Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How's this subject combination if I wanted to do a geography degree (possibly combined with global studies/hong kong studies/spanish)?

English A1 Literature HL
    Spanish B HL
    Geography HL

Biology SL
    Maths Studies SL
    History SL

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm thinking of going either into engineering or economics and I intend taking these subjects:
    HL Mathematics
    HL Physics
    HL Economics
    SL German A1
    SL English B
    SL Spanish ab initio

My question: If I'm aiming for a top university, will taking English B instead of taking English A2 (I'm a German student and I will do my IB in England) and Spanish ab initio put me in a disadvantage? Some people say universities only look on your Higher Levels other say universities like LSE or Cambridge prefer A Languages and don't like ab initio languages so I am a little bit confused
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobi7623)
    Hello I'm thinking of going either into engineering or economics and I intend taking these subjects:
    HL Mathematics
    HL Physics
    HL Economics
    SL German A1
    SL English B
    SL Spanish ab initio

My question: If I'm aiming for a top university, will taking English B instead of taking English A2 (I'm a German student and I will do my IB in England) and Spanish ab initio put me in a disadvantage? Some people say universities only look on your Higher Levels other say universities like LSE or Cambridge prefer A Languages and don't like ab initio languages so I am a little bit confused
    Thanks in advance!
    The Ab Initio language is not much of an issue, but English B SL probably is: many would require B HL standard, or at least some equivalent to it that is significantly above B SL anyway. Going by the fact your post uses nearly perfect English and you haven't even started the course yet, I would recommend you ask your school/college if you can take it as a 4th higher level subject

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your quick reply! Taking a 4th Higher Level subject wouldn't be a problem but isn't taking English A2 SL a better idea? Is the workload in English A2 SL or English B HL higher? Because I think my subject combination is quite tough especially HL maths and physics so I don't want to make my combination more difficult. Furthermore I am not good at writing essays or analyzing texts so I want to take the option I have to do as few as possible things like this.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your quick reply! Taking a 4th Higher Level subject wouldn't be a problem but isn't taking English A2 SL a better idea? Is the workload in English A2 SL or English B HL higher? Because I think my subject combination is quite tough especially HL maths and physics so I don't want to make my combination more difficult. Furthermore I am not good at writing essays or analyzing texts so I want to take the option I have to do as few as possible things like this.
    English A2 no longer exists as a subject: Instead of A2, there is now Literature (formerly A1) or Language & Literature. Lang/Lit is harder than the previous A2 course, arguably as hard as Lit for some students and is designed for native students. If you think you would be able to cope with it by all means go ahead, but it is harder and you would have to analyse literature as well as media etc in English. If it is available to you it will mean you wouldn't have to take an additional english language competency test before uni though, so I would suggest you try it and then move to B HL should it be too challenging. In any case, stay away from B SL English at all costs if you want to study in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    But why is it so important to take something above English B SL? Will taking English B SL and doing an additional English language competency test before university decrease my chances getting into a top university?
    Thanks for your answers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    But why is it so important to take something above English B SL? Will taking English B SL and doing an additional English language competency test before university decrease my chances getting into a top university?
    Thanks for your answers
    Not really, if you do well on the IELTS/TOEFL exam, I don't see why it would be a problem for you at all. But it would show that you pushed yourself and get you a better looking application with a higher level of English. Of course this will only matter if you're applying to university somewhere in the UK or the US.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I will talk to my school and decide what level of English to take.
    Thanks for your answers

Thanks for your answers
    Most UK universities will require English A1 at Standard Level at a minimum grade of 4. Have a look through their entry requirements, though, and even call a couple and ask- better safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have the opposite problem to the earlier poster, my choices are
    English Lit HL
    German Lang & Lit SL
    History HL
    Physics HL
    French B HL
    Maths SL
    My question is can i make the school let me take German Lang & Lit, I live in Germany and am acing IGCSE German second language. My Teacher last year recommended I move to native German but the class was full and I am on the 2nd language track so no go there. With the IB it is a new start (same school) and we can choose what we want, but I am worried they will try to stop me doing this.

