Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aparpuritanical)
    If I want to study either Physics/Maths/Engineering at Uni, is it absolutely necessary to have two sciences? I really don't want to do either Chem or Bio, so I'm confused right now.
    You normally need it, but if your taking physics and maths at HL then you've already got your 2 sciences so you don't need bio or chem

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm looking for a couple of opinions of which I should choose, I know about them but what would you suggest for my circumstances.
    If I was to take A-Level:
    German, Maths, Business Studies, Further Maths
    IB:
    SL - English, Biology, Chemistry
    HL - Maths, Business Studies, German
    I'm predicted As in all of my GCSEs and Maths an A*, and I already have an A in both economics and citizenship.
    The parts I would be most worried about are all of my SL subjects (do you think I would be capable of doing them at standard level, I find them really hard but I get good grades in them by working pretty hard) and also the TOK extended essay, I'd also have to move to another school (not too far away though) to do IB as my school doesn't offer it (but one of my friends would be with me).
    I'm thinking about going to university to do either Maths or Business (leaning slightly more towards Business).
    I'm really torn between the two and appreciate any replies, thanks!http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/9.4.1/...lies/smile.png

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashleigh)
    Hey, I'm looking for a couple of opinions of which I should choose, I know about them but what would you suggest for my circumstances.
    If I was to take A-Level:
    German, Maths, Business Studies, Further Maths
    IB:
    SL - English, Biology, Chemistry
    HL - Maths, Business Studies, German
    I'm predicted As in all of my GCSEs and Maths an A*, and I already have an A in both economics and citizenship.
    The parts I would be most worried about are all of my SL subjects (do you think I would be capable of doing them at standard level, I find them really hard but I get good grades in them by working pretty hard) and also the TOK extended essay, I'd also have to move to another school (not too far away though) to do IB as my school doesn't offer it (but one of my friends would be with me).
    I'm thinking about going to university to do either Maths or Business (leaning slightly more towards Business).
    I'm really torn between the two and appreciate any replies, thanks!http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/9.4.1/...lies/smile.png
    If you plan to study business i definately suggest you take A level economics or HL Economics as it is way more respected by the top universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbunny)
    If you plan to study business i definately suggest you take A level economics or HL Economics as it is way more respected by the top universities.
    Oh I see, so rather than business take economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashleigh)
    Oh I see, so rather than business take economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I would swap business for economics, much more respected. Definitely don't do both though, universities see it as less of a challenge as theyre very similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RS_Dynasty)
    I really want to study Engineering at Cambridge, UK. At the moment, these are the options I might go with:

Higher:
    Maths
    Physics
    Further Maths? (or DT or Chemistry)

Standard:
    Economics
    English
    German Ab Intitio

The problem is the third Higher option: I have no idea which one to go with... Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Definitely do chemistry!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I am planning on taking psychology in a prestigious uni like oxbridge, but I am not really sure which IB subjects to take...I start my IB next year and so far I have come up with the following:
    HL Math
    HL Biology
    HL Chemistry/Economics

SL English A
    SL French B
    SL Chemistry/Economics

I am not sure whether I should do chemistry or economics at HL and which one to do at SL....
    Also, I am not sure whether to do Literature or Language and Literature for english....my teacher says that I can easily do both...

Please help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fryschia)
    Hi everyone!
    I am planning on taking psychology in a prestigious uni like oxbridge, but I am not really sure which IB subjects to take...I start my IB next year and so far I have come up with the following:
    HL Math
    HL Biology
    HL Chemistry/Economics

SL English A
    SL French B
    SL Chemistry/Economics

I am not sure whether I should do chemistry or economics at HL and which one to do at SL....
    Also, I am not sure whether to do Literature or Language and Literature for english....my teacher says that I can easily do both...

Please help?
    From an application standpoint taking either of the two at HL would likely be fine, provided you get the grades and such. Taking HL chemistry may put you at a slight advantage, but I don't think it'll be particularly significant. I would just go with whichever you prefer, taking both at HL and dropping on later on is also an option.

