Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justintsang)
    Would you advise taking Maths HL for pursue in business?
    I think doing economics, especially if your taking it at HL, means that SL maths will be absolutely fine. At HL it becomes a different kind of maths to what you need in economics.

ReputationRep:
    Would you advise taking Maths HL for pursue in business?
    Depends on whether you enjoy the subject and want to, really. I don't think most of the content covered is particularly relevant for business, but it's not totally useless either. If you enjoy maths and are willing to take the time studying it, then take it by all means.

It is worth noting of course, that there is a substantial gap between GCSE maths and taking it at HL. Low marks at the beginning is generally the norm, well over half of my class dropped down during IB1. For this reason, I would recommend taking it as a 4th HL to start if you do - it just keeps that option open just in case.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'd like to ask for some advice on which of these subject choice combinations would be more manageable to take at IB. In terms of background I'm doing well in all subjects, and achieved A* in 11 of 12 subjects I'm doing currently in mock exams (let's hope I can keep it up ;p) but our school is already pressing us to choose IB subjects.

I don't really know what job I'd ideally like to do but I enjoy science subjects, maths, languages and computer science. I have some interest in engineering after going to a lecture about it.

Currently what I have put down as my subject choices are (with my 6th form offering 3 HL 3SL no exceptions):

HL: Chemistry, Physics, Psychology
    SL: Maths methods (and A level maths bolted on), Mandarin Chinese, English lit.

My dilemma is that doing the A level maths bolted on would mean having to do a lot of extra work but I've heard that it is easier than higher maths at IB.
    Another combination that I was toying with would be:

HL: Chemistry, Physics, Maths
    SL: Mandarin Chinese, English lit and Humanities.

The problems with the 2nd subject choices I'm facing would be that I can't do psychology as it is only offered at higher level, and I would be stuck doing either economics, philosophy or history (or are you required to have done history at a prior level?). The 2nd set, however, means I do 1 less subject worth of work (not having to do the A level bolt on ).

So my question is whether the extra work that the bolt on would cause would outweigh doing a subject I don't think I'd particularly enjoy (history, philosophy, although I think economics would be OK, and definitely not Geo), but less work.

On a final note can anyone comment on the difficulty of the subjects? At open evenings Lower sixth form students were speaking (who had essentially on had a term in sixth form) and it didn't reassure me when the person doing higher maths, physics and chemistry only had to say that it was "Fine."

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slab)
    x
    I would say taking HL maths would be a better choice over SL+A-level. Taking it as an A-level really doesn't make much sense, there's only a few more topics you will have to cover over SL (if you take the stats modules, that is) and it's generally comparable in terms of difficulty. The question style of HL maths is generally harder and there's a wider coverage of topics, so it'll not only help from an admissions perspective, but those skills will also be useful for when you get into university.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily recommend giving up on psychology is you really want to take it. It's worth asking your IB coordinator if it's possible about the possibility of taking it at SL. Generally speaking, the difference between HL and SL subjects are that you have extra topics topics to learn and for some subjects, more papers to write. I don't take the subject myself so I may be missing something, but I really don't see why you can't attend classes for the SL parts and have frees for the HL parts.

As for subject difficultly, it really depends on what you're good at. The workload will be pretty high at times, but I'm sure it'll be manageable. HL maths would probably be difficult at first given the large gap between Y11 maths, but it'll probably get better as you progress through the course.

ReputationRep:
    HL maths and physics are the 2 hardest IB subjects but they do tend to complement each other. HL Chemistry is also a lot maths maths compared to SL chemistry. As long as you're very strong at maths you should be okay. In my honest opinion I actually think A level maths is easier than SL maths so you wouldn't really have to study another subject doing it that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slab)
    Hi. I'm in IB2 right now and I take HL Maths Physics and Chemistry. I just wanted to say that while the three subjects are definitely hard, they are most definitely not impossible. If you are getting A* in science right now you have a good chance of getting a 6/7 in Physics and Chemistry, depending on the quality of your teachers and your organisation. Even if your teachers aren't good, it's possible to self study a lot of the syllabus. What you would have to focus on are your IAs (internal assessments I.e. lab reports) because these don't exist in GCSE.

HL Maths is a bit different, even getting an A* in GCSE Maths cannot guarantee a 5 because the question are difficult. Note the content isn't really difficult per se, but the way the questions are worded often require a lot of thinking and aren't always very straightforward, you need to know the content well and how to combine different parts of the syllabus in order to do well. This sounds scary, but as you go through the course, do past paper questions and you'll get a feel of the questions, and then you'll understand what to do.

Really the main problem that most people face is procrastination and lack of organisation. All three of thexe require quite a bit of time and effort, and when coupled with deadlines from other subjects and EE and TOK, it WILL get overwhelming. My advice to you therefore is to combine a few 'easy' subjects along with your HLs (SL Econ is a good choice, I didn't take it in GCSE and I find it easy because a lot of it is very logical and just common sense). Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    HL Econ
    HL Chem
    HL Film

SL Chinese B
    SL Eng Lang Lit
    SL Maths

Do I still have my doors open for business/econ major?
    Is HL chem basically useless without the combination with HL Bio?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    HL Econ
    HL Chem
    HL Film

SL Chinese B
    SL Eng Lang Lit
    SL Maths

Do I still have my doors open for business/econ major?
    Is HL chem basically useless without the combination with HL Bio?
    Major? Do you want to study in the US? If the UK, depending on the universities you want to go into, HL maths in needed for economics. HL chem isn't useless without Bio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gravesy)
    I think doing economics, especially if your taking it at HL, means that SL maths will be absolutely fine. At HL it becomes a different kind of maths to what you need in economics.
    ^I completely disagree with that statement. If you are planning on applying for programmes in economics, especially in the UK, HL math is extremely beneficial --> in terms of preparing you for your university coursework in economics, as well as maximizing your chances of getting into a top econ programme.

