Turn on thread page Beta

The "Which IB subjects should I choose" Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    hey i am from cbse board with cgpa 10/10 in my 10 grade and my predicted marks are 95% overall with 95% in maths 96% in economics 96% in business studies and 94% in english i am thinking of applying to oxford, lse, ucl, edinburgh and warwick for economics what are my chances of getting in and my ps is gd backed by gd reference too and also do oxford interview indians via skype or phone since i might nt be able to attend an interview at uk. hlp will b appreciated
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by acidwiredheart)
    hey i am from cbse board with cgpa 10/10 in my 10 grade and my predicted marks are 95% overall with 95% in maths 96% in economics 96% in business studies and 94% in english i am thinking of applying to oxford, lse, ucl, edinburgh and warwick for economics what are my chances of getting in and my ps is gd backed by gd reference too and also do oxford interview indians via skype or phone since i might nt be able to attend an interview at uk. hlp will b appreciated
    For Economics, the minimum requirement is A*AA and LSE and UCL ask for a 95% predicted overall in the CBSE and Oxford asks for 90+% predicted in each of your 5 individual subjects. So you meet the minimum requirements. This information is available on their website, so please check those out thoroughly in the future, most of your questions will generally be addressed there.

Yes, Oxford does phone and Skype interviews, so you have nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arrowhead)
    For Economics, the minimum requirement is A*AA and LSE and UCL ask for a 95% predicted overall in the CBSE and Oxford asks for 90+% predicted in each of your 5 individual subjects. So you meet the minimum requirements. This information is available on their website, so please check those out thoroughly in the future, most of your questions will generally be addressed there.

Yes, Oxford does phone and Skype interviews, so you have nothing to worry about.
    thx a lot and yes i did read the minimum requirements its jst tht i m a lil worried about the competition u knw thx agn

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering, If I want to go to law school after my undergrad, is it necessary to do history because it prepares you with a lot of writing and essays? I want to major in economics for my 4 years before law school. So I'll have to take economics HL right? I'm also taking english HL. I'm unsure whether history or psychology HL will help me more for law. I don't think my school will let me drop a science to take all 3 which I think seem equally important for law. Given that everyone says history is vital and psychology has a lot to do with thinking about the way peoples minds work. What do I do? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Would doing Spanish HL instead of French HL put me at a disadvantage of pursuing International Relations in the future? I am Venezuelan, so my Spanish is perfect, so I would achieve a 7. But French is really difficult for me at the moment. Would it be better if I did Spanish HL or Psychology HL and French SL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N Kay)
    Hi everyone,
    Would doing Spanish HL instead of French HL put me at a disadvantage of pursuing International Relations in the future? I am Venezuelan, so my Spanish is perfect, so I would achieve a 7. But French is really difficult for me at the moment. Would it be better if I did Spanish HL or Psychology HL and French SL?
    I don't think it really matters which language you do for international relations, French and Spanish both seem like good options

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N Kay)
    Hi everyone,
    I believe it would, as many unis look down upon native speakers doing courses meant for foreign language students. Most unis have a policy of not considering A Levels in the applicant's mother tongue, and given that B HL is commonly considered to be equivalent to A Level, some unis might not count Hl Spanish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much guys!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I want to pursue the sciences at uni. Is it absolutely necessary to take two sciences? I do Film instead of a second science, and am now wondering if I should drop it :/
    My other subjects are Physics HL, Further Math HL, Literature HL, Spanish ab SL and a humanity SL (undecided).
    What humanity would you suggest I take?

ReputationRep:
    You don't say which sciences you want to study but certainly for biology you would need two sciences and I suspect the same for physics. However for many courses maths counts as a science. But I think film studies looks a bit weak... Suggest you look at one or two university courses and see what they specify.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am rather conflicted on what to take at HL and SL. In the future, I would either like to study politics, law, psychology or natural sciences.

I am thinking of taking:
    HL: Maths, Chemistry, English OR History
    SL: French, Physics/ Biology (undecided between the two)

Should I take English or History at HL?

My predicted GCSE grades are as follows:
    Additional Science- A
    Extension Additional Science- A
    Maths- A*
    History- A/A*
    English Lit- A*
    English Lang- A*
    Latin and Civilisation- A*
    IT (Double Award)- Di
    Drama- A
    Art- A
    Philosophy & Ethics A/S- B

I already have the following GCSE's:
    French- A
    Religion & Society- A*
    Science- A*

Please help me decide what would be best to take; History HL or English HL? Biology or Physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyasdfgh)
    I am rather conflicted on what to take at HL and SL. In the future, I would either like to study politics, law, psychology or natural sciences.

I am thinking of taking:
    HL: Maths, Chemistry, English OR History
    SL: French, Physics/ Biology (undecided between the two)

Should I take English or History at HL?

