Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I plan on doing Law and am already doing HL for Economics and Ab initio for French.

I got A*= MAths , physics

B and C = eng lit and lang

and i didnt take History

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't know of any subjects being specifically required for Law, so it's pretty much about getting a really good points score.

Physics and Maths might be good since you're strong in those subjects, but I have to warn you that they are HARD. A friend of mine with A*s in both had to work like hell to get 6's; I got the same grades, didn't take Physics but tried Maths HL, and dropped out after failing the first year. If they're your strengths though, they could be good choices, and universities really respect them.

You might like English HL, or you might not - it really depends on you. Quite a few people who don't get an A at GCSE find the IB course much more to their liking and do really well, and vice versa - some people peak at GCSE but don't like the structure of English A1. Don't do it if you don't like English and don't want to work too much at it.

And I have no idea about History, but it seems a bit risky to do a subject you've never studied at HL.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt know bout math HL and physics , since i dont take physics and i take math studies, but i do hear that they are hell... but if your confident about them and you are willing to work really really hard then maybe u should take them, however if u think that ur good at them ur just gonna be lazy then dont...
    i do take english A1 Hl, and its not that hard if u ask me.. i mean the difference between Hl and Sl is the amout of novels and the grading is a bit tougher and an extra internal assessment, so basically its a little more work, if ur up for it then go for it.. and im clueless about history .. hope this helps gd luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirlypop)
    Hello there,

I am in my last year of GCSE and I have to choose my subject soon. I would like to study preferable in the top unis, such as LSE or Cambridge. I would like to study law. Is my subject combination good to study law? I checked both the Cambridge and LSE requirements for law, and I do not see any "history" or "english"...just "academically broad subjects".

HL English
    HL History
    HL Economics

SL Math
    SL Chinese
    SL Environmental Systems

I would actually like to take less demanding subjects like business and ecosystems, but I know for top unis it is considered a soft subject...so I guess not. But are my subjects hard to score points in? PLEASE PLEASE QUOTE and give advice!
    Hi there, I actually took HL Economics for around 1.5 terms before switching it to standard. In terms of your HLs English and History are quite hard scoring subjects, but Econs is considerably easier so I think that sticking to it instead of business is better. HL Econs is not much harder than SL, just more content and memorising how the graphs work.

As for your SLs, I highly recommend you to do SL Maths; it's much more respectable. As for SL chinese, if it's at b level and you're quite proficient in chinese (ie. breezing through your GCSE one), there's no trouble of securing a 7 so it's probably best if your last SL is a solid science subject. Biology at SL is really really easy without any complicated foodchains and whatnots. I did that for 1.5 terms (before moving to HL). For each test, you can just read through the syllabus for 1-2 hours and get 90%+.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am a very confused ib-er right now....
    I have chosen the following subjects:
    HL: Econ
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Slpanish Ab initio
    English a1

my predicament is this: i want to pursue in my life the career of being an economist, financier, accountant etc. and when i look at this i know that the right thing was to choose: maths and economics, bu i feel that both physics and chemistry are taking up too much of my time whne i should be focusing on econ and maths, therefore i wantto switch out of those, anyone have nay good suggestions??
    so far the possibilities are:
    1. switch physics HL for either: Biology HL OR SL, or ecosystems and societies SL, or even physics SL
    2. Switch chemistry for: an arts (visual arts, theatre arts), or psychology HL/SL or Hist HL/SL

Need help please anyone??:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anijhof)
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Slpanish Ab initio
    English a1

my predicament is this: i want to pursue in my life the career of being an economist, financier, accountant etc. and when i look at this i know that the right thing was to choose: maths and economics, bu i feel that both physics and chemistry are taking up too much of my time whne i should be focusing on econ and maths, therefore i wantto switch out of those, anyone have nay good suggestions??
    1. switch physics HL for either: Biology HL OR SL, or ecosystems and societies SL, or even physics SL
    2. Switch chemistry for: an arts (visual arts, theatre arts), or psychology HL/SL or Hist HL/SL

I think you should have some sort of history in there- it will demonstrate how events effect the economy (wars etc)

Why on earth Physics HL? Switch for history. The workload would lighten a bit too. But keep Maths, you will need that for Econ.

You Could Switch Chem for Ecosystems and Societies, It will lighten your load too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anijhof)
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Slpanish Ab initio
    English a1

Can you do Further Maths? If so do that (soz did A-levels)

I would switch Chemistry to History as it shows you can write essays which you will need to do for a lot of Econ courses. I would disagree with the above poster and say keep Physics, as it has a great mathematical basis so is more useful than Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nk9230)
    I think you should have some sort of history in there- it will demonstrate how events effect the economy (wars etc)

Why on earth Physics HL? Switch for history. The workload would lighten a bit too. But keep Maths, you will need that for Econ.

