Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romula)
    I don't think it is possible to do two As- the free option allows for a second choice from groups 2, 3, 4 or 5, and As are group 1- but doing a B language HL will be fine with top unis. And I think Bs are taught from an assumption of GCSE proficiency or equivalent.

Hmm... Someone has just told me the opposite about language As.

Can you please read my profile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorababy1995)

I just did... don't see anything there that would change my answer. Just saying what I know 😃

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorababy1995)

You CAN take two languages A courses. Your group 2 subject will be a language A course. Doing this will allow you to get the billingual diploma!

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, don't choose chemistry unless you want to be a doctor or study something directly chemistry related. It will save you loads of hassle.

ReputationRep:
    I have to decide what IB subjects I want to take for my diploma by the end of the week, and I must confess that I'm having a bit of a crisis. My Japanese teacher has told my class that we have to take Japanese B HL, and that in no way will she let us take an easier course as it will be unfair to less experienced Japanese speakers. So because of this, my schedule looks somewhat like this:

English HL
    Math SL
    Chemistry HL
    Biology HL
    Business HL
    Japanese B HL

I've had a lot of my friends tell me not to take four HLs, and to drop either chemistry or english. I would like to attend medical school someday, and english is one of my favorite subjects. I personally believe I can handle the load, as heavy as it may be, but what would you advise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaaaa)
    I have to decide what IB subjects I want to take for my diploma by the end of the week, and I must confess that I'm having a bit of a crisis. My Japanese teacher has told my class that we have to take Japanese B HL, and that in no way will she let us take an easier course as it will be unfair to less experienced Japanese speakers. So because of this, my schedule looks somewhat like this:

English HL
    Math SL
    Chemistry HL
    Biology HL
    Business HL
    Japanese B HL

I've had a lot of my friends tell me not to take four HLs, and to drop either chemistry or english. I would like to attend medical school someday, and english is one of my favorite subjects. I personally believe I can handle the load, as heavy as it may be, but what would you advise?
    Definitely don't drop higher level chemistry - its required for medicine. Drop business to standard level and I recommend you do the same for English. Look you'll still be doing English but by taking it at standard level, you're reducing your workload and that will give you time to focus on your highers (which are relatively hard) as well as will make getting a 7 easier - in case you weren't aware, getting 7 in English in notoriously difficult, especially at higher level. Plus, if you're doing literature, you'll only be studying 2 less books than higher level students so you won't miss out on much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbunny)
    You CAN take two languages A courses. Your group 2 subject will be a language A course. Doing this will allow you to get the billingual diploma!
    You can technically take 3 language As. 1 from group 1, 1 from group 2, and your free option. A girl I know did HL English LL, HL French Lit and HL German Lang and lit.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guy's, I've got to choose what I want to do for IB soon after I go back to school and I really need help. I want be an Investment Banker and preferably go to LSE(you need 38 minimum). My shortlist so far is:

English literature and performance
    Chinese ab initio
    B&M Hl
    Economics Sl
    Chemistry Hl
    Maths Hl

Questions
    1)I've heard Maths Hl is like death so I'm not sure whether I should risk getting a 5 or do sl and get a 7
    2)I'm also not sure about doing B&M and Econ as I've heard unis don't look at them favourably
    3)I already speak 2 languages so I'm not sure whether I should go for a 3rd which could look better on my CV or develop 1 of the 2 I already speak

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingCorneliusIII)
    Hey guy's, I've got to choose what I want to do for IB soon after I go back to school and I really need help. I want be an Investment Banker and preferably go to LSE(you need 38 minimum). My shortlist so far is:

English literature and performance
    Chinese ab initio
    B&M Hl
    Economics Sl
    Chemistry Hl
    Maths Hl

Questions
    1)I've heard Maths Hl is like death so I'm not sure whether I should risk getting a 5 or do sl and get a 7
    2)I'm also not sure about doing B&M and Econ as I've heard unis don't look at them favourably
    3)I already speak 2 languages so I'm not sure whether I should go for a 3rd which could look better on my CV or develop 1 of the 2 I already speak

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What course are you looking to apply for? I'm interested in the same field as you are (finance) so I know about the different courses and what not. Either the maths & economics, economics or accounting and finance degrees will do for banking so choose which one interests you. For the first two courses (maths & econ/economics) you have to take higher level maths (and a 7 in it is required) but for the third degree higher level maths is recommended but you can get away with standard level if you're predicted a 7 in it and have a high predicted overall score. So if you're interested in one of the first courses then you HAVE to higher level maths - there is no way around it, and the same applies for economics at all top unis.

