vague and the mark schemes are so tricky.

So don't worry about it not being appealing to your universities, all they care about are your HLs. I took ESS and Math Studies (two of the most looked down upon subjects) but applied for English literature and got offers from Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Exeter and Aberdeen- they really do not care about subjects that aren't related to your course. Most important are HL requirements- they'll ask for, say, 38 with 766 at HL, so you need to be good at your HLs.

And another thing: in the IB, if you're teacher's not good, getting a good grade becomes very difficult. Again, I can't stress how important it is to have a good teacher, so please please don't take Bio, just take ESS and grant yourself a slightly more relaxed next two years.

ReputationRep:
    I know that this question is asked often, but here goes:

Physics or Chemistry in IB? (I'm not going to do HL in my 2nd year)

My current subjects are:
    1. Maths HL
    2. Economics HL
    3. History HL
    4. English A SL
    5. French B SL
    6. -

Looking to do Economics in Uni, but I like both Physics and Chemistry as subjects and am struggling to choose.

ReputationRep:
    Changed my options after a taster week of the timetable, as I am now sure what I want to do, what I love etc.

HL
    Chemistry,
    Maths,
    Physics
    (Latin) - our school requires a 4th HL for Maths HL candidates until they are sure they are going to commit.

SL
    English Lit
    History

Hard work ahead.

Now the IB year is about to begin, I have changed a lot since the taster week,

and have changed to this;

HL: Chemistry , Economics, Theatre

SL: Maths, English, Latin.

I love Chemistry with a great passion, but no longer wish to be a scientist. For all intensive purposes, are these a good set of IB sujects in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    Now the IB year is about to begin, I have changed a lot since the taster week,

and have changed to this;

HL: Chemistry , Economics, Theatre

SL: Maths, English, Latin.

I love Chemistry with a great passion, but no longer wish to be a scientist. For all intensive purposes, are these a good set of IB sujects in your opinion?
    You mean 'for all intents and purposes'.

Well, it's a good set of subjects if that's what you like. You have a humanity and a science at HL which is good for keeping options open. But ultimately, it depends on what you want to do, and what you enjoy. But seems okay to me.

ReputationRep:
    Best combination for a degree in finance or economics?
    So far i've come up with
    HL econ
    HL Business management
    HL bio( only doing it cos i like it)
    SL math( with an a level in math as well)
    Sl english
    Spanish ab initio
    What changes do i need to make?

(Original post by Joker :P)
    So far i've come up with
    HL econ
    HL Business management
    Sl english
    Spanish ab initio
    Sounds okay, really. If you're good at HL bio you should be able to boost your overall score nicely. Math HL might look better than SL but you should check on that- see which universities require Math at HL for a finance course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saachi)
    Sounds okay, really. If you're good at HL bio you should be able to boost your overall score nicely. Math HL might look better than SL but you should check on that- see which universities require Math at HL for a finance course.
    Yeah im quite good at it
    Im taking A level math on the side ( Which is what Warwick told me to do)
    So i guess ill be alright for other unis too? Not 100% sure about other unis though
    yeah ill definitely check thank you

ReputationRep:
    Yeah im quite good at it
    So i guess ill be alright for other unis too? Not 100% sure about other unis though
    I would advise against taking both B&M and Econ at HL if you're doing 3 HL subjects. B&M is too practical and not loved by many universities, so I'd say either do it at SL or take it as a fourth HL subject (if you're interested in it, it's not too difficult), and take Maths at HL if you really want to get into finance and/or economics - not even necessarily for uni purposes but because you need very good maths. If you're doing Maths A-level, might as well do Maths HL, or just do that instead of the A-level; I'm sure Warwick would agree.

Yeah im quite good at it
    (Original post by logiadoevus)
    I would advise against taking both B&M and Econ at HL if you're doing 3 HL subjects. B&M is too practical and not loved by many universities, so I'd say either do it at SL or take it as a fourth HL subject (if you're interested in it, it's not too difficult), and take Maths at HL if you really want to get into finance and/or economics - not even necessarily for uni purposes but because you need very good maths. If you're doing Maths A-level, might as well do Maths HL, or just do that instead of the A-level; I'm sure Warwick would agree.
    Agree with logiadoevus about the Math HL thing, if you're doing A-level math might as well take IB Math at HL. It's a lot less confusing for your other universities too

ReputationRep:
    So far i've come up with
    HL econ
    HL Business management
    Sl english
    Spanish ab initio
    If you're aiming for a top-tier university, I'd say that:

HL Economics
    HL Mathematics
    HL Biology (however, Physics is better for your application)
    SL English
    SL History
    SL Spanish ab initio

Maths HL is a must for the best econ courses out there, business management is a very very soft subject and not very highly regarded. The best science for an economics course is probably Physics or Chemistry, however Bio is fine as well. Instead of business, you should definitely consider History SL, as it demonstrates essay writing abilities and is in my opinion one of the most rewarding IB subjects. The most basic thing is however to have Maths at HL.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.