Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does your school have an option of Film? Because that would help with media.

Nice subjects and admirable considering you're doing 2 languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dizmel)
    Does your school have an option of Film? Because that would help with media.

Nice subjects and admirable considering you're doing 2 languages.
    Hi thanks for the advice, unfortunately no my school doesn't offer a film option but I thought 2 languages would be suitable as I really want to get into international broadcasting of some sort thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I'm just staring ib and have been so confused on my subjects!
    I'm not too sure what I want to be.. I'm thinking of biochemistry so my subjects are at the movement: HL English, bio, chem SL history, math, Spanish
    BUT I am also really interested in maybe doing journalism! But then I would need HL History for that..
    So what do I do? Because if I did history at HL I would have to drop bio and then biochemistry would be out of the question..
    Or should I be mad enough to do all 4 at HL?

Please, any advice is really helpful!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I've just started IB and at uni I want to do International Relations or Theology or something similar. At the moment I'm doing:
    HL English
    HL French
    HL History
    SL Chemistry
    SL Maths
    Ab initio Italian

Do you think that these are suitable subjects to take for doing International Relations? At the moment Italian is way too easy for me, because I've already been doing it for three years (I can't switch to B SL because there aren't enough students for it), so I'm considering switching to either Geography or Economics, but this would mean that I'd probably get less overall on the IB because I wouldn't have the advantage of doing a language that I'm already quite good at.

What do you think? Should I change my group 6 subject?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    I'm looking for some advice on subjects as a GCSE student (haven't taken the exams yet but the decisions are being made based on mocks right now). I'm predicted at 9 A*s in my 10 subjects (I hate that english lit exam), and I'm thinking to eventually apply to uni for Natural Sciences or a pure science (fingers crossed on Oxbridge).

Currently, these are my thoughts for HL and SL:

HL -
    Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry

SL -
    English A
    French B
    Economics

My questions are on whether these options good for me, how these options are perceived by unis, how you'd consider them, possibly what future careers does this combination hold for me and whether IB itself is as taxing as people make it out to be.
    Thanks so much in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bodgy)
    Hi everyone
    I'm looking for some advice on subjects as a GCSE student (haven't taken the exams yet but the decisions are being made based on mocks right now). I'm predicted at 9 A*s in my 10 subjects (I hate that english lit exam), and I'm thinking to eventually apply to uni for Natural Sciences or a pure science (fingers crossed on Oxbridge).

Currently, these are my thoughts for HL and SL:

HL -
    Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry

SL -
    English A
    French B
    Economics

My questions are on whether these options good for me, how these options are perceived by unis, how you'd consider them, possibly what future careers does this combination hold for me and whether IB itself is as taxing as people make it out to be.
    Thanks so much in advance!
    Hey there,

You have a really balanced subject outline in my opinion.

HL Maths, Physics and Chemistry are often regarded as the 3 hardest HL subjects and doing them all will be a challenge- but if you plan to continue down the scientific path, it's the right choice.

If you continue with those 3 HL subjects, IB will be very taxing and often stressful (I know friends who've done it), but also rewarding since those are the subjects you enjoy the most.

Universities will take into account the fact that you chose the 3 hardest HLs, but you will still have to score high to have a chance at Oxbridge.

There are plenty of career paths to choose from in science, from research to corporate-level stuff, the world is full of opportunities.

All the best with IB and good luck for the future!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a huge advantage that you were actually allowed to choose Italian Ab intio, despite doing it for three years, and it would be an easy 7 for you But having said that, you may already know the whole course content so you might find it boring, depending on your teacher. Since you said that you were considering International Relations, I would strongly suggest taking Economics mainly because it is strongly relevant to your future course or study. I currently do Economics at HL, and it isn't that hard at all. It's quite interesting as well, as you'd be discussing world issues and how they relate to Economics. Don't know much about Geography so I can't help you there, but I do know that getting a 7 in Economics is quite manageable to obtain.
    Hope that helped anyway

(Original post by .Jo.)
    Hi!
    I've just started IB and at uni I want to do International Relations or Theology or something similar. At the moment I'm doing:
    HL English
    HL French
    HL History
    SL Chemistry
    SL Maths
    Ab initio Italian

Do you think that these are suitable subjects to take for doing International Relations? At the moment Italian is way too easy for me, because I've already been doing it for three years (I can't switch to B SL because there aren't enough students for it), so I'm considering switching to either Geography or Economics, but this would mean that I'd probably get less overall on the IB because I wouldn't have the advantage of doing a language that I'm already quite good at.

What do you think? Should I change my group 6 subject?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year eleven right now and I was thinking of doing the Ib. The problem is that the college I want to go to offers only very limited courses. I was thinking of doing economics or law at university.
    So here are my subjects so far:
    HL maths, HL literature, HL economics
    SL chem, SL business/SL bio, SL French B
    Should I do business or bio at SL?
    And will HL maths be easier if I've already done add maths at igcse?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sellerofdreams)
    I'm in year eleven right now and I was thinking of doing the Ib. The problem is that the college I want to go to offers only very limited courses. I was thinking of doing economics or law at university.
    So here are my subjects so far:
    HL maths, HL literature, HL economics
    SL chem, SL business/SL bio, SL French B
    Should I do business or bio at SL?
    And will HL maths be easier if I've already done add maths at igcse?

