Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandoona1998)
    That's amazing a 7 in English lit and history , wow I'm seriously amazed . Oh that's nice , I'm fluent in Arabic . Good luck
    Haha hal anta (anti?) araby (arabya?).

I never expected a 7 in English lit. The exams saved me, and brought me from a medium 6 to a high 7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    Haha hal anta (anti?) araby (arabya?).

I never expected a 7 in English lit. The exams saved me, and brought me from a medium 6 to a high 7.
    Yup , Ana arabiya !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandoona1998)
    I once read an article that said if you get an A* in IGCSE math then go for HL and if you get A/B then go for SL and if you get C or less then go for studies so I guess you will be more than fine in studies if you're between a C and B .
    Good luck
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    just a general question, other than reading books to prepare for language subjects, what other things can i do to prepare myself for IB? like, should i join some kind of activities just so I can put them on my CV for university later?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PumpkinNox13009)
    just a general question, other than reading books to prepare for language subjects, what other things can i do to prepare myself for IB? like, should i join some kind of activities just so I can put them on my CV for university later?
    You're usually recommended to just relax and enjoy your summer since you'll be swamped with work during your next summer. Just enjoy yourself! However, if your maths is quite rusty i'd practice a bit to make things easier for yourself since the difference between IGCSE maths and SL/HL is really big.

Joining activities to beef up your university application is a great idea, go ahead with it. If you intend on applying to any American universities this will be looked upon favourably since they do ask for any summer activities you've done. Or if you plan on applying to the UK, getting work experience done is always helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Helloo,
    I NEED HELP!

I want to pursue engineering/economics at a university in the US. However, I also wanted to leave the room open for English Literature...

My IB subjects are:

HL Math
    HL English
    HL Physics

SL Economics
    SL Psychology
    SL French

1. Can I go into English Literature with only English SL?
    2. I feel that my choice of HLs will be very challenging... Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Habiba_29)
    Helloo,
    I NEED HELP!

I want to pursue engineering/economics at a university in the US. However, I also wanted to leave the room open for English Literature...

My IB subjects are:

HL Math
    HL English
    HL Physics

SL Economics
    SL Psychology
    SL French

1. Can I go into English Literature with only English SL?
    2. I feel that my choice of HLs will be very challenging... Any suggestions?
    Your subject choices seem absolutely perfect don't change a thing! I know for sure that you can't study literature in the UK with only SL but since universities in the US aren't picky about what subjects you take for IB I think they'd be fine with SL - however you are better off emailing the universities your interested in to make sure they don't care. But i'd still advise you to take HL literature as it shows universities your interest in pursuing the subject further. Plus, there is little difference between HL and SL literature (you read extra books in HL and the marking criteria is stricter) so you'd be actually doing yourself a disfavour by moving literature to SL and picking up another HL subject that is content heavy (read: psychology/economics).

Yes, your HL subjects are literally some of the hardest subjects available to get a 7 in . Maths/physics are reputed as the HARDEST HL's out there but you shouldn't feel intimidated if they're your forte, your interested in them and require them to get into engineering courses. English is generally not perceived as an relatively easy HL subject either because getting a 7 is very unpredictable since it'is so subjective. If you do want to make things easier for yourself, I'd recommend taking HL economics since it'll most probably be easier than literature if you pick up concepts easily and can memorise a lot of graphs etc.

Since engineering and literature are extremely different university courses I think you should do yourself a favour by deciding now between lit, engineering and economics. If you decide on literature you won't need to burden your self with maths and physics HL and can drop them to SL and pick up economics/psychology HL. And if you decide on economics US universities don't care about whether you've taken SL/HL maths so you won't be burdened with HL physics and maths if you decide to take SL.

Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! This indeed helped me ALOT

ReputationRep:
    I was skimming over the syllabus and found that IB geography is more connected to human relationship to resources than actual earth science. Even so, would it be useful for someone who has minor interest in pursuing geology or a related course on the side? How connected is the IB geography course to climate change and environmental issues? Are there differences between SL and HL in this regard? Any help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PumpkinNox13009)
    thanks Calllu-m!

wow how did you get a 7 in history? :eek: i heard its near impossible to achieve
    It was fine. I just learnt everything I needed to, and learnt how to use historiography effectively. I also worked hard on my IA, and got full marks in it.

ReputationRep:
    so i asked my school recently apparently i can pick Chinese B, but it have to be HL...I'm wondering should I choose it. On one hand universities might not like it but they might also look at my score, which would definitely be dragged lowered if I take Chinese A, but I'm a native speaker, so I'm wondering should I

a.) take B and risk not getting accepted at all
    b.) Lang+Lit but with lower score

does my total score really matter that much? FYI, ideally I want to study eng-lit in the UK

if I take Chi B HL then that means I would take Geo at SL instead of HL (my other HLs are History and Eng Lit, other SLs are Math Studies, Bio)

the easy solution would be to take Chinese B at SL but my school doesn't offer it

P.S.: is there by chance anyone else from Hong Kong here? I saw on a forum that you only need, like, two years of knowing a language to do it in B, which makes it sound very easy. I was wondering what the difficulty of Lang+Lit would be like, because my Chinese teacher keep emphasizing how hard Lang+Lit is and that we shouldn't pick it just because it seems like an easy option (reads the least amount of books)

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I want to study engineering in the states and I want to ask if taking Maths, Chemistry and Physics at HL is wise or suicide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jumponright)
    Hello,

I want to study engineering in the states and I want to ask if taking Maths, Chemistry and Physics at HL is wise or suicide.
    Depends on which disciple of engineering you are interested in tbh. I'd definitely take maths and physics higher level and depending on the discipline you'd like to study, I'd take SL chemistry or something else. If you are interested in either biomedical or chemical engineering then taking chemistry higher level would be useful but not necessary as American universities don't exactly look at the exact subjects you take as they only care about overall rigor. If your looking at any other discipline of engineering you don't need to take chemistry higher level let alone chemistry so if you are interested in taking another subject, go ahead and take it!

