Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romula)
    HL Maths is hard, but if you're mathsy enough for that you should be able to manage everything else. Ab initio language courses are apparently quite difficult- I wouldn't choose it as an easy option. But you'd have to talk to someone more experienced than me- I did a lot of research for my own choices, but I'm still only in Y11.

Good luck!
    i'm in my final year of IB and did Spanish ab initio and i loved it! its fun to learn a bit of a new language and if you keep up to date revising vocab/basic grammar you can do well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vking)
    I've only done GCSE equivalent Biology, Physics & Combined Science. I've never studied Chemistry on its own, however, I'd like to pursue HL Chemistry & Biology because I hope to study biomedical sciences. Am I at a big disadvantage in pursuing HL Chemistry?
    i'm in my 2nd year of IB and about to start biomedical sciences in september at edinburgh, pm me if you have any questions i take bio, chem and geography HL, maths, eng lit and spanish ab initio at SL.

HL chemistry is difficult! but if you set aside the time to revise you should be okay, you just need to be focused about it. most Biomedical sciences courses at uni actually require Chemistry grades as well as/instead of Biology grades.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm about to enroll in the IB program soon. I'm from a small int'l school somewhere in Southeast Asia. I do not have a specific university in mind, however, I'm planning to move to either North America, Europe, or Singapore after I finish.

I'm not quite sure about what I want to have as my job for when I'm older, based off the aptitude tests I've taken, I am not particularly drawn to any category unlike most of my peers, who are interested in things like Law, Medicine, etc.. Though, I do sort of think I'm interested in psychology. However, my parents want me to be involved in business, which I'm not particularly interested in, but I told them I'd give it a try.

A subject I'm good at is English. The IB coordinator told me that I was particularly good at English & Science (based off the IB Competency Examination).

I'm not quite sure about what subjects I should be taking. My school, as opposed to other bigger int'l schools in the country, does not really offer a wide selection of subjects per group.

Here's what I initially thought I would take -

HL
    Lit&Lang
    Business & Management
    Psychology

SL
    Mathematics
    Biology
    French AB initio

Is this a good selection of subjects? What if I wanted to focus on psychology more, which ones should I take? If I wanted to focus on Business more, what should I take?

I'll be enrolling mid-April, so I need to know what your opinions are soon. Thank you so much.

ReputationRep:
    If you plan on studying in Europe I'd recommend taking economics instead of buisness. 90% of Univeristies are rating econ higher than buisness. Also if you are not planning to be a writer, english teacher ect. I'd recommend droping English HL to SL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DzanYNWA)
    What about chemistry SL? So the final choice would be something like this:
    HL Math
    HL Physics
    HL Eco/Buisness

SL English
    SL ab initio Italian
    SL Chemistry

Do you reckon it will be hard?
    HL Maths and Physics together is notoriously difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vking)
    I've only done GCSE equivalent Biology, Physics & Combined Science. I've never studied Chemistry on its own, however, I'd like to pursue HL Chemistry & Biology because I hope to study biomedical sciences. Am I at a big disadvantage in pursuing HL Chemistry?
    Hey there,

I can't really give you a concrete answer because I'm unclear on what your school's course covered. If you are going to study IB in your own school, I would suggest asking your teachers for advice.

If you're transferring, ask your new school. I'm sure that they would be able to give you some sort of sample test that you could try out (maybe at the higher level of their Year 11 Chemistry course).

If none of these are viable options, check out some past chemistry papers online. If you've covered enough chemistry, you should be able to do at least some of the questions or understand what it is that they are asking.

Or you could go buy an IB HL Chem textbook and flip through to see what you'll be doing.

Hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thirdcultureteen)
    HL Maths and Physics together is notoriously difficult.
    I thought so also but all unis require both of them at HL for engineering..

ReputationRep:
    I thought so also but all unis require both of them at HL for engineering..
    Ah that is true. I'd recommend getting an IB textbook and having a head start. My school kind of does this (everything we're learning at the moment is IB stuff even though we only start next year), and I'd recommend doing practice with any areas you haven't studied in school yet. Some people found projectile motion and circular motion extremely hard, but it generally depends on what kind of a physics person you are. You might find those easy but find momentum really tough.

