Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! I'm starting IB soon and i really hope i've chosen a good set of subjects. Please feel free to post your views on my subjects.

my subjects are: HL - Economics, English, Psychology
    SL - Math, Biology and Spanish ab initio.

now, i want to do psychology and literature further. My main question is whether i should take english literature, or english language + literature. Secondly, i have not studied eco before and was wondering if doing it at HL is a good decision.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kickprevails)
    Hi!! So I'm choosing subjects for IB, and I thought maybe you guys could help me decide, or suggest any changes. I want to go in the direction of engineering or something environmental afterwards. So far my choices are:

HL
    Physics
    Chemistry
    English Lang/Lit

SL
    Math
    Spanish ab initio
    Environmental systems

Would this be ok? Or is Math HL definitely required? I took additional maths at IGCSE but I don't think I'm capable of doing it at HL, its my main worry.

Well, as far as i have heard, yes, HL math is required. When i was seeing what level of math to take on the ibo website under math HL it said meant for students considering Engineering or Math for further studies. And im sure if you work hard you would be able to get a 6 at least It is alot of work, but its your dream to do engineering that will get you there!

Im sure its because you love english that you have taken HL but i say you switch math and english!

Hope this was of help to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lonelieststar109)
    Hi all! I'm starting IB soon and i really hope i've chosen a good set of subjects. Please feel free to post your views on my subjects.

my subjects are: HL - Economics, English, Psychology
    SL - Math, Biology and Spanish ab initio.

now, i want to do psychology and literature further. My main question is whether i should take english literature, or english language + literature. Secondly, i have not studied eco before and was wondering if doing it at HL is a good decision.

Thanks
    Firstly, take Literature, it's much more rigorous than Lang Lit (lang lit replaced language A2 which was for near natives)
    Secondly, Econ HL assumes no prior knowledge of economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    Firstly, take Literature, it's much more rigorous than Lang Lit (lang lit replaced language A2 which was for near natives)
    Great. Thanks for the help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank god. Coz i was really looking forward to economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I'm in the 10 grade, I have to decide on IB subjects for next year.
    I think I'm going with
    English HL
    french SL/hl
    Economics/ history HL/sl
    business /psychology Hl
    Biology sl
    Math SL

I want to do either business or law after school. Do I need any specific subjects? I've heard that business and management is looked down on. Do I need history for law? Also, is there any way I could drop a science and take an extra group 3 subject. I can't decide between business, Eco, psychology and history. I've done business and Eco for the past three years, but psychology and history sound interesting. Can u explain to me which subject will be the best option?

ReputationRep:
    anyone?????????:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I work in an IB school, be very careful about applying for economics without HL maths. I'm not sure about PPE however so suggest you check the exact requirements of the universities that interest you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on taking:

French HL
    German HL
    English Literature HL
    History SL
    Maths SL
    Biology SL

BUT I haven't got a GCSE in French as I only learnt it for two years at secondary school. I have done Italian at GCSE as well as German so my teacher thinks I will pick up French quickly as I can pick up new languages well, but I'm worried that it'll be too difficult as it's not ab initio? Should I take French?

ReputationRep:
    If you are attempting French B at HL you should have at least the equivalent of GCSE/IGCSE French grade A, in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _phoebe)
    I'm planning on taking:

French HL
    German HL
    English Literature HL
    History SL
    Maths SL
    Biology SL

BUT I haven't got a GCSE in French as I only learnt it for two years at secondary school. I have done Italian at GCSE as well as German so my teacher thinks I will pick up French quickly as I can pick up new languages well, but I'm worried that it'll be too difficult as it's not ab initio? Should I take French?
    Absolutely not. I've done 7 years of French and got a 6 at SL. I also got an A at GCSE French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _phoebe)
    I'm planning on taking:

French HL
    German HL
    English Literature HL
    History SL
    Maths SL
    Biology SL

