Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oneeleven)
    Hi!
    I need some help with which subjects to choose, these are the ones that I'm sure of:

Eng Lit HL
    Swedish Lit HL
    Economics HL

For standard I need to pick two out of:

Physics SL
    History SL
    ESS SL

I know my choice depends on which uni course I'm planning on taking after, but the problem is I don't know... As of now I'd say I'm equally good in those subjects.
    It would really help if anyone could tell me which combination makes more sense/ which one gives me access to which uni courses.
    Thanks!
    What are more interested in maths & science or the arts and humanities/social sciences? Taking two science and/or one science and math at higher level opens up your options a lot. But it depends on what your interest are as that subject combination won't be suitable for everyone.

I'd recommend not taking ESS because it's a soft subject - universities don't like it and know its a weak subject. BUT if your not interested in science your much better off taking it than physics SL as it's really difficult and probably the hardest standard level subject out there. History SL is also hard but I recommend you take it if you're interested in the humanities or social sciences as it'll open up your options along with economics -> plus economics and history are well respected subjects!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

So this is my first time posting, so if I get somethingwrong, I’m really sorry.

So my question is about choosing my IB classes for the DP.

My school has a really small selection.

My dream is to study psychology at Oxford.

Here are the courses offered at my school

Group 1-language a1:

English A1 HL

Group 2-second language:
    Spanish B HL
    Spanish B SL

French B HL
    French B SL

Group 3- individuals and saciities:
    History of the Americas hl
    Psychology SL
    ITGS SL

Group 4- experimental sciences:
    Biology HL
    Physics SL
    Environmental Systems and saciities SL

Group 5- mathamatics:
    Maths HL
    Maths SL
    Math Studies SL

Group 6- the arts
    Visual arts HL

So my plan would be:
    English A1 hl (no choice.)
    Spanish B SL (I’m really bad at Spanish, even though I’ve studiedit for years and years.)
    History HL
    Environmental Systems and Saciities SL
    Maths HL
    Psychology SL

I would take Bio HL, but I really hate that biology stuff,and so I wouldn’t do as well. I’m a very humanities orientated person, exceptfor my weird liking of maths. My teachers and guidance counsalers all say totake maths HL, even though my first plan was to take studies! Sooo… Any and alladvice is welcome—I really don’t know what to do because my options are solimited! I’d love to take Psychology HL, or further maths HL, or Geography orphilosophy or world religions or Chem HL or B&M HL/SL or Econ HL/SL, or something,but my school doesn’t offer any of that, and I really suck at online learning,so that won’t work. I’m willing to do anything—Saturday school—summerschool—whatever !

Thanks, and sorry for the really long post!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pelagia)
    Hey guys,

So this is my first time posting, so if I get somethingwrong, I’m really sorry.

So my question is about choosing my IB classes for the DP.

My school has a really small selection.

My dream is to study psychology at Oxford.

Here are the courses offered at my school

Group 1-language a1:

English A1 HL

Group 2-second language:
    Spanish B HL
    Spanish B SL

French B HL
    French B SL

Group 3- individuals and saciities:
    History of the Americas hl
    Psychology SL
    ITGS SL

Group 4- experimental sciences:
    Biology HL
    Physics SL
    Environmental Systems and saciities SL

Group 5- mathamatics:
    Maths HL
    Maths SL
    Math Studies SL

Group 6- the arts
    Visual arts HL

So my plan would be:
    English A1 hl (no choice.)
    Spanish B SL (I’m really bad at Spanish, even though I’ve studiedit for years and years.)
    History HL
    Environmental Systems and Saciities SL
    Maths HL
    Psychology SL

I would take Bio HL, but I really hate that biology stuff,and so I wouldn’t do as well. I’m a very humanities orientated person, exceptfor my weird liking of maths. My teachers and guidance counsalers all say totake maths HL, even though my first plan was to take studies! Sooo… Any and alladvice is welcome—I really don’t know what to do because my options are solimited! I’d love to take Psychology HL, or further maths HL, or Geography orphilosophy or world religions or Chem HL or B&M HL/SL or Econ HL/SL, or something,but my school doesn’t offer any of that, and I really suck at online learning,so that won’t work. I’m willing to do anything—Saturday school—summerschool—whatever !

Thanks, and sorry for the really long post!!!

http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/study/underg...ryrequirements
    http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/study/undergrad/ppl-course

Above are the requirements for the two psychology courses oxford offers. As you can see you need to take a minimum of one of psychology or biology or chemistry or physics higher level. So if you choose not to do higher level biology you have 0 chance of getting into oxford for psychology. As matter of fact, not doing any higher level science (preferably biology) at higher level means you don't meet the requirements of most psychology courses in the UK. So i recommend you reconsider - if you're not willing to take psychology and/or know that you won't be able to get at least a 6 in it don't even both applying for psychology at Oxford. I strongly urge you to reconsider your choice of not taking biology HL. The rest of your subject choices are fine..except why are you taking higher level maths - unless you're REALLY good at maths and are v. passionate about maths don't take higher level maths as it's the hardest subject the IBO offers (save for further maths HL) so it'll likely lower your overall score and a high overall score is necessary for schools like Oxford (minimum 39/45 points).

