Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmm98)
    Hello,

I am undecided as to whether I should take HL Biology or HL English Lit as my third higher. My other higher levels would be Geography and German. At the moment I am leaning towards English but which one would you recommend?

Thanks.
    It depends on what you'd like to study at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbunny)
    It depends on what you'd like to study at university?
    I'm not really too sure at the moment. Probably not anything science related. Possibly Geography or Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmm98)
    I'm not really too sure at the moment. Probably not anything science related. Possibly Geography or Law.
    I'd take HL English in your case as it seems more relevant/useful. Taking higher level biology in essence seems like a waste as it is very time consuming (not that english isnt but atleast its more useful). Since there is a HUGE difference between hl/sl biology and little difference between sl/hl English, you'd be doing yourself a favour by taking bio at sl and English at hl as it would lessen your workload.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take HL English in your case as it seems more relevant/useful. Taking higher level biology in essence seems like a waste as it is very time consuming (not that english isnt but atleast its more useful). Since there is a HUGE difference between hl/sl biology and little difference between sl/hl English, you'd be doing yourself a favour by taking bio at sl and English at hl as it would lessen your workload.
    Ah okay thanks for the advice, very useful

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I am starting in a couple days and I have chosen: HL Maths, Economics and Biology then SL Spanish, English Lit and Physics. I intend on heading to UCL or Warwick to study Economics with high scores in IB.

Any thoughts on my subject choices? Or any tips on studying for these and achieving 7's?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasir42)
    Hey guys, I am starting in a couple days and I have chosen: HL Maths, Economics and Biology then SL Spanish, English Lit and Physics. I intend on heading to UCL or Warwick to study Economics with high scores in IB.

Any thoughts on my subject choices? Or any tips on studying for these and achieving 7's?

Thanks
    hey your combination seems absolutely fine since you meet the requirements being HL maths and Economics. If you enjoy Biology stick with that too. I finished my first year now (with HL math&econ as well) and my tips for economics are read a lot of stuff outside your studies since you need examples in your essays to achieve good marks. With maths revise every topic once in a while and see if you are still able to do the very hard problems you should be fine then.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I plan on taking law in IB but I haven't taken history for my iGCSEs. A lot of people have told me that I can still take History HL, but some are advising me to take it at SL, and take another subject at HL. So far, this is my subject combination:

English Lit Lang HL
    Maths HL
    Economics HL

History SL
    French SL
    Physics SL

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airria79)
    Hey guys,
    I plan on taking law in IB but I haven't taken history for my iGCSEs. A lot of people have told me that I can still take History HL, but some are advising me to take it at SL, and take another subject at HL. So far, this is my subject combination:

English Lit Lang HL
    Maths HL
    Economics HL

History SL
    French SL
    Physics SL

Any advice?
    Don't listen to whoever has told you that you can't do History HL if you haven't taken history IGCSE. There is no correlation between the two and group 3 IB subjects are made to require no previous knowledge/experience. Any historical knowledge you lack will be made up for throughout the two years of IB history. However, if you personally don't feel comfortable taking it at higher level then by all means don't - it's not a requirement for law, in fact, there are no subject requirements for law (but essay-based subjects are preferred). I personally think you should take history HL in lieu of maths HL as maths higher level is overkill in your case as you don't need it for university and incase you weren't aware - it's crazy hard (not that history isn't). Plus, there is little difference between SL/HL history where as there is a HUGE difference between SL/HL maths.

Either way, choosing between maths/history HL is completely up to you. Regardless, your current subject combination is perfectly fine for law.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm an IGCSE student who is doing English, Maths, Hindi, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, and ICT. I'm hoping to go into video game design but I'm ok with keeping my options open within the entertainment industry. These are the subjects I'm planning to take for IB.

- English: I love English, especially writing, so I'm taking HL.
    - Maths HL/SL: not sure which.
    - French ab initio: I'm really bad at Hindi, and I like the idea of learning a new language, so I'm doing French.

Other options I'm considering (in order of how much I'd like to take them):

Group 3
    - Economics / Business Studies: I like Economics, but I despise the maths part and the graphs and stuff. I've also heard that this part is the bulk of IB Eco, whereas Business Studies is less maths-based. So I might opt for BS instead.

Groups 4 and 6
    - Computer Science: I haven't taken this in years, and I have absolutely zero programming experience, but I know that it's critical to get into the gaming industry, so I'll most likely take this.
    - ITGS: It sounds similar to ICT, except with a subjective focus and looking at ethics and things like that. I enjoyed ICT, but I'm not sure if I'll take this.
    - Chemistry / Psychology: I don't really know much about Psychology. My feelings on Chemistry are ambivalent, but I'd rather not take it.
    - Visual Arts: Again I don't know anything about the subject, and if it's about things like painting, I will probably not take it.

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gkkiller)
    Hey guys, I'm an IGCSE student who is doing English, Maths, Hindi, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, and ICT. I'm hoping to go into video game design but I'm ok with keeping my options open within the entertainment industry. These are the subjects I'm planning to take for IB.