B&M is viewed as a soft subject and unis don't like it at all so taking it as a higher level subject is a big no-no. Plus, taking both econ and B&M is a bad idea as well. Economics is a respected course so I recommend you take it as a higher level subject and that you replace B&M with another standard level subject (another group 2/3/4 subject) that interests you. You'll be doing yourself a disservice by taking a subject that is blacklisted by the uni you're interested in (LSE and Cambridge released a list of acceptable and weak a level subjects a couple of years ago - google it).

Ideal subject combo:

Economics HL
    Maths HL
    Chemistry HL
    English SL
    Chinese ab initio SL
    Filler subject SL

If you're interested definitely go for the third language. Languages are less work intensive during exam periods as you don't have to memorize big junks of information to cram for your tests/exams - you either know or don't know the material. So if you stay on top of your work throughout the 2 years, taking a third language will relieve your stress during your finals. So, I think the idea of taking up a third language is a great idea! I would have done it myself if I was good enough at a second language to take it as a higher level subject.

Hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    What course are you looking to apply for? I'm interested in the same field as you are (finance) so I know about the different courses and what not. Either the maths & economics, economics or accounting and finance degrees will do for banking so choose which one interests you. For the first two courses (maths & econ/economics) you have to take higher level maths (and a 7 in it is required) but for the third degree higher level maths is recommended but you can get away with standard level if you're predicted a 7 in it and have a high predicted overall score. So if you're interested in one of the first courses then you HAVE to higher level maths - there is no way around it, and the same applies for economics at all top unis.

B&M is viewed as a soft subject and unis don't like it at all so taking it as a higher level subject is a big no-no. Plus, taking both econ and B&M is a bad idea as well. Economics is a respected course so I recommend you take it as a higher level subject and that you replace B&M with another standard level subject (another group 2/3/4 subject) that interests you. You'll be doing yourself a disservice by taking a subject that is blacklisted by the uni you're interested in (LSE and Cambridge released a list of acceptable and weak a level subjects a couple of years ago - google it).

Ideal subject combo:

Economics HL
    Maths HL
    Chemistry HL
    English SL
    Chinese ab initio SL
    Filler subject SL

If you're interested definitely go for the third language. Languages are less work intensive during exam periods as you don't have to memorize big junks of information to cram for your tests/exams - you either know or don't know the material. So if you stay on top of your work throughout the 2 years, taking a third language will relieve your stress during your finals. So, I think the idea of taking up a third language is a great idea! I would have done it myself if I was good enough at a second language to take it as a higher level subject.

Hope I helped
    Yeah that was a massive help thanks. I'm thinking Philosophy because that would help with TOK and possibly could help provide me with a topic for my Extended Essay. However I wouldn't mind History but I would only do history HL so I could do Nazi's.

Additionally do you have any comments regarding my choice of English lit and performance over English lit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I currently am a GCSE Student, but our subject choices have to be in but the end of February and therefore I've decided to start thinking about them since it is basically 2015 January now. My desire is to go on to read Economics at Oxbridge or a Russel Group University etc.

I have a few questions so Please be best of help.
    1.) HL Maths is equivalent to Further Maths? Is it needed? I know I won't hate it, but I won't love it to bits either.
    2.) I hate English but as you know you must do it. I heard it's just English lit. For SL what are the rules for the type of texts you study? i.e you can only study a certain amount of plays, or certain number of pieces from this time period etc.

HL, Economics will definitely Happen. It's just whether I Do HL Maths. The school don't really like people dropping to SL, so I'm cautious...

My Science will be Biology so again deciding whether to do that at HL or SL.

Music or Business Managment HL?

