Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N Kay)
    Hey all,

Next year I'll be doing IB and I'm freaking out about the subjects I have chosen, cause I'm not sure if they're the right ones for me.
    I chose:

HL English Lit & Lang
    HL French
    HL Geography (OR HL Economics) + HL Psychology
    SL Maths
    SL Biology

I just found out that Geography and Economics are both running in the same period, so I can't do it. And I don't know which one to choose. Also, since I can't pick them both, they're forcing me to take Psychology (since the other options are IT and Visual Arts).
    I really don't know which one to take, I'm naturally good at Geography, it's so easy for me and very interesting. But I've never taken Economics but it also interests me and I feel that Economics could get me more job opportunities. I'm not sure what I want to be when I'm older, anything with speaking languages (I know French, Spanish, English and German) and travelling, I thought about International or PR but not sure if Geography is suitable to do either?
    Pleaseee help.
    And what is Psychology really? It seems so boring, everyone in my year really excited about it, but it seems soooo boring and useless, since you're usually given the option to study it during uni.
    Do Geo, its conceptually easier.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I think I'll be choosing it. But do you think it's better if I take an extra language instead of psychology?
    Sorry for all the questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i will be doing the IB diploma programme from next year. I live in India . I was thinking of choosing
    English HL (I'm quite good at English)
    French SL (I like french but I couldn't do hl)
    Business & Management HL ( business is my best subject)
    Environment Systems & Societies SL (idk)
    Mathematics SL ( I'm okay at math)
    Psycology HL (seems interesting, I've never done it before)

i want to do business or law or journalism,so are these good subject choices ? What else could I do with these subjects? I would like to apply to a good university like NYU or Oxford or maybe even Stanford. I don't really know what extra curriculars I could do because I don't have many options and I'm not good at sports. I'm a pretty good student though.

ReputationRep:
    I want to study psychology at a British university.
    I know I want to take:
    Chem HL
    Bio HL
    French HL
    Eng Lit SL
    Maths SL (would take studies to get an "easy" 7, but psychology involves quite a bit of maths)

I'm not sure whether to take Business and Management SL or History SL.
    I really enjoy history but business and management would allow me to try something new and different.
    I've also hear B&M is easier, is this true? Which would involve more/less work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neverme)
    I want to study psychology at a British university.
    I know I want to take:
    Chem HL
    Bio HL
    French HL
    Eng Lit SL
    Maths SL (would take studies to get an "easy" 7, but psychology involves quite a bit of maths)

I'm not sure whether to take Business and Management SL or History SL.
    I really enjoy history but business and management would allow me to try something new and different.
    I've also hear B&M is easier, is this true? Which would involve more/less work?
    Your pretty much right, B/M is easier, History I personally think more interesting but slightly more work. Very much manageable though, particularly at SL, and it won't make any difference for a Psychology course, so I'd really go for whichever interests you more as that gives you the best chance of having the motivation to go for the top grades anyway

ReputationRep:
    Anybody?

ReputationRep:
    Trisha. I'm not really sure, but I think if you want to do anything with law, you have to do history. I think! Don't take my word on it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N Kay)
    Trisha. I'm not really sure, but I think if you want to do anything with law, you have to do history. I think! Don't take my word on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, don't take her word for it. You don't need History to take law. You don't need any specific subjects to do law, just traditional ones. A girl I know is applying with Physics maths and economics and she got into LSE for Law.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello every one chose biology HL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N Kay)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I'd disagree with this I'm afraid! I'm just doing my final IB exams now and I have had offers from top 10 unis and firmed Nottingham with English, geography, psychology at HL and DT, maths studies and Italian ab initio at standard. My advice would be to treat your HL selections as you would a levels, make sure they are fairly traditional (English/geoggers) or require essay writing (hence psycho) but as for your standards, play a points game! Make them pretty easy, the main focus of the unis will be on your highers unless you are applying to Oxbridge/UCL/LSE so no need to make life harder with difficult standards. IMPORTANT THOUGH: write your EE in something law related, it looks good on your personal statement. Also, try to get an article published in some sort of legal publication, blog etc, it will show that you invest time and thought into the subject and already comprehend legal concepts. Finally, do TONS of legal work experience in your first IB summer holiday, it's not a "requirement" but they like it if you know what you're headed into/seem almost unhealthily obsessed with it :P ooh one last thing, make sure that you have a life, get some hobbies going that count for CAS but are completely unrelated and maybe slightly whacky, skydiving would make you really stick out in a pile of applications bonne chance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, what about getting into NYU? Will IB help if I want to do law or business?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trisha_)
    Thanks guys, what about getting into NYU? Will IB help if I want to do law or business?
    You can't do law as an undergraduate in the states. It might contribute a bit, but SATs are much more important

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!