If I can't my choices will be
    German B HL
    French B SL
    History HL
    English Lit HL
    Physics HL
    Maths SL
    I need the Physics for the German universities and that is why I want the highest possible German so I can study here. Also I love languages and want to study them in University.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a degree in economics or something related and I am not sure what is best for me. I am looking at Warwick, LSE etc. * = undecided

At the moment I am thinking of
    HL Maths
    HL Economics
    *HL Psychology/Law

SL English
    Abi Inito Italian
    *SL Psychology/Biology/Law

i find Law interesting and enjoyable but I'm not sure if universities value it. I also like psychology interesting but I'm not sure if it is valued. I am not too keen on biology however would that be best for uni. Thank youThank you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by kdevitto)
    I want to do a degree in economics or something related and I am not sure what is best for me. I am looking at Warwick, LSE etc. * = undecided

At the moment I am thinking of
    HL Maths
    HL Economics
    *HL Psychology/Law

SL English
    Abi Inito Italian
    *SL Psychology/Biology/Law

i find Law interesting and enjoyable but I'm not sure if universities value it. I also like psychology interesting but I'm not sure if it is valued. I am not too keen on biology however would that be best for uni. Thank youThank you
    LSE specifically says that 'Law' is one of its non-preferred subjects. So I would take it at SL if at all. Personally, I would advise you to take Psychology/Biology HL/SL as you see fit, I think that would put you in the best steed for a future app to LSE.

I would also look into Further Maths HL, see if your school offers it.

Best of luck!
    Arrowhead.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I would like to study architecture and this is what I think my palette will look like:

English A1 SL
    German A1 SL
    ESS SL
    Physics HL
    Math HL
    Visual Arts HL

That would be a bilingual diploma. From experience I think I'd be able to pull off both German and English at ease, even at HL. So that shouldn't be a problem. What's more, if I want to study in Germany German would ofc be helpful. BUT at the same time it's kinda standard over there to know 2 foreign languages, and I only know German and English...I could learn Spanish ab initio because I have a bit of Portuguese in me. I would like to as well. But I have to make a choice here:what's more preferable? And what is so great about the bilingual diploma anyway?

Ideally, I would have loved to do Design Technology. Our IB coordinator told me that they sometimes make exeptions and allow you to take another Group 4 and no Group 3 at all(thus replacing ESS in my choice, which is more of a filler anyway). But I'm shifting to Mumbai, and there is only one school that offers it. And, no German there. It would be a gamble, as I dont know if Ècole Mondiale is one of those Indian schools that are on an egotrip and push their students to the limit.

Finally, I'm scared of Math HL. I find math interesting but I'm not much above average when it comes to grades. I'm got 70-80% throughout school. The switch from MYP to IGSCE in class 9 was a minor trauma for me in maths. I have the feeling I'll need HL to get into architecture smoothly, and that it will help me a great deal. But is it really that necessary? Isnt a good SL grade better than a bad HL one? I'd much rather work hard for English A1 at HL and focus more on art...

Having said all that, I'm quite confused :P I hope the workload will be manageable, please help me out!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'd also like to study engineering in the future; however, I'm split on what to choose for my HL subject. I say "subject" because everybody is required to HL English and history where I live, so I'm left to select another HL option. I really want to HL Mathematics because I love math, and have done exceptionally well in the past. On the other hand, physics also deeply interests me. So, I'm wondering if it would be feasible to HL all four core subjects. My school does permit it, but I'm still questioning whether I would be setting myself up for failure.

(Leaving my SLs as economics and french).

I would appreciate any guidance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladeith)
    Hi, I'd also like to study engineering in the future; however, I'm split on what to choose for my HL subject. I say "subject" because everybody is required to HL English and history where I live, so I'm left to select another HL option. I really want to HL Mathematics because I love math, and have done exceptionally well in the past. On the other hand, physics also deeply interests me. So, I'm wondering if it would be feasible to HL all four core subjects. My school does permit it, but I'm still questioning whether I would be setting myself up for failure.

(Leaving my SLs as economics and french).

I would appreciate any guidance!
    I really think you should... Many universities will actually not accept you without higher Maths and Physics for engineering, so that's a must. Can you not drop History or English to SL under any circumstances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Achilleasrn)
    I really think you should... Many universities will actually not accept you without higher Maths and Physics for engineering, so that's a must. Can you not drop History or English to SL under any circumstances?