You Could Switch Chem for Ecosystems and Societies, It will lighten your load too.
    I'm not sure this is a good idea, Ecosystems and Societies sounds like a doss subject, which won't go down well at top unis...

ReputationRep:
    you will need HL maths at a lot of unis. but do drop one of HL physics or chemistry to SL. id advise physics, as SL is very easy compared to HL. (maybe its the same for chem but i dont know that, all i know is i did SL and a friend did HL and i had it so much easier).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camera shy)
    Can you do Further Maths? If so do that (soz did A-levels)

I would switch Chemistry to History as it shows you can write essays which you will need to do for a lot of Econ courses. I would disagree with the above poster and say keep Physics, as it has a great mathematical basis so is more useful than Chemistry.
    yes, but most schools dont offer further maths SL, and IB HL maths is pretty hard anyway, and you dont need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camera shy)
    I'm not sure this is a good idea, Ecosystems and Societies sounds like a doss subject, which won't go down well at top unis...
    ah, very true.

But I still stand by switching for some SL Science.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest:
    HL Economics
    HL Maths
    HL History
    SL Physics
    SL Chemistry
    SL English A1

A HL essay subject would be good, and history seems to be the way to go, as it is more about sources and such than other popular essay subjects.
    A high standard of maths is pretty much essential. HL maths is roughly the equivalent of A2 maths and
    AS further maths, which is what alot of economics applicants have. Some will have A2 further maths, but I am aware that very few schools actually offer the equivalent SL further maths, so that doesn't matter.
    Physics is another way for you to show how mathsy you can be, plus it is also very interesting!
    Chemistry... hmm, if you preferred, you may want to switch to SL biology, or maybe something else. I wouldn't go for another essay-based subject though becuase you already have 3(ish).
    The ecosystems blah blah subject doesn't sound very... academic... so if you're aiming for top universities, scratch that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    I suggest:
    HL Economics
    HL Maths
    HL History
    SL Physics
    SL Chemistry
    SL English A1

A HL essay subject would be good, and history seems to be the way to go, as it is more about sources and such than other popular essay subjects.
    A high standard of maths is pretty much essential. HL maths is roughly the equivalent of A2 maths and
    AS further maths, which is what alot of economics applicants have. Some will have A2 further maths, but I am aware that very few schools actually offer the equivalent SL further maths, so that doesn't matter.
    Physics is another way for you to show how mathsy you can be, plus it is also very interesting!
    Chemistry... hmm, if you preferred, you may want to switch to SL biology, or maybe something else. I wouldn't go for another essay-based subject though becuase you already have 3(ish).
    The ecosystems blah blah subject doesn't sound very... academic... so if you're aiming for top universities, scratch that.
    except you have to take a foreign language (or 2nd A language)

now, if you replace SL Chemistry with French B, then you will take the exact subjects as me =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    except you have to take a foreign language (or 2nd A language)

now, if you replace SL Chemistry with French B, then you will take the exact subjects as me =)
    Are you sure? I thought it was either an A language, or a foreign language ab initio...

Hmm, well then I would suggest switching SL chemistry for SL Spanish ab initio!

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure? I thought it was either an A language, or a foreign language ab initio...

Hmm, well then I would suggest switching SL chemistry for SL Spanish ab initio!
    do you actually know anything about the IB?

ReputationRep:
    hmm i have the Spanish Ab intio, and i was thinking of taking psychology instead of chemistry and SL biology instead of Physics HL, cos Physics HL's workload is insane so far...
    which is the main thing why would i take physics HL when i am pursueing a career in Economics.... sure there is applied math but most Universities only care about: Maths and Econ, the others are added, and i was thinking as an essayish skill wouldnt the Psychology count?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow...

I want to do Economics but my subjects are

HL Maths, Economics, English A1
    SL Spanish, History, Biology

Could I be at a disadvantage because I did HL English and Biology instead of something like Physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Oh wow...

I want to do Economics but my subjects are

HL Maths, Economics, English A1
    SL Spanish, History, Biology

Could I be at a disadvantage because I did HL English and Biology instead of something like Physics?
    not the english, although HL maths and english are 2 of the toughest to get 7s in.

i wud switch SL bio for physics though. SL physics is a lot easier than HL, and given that u do maths HL you should be fine for it even if u dont like physics a lot. and yes unis (particularly LSE) like physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    do you actually know anything about the IB?
    Apart from subject content and what is required to get the diploma, no.
    I have never understood the subject combination thingy.

I don't see why this is relevant though.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from subject content and what is required to get the diploma, no.
    I have never understood the subject combination thingy.

I don't see why this is relevant though.
    you obviously dont know "what is required to get the diploma" since you did not know you need 2 languages at least one of which must be A, in order to get it.

its relevant because you cant give people advise about things you dont really understand.

so instead of telling him what subject combination to do exactly, you could have told him what subjects you think unis like.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.