Whatever Language done will be at Ab Initio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xphoenix)
    I currently am a GCSE Student, but our subject choices have to be in but the end of February and therefore I've decided to start thinking about them since it is basically 2015 January now. My desire is to go on to read Economics at Oxbridge or a Russel Group University etc.

I have a few questions so Please be best of help.
    1.) HL Maths is equivalent to Further Maths? Is it needed? I know I won't hate it, but I won't love it to bits either.
    2.) I hate English but as you know you must do it. I heard it's just English lit. For SL what are the rules for the type of texts you study? i.e you can only study a certain amount of plays, or certain number of pieces from this time period etc.

HL, Economics will definitely Happen. It's just whether I Do HL Maths. The school don't really like people dropping to SL, so I'm cautious...

My Science will be Biology so again deciding whether to do that at HL or SL.

Music or Business Managment HL?

Whatever Language done will be at Ab Initio.
    Hate to break it to you, but HL Maths is a MUST for economics at oxbridge and russel group unis - there is no way around it. You're going to have to stick it out. You're right in saying that HL maths is equivalent to further maths a level but the reality is that unis in the UK don't realise this and thus, equate HL maths to a level maths

I hate English too, so I understand how you feel about being forced to do English for another 2 years, I felt the exact same way last year. Honestly, don't worry about it, it's not that bad if you're teacher is good. Actually you can do SL english lit, language and literature, literature and performance. I recommend you take english lit as it's very straight forward in that you'll only be required to analyse prose and poems. That's all you'll be required to do and the course is very structure - which I assume will appeal to you as you seem like a person that favour logic. English lang/lit is all of the place and it's more work as you've got two different components to cover and know how to do for the exam.

I'm going to apply for economics but since I'm applying for American universities I don't have to do HL maths, so I opted to take HL biology and SL maths. But since you have to take HL maths, you haven't got the choice if you're prefer doing music or B&M HL. Don't do B&M at all as unis don't respect it and if you're considering LSE, all the more reason to not take it as they've blacklisted a level business studies (and so have Cambridge). Either take music or biology HL. That's completely up to you, I'd recommend music because there isn't much difference between Group 6 SL/HL where as there is a HUGE difference between SL/HL biology (you literally learn double the amount in HL). Plus, biology is very content heavy and is a pain at times, and remembering all the information is no easy task, trust me. So go with music HL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingCorneliusIII)
    Yeah that was a massive help thanks. I'm thinking Philosophy because that would help with TOK and possibly could help provide me with a topic for my Extended Essay. However I wouldn't mind History but I would only do history HL so I could do Nazi's.

Additionally do you have any comments regarding my choice of English lit and performance over English lit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you prefer lit and performance then take it instead of english lit. Universities honestly don't care about the english course you choose, unless your applying for English, which you're not so it makes no difference. Just go with the class you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    If you prefer lit and performance then take it instead of english lit. Universities honestly don't care about the english course you choose, unless your applying for English, which you're not so it makes no difference. Just go with the class you prefer.
    Great advice thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hate to break it to you, but HL Maths is a MUST for economics at oxbridge and russel group unis - there is no way around it. You're going to have to stick it out. You're right in saying that HL maths is equivalent to further maths a level but the reality is that unis in the UK don't realise this and thus, equate HL maths to a level maths

I hate English too, so I understand how you feel about being forced to do English for another 2 years, I felt the exact same way last year. Honestly, don't worry about it, it's not that bad if you're teacher is good. Actually you can do SL english lit, language and literature, literature and performance. I recommend you take english lit as it's very straight forward in that you'll only be required to analyse prose and poems. That's all you'll be required to do and the course is very structure - which I assume will appeal to you as you seem like a person that favour logic. English lang/lit is all of the place and it's more work as you've got two different components to cover and know how to do for the exam.

I'm going to apply for economics but since I'm applying for American universities I don't have to do HL maths, so I opted to take HL biology and SL maths. But since you have to take HL maths, you haven't got the choice if you're prefer doing music or B&M HL. Don't do B&M at all as unis don't respect it and if you're considering LSE, all the more reason to not take it as they've blacklisted a level business studies (and so have Cambridge). Either take music or biology HL. That's completely up to you, I'd recommend music because there isn't much difference between Group 6 SL/HL where as there is a HUGE difference between SL/HL biology (you literally learn double the amount in HL). Plus, biology is very content heavy and is a pain at times, and remembering all the information is no easy task, trust me. So go with music HL.

