Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Achilleasrn)
    If you're aiming for a top-tier university, I'd say that:

HL Economics
    HL Mathematics
    HL Biology (however, Physics is better for your application)
    SL English
    SL History
    SL Spanish ab initio

Maths HL is a must for the best econ courses out there, business management is a very very soft subject and not very highly regarded. The best science for an economics course is probably Physics or Chemistry, however Bio is fine as well. Instead of business, you should definitely consider History SL, as it demonstrates essay writing abilities and is in my opinion one of the most rewarding IB subjects. The most basic thing is however to have Maths at HL.
    Is sl history easier than HL b&M? If im doing HL math ill need to dedicate far more time on it and im afraid sl history will take more time since i havent taken it at IGCSE level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joker :P)
    Is sl history easier than HL b&M? If im doing HL math ill need to dedicate far more time on it and im afraid sl history will take more time since i havent taken it at IGCSE level
    The program I linked might not be the easier, but it's definitely doable. Higher Level biology is arguably the easier science at HL, HL Econ is a pretty soft subject as well. SL history is harder than HL B&M, but again that's pretty much the best shot you can get at top-tier unis. Besides, if you find the workload too heavy you can always make changes at the first 3 months of your IB.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The program I linked might not be the easier, but it's definitely doable. Higher Level biology is arguably the easier science at HL, HL Econ is a pretty soft subject as well. SL history is harder than HL B&M, but again that's pretty much the best shot you can get at top-tier unis. Besides, if you find the workload too heavy you can always make changes at the first 3 months of your IB.
    That's a completely subjective judgement. HL B&M has one of the smaller % of 7s, comparable even to HL Math if I remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there everyone,

I am a DP program student who is equally good at Biology and Physics, but I just can't decide between them! I am going to take Chemistry at HL anyway, I'm just not sure whether I should go for Biology or Physics for my other HL. I have no career preference as of yet, but I'd like to go into either engineering or medicine. Which of the 2 subjects is harder? And could you please list their pros and cons?

Also, for a career in engineering, is it preferable to have a 5 in HL math or a 7 in SL math?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    i am so stupid. i can't believe i took german at HL. and not english or german and english. i'm stupid stupid stupid.
    anyway. my combo is:
    German A1 HL
    English Language and Literature A1 SL
    Biology HL
    Maths SL
    History SL
    Art HL

i'm the most stupid person on the planet if not in the whole universe and beyond...

ReputationRep:
    I need help guys. I want to study business/management at university and i need to make my IB subjects decision. This is what i already have:

Physics HL
    History or Geography HL
    Economics HL
    German B SL
    English Lang/Litt SL
    Mathematics SL

1. Are those subjects good for what i want to do. by the way my mother tongue is french and i have an IGCSE and other diplomas to prove it.
    2. GEO or HISTORY? Physics HL is gonna take up so much time and im not confident i can take the two hardest subjects (physics and History in HL). :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watsupbro)
    I need help guys. I want to study business/management at university and i need to make my IB subjects decision. This is what i already have:

Physics HL
    History or Geography HL
    Economics HL
    German B SL
    English Lang/Litt SL
    Mathematics SL

1. Are those subjects good for what i want to do. by the way my mother tongue is french and i have an IGCSE and other diplomas to prove it.
    2. GEO or HISTORY? Physics HL is gonna take up so much time and im not confident i can take the two hardest subjects (physics and History in HL). :confused:

Well, when I have been talking to some IB veterans, the general concensus is that Geography is a lot less challenging (in the pure sense it won't command most of your time). I am taking HL Geo myself, as it ties quite well with Economics, so it may aid you with BM there-although it does not really make much of a difference. Overall I think your choice is sound having taken into account your uni aspirations. Hope this helps in some way:P

My full list of IB options are

Geography HL
    Economics HL
    French HL*

English SL
    Maths Methods SL
    Biology SL

I have one question by the way to everyone,

I am considering changing from HL French to HL English. Any thoughts on which would be more challenging/streneous/enjoyable. I have no real preference, (both got A* in them at IGCSE level) but I fear HL French sounds like such a huge jump into the difficult unknown.

