Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just got accepted into an IB world school. I'm pretty excited and have been reading all about the subjects. Here's what I've chosen:
    History HL
    English HL
    Theatre HL
    Spanish Ab Initio
    Math Studies
    Biology SL
    What do you guys think of these subjects? I'll be very grateful for any input. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetallicElvis)
    Just got accepted into an IB world school. I'm pretty excited and have been reading all about the subjects. Here's what I've chosen:
    History HL
    English HL
    Theatre HL
    Spanish Ab Initio
    Math Studies
    Biology SL
    What do you guys think of these subjects? I'll be very grateful for any input. Thanks.
    I loved Spanish Ab Initio, and I was really glad I took it. Can't say anything about the others though

ReputationRep:
    I take more or less the same! I've found that it's a really good combo! I started off with A level then switched to ib then changed my highers so I comple understand your doubts etc. history HL is great if u like history, for part of the course you do an investigation into any part of history up to 10 years ago so for me 2005 which is amazing because you can really explore a topic not covered in the syllabus that you might be interested in. The main thing is to stick to dead lines with that and really get going fast or it hangs over you and you end up hating what is actually a really great opportunity. English HL is fab! It's such a good course!!! There is so much flexibility, it really depends on your teacher though tbh. I took Theatre HL but dropped it for art. I think it's different in each school but a good course, though from what I know it's got a bit of theory. Spanish Ab Initio is great, keep on top of vocab! Again depends on your class and teacher. I have an awesome teacher and there's 5 people in my class so it's pretty great! Maths studies is good banter, again class and teacher but I would recommend and if you got a decent GCSES or equivalent you will manage just fine. Biology SL there's a lot to learn, some is boring but you do a lot of practicals and some topics are really interesting but I think that's more personal preference. I also take Visual Art HL (instead of theatre) and I enjoy it hope this helps let me know if you have any specific questions I totally understand where you are coming from

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I have applied to do the following subjects at an IB school
    HL
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Economics

SL
    English
    Spanish
    Maths

I plan to study some form of engineering at university and i know maths, chemistry and physics will be useful for the engineering paths I am considering. Some of my friends have told me that universities only look at your higher subjects, is this really the case?
    If it is would it be better if I do HL Maths instead of economics? Please advice me anyone. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quechicadlt)
    HL
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Economics

SL
    English
    Spanish
    Maths

I plan to study some form of engineering at university and i know maths, chemistry and physics will be useful for the engineering paths I am considering. Some of my friends have told me that universities only look at your higher subjects, is this really the case?
    If it is would it be better if I do HL Maths instead of economics? Please advice me anyone. thanks.
    From what I know, the offer you receive from your university (at least in the UK) may depend on the grades you achieved in your HLs.

For any engineering course I would recommend HL math and HL physics, definitely. Unless you think you would fail it, but then maybe engineering isn't for you anyways.

Again depending on what type of engineering you were thinking of studying, I would recommend considering taking Chem SL and Econ HL, just because the combination of Maths, Chem and Physics HL is hard (from what I've heard).

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    History HL
    English HL
    Theatre HL
    Spanish Ab Initio
    Math Studies
    Biology SL
    Hi there,I really like your IB subject combinations. May I know more about IB theatre as I'm planning to take it as one of my sl subjects. Also, do you have any past experience on theatre work?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Here are the subjects I've chosen

HL
    English
    Chinese
    Economics

SL
    ESS
    Math studies
    Theatre

I don't know if HL economics is the right choice for me as I'm not very good in math. Any suggestions? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    HL
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Economics

SL
    English
    Spanish
    Maths

OMG!!!! You have the exact same subjects as me! On top of that I also am looking into engineering!!

I have the same problem as you about maths. Umm I don't know where you are based but in the UK there are some unis that accept SL maths however require a high grade in HL physics. Also they may make you take some maths modules during uni...

All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennifer579)
    Hi guys,
    Here are the subjects I've chosen

HL
    English
    Chinese
    Economics

SL
    ESS
    Math studies
    Theatre

I don't know if HL economics is the right choice for me as I'm not very good in math. Any suggestions? Thanks
    Hi, I do HL Economics and in all honesty three isn't really much maths at all and when there is, it's really simple maths At my school, there are 5 of us who take HL and 3 do maths studies and they are still hitting top marks in Economics. One of the exam papers is a more mathsy paper but it's only really things like calculating percentages

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Subject selection is too vast to cover in one post, so we've brought together some ex-IB students and IB examiners to post on just about every subject over here - http://bit.ly/CallidoFB (we've started with everyone's favourite - which Maths?)

We will also be shortly offering free one-on-one advice on subject selection.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilys7)
    Hi, I do HL Economics and in all honesty three isn't really much maths at all and when there is, it's really simple maths At my school, there are 5 of us who take HL and 3 do maths studies and they are still hitting top marks in Economics. One of the exam papers is a more mathsy paper but it's only really things like calculating percentages
    I agree, HL economics does not require a lot of maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashaaaness)
    Hey!

Okay so I basically need some help.