ReputationRep:
    Thank You! Yeah, I'll have to decide in a week... It's gonna be tough. (And sorry for the double posts... computer was playing games with me)
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I wish I did IB. I would have done Economics, English Literature, History, Japanese, Mathematics and Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Sometimes I wish I did IB. I would have done Economics, English Literature, History, Japanese, Mathematics and Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I doubt it. Its sounds great in theory but because of all the coursework and the extra components it really is too much at times! But I will admit its pretty enjoyable if you've got great teachers and whatnot. What deterred you from choosing IB in the end? Or did you not have the choice?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbunny)
    I doubt it. Its sounds great in theory but because of all the coursework and the extra components it really is too much at times! But I will admit its pretty enjoyable if you've got great teachers and whatnot. What deterred you from choosing IB in the end? Or did you not have the choice?
    Our school doesn't do IB and I didn't really know much about it! What subjects do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Our school doesn't do IB and I didn't really know much about it! What subjects do you do?
    Ah, I see. I take HL Biology, Psychology, Economics and SL Maths, Spanish ab initio, English literature

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide on my IB subjects for this year, so I was hoping to get some advice:

Subjects that I will be doing for sure:
    Mandarin B SL
    Physics SL

Subjects I'm trying to decide on:
    Economics HL
    English Lit HL
    History SL
    Maths HL (Because I'm studying a pretty rigorous curriculum for maths in China at the moment, I have been advised by one of my teachers to take HL. She feels that I will be bored in SL maths, but I'm not too confident about that (mostly because of everything I've seen on studentroom regarding HL maths).

I hope to study law at Cambridge, UCL, or LSE.

Oh and do you guys know how the IAs and the workload in general are for these subjects?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thirdcultureteen)
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide on my IB subjects for this year, so I was hoping to get some advice:

Subjects that I will be doing for sure:
    Mandarin B SL
    Physics SL

Subjects I'm trying to decide on:
    Economics HL
    English Lit HL
    History SL
    Maths HL (Because I'm studying a pretty rigorous curriculum for maths in China at the moment, I have been advised by one of my teachers to take HL. She feels that I will be bored in SL maths, but I'm not too confident about that (mostly because of everything I've seen on studentroom regarding HL maths).

I hope to study law at Cambridge, UCL, or LSE.

Oh and do you guys know how the IAs and the workload in general are for these subjects?

Thanks!!
    At my school, several people who were, according to my teacher, very able-mathematicians ended up swapping maths for maths studies because they found SL - yes, standard level - too hard. In fact, the entire department hasn't even given anyone currently achieving a "B" or below in iGCSE maths the opportunity to take SL maths (much less HL), so most (including me *waves "I-almost-got-an-A-flag"*) are stuck with maths studies :P

I'm not entirely sure about workload, though; I'm mostly going off of IB talks I had this year and acquaintances whom I talked to in regards to my choices.

Personally, I think that you should take SL maths especially as you're planning to go into law; there isn't an overwhelming need for maths in that career, I believe, and SL should suffice

ReputationRep:
    These are the subjects I've (finally) settled upon for IB:

HLs - English Language and Literature, Economics, Computer Science
    SLs - Visual Art, Maths, Spanish ab initio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gkkiller)
    These are the subjects I've (finally) settled upon for IB:

HLs - English Language and Literature, Economics, Computer Science
    SLs - Visual Art, Maths, Spanish ab initio
    That's a very interesting subject combination! What do you plan on studying at university?

And good luck with IB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeFeuilly)
    At my school, several people who were, according to my teacher, very able-mathematicians ended up swapping maths for maths studies because they found SL - yes, standard level - too hard. In fact, the entire department hasn't even given anyone currently achieving a "B" or below in iGCSE maths the opportunity to take SL maths (much less HL), so most (including me *waves "I-almost-got-an-A-flag"*) are stuck with maths studies :P

I'm not entirely sure about workload, though; I'm mostly going off of IB talks I had this year and acquaintances whom I talked to in regards to my choices.

Personally, I think that you should take SL maths especially as you're planning to go into law; there isn't an overwhelming need for maths in that career, I believe, and SL should suffice
    Thanks for the advice! I think I'm still going to take HL math though, simply because I really like math.

ReputationRep:
    That's a very interesting subject combination! What do you plan on studying at university?

