Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry for sure. Though you're better off doing physics/math HL.

ReputationRep:
    When it comes down to it, SL sciences are all pretty much the same level of difficulty. Some people say one is harder, some people say the other is harder. It depends entirely on the person.

a) which do you prefer?
    b) which are you better at?
    c) are you better at concepts or memorization?
    SL chem is a lot more about concepts. SL bio is a lot more about memorization.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you want to do. If your future career is aimed at Land Economics or Realtors, then your first choice is actually good.

Otherwise, the tougher the subjects, the more impressive it looks.
    I chose Maths, Physics and Chemistry as my HL to do law at Warwick. I got 34 and still got in when they wanted 36.

It's just how they roll.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what you school may require you to do, and what you plan to do/become/study in the future.

E.g. I have:

-HL German
    -HL English
    -HL B&M
    -HL History

and SL Math
    SL Biology

and I plan on double majoring in German and History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fakeplastictrees)
    I wrote out a long response about which subjects I think you should take, but I'm deleting it all and writing this instead:

I have one main piece of advice for anyone debating subjects and points:
    Do not listen to what anyone else has told you about the difficulty level of any particular course

It is so entirely subjective. Check out any sort of "which IB subject is the most difficult?" thread, and you'll find one person complaining about how HL Maths, for example, is the bane of their existence, and the next person will comment on how it's really easy for them. Someone will post about how getting a 7 in English A1 is impossible, and someone will say most people in their school got 7s in it.

Before starting IB, I talked to some of the older kids. They all told me that HL Chemistry is the most difficult course in the world and that everyone was failing. I was good friends with them, too, so it's not like they were lying to freak me out.
    The next year, I along with a bunch of my friends took it, and none of us found it that hard. In fact, the first half of the year was really easy and most of my friends and I all had marks in the mid to high 90s.
    General consensus amongst the '09 graduates was that Chem HL is reaaaally hard. General consensus among '10 graduates (following the exact same school lesson plans, tests, etc) is that it's alright (it's gotten harder than last year, but by all means manageable)

I know people who just naturally excel at Math HL and get like 98%. I got 77% on my last test and I tried hard.

What I'm trying to say is, don't pick subjects based on what you've heard other people say about their difficulty level. That is one thing I've learned over the last year. To ignore other people's opinions about IB when making decisions. Some people find somethings difficult, some people find them easy.

Take the second option. A place like Cambridge isn't going to give you an offer if they see that you took the easy road. If you do actually absolutely need to take the easy route just to get the minimum point requirements for a place like Cambridge, then you're most likely not going to get in, anyway.
    Just take what you want to take, or what you know you are personally good at. Work hard. It'll pay off and you'll do fine.

Sorry it's really long and probably redundant. I've never been particularly good with brevity (which, might I add, comes naturally to some of my friends :p:)

Thanks a lot for the long post! So you are suggesting that I should go with the second option, the option that I prefer more. I know for a fact that Environmental Systems is less demanding than any of the other 3 sciences...but does that mean that this subject is an "easy road" subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirlypop)
    Thanks a lot for the long post! So you are suggesting that I should go with the second option, the option that I prefer more. I know for a fact that Environmental Systems is less demanding than any of the other 3 sciences...but does that mean that this subject is an "easy road" subject?
    No problem, I just hope it helps some people, because it's honestly a conclusion I have come to from personal experience.

Yeah, I personally suggest you go with the second option with the subjects that look better.
    From what I understand, Environmental Systems is kind of like Math Studies in that it's not really respected as a "proper" IB course or whatever. So yeah, I'd suggest going with SL chemistry instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-j-123)
    x
    please dont post the same question (though about different subjects) in different threads.

x
    there is already this thread to ask about subject queries

your threads have been moved here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dahl's Chickens)
    Starting my first year of IB and these are the subjects I have chosen:

Higher:
    English
    Business
    Spanish

Standard:
    Maths
    Ecosystems
    World Politics.

What do I want to do when im older?
    I dont know, something linguistic/ business minded probably but not sure.

A teacher had a meeting with myself saying it might be considerable to swap History for Business. His arguments were that Business is almost a "soft subject" and universities don't regard it highly at all. I have never studied Business before, this was also another reason he gave.

However, I am fine doing Business at the moment although I've just started it , I look forward to doing the course etc etc.
    Im not a big fan of History. Got a B in my GCSE and decided I didn't want to do it for IB.

Doubts have crept into my head about my choice as my teacher says that History along side English and Spanish higher are a supreme combination to have.
    Is Business ( and Management) worth it ? :eek3:
    What are your honest opinions?

If you want my honest opinion, if you want to get into top unis they will not really consider you unless you get like 45 marks. First of all, you have 3 "soft" subjects. Business is one, ecosystems is another...world politics cant really be considered as a "soft" subject but it isn't pure. Pure subjects are the sciences, economics, geography, history. The "old" subjects if you get what I mean. I hope you are not planning to get into Cambridge, Harvard or LSE etc etc...

If I were you, I would change business to economics. Choose another science from biology, chemistry or physics. Do you prefer concepts? Math? Or memorizing? World politics can be switched to geography...its not that hard.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

I am in my last year of GCSE and I have to choose my subject soon. I would like to study preferable in the top unis, such as LSE or Cambridge. I would like to study law. Is my subject combination good to study law? I checked both the Cambridge and LSE requirements for law, and I do not see any "history" or "english"...just "academically broad subjects".

HL English
    HL History
    HL Economics

SL Math
    SL Chinese
    SL Environmental Systems

I would actually like to take less demanding subjects like business and ecosystems, but I know for top unis it is considered a soft subject...so I guess not. But are my subjects hard to score points in? PLEASE PLEASE QUOTE and give advice!