It might seem a bit too early to be doing prep, but from what I've been told, the two years of IB are going to be way too hectic for you to have enough time to learn and understand IB Maths and Physics HL fully in time for the tests (unless you're amazing at Physics and Maths and love them to bits. If you do, ignore everything I've said haha).

ReputationRep:
    English HL can also be really useful for law

ReputationRep:
    If you plan on studying in Europe I'd recommend taking economics instead of buisness. 90% of Univeristies are rating econ higher than buisness. Also if you are not planning to be a writer, english teacher ect. I'd recommend droping English HL to SL
    Thank you for your response Unfortunately my school doesn't have a wide selection of subjects, the only subjects available for group 3 are History, Psychology, B&M, and History. So if that's the case, would my subject selection be alright already? Which subject should I have as HL instead of English? ^^ Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    People say HL maths is harder than Further maths + Maths...

How true is this statement?
    How good do you need to be to do it? Getting basically 100% in a GCSE paper? or A solid A* each time but not 100% (85-90%)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xphoenix)
    People say HL maths is harder than Further maths + Maths...

How true is this statement?
    How good do you need to be to do it? Getting basically 100% in a GCSE paper? or A solid A* each time but not 100% (85-90%)
    IB FM + Maths is easier than just Maths. You need to practice maths constantly to improve, and having more exposure to maths really helps your understanding. The most important thing is that you understand, there's very little rote learning in Maths (you need to learn by heart a few proofs for FM).

I would avoid HL Maths and FM unless you need it for whatever at university though, it's one of the hardest subjects when you first start out, but will become one of the easier ones with practice. I'd only suggest HL Maths to people who can get a solid A* at GCSE, although there is a HUGE step up between GCSE and HL Maths. I got an A* in GCSE Maths and an A in AdMaths. Got a 3 in my first IB Maths test. I've never got 6s or even 7s consistently up until now (exams in May for me), because I've spent a lot of time practising past paper questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    IB FM + Maths is easier than just Maths. You need to practice maths constantly to improve, and having more exposure to maths really helps your understanding. The most important thing is that you understand, there's very little rote learning in Maths (you need to learn by heart a few proofs for FM).

I would avoid HL Maths and FM unless you need it for whatever at university though, it's one of the hardest subjects when you first start out, but will become one of the easier ones with practice. I'd only suggest HL Maths to people who can get a solid A* at GCSE, although there is a HUGE step up between GCSE and HL Maths. I got an A* in GCSE Maths and an A in AdMaths. Got a 3 in my first IB Maths test. I've never got 6s or even 7s consistently up until now (exams in May for me), because I've spent a lot of time practising past paper questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I meant was A level Maths and Further Maths is easier than IB Higher Maths.

Well I need HL maths minimum for university course but if my GCSE result say otherwise, then... I may need to change to A levels or Change course entirely.

So can someone address the question...

Is IB HL maths Harder than A level Maths+FM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xphoenix)
    What I meant was A level Maths and Further Maths is easier than IB Higher Maths.

Well I need HL maths minimum for university course but if my GCSE result say otherwise, then... I may need to change to A levels or Change course entirely.

So can someone address the question...

Is IB HL maths Harder than A level Maths+FM?
    A level Maths + FM will start easy then become harder I think. IB Maths is the other way around. However, in A level Maths + FM you will have more maths lessons which helps your overall understanding of maths. The IB maths course covers most of A level Maths + FM without any mechanics. I have half the number of maths lessons my A level Maths + FM friends have.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I'm putting together some resources for students who are about to begin the IB. If you let me know what you guys are looking for by filling out a short survey here, I'll know what sort of stuff to put together

I finished the IB not too long ago, finished with a 42, and happy to share what I learnt through my DP!

