Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Maths is probably the hardest subject though, I think he may struggle a bit
    That's true, but without it your ruling out a huge number of unis for physics/economics degrees. It's worth a try, and of he can't handle HL Maths there's good odds he couldn't handle those maths-intensive degrees anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm trying this again :P
    Hey http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/4.20/i...lies/smile.png

I am a new IB student and am in need of some advice!. Currently my subjects are:

English Literature HL
    Psychology HL
    Business and Management HL
    French HL
    Biology SL
    Maths SL

However, I am seriously considering taking IB History. I did not take it at IGCSE level, although I have the OK from several history teachers to do it and catch up. I find History a very interesting subject and regret not taking it before, and I also think it provides some very valuable skills. My problem is that I am unsure of what I want to do after I have finished school; I have considered the fields of Psychology, English/Journalism/Publishing.

Would it be worth it to take up this subject from near scratch? Which between Psychology and business would be better to drop for History given my uncertainty of the future? Should I consider it as a seventh subject?

Sorry for all the questions :P I would really appreciate some advice!
    Thanks! http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/4.20/i...lies/smile.png

ReputationRep:
    a a

ReputationRep:
    Just an information for every non native English speaker considering to participate in the IB Diploma Program: I have talked to my school and it turned out that students taking English B SL were accepted at Oxford and Cambridge without an additional test. There was only one Japanese guy who has not spoken a single word English 18 months ago and Cambridge wanted an additional test. But he was the exception, in most of the cases it was not a problem.
    Just an information if you are in this situation. Good luck with your subject choices!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobi7623)
    Just an information for every non native English speaker considering to participate in the IB Diploma Program: I have talked to my school and it turned out that students taking English B SL were accepted at Oxford and Cambridge without an additional test. There was only one Japanese guy who has not spoken a single word English 18 months ago and Cambridge wanted an additional test. But he was the exception, in most of the cases it was not a problem.
    Just an information if you are in this situation. Good luck with your subject choices!

Really?! That surprises me hugely, I take SL French B and am looking at a grade 6 hopefully - there's no way I'd have the confidence to go an take a degree in France! It says a lot they'd want HL just to study French in England. Seem very odd.

ReputationRep:
    I only wrote what my school said. And going by the fact that the IB is taught in English you have to have a solid understanding of the English language to comprehend what the teacher says. Maybe universities think that a high IB score even with English B SL shows that your English is good enough to study there.
    And again I only quote my school, I was suprised too but it seems to be like this although the situation is 'not absolutely crystal clear'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobi7623)
    I only wrote what my school said. And going by the fact that the IB is taught in English you have to have a solid understanding of the English language to comprehend what the teacher says. Maybe universities think that a high IB score even with English B SL shows that your English is good enough to study there.
    And again I only quote my school, I was suprised too but it seems to be like this although the situation is 'not absolutely crystal clear'.

I know, just surprised, that's all And yeah maybe if your taught in English too, but I think it can be run in French or Spanish as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently in the MYP program and have to chose my IB subjects soon. Here is what I have decided so far:

HL:
    Physics
    Computer Science
    (Not too sure. Thinking business, chemistry or economics (however it's an online course, such as computer science, so I don't know).

SL:
    Math
    Spanish Abitio
    English

Do you think these subjects are good for wanting to take computer science in university? What should my third higher be? Is chemistry too hard?

I also have NO interest in a UK school, just in the United States. What subjects should I take to get into a technology institue (Caltech/MIT for example)?

Thanks peeps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sailormouse)
    Hi, I am currently in the MYP program and have to chose my IB subjects soon. Here is what I have decided so far:

HL:
    Physics
    Computer Science
    (Not too sure. Thinking business, chemistry or economics (however it's an online course, such as computer science, so I don't know).

SL:
    Math
    Spanish Abitio
    English

Do you think these subjects are good for wanting to take computer science in university? What should my third higher be? Is chemistry too hard?

I also have NO interest in a UK school, just in the United States. What subjects should I take to get into a technology institue (Caltech/MIT for example)?

Thanks peeps!
    Take HL Mathematics, it is most important to study Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I have to choose my IB courses soon and as of now these are the courses I'm currently considering:

HL
    Business & Management
    Economics
    English A1 Lang/Lit

SL
    Spanish Ab initio
    Math
    Biology

I am thinking of entering the business field in uni. Do you guys think that these are the right courses for my career path?
    Thank you in advance :~)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkberries)
    Hi, so I have to choose my IB courses soon and as of now these are the courses I'm currently considering:

HL
    Business & Management
    Economics
    English A1 Lang/Lit

SL
    Spanish Ab initio
    Math
    Biology

I am thinking of entering the business field in uni. Do you guys think that these are the right courses for my career path?
    Thank you in advance :~)
    As a general rule, it isn't recommended if you want to go to uni in the UK to study both Business and Economics as there's quite a lot of content overlap. Ideally, you should get rid of Business, move Maths to HL (if you can handle it - it isn't crucial for business, but is if you decide to apply for economics) and then do one other SL of your choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CLS94)
    As a general rule, it isn't recommended if you want to go to uni in the UK to study both Business and Economics as there's quite a lot of content overlap. Ideally, you should get rid of Business, move Maths to HL (if you can handle it - it isn't crucial for business, but is if you decide to apply for economics) and then do one other SL of your choice
    Does the same rule apply for uni in the US / Canada / Australia?