Quantity of Content isn't a worry for me... It's difficulty. I understand the Music Course and i'm not too attracted to it lets just say... As a result I think I may opt for biology and maybe bring in Geography in place of B&M?

I have a question about the Biology course. What type of content does it focus on? Is it memorizing Diagrams (which i'm not a fan of) or more Essay writing, research etc. building on concepts you have learnt?

So This Would be my List?
    HL Maths
    HL Economics
    HL Biology/Geography?
    SL Biology/Geography
    Ab Initio Language
    SL English

ReputationRep:
    Quantity of Content isn't a worry for me... It's difficulty. I understand the Music Course and i'm not too attracted to it lets just say... As a result I think I may opt for biology and maybe bring in Geography in place of B&M?

I have a question about the Biology course. What type of content does it focus on? Is it memorizing Diagrams (which i'm not a fan of) or more Essay writing, research etc. building on concepts you have learnt?

So This Would be my List?
    HL Maths
    HL Economics
    HL Biology/Geography?
    SL Biology/Geography
    Ab Initio Language
    SL English
    Take higher level geography because a) there isn't much difference between SL/HL geo where as I mentioned before there is a huge diff. in terms of biology b) geography is statistically after economics the easiest group 3 subject to get a 7 in (around 11%) where as getting a 7 in higher level biology is really hard (around 4%). But it's up to, if I had the choice I'd the less work intensive higher level as the IB diploma is a lot of work so you'd be doing yourself a favour by cutting your workload. Sure, you don't care about quantity - I assure you, you will when you're half way through IB and have tons of essays, coursework, CAS etc to do.

There are core topics that are taken by both SL/HL students (Cell biology, molecular biology, ecology, genetics, evolution, human physiology) and additional higher level topics - taken by HL students only, they're often extensions of the core topics (extremely detailed, makes the SL stuff look like an absolute joke) - nucleic acids, cellular respiration/photosynthesis/metabolism, plant biology, animal physiology, genetics and evolution. You do have to remember a lot of diagrams as they may ask you to label diagrams or to draw diagram for long response questions as they'll assist you in answering the question and will get you a lot marks. There are long response questions that require a bit of essay writing but more focused on building up concepts.

The reason its so hard to do in HL biology is because the HL concepts are pretty tricky and the IB biology examiners expect you to answer word for word according to the mark scheme - I legit lost 6 or 7 marks on my first test because of this, I answered the question but my answer wasn't worded as it was on the mark scheme so I didn't get any marks despite my answer being ''correct'' - that's just how IB biology is. So that means you need to memorise everything from the textbook close to word for word in order to get a 7 (only applies if you're good at biology). This makes biology extremely work intensive and quite annoying too tbh. But nonetheless, it's extremely interesting so if you're v. interested in biology and are conscious of the workload, take it as a higher level subject if you prefer it to geography.

ReputationRep:
    Now someone who does HL geography is it more human geography or physical? (Please say human)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Now someone who does HL geography is it more human geography or physical? (Please say human)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Refer to the syllabus: http://www.ncbis.net/Editor/EditorImages/Geography.pdf .Try to figure it out yourself by looking at the course content section of the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I need some help with which subjects to choose, these are the ones that I'm sure of:

Eng Lit HL
    Swedish Lit HL
    Economics HL

For standard I need to pick two out of:

Physics SL
    History SL
    ESS SL

I know my choice depends on which uni course I'm planning on taking after, but the problem is I don't know... As of now I'd say I'm equally good in those subjects.
    It would really help if anyone could tell me which combination makes more sense/ which one gives me access to which uni courses.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    So these are the subjects that I know I'm taking

Eng Lit HL
    Swedish Lit HL
    Economics HL

But then I can't decide between

Physics
    ESS
    History

for my standards, and I need two out of those. I know my choice depends on the uni course I'm pursuing after, but the problem is I don't know what I want to take.
    It would really help if anyone could recommend which two to choose/ tell me which would give me access to which uni courses!
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.