Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJDK)
    Everybody I've met says HL Maths is really, really hard. A friend who is now doing Engineering at uni says he practically didn't have to work the first year because he'd done all the maths during IB. So a bit of a risk unless you are planning to do a degree that requires it
    I am currently doing maths HL. Please take maths HL and physics HL if you are considering Engineering (check the unis requirement, they specify that as qualification)

Frankly, unlike other subjects, maths HL is a subject that is hard to improve in. Most people improved 1 grade from the beginning to the end of year 1 in my class (the class size is 10 fyi). I also improved from 6 to 7.

If you think you are good at math (getting very good grades with nearly no revision in the GCSEs) or you have a decent mathematical background, maths HL should be easy. I would recommend taking 4 HLs in the beginning of IB, and check if maths HL is manageable or not.

For me, economics HL is the hardest HL out of your picks, because it requires a lot of work and revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsxrjunkie)
    OMG!!!! You have the exact same subjects as me! On top of that I also am looking into engineering!!

I have the same problem as you about maths. Umm I don't know where you are based but in the UK there are some unis that accept SL maths however require a high grade in HL physics. Also they may make you take some maths modules during uni...

All the best!
    Thank you so much for the advice, I'll check out the unis near to me

ReputationRep:
    hello! i'm starting IB this year and i'm really excited!! right now, my choices are:

HL History
    HL French B
    HL Chemistry

SL English Lit
    SL Maths
    SL Psychology

I am looking into reading law at university, I know it would be ideal to take HL English Lit, but I've heard that it's REALLY hard to get a 7 at HL, and I'm honestly not amazing at Lit (not totally confident in getting an A* at IGCSE level). Would this be extremely disadvantageous even though that I already have a 'traditional' essay subject (History) at HL? Thank you for your help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chantilly13)
    hello! i'm starting IB this year and i'm really excited!! right now, my choices are:

HL History
    HL French B
    HL Chemistry

SL English Lit
    SL Maths
    SL Psychology

I am looking into reading law at university, I know it would be ideal to take HL English Lit, but I've heard that it's REALLY hard to get a 7 at HL, and I'm honestly not amazing at Lit (not totally confident in getting an A* at IGCSE level). Would this be extremely disadvantageous even though that I already have a 'traditional' essay subject (History) at HL? Thank you for your help!!
    I just finished my first year in IB so hopefully I can help you out. in my opinion, I would substitute your French B for SL and take English HL. I took Lit Lang HL and sure, it takes work to get at least a 6 but it's much better than having it as an SL. Other than that, I find lit lang quite fun and engaging. i took a second language too but at HL, im not sure about French but Indonesian B SL and HL students take the exact same test so it would be a waste of 1 HL to take French B, unless you can take 4 HLs like I did.
    My HLs are Business & Management, Psychology, English Lit Lang and Indonesian B.

ReputationRep:
    My choices would be:
    Chemistry HL
    Physics HL
    Maths HL
    Slovene HL (sadly in my country we have to take our first language HL)

English as a second language SL
    Phylosophy/psyhology SL (which one do you recomend?)

I'd like to study natural sciences or any specifical physical science (I'm not really into biological ones).

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm starting IB this year and my choices are:
    HL: geography, biology , chemistry
    SL: mandarin an initio, English Lang, mathematical studies
    I would suggest you to do not take French as a HL unless you're thinking to apply to a French-spoken university and that Wnglish is way more important . Furthermore if you're definitely sure you are going to do law you should also change chemistry HL to SL and put another HL instead
    Hope you found it helpful

Hello! I'm starting IB DP this year and my choices are following:
    HL:
    Math
    Biology
    Psychology
    Chemistry
    SL:
    French ab initio
    English lit

I'm thinking of taking psychology major in univ, but I am not a big fan of biology, prefering chemistry rather than that (though I got pretty good grades in both of them in igcse). I'm considering of changing Bio with History SL, or Eng lit HL instead of Biology. What do you think of this combination? Is it too biased? Or do you think the Biology hl is still mandetory? I would appreciate your kind advices

Oh and one more, anyone who've taken the global politics? My school is offering it from this year and I'm quite interested. How is it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,
    Here are the subjects I've chosen.