Thanks in advance,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogmatichurricane)
    That's a completely subjective judgement. HL B&M has one of the smaller % of 7s, comparable even to HL Math if I remember correctly.
    And I'm pretty sure that SL History has even less. Although, my main point was that Universities definately judge BM HL as a softer subject that history SL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aroooney)
    Well, when I have been talking to some IB veterans, the general concensus is that Geography is a lot less challenging (in the pure sense it won't command most of your time). I am taking HL Geo myself, as it ties quite well with Economics, so it may aid you with BM there-although it does not really make much of a difference. Overall I think your choice is sound having taken into account your uni aspirations. Hope this helps in some way:P

My full list of IB options are

Geography HL
    Economics HL
    French HL*
    English SL
    Maths Methods SL
    Biology SL

I have one question by the way to everyone,

I am considering changing from HL French to HL English. Any thoughts on which would be more challenging/streneous/enjoyable. I have no real preference, (both got A* in them at IGCSE level) but I fear HL French sounds like such a huge jump into the difficult unknown.

Thanks in advance,
    Thanks for answering my Q. I'm not sure if your taking French A or B. my mother tongue is French and I took French A for Igcse and got 98% (cause we did the second language test). French is a hard language to learn but if you are fluent it's fine. I guess English is better if you wanna go to a anglophone uni.

I have a question for everyon. What subject is better for business/management, Geo HL or Hist HL. I know history is very well regarded but will be a lot of work. My main question is if Geo is good for business and managements studies?

ReputationRep:
    And I'm pretty sure that SL History has even less. Although, my main point was that Universities definately judge BM HL as a softer subject that history SL
    "I'm pretty sure" is a useless statement. So is claiming to know what universities know or want in a definitive manner. Yes, generally speaking History is preferable to B&M but it is wrong of you to claim something as a fact when, in fact, you don't know it that well, especially not if you're a current student.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, following on an earlier discussion, I would really appreciate any comments/thoughts/suggestions on the following.
    I have ambitions of going onto to study Law/Land Economy & so was wondering, do people think this combination would work well for that (and the subjects work well with each other)

Geography HL
    Economics HL
    Biology HL

English SL
    Maths Methods SL
    French SL

(Please Note, I have checked Uni course requirements where there is no general requirement for Eng/Hist at HL (to study Law), although am grateful for feedback)

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good to me except you should maybe level up your maths then again im not an expert.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logiadoevus)
    "I'm pretty sure" is a useless statement. So is claiming to know what universities know or want in a definitive manner. Yes, generally speaking History is preferable to B&M but it is wrong of you to claim something as a fact when, in fact, you don't know it that well, especially not if you're a current student.
    http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/index.cfm

"I'm pretty sure" means I've checked the statistics, which are 3% in History SL, 4% in B&M HL. I'm also not talking in a definitive or factual matter; for me, the majority of my Uni. friends and my school's two university advisers, the skills that you get with History SL (and hence the course itself) are/is much more relevant and wanted by universities than the skills you get in B&M HL (and the course). According to some reports Oxbridge even gives '- points' to an applicant who takes B&M HL.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/index.cfm

"I'm pretty sure" means I've checked the statistics, which are 3% in History SL, 4% in B&M HL. I'm also not talking in a definitive or factual matter; for me, the majority of my Uni. friends and my school's two university advisers, the skills that you get with History SL (and hence the course itself) are/is much more relevant and wanted by universities than the skills you get in B&M HL (and the course). According to some reports Oxbridge even gives '- points' to an applicant who takes B&M HL.
    Right now go check up May 2010 where they are both 3%: http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulleti...albulletin.pdf

Statistics vary from year to year and the difference between 3 and 4% is pretty negligible in any case.

Yup, I'll concede that historically History is considered a more "traditional" option - I was merely pointing out that your statement on the relative difficulty of two subjects, which you have no way of determining, is quite flawed.

