The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I have to choose my IB subjects in a few weeks, and I am majorly STRESSING OUT because I have no idea what I want to do for university or a future career. I know that I'd love to do something in the creative arts industry, but it's risky since I'm not exceptionally good at anything in that field. I do have a love/hobby for photography and making occasional video montages and am currently debating whether I should take SL Film Studies, Music or Bio for my last SL subject slot.

Here's what I think I'll be taking:
HL
- Maths/English Lit (undecided)
- Chem
- Econ (I have no knowledge prior to starting this course next year, but apparently SL Econ is pretty much ab initio and the jump from SL to HL isn't that big? I've also read that HL Econ is a less rigourous course and is easier to get a good score compared to other HLs -- is that true?)

SL
- Chinese A
- Maths/English Lit (undecided :/)
- Film/Music/Bio

I know 2 instruments - diploma level, participate in orchestras, know a bit of theory etc., so I know if I take music, I can probably guarantee at the very least a 5 or 6, but I know for sure that I don't want a future career in music (which sucks because I do a lot of activities related to it xD) so if I DO take it, it will just be to help boost my score. (I'm also doing it for IGCSE)

My interest level for bio isn't very high and I'm not achieving top scores in IGCSE currently, but it goes well with my HL Chem, and opens up more career options. I have a horrible memory though, which makes me wonder if I should take it, because I know that you have to remember tons and TONS of things (pretty much just hardcore raw memorisation) and combined with my low level of interest for the subject, I just don't know if I can achieve a good score. I am extremely paranoid about my IB options because I messed up bigtime for my IGCSE options which I makes me feel like slapping myself 127 times everytime I think about it, so I really want to make sure I make the right decision for IB! :P

As you can see, I still have a lot of decisions to make, so I was wondering if any of you could give me advice? Anyone who has experience in any of the courses mentioned above or are currently taking them, can give me some details on what the subject is about, or the level of difficulty (how difficult it is to get a good score like 6/7) or list what pathways taking that certain subject can lead to? ..and generally any advice really xD

So sorry for the long read, but any help is gladly appreciated!
Thank you so much! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chenji
Hello! I have to choose my IB subjects in a few weeks, and I am majorly STRESSING OUT because I have no idea what I want to do for university or a future career. I know that I'd love to do something in the creative arts industry, but it's risky since I'm not exceptionally good at anything in that field. I do have a love/hobby for photography and making occasional video montages and am currently debating whether I should take SL Film Studies, Music or Bio for my last SL subject slot.

Here's what I think I'll be taking:
HL
- Maths/English Lit (undecided)
- Chem
- Econ (I have no knowledge prior to starting this course next year, but apparently SL Econ is pretty much ab initio and the jump from SL to HL isn't that big? I've also read that HL Econ is a less rigourous course and is easier to get a good score compared to other HLs -- is that true?)

SL
- Chinese A
- Maths/English Lit (undecided :/)
- Film/Music/Bio

I know 2 instruments - diploma level, participate in orchestras, know a bit of theory etc., so I know if I take music, I can probably guarantee at the very least a 5 or 6, but I know for sure that I don't want a future career in music (which sucks because I do a lot of activities related to it xD) so if I DO take it, it will just be to help boost my score. (I'm also doing it for IGCSE)

My interest level for bio isn't very high and I'm not achieving top scores in IGCSE currently, but it goes well with my HL Chem, and opens up more career options. I have a horrible memory though, which makes me wonder if I should take it, because I know that you have to remember tons and TONS of things (pretty much just hardcore raw memorisation) and combined with my low level of interest for the subject, I just don't know if I can achieve a good score. I am extremely paranoid about my IB options because I messed up bigtime for my IGCSE options which I makes me feel like slapping myself 127 times everytime I think about it, so I really want to make sure I make the right decision for IB! :P

