Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-s2109)
    Hi,
    I think I really need some help I've been contemplating on what to take for IB for the last couple of months and I am incredibly indecisive.

On my form right now:
    Chemistry, Physics, Geography HL
    Maths, English Language & Literature, Chinese B SL

I've heard that taking two sciences can be hard, especially at HL so I have been thinking about to swapping to Economics HL instead but the thing is I'm not sure what I want to become in the future nor what to study at university. I am quite interested in chemistry but I'm not quite sure what you can do with just chemistry without biology. I haven't gotten my IGCSE results back yet but for my mocks I had gotten As in chemistry, physics, bio, maths (extended), english, chinese, economics with the exception of geography as I did not take that for IGCSE.
    Heya

I took Biology and Chemistry HL and they were both definitely interesting, but I'm not going to lie, it is a lot of work for sure! With two sciences at HL you spend a lot of time in labs and writing up lab reports (they've changed the style in which labs are done a bit now but I presume you would still have more lab hours than SL students). Writing up lab reports will take time and practise, but with two sciences at HL you'll get more practise and get really good at writing them, which will boost your grades! (I have however heard that the format of the Physics lab is different to that of the other two sciences so I might be lying here.. xD ) There is a lot more syllabus content in HL sciences as well and it goes into a lot of detail, so keep this in mind when choosing. It would be worth googling next years syllabi for all of your subjects to see the amount of things that you'd be covering in the certain subject areas. You can do a lot of stuff with just chemistry as well, also worth googling ;D

I also had Economics HL and it was very different to the sciences, but it was also great! I did find that there was a bit less work to do for Economics than for the either of the sciences at HL. I also found that the difference between the SL and HL Economics content wasn't so much the difficulty of the material (except maybe the maths paper.. xP ) whereas with the sciences this was definitely the case. But I suppose that is also person-specific.

I would recommend making a mind map or list of sorts and just writing down everything you could potentially want to study at university. After you have some sort of idea, check out different courses online and most importantly the course requirements. It would suck to figure out that you definitely want to study *insert-awesome-course-here* and then find out that you don't have the right subjects at HL or at all to even apply. They also usually have the grades you need to get in certain subjects so they can help to motivate you right from the beginning!

There also might be more help to found on choosing subjects in the IB Survival Forum: http://www.ibsurvival.com/

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help out!

ReputationRep:
    I Am planning to do medicine in the future and have chosen to do IB. I have to decide which subjects I would like to do next year. Do you think this is suitable. Is maths studies enough for medicine.
    Hl
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Geography

Sl
    French
    English
    Maths studies??

ReputationRep:
    I'd say no, maths studies is not enough. But you can always check directly with the universities you are interested in.

ReputationRep:
    ?What does the syllabus mainly consist of ? Algebra? I like algebra.

ReputationRep:
    I can't decide whether to do SL chemistry or environmental systems. I don't want a career in science but that's not to say that I'm not bad at it or I don't enjoy it. I like chemistry but I've heard ESS is easier and this would be preferable. Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm back. I originally put myself down to do IB with HL maths HL economics and HL geography however having no second doubts about whether HL maths is the correct thing to be doing. Now I need it if I want to do my course at uni, but equally if I do A level maths, I can do A levels maths. The only thing maybe stopping me from doing A level is the way the school has handled it, making everyone do AS levels for the subjects that still have it do them at the same time as your A2 and also the fact I want to keep a language, but only at an initio level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bookertj)
    I can't decide whether to do SL chemistry or environmental systems. I don't want a career in science but that's not to say that I'm not bad at it or I don't enjoy it. I like chemistry but I've heard ESS is easier and this would be preferable. Is this true?
    ESS is seen as a 'soft' subject by a lot, if not most, of the Russell group unis. A lot of the higher ranking unis (LSE is particularly hardcore about this) don't look too favourably on a candidate who has more than one or two 'soft' subjects even if they're completely irrelevant to the degree. So that's something you might want to consider. ESS is easier, but SL Chem isn't going to make you cry tears of blood either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mookiko)
    ESS is seen as a 'soft' subject by a lot, if not most, of the Russell group unis. A lot of the higher ranking unis (LSE is particularly hardcore about this) don't look too favourably on a candidate who has more than one or two 'soft' subjects even if they're completely irrelevant to the degree. So that's something you might want to consider. ESS is easier, but SL Chem isn't going to make you cry tears of blood either.
    Tears of blood are something I definitely wanted to avoid! :') And don't worry, the rest of my subjects are academically rigorous enough for me to be taken seriously; if I had a choice, I wouldn't be doing science at all so ESS seems like the most suitable option. Thank you for replying

ReputationRep:
    I begin the IB next week! These are my subject choices currently.