ReputationRep:
    :eek3:
    I've planned to take
    Physics, Chemistry and Biology on HL; and
    Maths, French (ab initio) and English on SL.

I'm most probably going for Anthropology.

Are these subject choices good for me???
    Any suggestions on subject selection???
    What other good careers can I go for with these subject choices???
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaustubh_C)
    :eek3:
    I've planned to take
    Physics, Chemistry and Biology on HL; and
    Maths, French (ab initio) and English on SL.

I'm most probably going for Anthropology.

Are these subject choices good for me???
    Any suggestions on subject selection???
    What other good careers can I go for with these subject choices???
    :woo:
    No. You can't do that. Have to have a humanities sorry mate.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

I am in my last year of GCSE and I have to choose my subject soon. I would like to study preferable in the top unis, such as LSE or Cambridge. I would like to study law. Is my subject combination good to study law? I checked both the Cambridge and LSE requirements for law, and I do not see any "history" or "english"...just "academically broad subjects".

HL English
    HL History
    HL Economics

SL Math
    SL Chinese
    SL Environmental Systems

I would actually like to take less demanding subjects like business and ecosystems, but I know for top unis it is considered a soft subject...so I guess not. But are my subjects hard to score points in? PLEASE PLEASE QUOTE and give advice!
    As far as I know, there are no specific requirements for law, but your HLs should cover them if there are any. All your HLs are well-respected subjects, so that's good. Whether they're hard to score points in depends on your ability in the subjects and how much work you put in, especially essay-based subjects like History and English where you can't get by with just rote memorisation.

To be honest, if you're looking at Oxbridge and LSE, I wouldn't be worrying about doing 'hard' subjects. If you're good enough to get in to those unis, you should be able to cope with a 'hard' subject at IB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schnargle)
    As far as I know, there are no specific requirements for law, but your HLs should cover them if there are any. All your HLs are well-respected subjects, so that's good. Whether they're hard to score points in depends on your ability in the subjects and how much work you put in, especially essay-based subjects like History and English where you can't get by with just rote memorisation.

To be honest, if you're looking at Oxbridge and LSE, I wouldn't be worrying about doing 'hard' subjects. If you're good enough to get in to those unis, you should be able to cope with a 'hard' subject at IB.

Thanks. I was actually planning to change economics to business but I guess that would seem a bad choice? But I know for sure I can do better in business than in economics.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I was actually planning to change economics to business but I guess that would seem a bad choice? But I know for sure I can do better in business than in economics.
    I've actually heard from my friends that took it that HL Business can be tricky. I don't quite remember why they said it was hard - it could have been the markschemes - but SL Business, which I took, is VERY manageable. It's basically GCSE Business with a few bits tacked on, and the only thing you really need to concentrate on is the coursework (I didn't, ha ha).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schnargle)
    I've actually heard from my friends that took it that HL Business can be tricky. I don't quite remember why they said it was hard - it could have been the markschemes - but SL Business, which I took, is VERY manageable. It's basically GCSE Business with a few bits tacked on, and the only thing you really need to concentrate on is the coursework (I didn't, ha ha).
    Yeah, but it is relatively less demanding than economics. But business is considered as an "ifty" and "soft" subject by top unis, so I don't think its a good choice..

Btw I've changed my SL Math to Math Studies because I would reckon that history and economics would take most of my time. I looked at the math studies past paper and I could do half of it

So my subjects are now:

HL English, History, Economics
    SL Chinese, Math Studies, Environmental Systems

With hard HL's and easy SL's will I still have a chance to be accepted into top unis like LSE and Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    im doing IB1 this yr..nd i wanna study Industrial design in the Uni
    ive chosed Art, Business, Physics, Math, Literature, nd French..
    (what do u think?)

iv already decided 2 take Art nd Business as high level..bt i dnno wat other subjects 2 take as HL

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but it is relatively less demanding than economics. But business is considered as an "ifty" and "soft" subject by top unis, so I don't think its a good choice..

Btw I've changed my SL Math to Math Studies because I would reckon that history and economics would take most of my time. I looked at the math studies past paper and I could do half of it

So my subjects are now:

HL English, History, Economics
    SL Chinese, Math Studies, Environmental Systems

With hard HL's and easy SL's will I still have a chance to be accepted into top unis like LSE and Cambridge?
    I wouldn't drop SL Maths if I were you. Studies doesn't seem to be respected at all even though it's an SL subject, so if you're applying to Oxbridge/LSE then I wouldn't take the risk. It's really not THAT hard, just a few steps up from IGCSE - I seem to remember you were predicted an A or A* at GCSE? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd start with SL, then if you'd really rather take Studies then you can always switch.

Environmental Studies seems like another subject that might not be so well respected - have you thought about doing SL Biology instead? A lot of it is memorisation really, and most of it is really easy if you were good at GCSE.

Is Chinese B or ab initio? Do you already speak Chinese? If you're fluent, B SL languages are basically just a bonus 7 points. If you don't speak it at all, even ab initio can be hard.

As far as I've seen, Cambridge really focus on your HLs, and just want a high score overall from SL subjects. I haven't a clue about LSE as I'm not applying there, but it's ridiculously competitive. A girl in the year above me was predicted 45 points and was rejected. So your application will also be very very important

ReputationRep:
    oh you're looking at taking 4 HLs then? do you really need them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradise_lost)
    Err, where is 4 higher levels mentioned? I think you misread the OP.
    I'd suggest Physics or Maths. Industrial design is practically engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradise_lost)
    well i never said i wanna take 4 HLs..bt i might take thm if im forced 2..
    i just dnno which subjects do i need the most!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.