Additional maths will be helpful for HL Maths, and will also give you a much better idea of your aptitude for it (even A* candidates at normal maths GCSE will often struggle). I would advise against SL Business because many think it has too much of an overlap with economics: I think this may come from the equivalent A Levels, but it's still best to avoid it. Then again, Biology wouldn't be spectacularly useful for your courses either, but if it has to be one or the other it's probably a better bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CLS94)
    Additional maths will be helpful for HL Maths, and will also give you a much better idea of your aptitude for it (even A* candidates at normal maths GCSE will often struggle). I would advise against SL Business because many think it has too much of an overlap with economics: I think this may come from the equivalent A Levels, but it's still best to avoid it. Then again, Biology wouldn't be spectacularly useful for your courses either, but if it has to be one or the other it's probably a better bet.
    Thanks for the advice! The thing is though I'm not sure if I will be able to keep up with HL maths because I'm currently averaging a B for add maths(but A star for normal maths). I think I'll try to do bio then. I would have loved history, but my college doesn't offer it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sellerofdreams)
    Thanks for the advice! The thing is though I'm not sure if I will be able to keep up with HL maths because I'm currently averaging a B for add maths(but A star for normal maths). I think I'll try to do bio then. I would have loved history, but my college doesn't offer it.

What I would do, if you are confident enough with one of your standard level subjects and your school allows it, would be to start with 4 higher levels. That way, you can see what they're all like, and drop one if it is too challenging without having to catch up elsewhere. This is what I did, and it worked well for me, allowing me to take Anthopology HL which I didn't think I would and drop Biology to SL when it started getting a bit overwhelming. GCSEs are very poor as a predictor of performance at IB and beyond, so don't rely on them: personally, I got an A in Maths and have to work very hard to cope with SL Maths now, wheras I got a C in French and am now on course for a B at French B SL. There are many similar stories, and when it comes to uni those which publish statistics (such as Cambridge) show the correlation between GCSE grades and later performance isn't very good at all.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just started the IB and I want to do philosophy or theology at uni - most of my subjects are fine but History HL is horrible for me right now... I got an A* at GCSE but now it's nothing like I imagined it to be, and I don't think I'll get the grade I hoped for at the ened. I want to change subjects but my only other option would be to do Visual Arts (school doesn't offer very many subjects), but it's kind of regarded as a soft subject, so will it hinder my chances at going to a top uni? I'm thinking either Durham, St Andrews and maybe Oxford, although most likely the first two.

Subject combinations I'm doing now:
    History HL
    English lit HL
    Philosophy HL
    German B SL
    Mathematics SL
    Physics SL

Although if I would drop history, my subjects would be this:
    English lit HL
    Philosophy HL
    German/Physics HL
    Mathematics SL
    Visual Arts SL
    German/Physics SL
    ^ I think due to timetabling issues I'll have to do Physics HL, I've heard it's hard but I think if I put the work in I'll be capable, and I'm pretty good at German but I don't know if they'll be able to schedule me in.

So basically, will doing VA instead of History hinder my chances at a top uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venada)
    Hi, I've just started the IB and I want to do philosophy or theology at uni - most of my subjects are fine but History HL is horrible for me right now... I got an A* at GCSE but now it's nothing like I imagined it to be, and I don't think I'll get the grade I hoped for at the ened. I want to change subjects but my only other option would be to do Visual Arts (school doesn't offer very many subjects), but it's kind of regarded as a soft subject, so will it hinder my chances at going to a top uni? I'm thinking either Durham, St Andrews and maybe Oxford, although most likely the first two.

Subject combinations I'm doing now:
    History HL
    English lit HL
    Philosophy HL
    German B SL
    Mathematics SL
    Physics SL

Although if I would drop history, my subjects would be this:
    English lit HL
    Philosophy HL
    German/Physics HL
    Mathematics SL
    Visual Arts SL
    German/Physics SL
    ^ I think due to timetabling issues I'll have to do Physics HL, I've heard it's hard but I think if I put the work in I'll be capable, and I'm pretty good at German but I don't know if they'll be able to schedule me in.

So basically, will doing VA instead of History hinder my chances at a top uni?
    It would hinder you in that they would prefer History, but at the end of the day if it gives you a couple of extra points it's probably a worthwhile trade-off. Just be wary of the fact that the same could happen with Art/HL Physics: they could be different and more difficult than you expect, putting you in a worse situation as you'll already be playing catch-up with your classmates.

ReputationRep:
    They've mixed the higher and standard physics classes together, the only difference is when they teach the HL stuff that the SL students don't have to turn up to those lessons, so I won't be behind in that respect and I seem to be handling it fine now I guess I can catch up with art fairly quickly, I know I'll enjoy it more than history so I'll be willing to put the extra work in for now. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I want to go into dentistry:

Biology HL
    Chemistry HL
    History HL
    Maths Studies SL (Sixth form doesn't offer pure SL)
    English SL
    Spanish SL

Is that okay?