HL Comp Science, ITGS, English
    SL Math, Visual Art, Spanish ab initio

One last check: these are fine for graphic design / communications design, right?
    I have a month before they're concrete, so in that time I may possibly upgrade Art and downgrade ITGS. I'm also thinking about taking French instead of Spanish, because I learnt the basics of French on Duolingo, but I know the Spanish teacher is good at my school and I'm not sure about the French teacher, so I'll wait for that.

PS: A big thank you to everyone in this thread who's helped me figure out what kind of subjects I want to take! This is probably the third or fourth time I've posted here, and every time the response has been prompt and helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Ill be starting IB soon and I've chosen these subjects:

HL Art
    HL Business
    HL Biology

SL Maths
    SL French
    SL English

I'm not sure how I feel about my HL's given I got a B in both Business and Art for my GCSE's and I'm considering dropping art completely and taking another science instead. I'm also not sure how difficult these subjects are.

I was also wandering what this combination of subjects will allow me to do in the future in terms of Uni.

Any advice or recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jh99)
    Ill be starting IB soon and I've chosen these subjects:

HL Art
    HL Business
    HL Biology

SL Maths
    SL French
    SL English

I'm not sure how I feel about my HL's given I got a B in both Business and Art for my GCSE's and I'm considering dropping art completely and taking another science instead. I'm also not sure how difficult these subjects are.

I was also wandering what this combination of subjects will allow me to do in the future in terms of Uni.

Any advice or recommendations?
    You'll be fine with a B for Business. As for Art, it depends if you're considered "good" or not + whether you're willing to work very hard. If you want to do science in uni however, you should take another science as many unis require two HL scienes (UK unis).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gkkiller)
    I begin the IB next week! These are my subject choices currently.

HL Comp Science, ITGS, English
    SL Math, Visual Art, Spanish ab initio

One last check: these are fine for graphic design / communications design, right?
    I have a month before they're concrete, so in that time I may possibly upgrade Art and downgrade ITGS. I'm also thinking about taking French instead of Spanish, because I learnt the basics of French on Duolingo, but I know the Spanish teacher is good at my school and I'm not sure about the French teacher, so I'll wait for that.

PS: A big thank you to everyone in this thread who's helped me figure out what kind of subjects I want to take! This is probably the third or fourth time I've posted here, and every time the response has been prompt and helpful.
    If you want to take Graphic Design in uni I think it'll be smart to take HL Art since you might have more to work with when you build up your portfolio. In addition, the difference between HL and SL art is not massive. You might as well take HL Art rather than Computer Science (it's very challenging! But you do you!).

ReputationRep:
    Hey, guys! Don't know if any of you can give me some tips?
    So, I'm not certain about what I want to do with my future. Some of my areas of consideration are Computer Science, Psychology, Teaching...yeah, you see how hodge-podge it all is, but my main passion lies in helping people, hence the latter two out of what I've listed.

My current official plan (!) is to do HL Math, Chemistry and Physics (the equivalent of jumping underneath a moving train) and SL English, German and Psychology. Now, I think I'm pretty certain about bumping Chemistry down to SL and Psychology up to HL (yay!). However, I am considering replacing Chem altogether, as much as I love it, with Philosophy, which I also adore. Having thought about it a little further, this makes some sense as whilst all the subjects are obviously a lot of work, Philosophy comes very naturally to me so I can understand it with a lot less effort and time than other subjects. Whilst I don't find sciences too mind-boggling with the exception of specific areas, I have never had the ease with anything that I have had with Philosophy. It's not that I don't put effort in - I put in a LOT of effort to ALL of it - but it's just a little...easier, and is almost relaxing in some ways. I feel like this makes sense because of the HL Math and Physics - and yes, I am definitely doing HL Math. Call me crazy. I know. But trust me, I have my reasoning...I'm just not good at explaining it. But basically, to keep my options open - particularly for Comp. Sci. - I have to, as my school can't do IB Comp. Sci. and I am set on doing the IB (always have been).

Any tips? Thanks so much. I TRIED to make this more coherent and concise than last time...think it's an improvement? I don't know. I'm sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I REALLY want to do the IB and I was thinking of doing:

English HL
    History HL
    Biology HL

Maths SL
    Philosophy SL (or psychology if they allow it)

But I'm not sure sure about languages? The thing is I really struggled with French at school and got a B after a long and excruciating journey. I have no idea what to do.

P.S I heard that even the ab initio courses are hugely intensive!

P.P.S. General opinion? Is this a good set of choices? Universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do1phinDreamer)
    Hey, guys! Don't know if any of you can give me some tips?
    So, I'm not certain about what I want to do with my future. Some of my areas of consideration are Computer Science, Psychology, Teaching...yeah, you see how hodge-podge it all is, but my main passion lies in helping people, hence the latter two out of what I've listed.

