Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So I just started IB and I am currently taking 4 HLs: bio, chem, geo and English lit. I have lots of work so I've decided to drop English because i know i want to study science in university.
    However I dont know if i should drop from HL literature to SL literature, or from HL literature to HL language and literature. I know lang and lit has a reputation of being easier but i wanted to know if that was really true, and if it was going to change the way universities see my application?

Plus if i do change to HL lang and lit and I still having trouble with the workload, then my only option would be SL lang and lit. would that also change the way universities regard my application?

Thank youu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anneduvi)
    Hi,
    So I just started IB and I am currently taking 4 HLs: bio, chem, geo and English lit. I have lots of work so I've decided to drop English because i know i want to study science in university.
    However I dont know if i should drop from HL literature to SL literature, or from HL literature to HL language and literature. I know lang and lit has a reputation of being easier but i wanted to know if that was really true, and if it was going to change the way universities see my application?

Plus if i do change to HL lang and lit and I still having trouble with the workload, then my only option would be SL lang and lit. would that also change the way universities regard my application?

Thank youu
    You shouldn't do 4 HLs if you don't want to - it does not affect your application. So do them if you want to, but don't if it's purely for unis - just drop to SL.

Hi,

Thank youu

If you're not interested in English at all, I suggest you just drop to SL language and literature. Since you're applying for science, (and those are your HL's), universities really will not care in the least what specific type of English you take at SL. As far as that's concerned, pick whichever level/ type of English that you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Ey, been ridiculously indecisive over my combination choices, and I've been switching it around.

Currently I have submitted

HL
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Economics

and SL
    Chinese B
    Mathematics
    Literature

and I'm thinking of getting it switched to

HL
    Economics
    Biology
    Literature

SL
    History
    Chinese B
    Mathematics

I know it looks like the biggest turnaround, but that's cause as I've been preparing for the IGCSEs, and considering what I enjoyed the most, the Econs,Bio and Lit (my new combinations) combination seemed to be the best for me. Also, I feel like the enjoyment I get from Chemistry has kinda expired, on top of the fact that I've kind of struggled with it as well. But with the new combination - I take on more subjective subjects than objective ones (for the lack of a better term in the midst of my subject combination flustering) which makes me worry that it might be harder for me to score - but that's just me because I've never immersed myself in too much of the humanities, but then I suddenly found a huge interest for. So I don't know. I don't know really sums up my indecisiveness. Also I don't know if I close too many doors if I choose to take on the new combination. Eee. Help!

and thanks
    PS: I only begin IB in January so I haven't begun it yet

ReputationRep:
    Hey, at the moment i'm doing the following subjects

HL English
    HL Economics
    Hl French

SL Psychology
    SL Biology
    SL Maths

Im thinking of changing from psychology to geography, as it will be much easier. However, i'm not sure if i should change as i do like psychology more, its just a lot more work. Im also a bit unsure about maths, and whether to drop down to studies or not. The course that i'll do in uni won't probably be maths related though.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by qawsed)
    Hey, at the moment i'm doing the following subjects

HL English
    HL Economics
    Hl French

SL Psychology
    SL Biology
    SL Maths

Im thinking of changing from psychology to geography, as it will be much easier. However, i'm not sure if i should change as i do like psychology more, its just a lot more work. Im also a bit unsure about maths, and whether to drop down to studies or not. The course that i'll do in uni won't probably be maths related though.
    We can only give you any advice if you mention what course(s) you're interested in pursuing at university. Otherwise, everything seems fine with or without the change.

ReputationRep:
    Do i need math HL to be an accountant? a chartered accountant?

Hello everyone! I'm aiming to become a chartered accountant.. and i was wondering if i need math HL to become one.. i already have economics and business as HL's.. i have to choose between english and math HL.. i tried math HL but i dont know if ill be able to cope with it.. so id like to avoid taking it.. but to become a chartered accountant do i need math HL? or will math SL suffice? and what are my chances with math SL

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thank youu
    Let me clear something up, and this comes from someone who takes two languages at HL, English Lang and Lit and Italian Lit. Language and literature is by no means the easier course. In fact, I find the syllabus much more challenging. If you are not good at literature and poetry analysis then yes, Literature is going to tough but in Language and Literature part of your assessment is just the same as in Literature (your IOC and Paper 2 are virtually the same), but additionally to this you are assessed in another range of things which makes the program much more broad and (in my and many others opinion at my school) harder to get a 7.