I'm taking the IB Diploma next year, but I'm not sure if I really want to stick to these subjects. This is the subject combo I've decided so far:

Math HL (It is interesting for me)
    English Lit A HL (A challenge since its not my first language, but I like reading fiction)
    Psychology HL (It seems interesting but I've never done it before)
    Chinese Lang/Lit A SL (I'm quite good at Chinese)
    Chem SL (I'm okay about it)
    Physics SL (I'm interested about quantum physics but I don't really know if that's taught or not, and I feel that some concepts are hard to grasp)

Now I'm wondering whether I should swap physics/chem for bio because psychology requires bio. And recently I have been researching about economics and that seems interesting as well. So I really want to know the difference between psychology and economics (in terms of the requirements and syllables), and which one is worthier to take. If I take both I would swap physics/chem for the other social science, so the question would be which one to take at HL.

And now I haven't really confirmed which profession I should take. However, it would definitely not be science, but something on the humanities side.

Please help me and give me some suggestions > <

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueboat)
    Hi Everyone!

I'm taking the IB Diploma next year, but I'm not sure if I really want to stick to these subjects. This is the subject combo I've decided so far:

Math HL (It is interesting for me)
    English Lit A HL (A challenge since its not my first language, but I like reading fiction)
    Psychology HL (It seems interesting but I've never done it before)
    Chinese Lang/Lit A SL (I'm quite good at Chinese)
    Chem SL (I'm okay about it)
    Physics SL (I'm interested about quantum physics but I don't really know if that's taught or not, and I feel that some concepts are hard to grasp)

Now I'm wondering whether I should swap physics/chem for bio because psychology requires bio. And recently I have been researching about economics and that seems interesting as well. So I really want to know the difference between psychology and economics (in terms of the requirements and syllables), and which one is worthier to take. If I take both I would swap physics/chem for the other social science, so the question would be which one to take at HL.

And now I haven't really confirmed which profession I should take. However, it would definitely not be science, but something on the humanities side.