English hl
    Economics hl
    Chinese hl
    ESS
    Math studies

I need one more sl subject. I'm thinking of taking either psychology or global politics.
    Is there a lot of biology in psychology? I'm not good in biology. Which one is easier?
    Any suggestions? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,
    Here are the subjects I've chosen.

English hl
    Economics hl
    Chinese hl
    ESS
    Math studies

I need one more sl subject. I'm thinking of taking either psychology or global politics.
    Is there a lot of biology in psychology? I'm not good in biology. Which one is easier?
    Any suggestions? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting my IBDP this year. I would like to take up Psychology at Univ level. I have chosen

HL - Psych, Bio, Chem
    SL - Eng Lit, French,Math

Is this good ? Do I need to do Math SL or will Math Studies serve the purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashaaaness)
    Hey!

Okay so I basically need some help.

I'm planning to pursue either vet med/med/pharmacy (but more likely pharmacy) and I picked these IB subjects:

HL
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

SL
    Spanish ab initio
    English A1
    History

BUT, I recently got my IGCSE results - I only got an A (ie not A*) for Maths and a really horrible grade for Additional Maths :p: and my school is now recommending that I drop Maths HL and take up either English or History.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it advisable to drop Maths HL despite wanting to pursue the sciences at university? Will this make me a little bit more disadvantaged than other applicants applying for the same courses? I know Maths HL is not required as I've got both Biology and Chem at HL but.. is it preferred?

I COULD try my best for Maths HL - that is, work my butt off for it but I'd just like to hear everybody's opinion on whether it's worth it, and whether I even need it!

2. Also, IF I do drop Maths HL, which HL should I take up, English A1 or History? I love both equally, and scored A*s for English First Language, English Literature and History at IGCSE and I'm pretty much torn between the two. So I WOULD like to pick the one I love - but I love both so uhhh, yeah I kinda need help :p:.

Can anyone out there tell me which HL they felt was better for them & why, whether the workload will be too much if I were to take one instead of the other..etc?

It'd be much appreciated, thanks!
    Hello,
    1) It's not worth it. You have the 2 sciences and that is MORE than enough. Think of it this way, is it better to work your butt of to try and maybe pull off a 4 or 5 in Math HL or spend that time doing extra work on Chem and Bio HL and get 6s or 7s in both ? It will boost up your overall score and unis mostly care about your chemistry grade, along with the grade of the second science.
    2) I am currently taking both English and History at HL ( along with bio ) and I absolutely love them both. I would recommend you start off with both at HL for the first month or two and then drop whichever one you prefer less OR I would say take English HL as History HL is HELL , I love it , it's a great class but the workload is INSANE !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asmafazal)
    I will be starting my IBDP this year. I would like to take up Psychology at Univ level. I have chosen

HL - Psych, Bio, Chem
    SL - Eng Lit, French,Math

Is this good ? Do I need to do Math SL or will Math Studies serve the purpose.
    I would personally recommend you take Math SL , as universities prefer it way more, and some universities won't accept you if you have Math Studies !
    Other than that it seems like a great combination but maybe 2 sciences at HL are enough ? as Psychology counts as a science when applying for psychology at uni, you're taking 3 sciences, and maybe it's better to take English up to HL as it is an essay based subject and will highly improve your essay writing skills which will come in handy ! Though your combinations looks fine anyway
    Best of luck with IB !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 40_studioblue)
    Hello! I'm starting IB DP this year and my choices are following:
    HL:
    Math
    Biology
    Psychology
    Chemistry
    SL:
    French ab initio
    English lit

I'm thinking of taking psychology major in univ, but I am not a big fan of biology, prefering chemistry rather than that (though I got pretty good grades in both of them in igcse). I'm considering of changing Bio with History SL, or Eng lit HL instead of Biology. What do you think of this combination? Is it too biased? Or do you think the Biology hl is still mandetory? I would appreciate your kind advices