Furthermore, there is much more official work in Lang and Lit. In Literature, all you have to do is one 1500 word essay (+300 word reflective statement), an oral commentary of about 20 minutes and a presentation (may I add a very easy presentation where everyone gets 6s and 7s) of 10-15 minutes.
    In Language and Literature, you are required to write at least 4 written tasks, 1000words +300 word rationale each. One of them (at least) has to a traditional essay, whereas the others are " creative writing" which in my opinion is harder to get a good grade and you don't have the plethora of sources online (sparknotes, cliffnotes, etc.) to do your analysis. Additionally to this, you are required to do at least 2 further oral activities (up to 1 hour long!) which are interactive with the class and count for 15% of your grade, an IOC (internal oral commentary) which is exactly the same as in literature.

Paper 1 for Lang lit is also a comparative analysis. Although the texts CAN be simple (even a comic) do not be fooled by this, as the level of analysis required is the same as in literature! And even if the texts can be simple, on my mocks I got considerably more complicated texts for my Lang and Lit than my Italian Lit (Italian lit was some bs poem about trees).

Many people seem to think that Lang and Lit is just A2 English changed a little, but this is quite wrong. What they did is took the basic ideas of A2 (such as focus on language) and changed it to become much more challenging and at the same level as literature. The one which is harder depends on you: no doubt in L&L you have a larger workload, and are assessed over a much broader range of things. That being said, I find the course much more enjoyable than straight Literature, because you get some of the Literature while also looking at other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the IB is a joke. If I were you, I'd pick a different course, such as A-levels.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Aless)
    Furthermore, there is much more official work in Lang and Lit. In Literature, all you have to do is one 1500 word essay (+300 word reflective statement), an oral commentary of about 20 minutes and a presentation (may I add a very easy presentation where everyone gets 6s and 7s) of 10-15 minutes.
    In Language and Literature, you are required to write at least 4 written tasks, 1000words +300 word rationale each. One of them (at least) has to a traditional essay, whereas the others are " creative writing" which in my opinion is harder to get a good grade and you don't have the plethora of sources online (sparknotes, cliffnotes, etc.) to do your analysis. Additionally to this, you are required to do at least 2 further oral activities (up to 1 hour long!) which are interactive with the class and count for 15% of your grade, an IOC (internal oral commentary) which is exactly the same as in literature.
    I'd say you're making a huge generalisation here where you're supplanting your preferences for everyone's in essence. Personally, creative writing is super easy for me and that is why if I had 3/4 written internal assignments to be based on such, I would be ecstatic because it wouldn't've even been a challenge; but the 1,500-word academic written paper where you use sources, which, believe it or not, actually makes things harder for most people unused to doing research, doesn't sound as close to much fun.

An inherently fun, typified interactive oral activity as compared to a literary commentary on the merits of a particular component of a component of a book that nobody enjoyed reading, which you have to somehow make interesting and discussible in an oral format. Yeah, I think that level of difficulty between those two is pretty clear.

(Original post by Aless)
    Paper 1 for Lang lit is also a comparative analysis. Although the texts CAN be simple (even a comic) do not be fooled by this, as the level of analysis required is the same as in literature! And even if the texts can be simple, on my mocks I got considerably more complicated texts for my Lang and Lit than my Italian Lit (Italian lit was some bs poem about trees).
    Ummm...No. Even if you're expected to use the same skills for analysis as in Literature; it's fundamentally different when you try to use said skills on a complicated work of a literary scholar...and a comic strip.

(Original post by Aless)
    Many people seem to think that Lang and Lit is just A2 English changed a little, but this is quite wrong. What they did is took the basic ideas of A2 (such as focus on language) and changed it to become much more challenging and at the same level as literature. The one which is harder depends on you: no doubt in L&L you have a larger workload, and are assessed over a much broader range of things. That being said, I find the course much more enjoyable than straight Literature, because you get some of the Literature while also looking at other stuff.
    You kind of give the answer in the justification: "[you] find the course much more enjoyable than straight Literature," which eases the feel of the workload tremendously. Besides, having a greater volume of assignments doesn't make a course more challenging. Case and point: We do one 2,000-word IA in History HL but four 750-word IAs in Economics HL; quantitatively Economics IAs are much more work, but realistically, I could write an Economics IA in one night and get a 7, but a History IA takes weeks and months to get right. Quantity >/> Quality.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Doppel)
    To be honest, the IB is a joke. If I were you, I'd pick a different course, such as A-levels.
    I'm curious as to know why you think so? Because I personally found the A-Levels to be a joke and that's why I switched to the IB.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Sofia1234)
    Do i need math HL to be an accountant? a chartered accountant?