Please help me and give me some suggestions > <
    Hi there, word of warning - those choices make an exceptionally tough IB and may well be a nightmare to deal with come exam time. First of all, if you don't know about the perils of maths HL then I would look them up, I have about 8 friends who are all very smart (oxbridge material) who have dropped out of HL maths so you need to be absolutely exceptional at it to succeed (four of them had already done AS level maths and even they found it hell!) The other highers seem good, english isnt too heavy on revision but one of the exams is writing about four different books closed text so you need to be diligent with your revision later in the course to avoid a panic at the end. HL psychology is awesome, if you decide to take it, PM me and I will send my notes over if you want, I wrote up all the essays they could ask in the exam and I'm predicted a 7 so they are of a decent quality. I don't really know about chinese SL so I wont comment, just be careful going heavy on the SL sciences, they are soooo revision heavy and it becomes a nightmare at the end because there is lots to get through and its hard to fit the whole course in. Also, consider what I mentioned above to Trisha, Universities in the UK don't place much emphasis on the standards. Offers are usually things like *40 points with 776 at HL* or *36 points with 18 at HL including Physics*, standards are rarely mentioned so my advice would be to make them easier. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5tribal)
    Hi there, word of warning - those choices make an exceptionally tough IB and may well be a nightmare to deal with come exam time. First of all, if you don't know about the perils of maths HL then I would look them up, I have about 8 friends who are all very smart (oxbridge material) who have dropped out of HL maths so you need to be absolutely exceptional at it to succeed (four of them had already done AS level maths and even they found it hell!) The other highers seem good, english isnt too heavy on revision but one of the exams is writing about four different books closed text so you need to be diligent with your revision later in the course to avoid a panic at the end. HL psychology is awesome, if you decide to take it, PM me and I will send my notes over if you want, I wrote up all the essays they could ask in the exam and I'm predicted a 7 so they are of a decent quality. I don't really know about chinese SL so I wont comment, just be careful going heavy on the SL sciences, they are soooo revision heavy and it becomes a nightmare at the end because there is lots to get through and its hard to fit the whole course in. Also, consider what I mentioned above to Trisha, Universities in the UK don't place much emphasis on the standards. Offers are usually things like *40 points with 776 at HL* or *36 points with 18 at HL including Physics*, standards are rarely mentioned so my advice would be to make them easier. Best of luck!
    Thanks for the advice! I know that math HL is very very hard, but I'm willing to try it out, and my teacher also recommended me to go for HL, so I think I'll stick to it. Thanks for the offer for the psychology essays too! And I'm also wondering whether I should swap one of the sciences for bio because psychology is more related to bio? Are they really interconnected? Or should I switch one of them for econ? Is econ's revision load less than these sciences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueboat)
    Thanks for the advice! I know that math HL is very very hard, but I'm willing to try it out, and my teacher also recommended me to go for HL, so I think I'll stick to it. Thanks for the offer for the psychology essays too! And I'm also wondering whether I should swap one of the sciences for bio because psychology is more related to bio? Are they really interconnected? Or should I switch one of them for econ? Is econ's revision load less than these sciences?
    No problem congratulations, you passed the test. I'm sure you'll do great at Maths HL and the only way you can is if you are committed to it which it sounds as if you are. Well psychology is related to bio but its no where near as much depth as you would get in a bio course. All we really cover in psycho is: Hormones, Neurotransmitters, Synapses, Brain composition and the effects of abnormal physiology. The nice thing is that if you do biology you will find psychology much easier as you will grasp some of the concepts a little faster. As far as I can tell looking at my friends, economics seems to have a slightly smaller revision load to psychology which you will see when I send you the document. The sciences and econ are about equal in my opinion so it really depends on what you would find easier to memorise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5tribal)
    No problem congratulations, you passed the test. I'm sure you'll do great at Maths HL and the only way you can is if you are committed to it which it sounds as if you are. Well psychology is related to bio but its no where near as much depth as you would get in a bio course. All we really cover in psycho is: Hormones, Neurotransmitters, Synapses, Brain composition and the effects of abnormal physiology. The nice thing is that if you do biology you will find psychology much easier as you will grasp some of the concepts a little faster. As far as I can tell looking at my friends, economics seems to have a slightly smaller revision load to psychology which you will see when I send you the document. The sciences and econ are about equal in my opinion so it really depends on what you would find easier to memorise.
    Thanks! Your document really helped

ReputationRep:
    English HL
    Anthropology HL
    Psychology HL

Spanish SL
    ES&S SL
    Maths Studies

Tell me truthfully, are these really sucky subjects? I'm not sure about Anthropology as it isn't exactly 'traditional'. This is the same for ES&S. However, as my desired college doesn't offer Geography, I'd like to do these to keep the Geography-degree door open - I think I could BS on my personal statement about how Anth. is the 'human geography' and ES&S the 'science-y/physical' side xD.

Should I just do A-Levels? D:

ALSO: should I just do Maths SL & really knuckle down? I've got an A at GCSE but I'm just not sure xD

Any advice appreciated
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by paulpscully)
    English HL
    Anthropology HL
    Psychology HL

Spanish SL
    ES&S SL
    Maths Studies

Tell me truthfully, are these really sucky subjects? I'm not sure about Anthropology as it isn't exactly 'traditional'. This is the same for ES&S. However, as my desired college doesn't offer Geography, I'd like to do these to keep the Geography-degree door open - I think I could BS on my personal statement about how Anth. is the 'human geography' and ES&S the 'science-y/physical' side xD.

Should I just do A-Levels? D:

ALSO: should I just do Maths SL & really knuckle down? I've got an A at GCSE but I'm just not sure xD

Any advice appreciated
    The IB is good for people who want to challenge themselves academically, and especially for people who are unsure of what they want to do at uni. Or want to go to America or Canada for university study.

If you already know what you want to do at university, in Britain, there's really no point in doing the IB.

Do A-Levels if the option is right there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.