- English: I love English, especially writing, so I'm taking HL.
    - Maths HL/SL: not sure which.
    - French ab initio: I'm really bad at Hindi, and I like the idea of learning a new language, so I'm doing French.

Other options I'm considering (in order of how much I'd like to take them):

Group 3
    - Economics / Business Studies: I like Economics, but I despise the maths part and the graphs and stuff. I've also heard that this part is the bulk of IB Eco, whereas Business Studies is less maths-based. So I might opt for BS instead.

Groups 4 and 6
    - Computer Science: I haven't taken this in years, and I have absolutely zero programming experience, but I know that it's critical to get into the gaming industry, so I'll most likely take this.
    - ITGS: It sounds similar to ICT, except with a subjective focus and looking at ethics and things like that. I enjoyed ICT, but I'm not sure if I'll take this.
    - Chemistry / Psychology: I don't really know much about Psychology. My feelings on Chemistry are ambivalent, but I'd rather not take it.
    - Visual Arts: Again I don't know anything about the subject, and if it's about things like painting, I will probably not take it.

What do you guys think?
    From what i've seen from several universities entry requirements (and posts on this forum) the subjects that would be of most relevant would be maths, computer science, physics, graphic design and ICT.

English HL: quite unnecessary to be honest but since you love writing and whatnot it might be a good choice.
    Maths HL/SL: depends on whether you're 100% certain about going into game design. If not, and you're open to things like computer science then higher level maths would be necessary. However, I doubt you are so I'd stick with standard level maths - way way easier than HL. You don't want to be doing HL maths if not necessary as it's the hardest subject offered by the IBO.
    French ab initio: good choice. I was in a similar position last year. I didn't enjoy french but was good at it but i opted for spanish ab initio because there is no point in continuing on with a language I dislike for another two years. Plus, if you're struggling with IGCSE hindi then the chances of doing well in IB hindi are slim since there is a steep increase in the level of difficulty.
    Group 3: I advise you to avoid taking business because it's a soft subject and won't look good on your application. Actually, ITGS is a soft subject too but since it's relates to what you want to study, it might not be as bad a choice. However, economics is a respected subject that is fairly easy to get a 7 in, so I recommend you take it. I did IGCSE Economics too and honestly there is a lot of overlap with IB HL Economics so it'll be so much easier. If you're not into the mathematical part of economics, just do it as a SL subject so you won't need to do Paper 3 (mathematical paper)
    Group 4/6: Definitely take computer science. I'm not too sure but I think you don't have to paint in visual arts, however, if that sort of stuff doesn't interest you steer clear of art as it's a very time consuming subject.

Not doing a group 6 subject, leaves you with the option of taking taking 2 humanities (economics/ITGS) or 2 sciences (computer science/physics). That is completely up to you but I think doing 2 sciences would be better BUT the choice is yours.

Either of these subject combos would be fine:

English HL
    Computer Science HL
    Maths HL
    Economics SL
    French ab initio SL
    Physics SL

English HL
    Computer Science HL
    Economics/ITGS HL
    Maths SL
    French ab intio SL
    Physics/economics SL

If those don't appeal to you just change it up but make sure you're taking at least SL maths, computer science, physics/ITGS.

Hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    Maths HL/SL: depends on whether you're 100% certain about going into game design. If not, and you're open to things like computer science then higher level maths would be necessary. However, I doubt you are so I'd stick with standard level maths - way way easier than HL. You don't want to be doing HL maths if not necessary as it's the hardest subject offered by the IBO.
    Does IGCSE Math (Extended syllabus) do a good job of preparing me for HL? Or should I stick to SL anyway? I do fairly ok in Maths (75-85% ish usually).

English HL
    Computer Science HL
    Economics/ITGS HL
    Maths SL
    French ab intio SL
    Physics/economics SL
    I think I'll be doing some variation of this one. Thanks for your help :)

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I'm in year 11 and these are my IB subjects for next year:

Maths HL
    Physics HL
    History HL

English Lit SL
    Spanish B SL
    Economics SL

I've already received loads of great help here about what to choose, but please now can you tell me about Maths and Physics HL? Not just that they're hard; I know they are. Please could you tell me about the topics you study, and their difficulty, and where they overlap, and (if possible) where they build on stuff like IGCSE and Additional Maths? That would be really useful. Thanks so much Rx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gkkiller)
    Does IGCSE Math (Extended syllabus) do a good job of preparing me for HL? Or should I stick to SL anyway? I do fairly ok in Maths (75-85% ish usually).