Hello everyone! I'm aiming to become a chartered accountant.. and i was wondering if i need math HL to become one.. i already have economics and business as HL's.. i have to choose between english and math HL.. i tried math HL but i dont know if ill be able to cope with it.. so id like to avoid taking it.. but to become a chartered accountant do i need math HL? or will math SL suffice? and what are my chances with math SL

Different universities look for different courses in different countries. So if you can tell us which universities in which countries you're specifically aiming for, we can probably give you some useful advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrowhead)
    I'm curious as to know why you think so? Because I personally found the A-Levels to be a joke and that's why I switched to the IB.
    I did the IB, got 44 points so it's not a question of me finding it too hard or anything, in case that was what you were suspecting (I had Bio HL, Math HL, Chem HL, History HL, Swedish A1 SL, English A2 SL). I just find the structure of the course, especially the amateuristic and disorganised marking system a joke, not to mention Theory of Knowledge which undoubtedly is a pathetic imitation of philosophy. Everything in its syllabus is so primitive and simplistic it was nothing more than a complete waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say you're making a huge generalisation here where you're supplanting your preferences for everyone's in essence. Personally, creative writing is super easy for me and that is why if I had 3/4 written internal assignments to be based on such, I would be ecstatic because it wouldn't've even been a challenge; but the 1,500-word academic written paper where you use sources, which, believe it or not, actually makes things harder for most people unused to doing research, doesn't sound as close to much fun.

An inherently fun, typified interactive oral activity as compared to a literary commentary on the merits of a particular component of a component of a book that nobody enjoyed reading, which you have to somehow make interesting and discussible in an oral format. Yeah, I think that level of difficulty between those two is pretty clear.

Ummm...No. Even if you're expected to use the same skills for analysis as in Literature; it's fundamentally different when you try to use said skills on a complicated work of a literary scholar...and a comic strip.

You kind of give the answer in the justification: "[you] find the course much more enjoyable than straight Literature," which eases the feel of the workload tremendously. Besides, having a greater volume of assignments doesn't make a course more challenging. Case and point: We do one 2,000-word IA in History HL but four 750-word IAs in Economics HL; quantitatively Economics IAs are much more work, but realistically, I could write an Economics IA in one night and get a 7, but a History IA takes weeks and months to get right. Quantity >/> Quality.
    What you're saying is fair and I take your point but as I said I take both Literature and Language and Literature at HL in two different languages and so I think I have a fair perspective on both.

Essentially, Lang & Lit is (Lit-repetitive parts)+creative stuff and language. The courses both have the Oral Commentary with exactly the same requirements. It is the 10 minute oral presentation in literature, which you must agree is very easy, which is replaced by 2 oral activities, which although are largely creative require quite a bit of preparation in order to be able to talk for 45-60 minutes. Both courses therefore include the harder IOC and a second, easier oral component, which in Lang Lit is considerably more time-consuming.

Of the (at least) 4 written tasks you do in Lang Lit, only 3 are "creative", which depending on who you are may be easier or harder accordingly. However, the "written task 2" is a traditional essay just like the "literature in translation" essay from the Lit course, but 500 words shorter (800-1000 rather than 1200-1500).

As a last point, the "estimated mark-bands" for Lang&Lit released by the IB are higher (Paper 1 18/20 for a 7 rather than typical 17/20 for lit, don't know p2 off the top of my head). Even if you find the Lang & Lit p1 Comparative analysis easier than the Lit p1 commentary, the markband is higher.

The point of my post wasn't to instigate any arguments between Lit and Lang & Lit students, rather to advise people who think that by switching from Lit to Lang & Lit they are "dropping" and making their IB easier that this may not (and probably will not) be the case. Since no students have sat the examination yet we can't look at statistics for overall grades and component grades to make any sort of (however fallacious) conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    Different universities look for different courses in different countries. So if you can tell us which universities in which countries you're specifically aiming for, we can probably give you some useful advice.
    Probably a university in america.. theres no specific ones at the moment.. what do most of them prefer?
    or AUS (american university of sharjah) in the UAE

People are here on this thread because they've already decided to do the IB and want to know about subjects. Posting something like this is completely unhelpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saachi)
    People are here on this thread because they've already decided to do the IB and want to know about subjects. Posting something like this is completely unhelpful.
    On the contrary, I was trying to help people stay away from the IB.

On the contrary, I was trying to help people stay away from the IB.
    Won't help if people have already decided. If you really want to help people stay away from the IB go post in the "Should I take IB or A-levels?" threads rather than this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saachi)
    Won't help if people have already decided. If you really want to help people stay away from the IB go post in the "Should I take IB or A-levels?" threads rather than this one.
    I apologise. I only saw this one pop up at the "latest discussions" and thought this was the only IB thread.

I apologise. I only saw this one pop up at the "latest discussions" and thought this was the only IB thread.
    There are TONS of IB or A-levels threads, they keep cropping up every two weeks or so

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.