And yes the combination you've mentioned above is extremely challenging but if the sciences/maths are your niche then you won't find it too bad.

Hope I Helped!

ReputationRep:
    I'm an I/GCSE student and I'm considering taking these subjects:
    Maths
    English Language and Literature
    French B
    History
    Economics
    Biology

I didn't do an IGCSE in History - the last time I took it was 2012. I'm not a science person, but did GCSE Biology. Which subjects should I take at HL and SL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iodised)
    I'm an I/GCSE student and I'm considering taking these subjects:
    Maths
    English Language and Literature
    French B
    History
    Economics
    Biology

I didn't do an IGCSE in History - the last time I took it was 2012. I'm not a science person, but did GCSE Biology. Which subjects should I take at HL and SL?
    Do you have an idea of what you'd like to study in uni? And where? You might want to check if there are any specific subjects you have to study at HL for your course.

Other than that, I'd say that's a very solid combination that can lead to many different paths. If your leaning towards science you can think about taking HL Bio and Econ; for arts, HL English and French. From what I hear though, History is notoriously hard at IB so talk to your teachers before choosing it at HL if that's what you have in mind. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For the IB I was thinking of choosing the following subjects:

HL
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics/Biology

SL
    English
    French
    Economics

In the future, I want to pursue a career in the financial markets and was thinking of pursuing a degree in either Economics or Chemical Engineering. If this plan fails, then I'll try and pursue medicine.

Are my subject choices satisfactory for what I want to do in future? And should I choose physics or biology?

thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abigail706)
    For the IB I was thinking of choosing the following subjects:

HL
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics/Biology

SL
    English
    French
    Economics

In the future, I want to pursue a career in the financial markets and was thinking of pursuing a degree in either Economics or Chemical Engineering. If this plan fails, then I'll try and pursue medicine.

Are my subject choices satisfactory for what I want to do in future? And should I choose physics or biology?

thanks x
    I took almost the exact same combination (physics; Spanish instead of French) and will be off to UCL for Chem Eng in September. Definitely choose Physics if you're planning to go into Chem Eng, some unis even require it. Some people might say Bio is easier than Physics but honestly it depends on the student; plus Physics fits better with the other two (probably totally biased cuz I never liked Bio ). For Med Bio is of course more useful but many unis will accept having just Chem HL + other sciences, provided that you get good grades overall

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just finished the MYP programme last june and going to start IBDP next week. For the time being I plan on majoring in Psychology and Business Management (joint major). I'm not sure if it's a good combination of subjects but i've chosen the following subjects :

HL
    Biology
    Economics
    Business Studies / Theatre

SL
    Math / Math Studies
    English A Lang & Lit
    French

I've searched the entry requirements of several universities such as Glasgow, Bath, UCL, University of British Columbia, etc but most of them doesn't specify what subjects I should take. However, they do listed the minimum overall score and grades for HL subjects.

Please help me decide what subjects to pick. Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anndya)
    I just finished the MYP programme last june and going to start IBDP next week. For the time being I plan on majoring in Psychology and Business Management (joint major). I'm not sure if it's a good combination of subjects but i've chosen the following subjects :

HL
    Biology
    Economics
    Business Studies / Theatre

SL
    Math / Math Studies
    English A Lang & Lit
    French

I've searched the entry requirements of several universities such as Glasgow, Bath, UCL, University of British Columbia, etc but most of them doesn't specify what subjects I should take. However, they do listed the minimum overall score and grades for HL subjects.

Please help me decide what subjects to pick. Thank you for your help!
    Biology higher level is required for psychology, so stick with it - Keep in mind some universities require chemistry higher level too. Economics is also a good subject to take if you intend on majoring in Business Management. I'd advice you to avoid business and management higher level since it's a soft subject. If you're adamant about taking it make sure you take it as a standard level subject since British universities focus less on SL subjects. I'd then pull up English Lang&Lit or French to higher level to comprise for business and management. Taking standard level theatre in lieu of business and management might be a good idea since taking both economics and business and management is overkill (and is disliked by universities - my school has banned this combo).

Definitely take standard level maths (non studies) as you're expected to have a solid base in maths if you plan on majoring in business.

Check to see that the universities you're interested in don't require higher level chemistry for psychology. If they do you'd obviously need to drop business/theatre entirely. Either of this combos would be ideal:

(If you need to take HL Chemistry)

HL
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Economics

SL
    Maths
    English A Lang&Lit
    French

Or

HL
    Biology
    English A/French
    Economics

SL
    Maths
    English A/French
    B&M/Theatre

Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am undecided as to whether I should take HL Biology or HL English Lit as my third higher. My other higher levels would be Geography and German. At the moment I am leaning towards English but which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.