ReputationRep:
    This is kind of a "which IB subjects should I do" thing. Ok, I plan to study Chemistry at Oxbridge atm, Idk if this will change.

I plan to do:
    HL Chemistry
    HL Maths
    HL Geography/Latin/Economics
    SL English
    SL Mandarin ab initio (I can speak fluent Mandarin already, easy 7)
    SL Geography/Latin/Economics

Now a sixth former just came into my room (I'm at boarding school, IB next year) and he told me that HL Maths is really really really hard. Like, you need to be a genius or something. He told me not to do Latin but Economics (I chose Latin because I heard it looks good on UCAS, CV, etc.) and that Economics was relatively easy for him despite him not having prior knowledge of it before IB. So what I'm after is - your opinion on these subjects, whether you struggle or not, or some general advice that would make me change my choices. Bearing in mind currently the only career and future I want is in Chemistry, though this might change; so I want the best choices to make my life studying IB easier and my Oxbridge app/IB diploma the best possible. What do you guys suggest? I'm aiming for all A*s I/GCSEs, with my weakest subject as English. I also plan to do some early preparation, such as looking into some SL Chemistry now etc.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Bude8)
    This is kind of a "which IB subjects should I do" thing. Ok, I plan to study Chemistry at Oxbridge atm, Idk if this will change.

I plan to do:
    HL Chemistry
    HL Maths
    HL Geography/Latin/Economics
    SL English
    SL Mandarin ab initio (I can speak fluent Mandarin already, easy 7)
    SL Geography/Latin/Economics

Now a sixth former just came into my room (I'm at boarding school, IB next year) and he told me that HL Maths is really really really hard. Like, you need to be a genius or something. He told me not to do Latin but Economics (I chose Latin because I heard it looks good on UCAS, CV, etc.) and that Economics was relatively easy for him despite him not having prior knowledge of it before IB. So what I'm after is - your opinion on these subjects, whether you struggle or not, or some general advice that would make me change my choices. Bearing in mind currently the only career and future I want is in Chemistry, though this might change; so I want the best choices to make my life studying IB easier and my Oxbridge app/IB diploma the best possible. What do you guys suggest? I'm aiming for all A*s I/GCSEs, with my weakest subject as English. I also plan to do some early preparation, such as looking into some SL Chemistry now etc.
    Well I took an ab initio subject when I did the IB and even though I was actually a novice (French), I still managed a 7. Also, Economics HL is pretty simplistic. The entire first section of the Economics textbook is called "Introduction to Economics," the course is designed for people with absolutely no background in the subject. I had done the course with no prior experience and I got a 7. So take it without a doubt in mind.

Yes, Maths HL is hard. One of my boarding school friends currently studying Mathematical Theory at Princeton, who absolutely adores and lives for Maths, got a 6 in Maths HL. Then again, another friend who loathes Maths but simply has a skill for it and knows how to practice exam technique like no other got a 7 in Maths HL. It all comes down to how interested you are and how well you master exam technique. And that advice applies to all the IB subjects you take.

If you have any further Qs about the IB, feel free to ask.

Best, Arrowhead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrowhead)
    Well I took an ab initio subject when I did the IB and even though I was actually a novice (French), I still managed a 7. Also, Economics HL is pretty simplistic. The entire first section of the Economics textbook is called "Introduction to Economics," the course is designed for people with absolutely no background in the subject. I had done the course with no prior experience and I got a 7. So take it without a doubt in mind.

Yes, Maths HL is hard. One of my boarding school friends currently studying Mathematical Theory at Princeton, who absolutely adores and lives for Maths, got a 6 in Maths HL. Then again, another friend who loathes Maths but simply has a skill for it and knows how to practice exam technique like no other got a 7 in Maths HL. It all comes down to how interested you are and how well you master exam technique. And that advice applies to all the IB subjects you take.

If you have any further Qs about the IB, feel free to ask.

Best, Arrowhead.
    Thanks for the reply Arrowhead. So now I'm thinking HL Chemistry, Maths and Economics. Will choosing Economics affect my UCAS negatively if I want to study Chemistry in uni? I'm worried they might think "why didn't he choose Biology?" (I have no intention of studying medicine). I think the choices I make will give me maximum points without affecting my UCAS too much.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Thanks for the reply Arrowhead. So now I'm thinking HL Chemistry, Maths and Economics. Will choosing Economics affect my UCAS negatively if I want to study Chemistry in uni? I'm worried they might think "why didn't he choose Biology?" (I have no intention of studying medicine). I think the choices I make will give me maximum points without affecting my UCAS too much.
    Not really, it won't make any difference. You have Chemistry HL and Maths HL. I imagine that's more than enough to display your commitment to excellence (assuming you have the predictions to apply to top unis). So take Economics without any doubts, it won't harm you.

Best of luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.