I'm planning to pursue either vet med/med/pharmacy (but more likely pharmacy) and I picked these IB subjects:

HL
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

SL
    Spanish ab initio
    English A1
    History

BUT, I recently got my IGCSE results - I only got an A (ie not A*) for Maths and a really horrible grade for Additional Maths :p: and my school is now recommending that I drop Maths HL and take up either English or History.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it advisable to drop Maths HL despite wanting to pursue the sciences at university? Will this make me a little bit more disadvantaged than other applicants applying for the same courses? I know Maths HL is not required as I've got both Biology and Chem at HL but.. is it preferred?

I COULD try my best for Maths HL - that is, work my butt off for it but I'd just like to hear everybody's opinion on whether it's worth it, and whether I even need it!

2. Also, IF I do drop Maths HL, which HL should I take up, English A1 or History? I love both equally, and scored A*s for English First Language, English Literature and History at IGCSE and I'm pretty much torn between the two. So I WOULD like to pick the one I love - but I love both so uhhh, yeah I kinda need help :p:.

Can anyone out there tell me which HL they felt was better for them & why, whether the workload will be too much if I were to take one instead of the other..etc?

It'd be much appreciated, thanks!
    Everybody I've met says HL Maths is really, really hard. A friend who is now doing Engineering at uni says he practically didn't have to work the first year because he'd done all the maths during IB. So a bit of a risk unless you are planning to do a degree that requires it

ReputationRep:
    What do you all think of philosophy HL as a choice? Really hard? What do universities think of it?

ReputationRep:
    History HL
    English HL
    Theatre HL
    Spanish Ab Initio
    Math Studies
    Biology SL
    Do you mind me asking which school? Cause I got accepted into one too!

ReputationRep:
    HL
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Economics

SL
    English
    Spanish
    Maths

Economics HL is actually incredibly interesting and well-respected, would recommend it. Maths HL is really hard, Econ not so much.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering whether anyone has done HL Geography Here?

Just wondering why the gap is, and is it more like GCCSE Geography (which I didn't really enjoy cause it was just learning) or a more open-ended course similar to University which requires a lot more thinking, providing you know the basic knowledge stuff, e.g. a theory or process

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xphoenix)
    I was wondering whether anyone has done HL Geography Here?

Just wondering why the gap is, and is it more like GCCSE Geography (which I didn't really enjoy cause it was just learning) or a more open-ended course similar to University which requires a lot more thinking, providing you know the basic knowledge stuff, e.g. a theory or process
    I did Geo HL! I don't know anything about GCSE Geography though, but I can just talk a little bit about the course, from my perspective (disclaimer: I loved it, so it may be slightly biased).
    IB Geography includes a lot of terminology and concepts which you should be familiar with (such as the Human Development Index, food miles, and green water), but most of the papers are based on analysis. For P1, you have to look at different graphs and identify trends and anomalies, suggest reasons for concepts, and apply case studies. There is one essay at the end, often where you evaluate a statement (the IB loves it when you "sit on the fence", ie. look at both the positives and the negatives about something - this is really important for most of Geo, being able to weigh both sides of an argument). P2 is three questions, each with 2 - 3 'short' answers, including more trends and reasons, and a longer essay. P3 is only essays.

Most of the course is applying the knowledge, the case studies, and the connections between what you learned to the specific questions, at least in my opinion.

Often, when you look at the mark schemes, they may provide a few acceptable answers, but then say that 'anything within reason' can also gain marks, which means that especially for the essays, as long as your argument is well supported, you gain marks.

I found that most of the course was an application of common knowledge. Yes, you learnt some more in-depth concepts and facts about events, but most of the questions could be answered by applying what you know about the world.
    That being said, this is the reason why a lot of my classmates who didn't take geography think it's fairly boring - a lot of it seems straightforward and it seems to them as if they could answer it as well, without having studied it, and gain a high mark.

Sorry for the ramblings and I hope this helps. I really enjoyed the two years, I learned a lot of knowledge which I think is very relevant to the world we live in today.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I am planning on doing:
    HL
    Art
    DT
    Economics

SL
    English
    Maths
    Ab initio French

I'm not too sure about doing both DT and art at HL and was wondering if any of you had experience with this as I can still change my subject choices.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'll be taking the IB in a few months and I am still contemplating over which subjects to take. So glad to finally find this thread!
    Can anyone help? I would like to pursue Art History in university.
    Is HL English Literature, History and Visual Arts good for the course? Is Visual Arts mandatory to be taken in HL or is SL alright?
    Thank you for helping!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student0105)
    Hi everyone! I'll be taking the IB in a few months and I am still contemplating over which subjects to take. So glad to finally find this thread!
    Can anyone help? I would like to pursue Art History in university.
    Is HL English Literature, History and Visual Arts good for the course? Is Visual Arts mandatory to be taken in HL or is SL alright?
    Thank you for helping!!
    I'm going to be starting the IB in a few months as well! Where will you be studying?

I think all three of those subjects would be good choices, but I'm not that knowledgeable in the field of Art History. Based on what I know, it would involve essay writing and a good understanding of Arts and History, which is exactly what your choices here reflect.

The Visual Arts question depends mainly on what universities you want to go to. Search them up and look at their specific requirements. Personally, I think SL should be fine, but HL would definitely be able to better prepare you for it, since you would be exposed to more art (both in styles and in the time you're spending on it) and you're planning on majoring in Art History.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.