My predicted GCSE grades are as follows:
    Additional Science- A
    Extension Additional Science- A
    Maths- A*
    History- A/A*
    English Lit- A*
    English Lang- A*
    Latin and Civilisation- A*
    IT (Double Award)- Di
    Drama- A
    Art- A
    Philosophy & Ethics A/S- B

I already have the following GCSE's:
    French- A
    Religion & Society- A*
    Science- A*

Please help me decide what would be best to take; History HL or English HL? Biology or Physics?
    You're going to have to do English. You have to do your native language and a foreign one. Unless you drop either bio/phys and take History at SL, theres no way you can do both. Unless you take 7 subjects. I did both English and History and got 7s. I'd do biology, as it's easier than physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CYsuxx)
    Hey guys my option choices are coming up and I wanted some advice on what to choose for medicine

HL
    Bio
    Chem

SL
    English A
    Japanese ab initio
    Maths

For the 3rd HL, I'm really interested in History (which I didn't do at iGCSE). Would the workload drag the rest of my grades down and is it really suicide given my other subjects? I realize it'll be difficult because I need 776 at HL to get in, would it substantially easier to just do Geography HL? (Probably A* at iGCSE)

Hii
    If you have the ability to take Math at HL then it would put you at a great advantage since you want to study the hardest thing to get into *medicine* , if not chose the easier subject for SL - Bio and Chem at HL is enough stress as it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kickprevails)
    Hi!! So I'm choosing subjects for IB, and I thought maybe you guys could help me decide, or suggest any changes. I want to go in the direction of engineering or something environmental afterwards. So far my choices are:

HL
    Physics
    Chemistry
    English Lang/Lit

SL
    Math
    Spanish ab initio
    Environmental systems

Would this be ok? Or is Math HL definitely required? I took additional maths at IGCSE but I don't think I'm capable of doing it at HL, its my main worry.
    There are many universities that don't require Math HL for engineering, so make sure to apply to those and you will be fine ! You're subjects are good, and if you get 7's you could even get into universities that require Math HL.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=N Kay;43179414]Does anyone know which subject is better to take in IB? English Literature or English Lit and Lang? They'd both be at higher level.
    I heard that if you're planning on pursuing a science based career you should do English Lit and Lang. But if you're doing law or business and such, you need to do English Literature. Is this true? Which one is most respected at universities?

This is to some degree true, but as for which is most respected, it doesn't really matter unless you want to study English Literature as a major; in that case taking English Lit would be necessary.

If you find that you are more interested in Literature, you can take it at Standard Level instead of HL. English Lit HL is a very difficult course, and if you are taking sciences at higher level, you won't have time to equally distribute your efforts towards all three HL's.

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    I plan to study finance and accounting in the US or Canada. I'd like to know if my subjects choices are relevant to the career i'd like to pursue.

HL
    Maths (Got A* at IGCSE)
    Economics
    Business & Management or Social and cultural anthropology (maybe is it an interesting subject?)

SL
    English A
    Ab initio spanish (or would it be easier to do French B since i am currently working at an A/A* in IGCSE)
    Environmental systems and societies

ReputationRep:
    I really want to study Engineering at Cambridge, UK. At the moment, these are the options I might go with:

Higher:
    Maths
    Physics
    Further Maths? (or DT or Chemistry)

Standard:
    Economics
    English
    German Ab Intitio

The problem is the third Higher option: I have no idea which one to go with... Suggestions would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashaaaness)
    Hey!
    I have 2 questions.

1. Is it advisable to drop Maths HL despite wanting to pursue the sciences at university? Will this make me a little bit more disadvantaged than other applicants applying for the same courses? I know Maths HL is not required as I've got both Biology and Chem at HL but.. is it preferred?

I COULD try my best for Maths HL - that is, work my butt off for it but I'd just like to hear everybody's opinion on whether it's worth it, and whether I even need it!

2. Also, IF I do drop Maths HL, which HL should I take up, English A1 or History? I love both equally, and scored A*s for English First Language, English Literature and History at IGCSE and I'm pretty much torn between the two. So I WOULD like to pick the one I love - but I love both so uhhh, yeah I kinda need help :p:.

Can anyone out there tell me which HL they felt was better for them & why, whether the workload will be too much if I were to take one instead of the other..etc?
    I would strongly advise against Maths HL unless you are super good at maths...and i mean super good. Mainly because the Maths HL students in my sch are struggling atm. Im an aspiring medic and im doing maths at SL instead. (You could also ask the unis you are thinking of applying to, to see which is best)

I think if you are choosing between History and English, then English will be more worthwhile at HL

My HL subjects are : Bio, Chem and Philosophy.
    I would say Philosophy is an ideal HL subject because it is so enjoyable which makes it a lot more manageable at HL. Plus it covers ethics which is aids with prep for medical interview questions.

ReputationRep:
    drop it, it sucks

ReputationRep:
    If I want to study either Physics/Maths/Engineering at Uni, is it absolutely necessary to have two sciences? I really don't want to do either Chem or Bio, so I'm confused right now.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.