I can't comment on which English course since I don't know the difference myself, but it won't make a difference for university applications. Go with whichever that interests you more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ctrls)
    From an application standpoint taking either of the two at HL would likely be fine, provided you get the grades and such. Taking HL chemistry may put you at a slight advantage, but I don't think it'll be particularly significant. I would just go with whichever you prefer, taking both at HL and dropping on later on is also an option.

I can't comment on which English course since I don't know the difference myself, but it won't make a difference for university applications. Go with whichever that interests you more.
    Thank you so much

I might go with taking 4 HLs at first and then dropping one later...
    For English, I'm not really sure which one I prefer. Do you know which one is easier to get a 7 in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fryschia)
    Thank you so much

I might go with taking 4 HLs at first and then dropping one later...
    For English, I'm not really sure which one I prefer. Do you know which one is easier to get a 7 in?
    Lang & Lit is generally considered easier; there is a lot less reading to do than in Literature – although since you said you'll be taking English at SL you'd have to read less books than the HL Lit students anyway. I've understood that in Literature you mainly just look at… well, literature, whereas in Lang & Lit you also focus on the context of the novels as well aspects of media etc.

However, Lang & Lit is also a much newer subject so there are less past papers and teachers have less experience etc. (Although by 2016 teachers will have a lot more material and a better idea in general, so I guess this wouldn't be too much of a problem for you anyway..) I have Lang & Lit at HL and I'd say it's an enjoyable course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kat_K)
    Lang & Lit is generally considered easier; there is a lot less reading to do than in Literature – although since you said you'll be taking English at SL you'd have to read less books than the HL Lit students anyway. I've understood that in Literature you mainly just look at… well, literature, whereas in Lang & Lit you also focus on the context of the novels as well aspects of media etc.

However, Lang & Lit is also a much newer subject so there are less past papers and teachers have less experience etc. (Although by 2016 teachers will have a lot more material and a better idea in general, so I guess this wouldn't be too much of a problem for you anyway..) I have Lang & Lit at HL and I'd say it's an enjoyable course
    Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    Here are my IB options

Econ HL
    Bio HL
    Chem HL

Eng Lit SL
    Chinese B SL
    Maths SL

I originally wanted to do Medicine, but I really don't want to stay in school for 11+ years or so. (too much for me)

Now I aim to do something Chemistry related or Business related (Hence the choice of Economics HL, assuming that it would open up pathways to the Business industry)

P.S I also have an interest in Film and Media/Communication, my school has the option to choose Film SL/HL. Is it worth choosing it or does universities don't respect this subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justintsang)
    Here are my IB options

Econ HL
    Bio HL
    Chem HL

Eng Lit SL
    Chinese B SL
    Maths SL

I originally wanted to do Medicine, but I really don't want to stay in school for 11+ years or so. (too much for me)

Now I aim to do something Chemistry related or Business related (Hence the choice of Economics HL, assuming that it would open up pathways to the Business industry)

P.S I also have an interest in Film and Media/Communication, my school has the option to choose Film SL/HL. Is it worth choosing it or does universities don't respect this subjects
    Dont bother with film, you can get into a film degree without having done Film HL or SL

ReputationRep:
    Will these options be okay. I'm not entirely certain on what I want to study at Uni. Possibly something like Economics, Finance or Architecture. I was planning to take Maths at HL but after my GCSE Mocks I only got 1A*,2 A's and a B in maths. In all my other subjects - with the exception of Economics as it isn't offered at GCSE, I've got A/A* mock results.

French HL
    Physics HL
    Economics HL
    Maths SL
    English SL
    Biology SL

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilys7)
    Will these options be okay. I'm not entirely certain on what I want to study at Uni. Possibly something like Economics, Finance or Architecture. I was planning to take Maths at HL but after my GCSE Mocks I only got 1A*,2 A's and a B in maths. In all my other subjects - with the exception of Economics as it isn't offered at GCSE, I've got A/A* mock results.

French HL
    Physics HL
    Economics HL
    Maths SL
    English SL
    Biology SL

Thanks!
    Should be fine, but perhaps consider Maths at HL again for Economics.