I myself graduated with an IB diploma last May, studying HL Math, and applied for some of the top econ programs in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I plan on studying nursing and I am unsure what subjects to pick.

I am thinking of picking:

HL

Pshycology
    Business studies
    Visual art

SL

Maths/Maths studies
    English
    Swedish

Would I be able to apply to nursing courses in the uk with said subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 333obi)
    I plan on studying nursing and I am unsure what subjects to pick.

I am thinking of picking:

HL

Pshycology
    Business studies
    Visual art

SL

Maths/Maths studies
    English
    Swedish

Would I be able to apply to nursing courses in the uk with said subjects?
    I think you'd need HL Biology for nursing courses - take that instead of visual arts or business studies. I think the rest of your options are fine, but i'm not too sure about maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbunny)
    I think you'd need HL Biology for nursing courses - take that instead of visual arts or business studies. I think the rest of your options are fine, but i'm not too sure about maths.
    Wouldn't psychology be enough to get into nursing since it is a social science?

ReputationRep:
    IMO Nursing would require Biology + Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbunny)
    I searched the requirements of several universities to get an idea of what they require, but it seems to be rather mixed. Southampton and Nottingham for example seem to have no requirements other than an overall score, while Manchester seems to require a science (either bio or chem) for adult nursing, but accepts psychology for child nursing. Leeds appears to ask for HL biology for child nursing, but doesn't specify anything for the other courses.

So overall, it seems to me like biology (at HL especially) is generally preferred and will be advantageous, but it's only required by a few universities.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be entering junior year and I have most of my courses picked out, but I've run into a couple of issues.

I know for sure that I'll be taking IB US History (HL), AP Calculus AB (SL), IB Biology (HL), AP/IB Spanish IV (SL), IB English (HL), and Theory of Knowledge/Elective.

In my senior year, I will have finished my foreign language requirement, and have no need to take an elective (also, there are very few interesting ones offered). That would leave me with only five courses. I know I want to take Psychology (SL), and I'd like to take it junior year, but that would give me seven periods junior year (and an early wake-up) and only five senior year.

1. Is it worth it to get as many credits as possible in my junior year, even if it means a very full schedule?
    2. Should I worry about only taking five classes my last year in high school?
    3. Should I take psychology in senior year to do an even six and six each grade, even if it means less credits junior year?
    4. Should I look into taking an extra elective senior year to do seven junior/ six senior?
    5. Are expensive online classes even a viable option?

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be entering junior year and I have most of my courses picked out, but I've run into a couple of issues.

I know for sure that I'll be taking IB US History (HL), AP Calculus AB (SL), IB Biology (HL), AP/IB Spanish IV (SL), IB English (HL), and Theory of Knowledge/Elective.

In my senior year, I will have finished my foreign language requirement, and have no need to take an elective (also, there are very few interesting ones offered). That would leave me with only five courses. I know I want to take Psychology (SL), and I'd like to take it junior year, but that would give me seven periods junior year (and an early wake-up) and only five senior year.

1. Is it worth it to get as many credits as possible in my junior year, even if it means a very full schedule?
    2. Should I worry about only taking five classes my last year in high school?
    3. Should I take psychology in senior year to do an even six and six each grade, even if it means less credits junior year?
    4. Should I look into taking an extra elective senior year to do seven junior/ six senior?
    5. Are expensive online classes even a viable option?

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, at uni I'm planning on studying architecture. I'm doing the IB and my options currently are:

French HL
    Physics HL
    Economics HL
    Maths SL
    English SL
    Art SL

My sort of dilemma is, that I'm not sure about SL art. What's the difference between HL and SL art. At GCSE, I'm predicted a strong/high A grade, but I am quite slow and I spend a lot of time on my art. I've talked to careers and teachers and they think getting a 7 is SL maths for me will be achievable. All my other subjects I'm predicted A*'s in and received A's and A*'s in them for my mocks. Thanks! X

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm in last year of IB and I don't take art myself but I know that HL is VERY time consuming...I think they have to have 18 pieces by the end and SL have to have 12. It really depends on you and whether you think you can handle the work!

If I were you I'd have a quick look at some good architecture courses in universities you may be interested in and see whether they require HL art. You don't want to take SL then find out it isn't enough to get you into your dream uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilys7)
    Hi, at uni I'm planning on studying architecture. I'm doing the IB and my options currently are:

French HL
    Physics HL
    Economics HL
    Maths SL
    English SL
    Art SL

My sort of dilemma is, that I'm not sure about SL art. What's the difference between HL and SL art. At GCSE, I'm predicted a strong/high A grade, but I am quite slow and I spend a lot of time on my art. I've talked to careers and teachers and they think getting a 7 is SL maths for me will be achievable. All my other subjects I'm predicted A*'s in and received A's and A*'s in them for my mocks. Thanks! X
    You may want to look up various universities and find out what their requirements are. I've heard a number of universities do require a portfolio for architecture, some also ask for HL maths. While there are many universities that will probably accept both subjects at SL, you may want to look it up first, depending on where you want to study.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I like the idea of becoming a genetic engineer one day. I'm also an aspiring writer. What subjects do you suggest I take? I'm interested in going to university in the US.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.