(Original post by Mellomum)
    If you are attempting French B at HL you should have at least the equivalent of GCSE/IGCSE French grade A, in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Absolutely not. I've done 7 years of French and got a 6 at SL. I also got an A at GCSE French.
    Agreed. It's highly unlikely that you'll survive literature. I don't know about French, but I know a semi-native Spanish speaker who tajes Spanish HL and she's only predicted a 6.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm starting the IB and I want to pursue a degree in possibly Law or another social science- still quite undecided.
    My current IB choices are

HL-

Philosophy
    English Lang +lit
    Psychology

SL-

Chinese B
    Maths st.
    Chem

Although I also kind of want to study econ despite not having a gcse in it. If I did I would do it instead of psych.
    Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trisha_)
    Hi so I'm in the 10 grade, I have to decide on IB subjects for next year.
    I think I'm going with
    English HL
    french SL/hl
    Economics/ history HL/sl
    business /psychology Hl
    Biology sl
    Math SL

I want to do either business or law after school. Do I need any specific subjects? I've heard that business and management is looked down on. Do I need history for law? Also, is there any way I could drop a science and take an extra group 3 subject. I can't decide between business, Eco, psychology and history. I've done business and Eco for the past three years, but psychology and history sound interesting. Can u explain to me which subject will be the best option?
    No specific subjects needed for law or business at uni, at least in the UK. Definitely do not take business and economics, they are so similar that universities don't like it, I would take economics and history so the option of business or law is wide open ( history isn't essential for law but similar skills are gained from it). You may be able to use psychology as our science but I honestly have no idea so I would check this out with your school. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gravesy)
    No specific subjects needed for law or business at uni, at least in the UK. Definitely do not take business and economics, they are so similar that universities don't like it, I would take economics and history so the option of business or law is wide open ( history isn't essential for law but similar skills are gained from it). You may be able to use psychology as our science but I honestly have no idea so I would check this out with your school. Hope this helps

Thanks I'd love to do psychology too. I'll ask my school but I doubt they'll let me ditch a science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AquisM)
    Agreed. It's highly unlikely that you'll survive literature. I don't know about French, but I know a semi-native Spanish speaker who tajes Spanish HL and she's only predicted a 6.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok, thank you! I'm taking Psychology instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could I have some help?
    My preferred line, after uni is chartered accountancy, finance or law, and I've selected English HL, Economics HL, Geography HL, Spanish Ab nitio and Maths SL. However, for my last SL i am disputing between Enviromental systems and physics. Considering my desired lines, which of the subjects should I take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yashsp)
    Could I have some help?
    My preferred line, after uni is chartered accountancy, finance or law, and I've selected English HL, Economics HL, Geography HL, Spanish Ab nitio and Maths SL. However, for my last SL i am disputing between Enviromental systems and physics. Considering my desired lines, which of the subjects should I take?
    My opinion would be to take Physics, due to three reasons: a) Physics is traditionally more mathematical, which will complement accountancy/finance; b) I've heard from friends that ESS is no walk in the park - their IAs can be longer than EEs, and c) Physics is traditionally more respected by unis, despite the difficulty of ESS. However, bear in mind that I take neither of the subjects though (I do take Physics HL, which is not very hard so I guess SL will be OK too), and that given it's an SL subject, unis probably won't really care as long as you get a good score in whichever one you pick. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    What is the best Group 3 subject according to you from Economics, History, Psychology and Business and Managemnt ??? I can't decide which 2 subjects I want to take. Everybody says that Eco and His are more academic whereas B&m is vocational what about psychology. I consider getting into business but I'm not sure anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trisha_)
    What is the best Group 3 subject according to you from Economics, History, Psychology and Business and Managemnt ??? I can't decide which 2 subjects I want to take. Everybody says that Eco and His are more academic whereas B&m is vocational what about psychology. I consider getting into business but I'm not sure anymore.
    History, geography philosophy and economics are more widely considered academic than psychology, B&M, SCA, ITGS etc Do economics, if you want to do business

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.