And good luck with IB
    Visual Art + Comp Science should hopefully lead me into the game design field. If that doesn't work out, my plan is to be a screenwriter / novelist, which is where English comes into play. I know that I should probably take HL Art, but I haven't done Art as a subject before. Alsom I've heard that HL Art is extremely time consuming and I'm not extremely skilled at Art - a little above average, at best. I haven't taken Computer Science before either, but programming can be learned - it's not as talent based as Art - so hopefully my subject choices don't bite me in the ass, haha. Economics is only there because I like it as a subject more than the alternatives (Psychology, Business or History).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gkkiller)
    Visual Art + Comp Science should hopefully lead me into the game design field. If that doesn't work out, my plan is to be a screenwriter / novelist, which is where English comes into play. I know that I should probably take HL Art, but I haven't done Art as a subject before. Alsom I've heard that HL Art is extremely time consuming and I'm not extremely skilled at Art - a little above average, at best. I haven't taken Computer Science before either, but programming can be learned - it's not as talent based as Art - so hopefully my subject choices don't bite me in the ass, haha. Economics is only there because I like it as a subject more than the alternatives (Psychology, Business or History).
    That's cool My best friend does HL art - she actually switched from SL to HL and moved economics down to SL, her reasoning was that there was very little between HL/SL art and that she'd rather spend her extra time working on art rather than economics since its important for her university course and career. In your case, stick with SL if you're not confident in your art skills but I have got to say that you will make a lot of progress throughout the course in terms of the quality of your work, my friend's drawing skills and what not have improved quite a lot in just a couple of months (we're in IB 1). You made the right choice by going with econ (not biased at all ) - its an extremely interesting course and the theories you'll learn about can be mostly applied to real life so you'll benefit from the knowledge you gain in that class irrespective of your university/career plans.Plus, its an easy 6 or 7. But I must add that if you don't end up enjoying it seriously consider taking psychology, its just as interesting (but is a ton more work lol).

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have a question. I am in my first year of IB and my subjects currently are:
    HL English A2 Lang&Lit, French B, History, Mathematics
    SL Biology, Polish A1

However, I've always been rather a humanities/social sciences type and after the first semester my Maths grade is, well, bad :/ I want to try to put more effort into Maths this semester, I'm taking additional classes, however I don't know if it's worth it and am wondering if switching HL Maths to HL Polish wouldn't be better (I really enjoy Polish). I want to study PPE later on and want to have a more varied background and that's why I'm hesitating. I have to decide until the beginning of March when I have my IA in Polish which is different for HLs and SLs and I don't know what to do. Do you think taking Polish HL and having 5 HLs in case I'd have to drop Maths to SL would work or would it be way too much considering my other subjects and the IB workload in general? Thanks in advance for any help!

ReputationRep:
    I want to study medicine at university. Is the IB a good idea for me?
    And What are the pros and cons?
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diana99)
    I want to study medicine at university. Is the IB a good idea for me?
    And What are the pros and cons?
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some universities are really starting to like the IB, and it's great preparation for university. It's a fair bit of work and it'll keep you busy, but a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

I think the IB HL science subjects are great courses, and that's probably the only bit that matters for Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Some universities are really starting to like the IB, and it's great preparation for university. It's a fair bit of work and it'll keep you busy, but a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

I think the IB HL science subjects are great courses, and that's probably the only bit that matters for Medicine.
    Yep, and some have started to lower their overall score requirements, the kings college representative that came to my school mentioned that they've lowered all their 38-39 point requirements to 35 points!

ReputationRep:
    That's cool My best friend does HL art - she actually switched from SL to HL and moved economics down to SL, her reasoning was that there was very little between HL/SL art and that she'd rather spend her extra time working on art rather than economics since its important for her university course and career. In your case, stick with SL if you're not confident in your art skills but I have got to say that you will make a lot of progress throughout the course in terms of the quality of your work, my friend's drawing skills and what not have improved quite a lot in just a couple of months (we're in IB 1). You made the right choice by going with econ (not biased at all ) - its an extremely interesting course and the theories you'll learn about can be mostly applied to real life so you'll benefit from the knowledge you gain in that class irrespective of your university/career plans.Plus, its an easy 6 or 7. But I must add that if you don't end up enjoying it seriously consider taking psychology, its just as interesting (but is a ton more work lol).
    Oh really? I actually heard that there was a huge difference between HL and SL Art. I'm fairly good at sketching, but otherwise not that much into art, so I think I'll be average-ish. On the other hand, I quite like Economics after studying it in IGCSE for the past three years, and from what I've seen of the class, it's not that much of a jump between IGCSE Economics and IB Economics. If what you say is true, I may decide after a few weeks of class to switch Eco down to SL and Art up to HL.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.