Oh and one more, anyone who've taken the global politics? My school is offering it from this year and I'm quite interested. How is it?
    To major in psychology, you need at least 1 science subject at HL, that's all unis ask for and maths counts so you already have 2 sciences at HL which is amazing enough for any UK university. You don't even need to take biology, and I would even encourage you to take history as I feel your combination lacks an essay based subject ( English is mandatory so it doesn't exactly count ) and will help you have a more encompassing and 'full' learning experience that is not purely science based

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chantilly13)

HL History
    HL French B
    HL Chemistry

SL English Lit
    SL Maths
    SL Psychology

It's harder to get a 7 at History HL than in English HL, trust me ....
    I recommend you take English and work hard in it , I've NEVER studied English lit in my life and am predicted a 6 at HL but I worked my butt of on it !

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I think I really need some help I've been contemplating on what to take for IB for the last couple of months and I am incredibly indecisive.

On my form right now:
    Chemistry, Physics, Geography HL
    Maths, English Language & Literature, Chinese B SL

I've heard that taking two sciences can be hard, especially at HL so I have been thinking about to swapping to Economics HL instead but the thing is I'm not sure what I want to become in the future nor what to study at university. I am quite interested in chemistry but I'm not quite sure what you can do with just chemistry without biology. I haven't gotten my IGCSE results back yet but for my mocks I had gotten As in chemistry, physics, bio, maths (extended), english, chinese, economics with the exception of geography as I did not take that for IGCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Have anyone taken HL Econ and Bio? And SL Geo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elim0:))
    Have anyone taken HL Econ and Bio? And SL Geo?
    I did both HL Economics and Biology.

In short, the combination is doable, though, indeed, comparatively uncommon, as Economics is the most mathsy of the humanities and Biology is the least mathsy of the sciences. What do you intend to study at university?
    Feel free to ask further questions if you have any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashaaaness)
    Hey!

Okay so I basically need some help.

I'm planning to pursue either vet med/med/pharmacy (but more likely pharmacy) and I picked these IB subjects:

HL
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

SL
    Spanish ab initio
    English A1
    History

BUT, I recently got my IGCSE results - I only got an A (ie not A*) for Maths and a really horrible grade for Additional Maths :p: and my school is now recommending that I drop Maths HL and take up either English or History.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it advisable to drop Maths HL despite wanting to pursue the sciences at university? Will this make me a little bit more disadvantaged than other applicants applying for the same courses? I know Maths HL is not required as I've got both Biology and Chem at HL but.. is it preferred?

I COULD try my best for Maths HL - that is, work my butt off for it but I'd just like to hear everybody's opinion on whether it's worth it, and whether I even need it!

2. Also, IF I do drop Maths HL, which HL should I take up, English A1 or History? I love both equally, and scored A*s for English First Language, English Literature and History at IGCSE and I'm pretty much torn between the two. So I WOULD like to pick the one I love - but I love both so uhhh, yeah I kinda need help :p:.

Can anyone out there tell me which HL they felt was better for them & why, whether the workload will be too much if I were to take one instead of the other..etc?

It'd be much appreciated, thanks!
    Drop HL Math. You do not need this for any med/pharm/vet course. You only need 2 HL sciences. Instead, I would recommend HL English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cribblet)
    Hi!

I am planning on doing:
    HL
    Art
    DT
    Economics

SL
    English
    Maths
    Ab initio French

I'm not too sure about doing both DT and art at HL and was wondering if any of you had experience with this as I can still change my subject choices.
    Thanks!
    Hi! I'm currently doing HL Art and DT and it's not bad at all! I find it a great decision because it's more relevant to my university course. Why are you unsure about doing both Art and DT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quechicadlt)
    Hiya, I have applied to do the following subjects at an IB school
    HL
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Economics

SL
    English
    Spanish
    Maths

I plan to study some form of engineering at university and i know maths, chemistry and physics will be useful for the engineering paths I am considering. Some of my friends have told me that universities only look at your higher subjects, is this really the case?
    If it is would it be better if I do HL Maths instead of economics? Please advice me anyone. thanks.
    I would recommend you take HL math if you want to go to the "top" engineering courses! It's very difficult, so make sure your math ability is high.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.