My current official plan (!) is to do HL Math, Chemistry and Physics (the equivalent of jumping underneath a moving train) and SL English, German and Psychology. Now, I think I'm pretty certain about bumping Chemistry down to SL and Psychology up to HL (yay!). However, I am considering replacing Chem altogether, as much as I love it, with Philosophy, which I also adore. Having thought about it a little further, this makes some sense as whilst all the subjects are obviously a lot of work, Philosophy comes very naturally to me so I can understand it with a lot less effort and time than other subjects. Whilst I don't find sciences too mind-boggling with the exception of specific areas, I have never had the ease with anything that I have had with Philosophy. It's not that I don't put effort in - I put in a LOT of effort to ALL of it - but it's just a little...easier, and is almost relaxing in some ways. I feel like this makes sense because of the HL Math and Physics - and yes, I am definitely doing HL Math. Call me crazy. I know. But trust me, I have my reasoning...I'm just not good at explaining it. But basically, to keep my options open - particularly for Comp. Sci. - I have to, as my school can't do IB Comp. Sci. and I am set on doing the IB (always have been).

Any tips? Thanks so much. I TRIED to make this more coherent and concise than last time...think it's an improvement? I don't know. I'm sorry!

I would agree that HL maths, chemistry and physics would be like jumping under a train hahaha BUT at least you wouldn't have many essays in them because HL essay subjects.. well get A LOT of essays..or maybe thats just my school

I am doing chem HL and absolutely love it and would recommend it, however this is just probably because I'm a bit of a chem fanatic so..

I'm doing philosophy SL and I'd also really recommend it, its definitely one of my favourite classes and so so interesting and mind stimulating. (also crosses over with tok which is very useful indeed) HOWEVER in philosophy it is hard to get a 7,as in the jump between 6 and 7 is a big one, don't worry it is possible and since you seem to love philosophy you'd probably be ok, but if you're aiming for a really really high score eg. 45 hahah then maybe just take this into account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arehyldarb)
    I would agree that HL maths, chemistry and physics would be like jumping under a train hahaha BUT at least you wouldn't have many essays in them because HL essay subjects.. well get A LOT of essays..or maybe thats just my school

I am doing chem HL and absolutely love it and would recommend it, however this is just probably because I'm a bit of a chem fanatic so..

I'm doing philosophy SL and I'd also really recommend it, its definitely one of my favourite classes and so so interesting and mind stimulating. (also crosses over with tok which is very useful indeed) HOWEVER in philosophy it is hard to get a 7,as in the jump between 6 and 7 is a big one, don't worry it is possible and since you seem to love philosophy you'd probably be ok, but if you're aiming for a really really high score eg. 45 hahah then maybe just take this into account
    I feel like you're either psychic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swisscakes)
    Hi I REALLY want to do the IB and I was thinking of doing:

English HL
    History HL
    Biology HL

Maths SL
    Philosophy SL (or psychology if they allow it)

But I'm not sure sure about languages? The thing is I really struggled with French at school and got a B after a long and excruciating journey. I have no idea what to do.

P.S I heard that even the ab initio courses are hugely intensive!

P.P.S. General opinion? Is this a good set of choices? Universities?
    Looking at your HLs it would seem you can only go for courses such as English and History in uni... Many unis require 2 HL sciences if you want to study science! Ab initio will be difficult if you're doing a completely new language since you'll be required to learn it in less than a year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I currently need some help in deciding whether to do Eng Lit HL or SL. Some questions I would like to ask are:

Does Eng Lit HL have a lot more content/things to revise than SL?

How much easier is it to get a 6 or 7 for SL than it would be for HL?

Are HL exams marked a lot more harshly than SL?

If I took Eng Lit SL, what sort of subjects would I not be able to take at university?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I will be choosing my IB subjects in around 3 months time (I'm in Year 11) and I'd like to pursue a career in the psychology field, hopefully turn out as a clinical psychologist. I really want to get into the oxbridge, or just a uni with a good psych course/ high ranking and reputation. The only subjects I'm certain I want to take is HL psychology and SL maths

And the remaining subjects I'm most likely going to take is an English course whether at lang/lit or lit, at SL or HL? Spanish B at SL or HL? Chemistry at SL or HL?

That leaves me with one subject left either to be taken at SL or HL depending on how I choose my subjects. My parents really want me to take biology but I honestly do not like biology and I struggle with it, but if I don't pick biology I have no other subjects I'm interested in taking...

By the way, is maths important for psychology? Do I really have to take SL Maths or would I be fine if I took maths studies?

Any help? Advice?

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iallhalocin)
    Looking at your HLs it would seem you can only go for courses such as English and History in uni... Many unis require 2 HL sciences if you want to study science! Ab initio will be difficult if you're doing a completely new language since you'll be required to learn it in less than a year.
    I decided on going with SL French in the end..and SL chemistry. And while it's not HL would it still be accepted? Of course I can move to HL later on, I plan on it hopefully.

Is that a good set for something such as veterinary science?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.