With regards to that anecdote about Oxbridge, don't believe any of those stories. To begin with people don't realise that undergrad admissions actually take place at a college level and a tutor at one college does not weight different aspects of your UCAS application in the same way (my tutor for instance openly admits to have never read a personal statement in his life). And for the record, I did B&M and Econ HL at IB and was accepted for E&M at Oxford. I have friends here studying PPE, Medicine and even Maths who took B&M at HL or SL level.

It's worth pointing out that the "Business Studies" course taught at A-Level has a very different structure and content to B&M and hence, whilst the former is quite often frowned upon, the latter is not nearly as soft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogmatichurricane)
    Right now go check up May 2010 where they are both 3%: http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulleti...albulletin.pdf

Statistics vary from year to year and the difference between 3 and 4% is pretty negligible in any case.

Yup, I'll concede that historically History is considered a more "traditional" option - I was merely pointing out that your statement on the relative difficulty of two subjects, which you have no way of determining, is quite flawed.

With regards to that anecdote about Oxbridge, don't believe any of those stories. To begin with people don't realise that undergrad admissions actually take place at a college level and a tutor at one college does not weight different aspects of your UCAS application in the same way (my tutor for instance openly admits to have never read a personal statement in his life). And for the record, I did B&M and Econ HL at IB and was accepted for E&M at Oxford. I have friends here studying PPE, Medicine and even Maths who took B&M at HL or SL level.

It's worth pointing out that the "Business Studies" course taught at A-Level has a very different structure and content to B&M and hence, whilst the former is quite often frowned upon, the latter is not nearly as soft.
    Yeah I obviously agree that by taking BM you do not severely harm your application; as I said, it's not a matter of life or death. However, I -think- that you're better off with History as a student due to the amazing critical reasoning & essay writing skills you gain, which outweigh the basic Business knowledge you'll gain either way during the first 2-3 terms. A friend of mine did take SL History and HL B&M and found History a lot harder (I know it's anecdotal, but his essay writing skills were superb before the course, so that should say something about the course's quality, which I believe is one of the best offered in the IB).

ReputationRep:
    How good is Geography HL for business/management later on. Or is history way better for it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi im thinking About going to a university in Australia in Economics/financial or Engineering
    my subjects are
    Maths SL
    Spanish A SL (Self Thought)
    Physics SL
    B & M HL
    Geography HL
    English B HL

My question is if a really need Physics if decide to go to engineering? a
    Because is really hard for my that would lower my grades.
    Is it true that i can do a bridge course or something.
    I would change for BIO HL and my Geo would be SL

ReputationRep:
    1 Day Ago: 27th August 2012 17:08
    rooney10

IB choices
    Hi guys, I am going to start my first year of IB in September and I have taken HL Maths, Economics, and French. SL English, Chemistry and French.

1 How are these in general and for University courses as I want to go down the Finance, Banking Route, maybe abroad (hence the languages), but i know you can do anything at University and then turn to Finance, as its not specific.
    2 I got IGCSE A - Maths (Just missed the A star), French IGCSE - A *, And we didnt take Economics, IGCSE English A, IGCSE Spanish A* and Chemistry B. (Physics A)
    I am not sure which science to take, it is between Chemistry and Physics, I have heard Chemistry SL is an easier step up from IGCSE.
    3 Any ideas for careers?
    4 Thankyou
    Tweet 0 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omarhl13)
    Hi im thinking About going to a university in Australia in Economics/financial or Engineering
    my subjects are
    Maths SL
    Spanish A SL (Self Thought)
    Physics SL
    B & M HL
    Geography HL
    English B HL

My question is if a really need Physics if decide to go to engineering? a
    Because is really hard for my that would lower my grades.
    Is it true that i can do a bridge course or something.
    I would change for BIO HL and my Geo would be SL
    You will definitely need do HL Maths and HL Physics if you want to do Engineering. Most Universities like it if you do HL Maths for Economics as well- why haven't you chosen Economics as a subject if you intend to pursue it later on? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I'm thinking of going into a media/law related career so branching into broadcasting internationally so would this be a suitable combination? Then again, I tried to keep my options quite wide to give me the options later in life, So...
    Biology HL
    English Literature HL
    History HL
    French B SL
    Spanish ab initio SL
    Maths Studies SL

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.