I think I'll be doing some variation of this one. Thanks for your help
    Frankly, IGCSE Maths isn't sufficient preparation for higher level maths, in fact Additional Maths is the foundation of higher level maths. You really need to get an A*-B in additional maths to have a good chance of doing well in higher level maths (i.e. to get a 5/6/7). It ain't easy. I got 93% in my final IGCSE maths exam (did it in Year 10), did Additional maths in Year 11 (messed around in class all year, so I barely learn't anything) and am currently doing SL maths. It's pretty easy but I know I'm going to find it more difficult when we do more difficult topics (calculus, vectors etc). If I didn't do Additional maths, I'd find maths standard level quite hard but this of course depends on the student. For example, one of my friends got an A/A* in IGCSE maths (didn't do adds maths) and is currently doing higher level maths and is getting 6/7's where as my other friend got an A in IGCSE maths and is struggling with standard level maths. So in all honestly, it's a decision you should make with the guidance of your current maths teacher as she/he knows you're capability.

No problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romula)
    Hi everyone!

I'm in year 11 and these are my IB subjects for next year:

Maths HL
    Physics HL
    History HL

English Lit SL
    Spanish B SL
    Economics SL

I've already received loads of great help here about what to choose, but please now can you tell me about Maths and Physics HL? Not just that they're hard; I know they are. Please could you tell me about the topics you study, and their difficulty, and where they overlap, and (if possible) where they build on stuff like IGCSE and Additional Maths? That would be really useful. Thanks so much Rx
    I personally don't take HL maths/physics but two of my friends do. Additional maths is the foundation of higher level maths - make sure you understand everything as in IB you'll build up on everything you learn't in adds maths. My friends say that IGCSE physics completely differs to IB physics (HL). Read the subject guides i've linked below if you want to know which topics are covered in physics and maths.

http://www.ncbis.net/Editor/EditorImages/Math%20HL.pdf
    https://ibphysics2016.wikispaces.com...Guide_2016.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't take HL maths/physics but two of my friends do. Additional maths is the foundation of higher level maths - make sure you understand everything as in IB you'll build up on everything you learn't in adds maths. My friends say that IGCSE physics completely differs to IB physics (HL). Read the subject guides i've linked below if you want to know which topics are covered in physics and maths.

http://www.ncbis.net/Editor/EditorImages/Math%20HL.pdf
    https://ibphysics2016.wikispaces.com...Guide_2016.pdf
    Thank you very much, that's very useful!
    Are your friends on TSR, or do you know anyone who does Maths and Physics HL on here who I can talk to? Thanks! Rx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, that's very useful!
    Are your friends on TSR, or do you know anyone who does Maths and Physics HL on here who I can talk to? Thanks! Rx
    No problem! Nope my friends aren't on here. I'd advise you to go on ibsurvival.com - I've seen current/former IB students on there that take/have taken both higher level maths and physics.

ReputationRep:
    No problem! Nope my friends aren't on here. I'd advise you to go on ibsurvival.com - I've seen current/former IB students on there that take/have taken both higher level maths and physics.
    I've just been on there in the last few days, so useful, thank you so much 😊

ReputationRep:
    I've just been on there in the last few days, so useful, thank you so much
    No problem! Glad I could help

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

As some of you might know, I was going t study A-levels at Truro College. However, a lot of things went wrong (let's not go into details), so I've had to move back home. Meanwhile, I discovered that the IB is much more rigorous and more suitable for me than A-levels. For those of you who don't know, I'm hoping to study English language and literature, ideally at a top university. I'm planning to take the following subjects:

English A: literature HL
    German A: language and literature HL
    history HL
    French ab initio/Italian B SL (I'm undecided)
    maths studes SL
    computer science SL

My questions are
    a) is it possible to study two language As?
    b) I have pretty much no knowledge of Italian just yet, I've only just started learning it from scratch. I could take French ab initio, but Italian is just as tempting, and my prospective only offers Italian B, so I've decided to learn some of the language in advance with the help of native speakers online. It's going pretty well because I'm gifted at languages, what level do I need to reach by next September in order to take Italian B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorababy1995)
    Hi all,

As some of you might know, I was going t study A-levels at Truro College. However, a lot of things went wrong (let's not go into details), so I've had to move back home. Meanwhile, I discovered that the IB is much more rigorous and more suitable for me than A-levels. For those of you who don't know, I'm hoping to study English language and literature, ideally at a top university. I'm planning to take the following subjects:

English A: literature HL
    German A: language and literature HL
    history HL
    French ab initio/Italian B SL (I'm undecided)
    maths studes SL
    computer science SL

My questions are
    a) is it possible to study two language As?
    b) I have pretty much no knowledge of Italian just yet, I've only just started learning it from scratch. I could take French ab initio, but Italian is just as tempting, and my prospective only offers Italian B, so I've decided to learn some of the language in advance with the help of native speakers online. It's going pretty well because I'm gifted at languages, what level do I need to reach by next September in order to take Italian B?
    I don't think it is possible to do two As- the free option allows for a second choice from groups 2, 3, 4 or 5, and As are group 1- but doing a B language HL will be fine with top unis. And I think Bs are taught from an assumption of GCSE proficiency or equivalent.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.