Perhaps swap it with Physics/French ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilys7)
    With economics, the requirements vary depending on the type of course you are going for, at least from what I've gathered. Some courses that aren't very maths-heavy will be fine with SL maths, but other courses may not.

Architecture may be a problem with your subject choices though, you'll need a portfolio (so taking art would be helpful), plus HL maths tends to be a requirement depending on the uni. Don't know too much about finance, but I would imagine HL maths would be preferable/required depending on the uni given it's a maths-heavy course. This however only applies for top-unis in the UK (top ~15 or so), so YMMV.

My general recommendation in this case would be to give it a try at HL first (taking 4HL's to being with) and drop it later if it becomes overwhelmingly difficult.

ReputationRep:
    HL Econ
    HL Chem
    HL Chinese B
    SL English Lang & Lit
    SL Maths
    SL Physics/History

I am in Year 11 and currently doing Double Award (Core + Additional) Science in GCSEs, predicted A* A*. I am also doing GCSE History but I got a B for mocks. However, I really think I could get at least an A or A* for my final exams.

I have no prior knowledge in Economics, but I want to pursue a business related career. However, I also want to pursue a science related career (not medicine).

I'm planning to do 4 HLs, cause Chinese B HL is just way too easy for me.

So...here are some questions.

Should take 2 Humanities subjects in IB, or 2 Sciences in IB?

Option 1: HL Econ + HL Psychology/History
    Option 2: HL Econ + SL Psychology/History
    Option 3: HL Chem + HL Physics/Biology
    Option 4: HL Chem + SL Physics/Biology

Which option is more respectable? Regarding to my pursued business or science career.

and finally...

Which option is most likely to get the most points?

Thanks for your time

ReputationRep:
    HL Econ
    HL Chem
    HL Chinese B
    SL English Lang & Lit
    SL Maths
    SL Physics/History

I am in Year 11 and currently doing Double Award (Core + Additional) Science in GCSEs, predicted A* A*. I am also doing GCSE History but I got a B for mocks. However, I really think I could get at least an A or A* for my final exams.

I have no prior knowledge in Economics, but I want to pursue a business related career. However, I also want to pursue a science related career (not medicine).

I'm planning to do 4 HLs, cause Chinese B HL is just way too easy for me.

So...here are some questions.

Should take 2 Humanities subjects in IB, or 2 Sciences in IB?

Option 1: HL Econ + HL Psychology/History
    Option 2: HL Econ + SL Psychology/History
    Option 3: HL Chem + HL Physics/Biology
    Option 4: HL Chem + SL Physics/Biology

Which option is more respectable? Regarding to my pursued business or science career.

and finally...

Which option is most likely to get the most points?

Thanks for your time
    If you want to do science, then of course logically two HL sciences would be better, preferably with HL Maths as well (though of course that is very hard). If B HL Chinese is easy, maybe you should consider A SL Chinese.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    x
    All of your 5 options look fine for business, though I personally would go for HL economics since the difference between the two levels really isn't that large. Don't worry about any prerequisites - the course is designed so you don't need any prior knowledge. I personally took it at HL without taking a single class beforehand, but it really was not an issue for me. The concepts themselves are generally logical and easy to understand, plus it'll be beneficial for your application when applying for business-related courses.

As mentioned above, taking a second science and/or HL maths would be beneficial for a science-related subject. This however, will strongly depend on what field you end up going for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ctrls)
    All of your 5 options look fine for business, though I personally would go for HL economics since the difference between the two levels really isn't that large. Don't worry about any prerequisites - the course is designed so you don't need any prior knowledge. I personally took it at HL without taking a single class beforehand, but it really was not an issue for me. The concepts themselves are generally logical and easy to understand, plus it'll be beneficial for your application when applying for business-related courses.

As mentioned above, taking a second science and/or HL maths would be beneficial for a science-related subject. This however, will strongly depend on what field you end up going for.
    Would you advise taking Maths HL for pursue in business?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.