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,
    I need to submit my IB subject choices in few days, so I am asking you guys for an opinion.
    HL Math
    HL Computer Science
    HL Economics

SL English
    SL ab inition German

and i need one final subject. Should I pick SL Physics or something like Geography or Physcology? Please answer quick.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,I need to submit my IB subject choices in few days, so I am asking you guys for an opinion.HL MathHL Computer ScienceHL EconomicsSL EnglishSL ab inition Germanand i need one final subject. Should I pick SL Physics or something like Geography or Physcology? Please answer quick.Thank you
    Depends on what you want to become in the future. HL maths is a LOT of work but if you enjoy maths and stay on top of the work load then you'll be fine. Also HL computer science is not good for people who are not good at Java and learning theory - but if you did it at GCSE then it should be okay.

(I noticed your above post about engineering) I think that physics is better for engineering, you should check the course requirements for the universities you want to go to on UCAS though just in case. SL geography should be a breeze and I'd recommend it over psychology (more well respected).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kangie)
    Depends on what you want to become in the future. HL maths is a LOT of work but if you enjoy maths and stay on top of the work load then you'll be fine. Also HL computer science is not good for people who are not good at Java and learning theory - but if you did it at GCSE then it should be okay.

(I noticed your above post about engineering) I think that physics is better for engineering, you should check the course requirements for the universities you want to go to on UCAS though just in case. SL geography should be a breeze and I'd recommend it over psychology (more well respected).
    I changed my mind, I want to study something like software engineering, not typical engineering so Physics is not really needed. Math is not a problem for me and I'm quite good at programming. I don't really like physics but I think it would go well with other subjects. I'm just afraid that I will have to work a lot with Physics. That's why I am considering some easier subjects such as Geo or Physiology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbunny)
    Definitely don't drop higher level chemistry - its required for medicine. Drop business to standard level and I recommend you do the same for English. Look you'll still be doing English but by taking it at standard level, you're reducing your workload and that will give you time to focus on your highers (which are relatively hard) as well as will make getting a 7 easier - in case you weren't aware, getting 7 in English in notoriously difficult, especially at higher level. Plus, if you're doing literature, you'll only be studying 2 less books than higher level students so you won't miss out on much.
    Hello, there! I really appreciate your advice, and since I submitted my choices to the thread, they've changed. Now they are:

English HL
    History HL
    Chemistry HL
    Japanese B HL
    Economics SL
    Math SL

My school does not offer business SL, so I've opted for economics sl, though I've heard it is fairly challenging. I've kept chemistry, math, and japanese, but I've chosen not to take biology, as I've realized that I really don't enjoy the subject as much as I thought, and the teacher for it is not a very good one. I've previously been extremely nervous about pursuing history at sl, let alone hl, but I've spoken to the counsellor, and I've looked over the material and some past papers, and I think I can handle the work. My biggest concern is what I can assume to be an overwhelming amount of written work from History and English, which is why I've decided that if I really cannot handle the workload after the first semester, I will drop down to English SL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaaaa)
    Hello, there! I really appreciate your advice, and since I submitted my choices to the thread, they've changed. Now they arenglish HLHistory HLChemistry HLJapanese B HLEconomics SLMath SLMy school does not offer business SL, so I've opted for economics sl, though I've heard it is fairly challenging. I've kept chemistry, math, and japanese, but I've chosen not to take biology, as I've realized that I really don't enjoy the subject as much as I thought, and the teacher for it is not a very good one. I've previously been extremely nervous about pursuing history at sl, let alone hl, but I've spoken to the counsellor, and I've looked over the material and some past papers, and I think I can handle the work. My biggest concern is what I can assume to be an overwhelming amount of written work from History and English, which is why I've decided that if I really cannot handle the workload after the first semester, I will drop down to English SL.
    Hi! IB Economics, IMO, is a really nice course so I hope you enjoy it. And sure it can be challenging but if you study regularly and practice writing essays you'll be more than fine.

Oh so medicine is out of the picture now?

I understand where you're coming from but I don't think you'll be writing much less in English SL as there is very little difference in workload between SL/HL. But do drop it if you don't think you'll be able to handle the workload later on.

Good luck with IB!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.