Unfortunately not, my school doesn't offer English or History at SL.
    So it would obviously be a lot of work, and I really do think I'm capable of doing it. However, all I hear about physics and math HL is that they're absolutely brutal... is this just an overstatement or is it really that difficult?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ladeith)
    Unfortunately not, my school doesn't offer English or History at SL.
    So it would obviously be a lot of work, and I really do think I'm capable of doing it. However, all I hear about physics and math HL is that they're absolutely brutal... is this just an overstatement or is it really that difficult?
    Well, you could easily attend HL English and History classes but sit the SL exam. As far as History is concerned, the HL and SL syllabus for Papers 1 and 2 is exactly the same. The difference is the extra module that HL students study for Paper 3. For English, again the requirements are exactly the same (and with the new syllabus, the 2 World Lit papers that HLs had to write is reduced to one as well), the main difference is the level of analysis and commentary expected from you as an SL student is somewhat lesser than an HL one. Basically a solid SL English mark of 6, would probably be a mid-to-low 5 by HL standards. So I would suggest you negotiate with your school and tell them that you'd rather take English or History at HL. You're happy to attend the HL classes for the school years and do the required class work, but your coursework would stay SL and the exams as well.

If this is unconventional at your school, then I suggest making this request for SL History because the coursework for SL and HL History is the same (the 2,000-word Research Paper) and in fact being marked by HL standards will only benefit you. You can do the Paper 3 module for class and school work, but skip it for IB exam revision. This is actually very common. At my old school, all the SL and HL History classes were combined for the 1st year of the IB and about a quarter of the 2nd year, then the SLs would attend HL material-classes for schoolwork alone, but not revise any of that for the IB exams.

It was also similar with Economics where the SL students would be combined with HL ones and do all the HL coursework, even if it didn't come in their syllabus, because it made them stronger students in the exam.

For Engineering, you should definitely have HL Maths and Physics, even more so if these are the subjects that interest. It's quite arbitrary for your school to disallow you in such a manner.

If things don't work out your way, take all 4 at HL. It's not as bad as some of the people on TSR make it out to be. A friend of mine, who was no extraordinary student I should add, who loved the Sciences deeply, did Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology HL in the IB alongside 3 SLs (a 7-subject load), and he managed to get some really good scores and is now doing Medicine. It's not hard if you like the subjects and it this is what you want to study.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am in desperate need of some advice:
    I am completely torn between humanities and sciences. I love both. I always thought I'd go into humanities but I'm loving the sciences at IGCSE level.
    I thought I'd take Biology and Chemistry HL to keep my options in the sciences open, but I find chemistry quite hard and wouldn't want it to bring down my score (I'll be aiming for around 38-40). Is chem HL a lot harder than it is at gcse/igcse? For my third HL, I don't know whether to do English Lit or French. I really enjoy both.
    It also doesn't help that I have the option of doing a levels and keep changing my mind about whether I want to do IB or A levels. Any advice would be appreciated

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neverme)
    Hello I am in desperate need of some advice:
    I am completely torn between humanities and sciences. I love both. I always thought I'd go into humanities but I'm loving the sciences at IGCSE level.
    I thought I'd take Biology and Chemistry HL to keep my options in the sciences open, but I find chemistry quite hard and wouldn't want it to bring down my score (I'll be aiming for around 38-40). Is chem HL a lot harder than it is at gcse/igcse? For my third HL, I don't know whether to do English Lit or French. I really enjoy both.
    It also doesn't help that I have the option of doing a levels and keep changing my mind about whether I want to do IB or A levels. Any advice would be appreciated

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    All subjects are much harder at IB than school, but Chemistry is supposedly a huge jump, many who take it find it very difficult. If your interested in it, why not ask if you can give it a god for the first 1/2 term or so, and then change to a different HL if not?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Is chem HL a lot harder than it is at gcse/igcse?
    Yes, it is definitely lightyears harder, there is no comparison. I know people who had A*s in IGCSE/GCSE Sciences and struggled to get 4s and 5s in their IB HL versions. I'd keep Chem at SL in that regard, especially if you already find it hard at IGCSE.

My personal opinion has always been that people who know, with a lot of certainty, what they would like read at university, should always do A-Levels. It gets them to their universities and course of choice with a little less hassle and they don't have to deal with subjects they're uninterested in.

But if you don't know/are unsure and need more time to decide where'd you like to be at University, IB is always a better option. It exposes you to a wider range of reading and academia, you might find something you never even knew you would have liked (certainly how I felt about Economics when I did the IB).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.