And I can't move maths to HL because of my current tenth grade math level, which only allows me to go for SL
    So pretty much the SL has to remain how it is. What other social studies can I do instead of business for HL that would be helpful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkberries)
    Does the same rule apply for uni in the US / Canada / Australia?

And I can't move maths to HL because of my current tenth grade math level, which only allows me to go for SL
    So pretty much the SL has to remain how it is. What other social studies can I do instead of business for HL that would be helpful?
    I'm afraid I don't know there, as I've never looked at any depth into applying to uni outside of the UK

That's fine - Maths HL is very challenging anyway. Just bear in mind it means you can't do economics at many of the top unis in the UK. As for other social studies, it shouldn't matter too much, just something to show you have different skills. Depending on the syllabus your school offers, there may be some economic history in the history course, so that could be worth looking at. There's also an economic organisation module available as part of Social and Cultural Anthropology, but you'll again have to check if it's taken at your school. The other subject I'd recommend for business/economic stuff would probably be Geography, as you'll most likely discuss things like global development that would be relevant. If there's anything that particularly interests you though, I'd go for it - it really shouldn't make much of a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notebooker)
    Ok, I'm trying this again :P
    Hey http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/4.20/i...lies/smile.png

I am a new IB student and am in need of some advice!. Currently my subjects are:

English Literature HL
    Psychology HL
    Business and Management HL
    French HL
    Biology SL
    Maths SL

However, I am seriously considering taking IB History. I did not take it at IGCSE level, although I have the OK from several history teachers to do it and catch up. I find History a very interesting subject and regret not taking it before, and I also think it provides some very valuable skills. My problem is that I am unsure of what I want to do after I have finished school; I have considered the fields of Psychology, English/Journalism/Publishing.

Would it be worth it to take up this subject from near scratch? Which between Psychology and business would be better to drop for History given my uncertainty of the future? Should I consider it as a seventh subject?

Sorry for all the questions :P I would really appreciate some advice!
    Thanks! http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/4.20/i...lies/smile.png
    Hey,
    If you are slightly considering going into psychology then keep it, it is one of those subjects you need a goo background of for further study. At the end of the day it is your choice whether you feel you enjoy history enough but most of the marks will come from your essay writing skills.
    Personally I wouldn't consider it as a 7th subject, especially when you are already looking to do 4 HL subjects, there just isn't enough time in the day :P
    Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions

ReputationRep:
    HELLO

I need some help picking between

SL History
    SL Geography

As of right now I have chosen:

HL Bio
    HL Chem
    HL Mandarin B
    SL Eng Lit
    SL maths
    SL *choose between the two subjects*

Help! How do they compare? Which is an easier 7 ?(having taken grade boundaries, revision time and content to consideration)

Which do universities in the UK prefer? I will be doing natural sciences in uni!!!
    (ideally taking modules/joint honors in anthropology if given the opportunity)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammionne239)
    HELLO

SL History
    SL Geography

HL Bio
    HL Chem
    HL Mandarin B
    SL Eng Lit
    SL maths

Help! How do they compare? Which is an easier 7 ?(having taken grade boundaries, revision time and content to consideration)

Which do universities in the UK prefer? I will be doing natural sciences in uni!!!
    Considering you are doing Natural Sciences, are you sure 1 science is enough?
    Check the UCAS website for requirements in UK universities.
    Sample: (Natural Science BSc from Cambridge Uni)

AcceptabilityAcceptable on its own & combined with other qualifications
    Subjects and grades requiredTypical offers are 40-42 points out of 45, including 7,7,6 or 7,7,7 in Higher Level subjects.

What is easier of the two, I cannot say (I'm doing Cambridge IGCSE, but I got many friends who are doing IB)

Depends upon the person I guess, I would find Geography easy but boring and History hard but interesing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammionne239)
    HELLO

SL History
    SL Geography

HL Bio
    HL Chem
    HL Mandarin B
    SL Eng Lit
    SL maths

History IA is a LOT easier than Geography but the Geography cotent is insultingly easy. I do both at Higher. The advantage is there is no Paper 3 in either. I would go for history if I were you

ReputationRep:
    Can i take two subjects from group?
    for example: english language and literature. AND english literature

ReputationRep:
    Does Portuguese ab initio exist?

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Next year I'll be doing IB and I'm freaking out about the subjects I have chosen, cause I'm not sure if they're the right ones for me.
    I chose:

HL English Lit & Lang
    HL French
    HL Geography (OR HL Economics) + HL Psychology
    SL Maths
    SL Biology

I just found out that Geography and Economics are both running in the same period, so I can't do it. And I don't know which one to choose. Also, since I can't pick them both, they're forcing me to take Psychology (since the other options are IT and Visual Arts).
    I really don't know which one to take, I'm naturally good at Geography, it's so easy for me and very interesting. But I've never taken Economics but it also interests me and I feel that Economics could get me more job opportunities. I'm not sure what I want to be when I'm older, anything with speaking languages (I know French, Spanish, English and German) and travelling, I thought about International or PR but not sure if Geography is suitable to do either?
    Pleaseee help.
    And what is Psychology really? It seems so boring, everyone in my year really excited about it, but it seems soooo boring and useless, since you're usually given the option to study it during uni.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.