As you can see, I still have a lot of decisions to make, so I was wondering if any of you could give me advice? Anyone who has experience in any of the courses mentioned above or are currently taking them, can give me some details on what the subject is about, or the level of difficulty (how difficult it is to get a good score like 6/7) or list what pathways taking that certain subject can lead to? ..and generally any advice really xD

So sorry for the long read, but any help is gladly appreciated!
Thank you so much! :biggrin:

Go with SL Math/HL English and thank me later. It's far less work if you have a good grasp of English and can write well. As for Economics, it's not too hard but it involves a lot of math, HL more so than SL. I took Economics in IGCSE but not in IB, and from a look at my friend's books it seems pretty similar, just in more depth. However, coming into IGCSE Economics without any background in Economics is kind of hard in itself, and IB Economics is probably harder to get into, so maybe you should stick to SL Economics or change HL Economics to another HL.
Original post by gkkiller
Go with SL Math/HL English and thank me later. It's far less work if you have a good grasp of English and can write well. As for Economics, it's not too hard but it involves a lot of math, HL more so than SL. I took Economics in IGCSE but not in IB, and from a look at my friend's books it seems pretty similar, just in more depth. However, coming into IGCSE Economics without any background in Economics is kind of hard in itself, and IB Economics is probably harder to get into, so maybe you should stick to SL Economics or change HL Economics to another HL.

aw okay thanks so much for the advice!! :biggrin: From the numerous forums and websites I've visited and people that I've asked, HL Econ seems to be okay though! What other HLs would you recommend if I were to drop Econ to SL or altogether? :/
Go with HL Film/Music? Generally people taking a Group 6 subject take it HL because the only reason they're taking it is because they want to pursue it in their career, so doing it SL is kind of half-hearted if you're really interested. The best advice I got about picking subjects was to take subjects I like, because otherwise I'd hate IB.
Original post by gkkiller
Go with HL Film/Music? Generally people taking a Group 6 subject take it HL because the only reason they're taking it is because they want to pursue it in their career, so doing it SL is kind of half-hearted if you're really interested. The best advice I got about picking subjects was to take subjects I like, because otherwise I'd hate IB.

I know most people would take an arts subject at HL, but the thing is I'm not sure if I will pursue it for my career (despite how much I want to, I don't think I'm cut out for it and my parents don't think so either xD), and rather am just doing it out of pure interest. I've also never taken any film course before, so I think it's a bit risky to take HL Film Studies. If I take Music, it will probably be at SL to boost my overall score unless I run out of HLs, at which point I might swap it up to HL because I am rather confident in that subject.

and yeah a family friend of mine told me previously that instead of choosing subjects that I liked, choose subjects that I didn't dislike! And that helped quite a bit, but I'm still torn between several options x(
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AgnesGrey1
1 - Like all HL subjects there is more content than SL obviously, but you can certainly handle it. It's not a lot (unlike Math SL vs Maths HL).
2 - I can't really answer this question but from what I know of the markbands it is harder to get a 6/7 at HL.
3 - I can't think of any uni subjects, except for English, where Eng Lit HL is required. English Language and Literature, however, might help with applying for subjects like Law, if you do it at HL.

If I were you, the deciding factor would be what subject I would bring up to HL if I do Lit SL. English is basically a subject you do at HL if (a) you're really good at it and it can boost your overall marks (b) you have genuine interest in it

Thank you so much for your answer. :smile: Your advice sounds reasonable, but I've already chosen to do SL.
Original post by chenji
aw okay thanks so much for the advice!! :biggrin: From the numerous forums and websites I've visited and people that I've asked, HL Econ seems to be okay though! What other HLs would you recommend if I were to drop Econ to SL or altogether? :/

Hi, I'm currently a second year IB-er and I take Econ at HL. We all took it up from scratch last year because it wasnt offered at my school for GCSE and everyone in my class is predicted either 6's or 7's. there isn't a huge maths content just a lot to memorise/ theory to learn, but I wouldn't say overall its terribly challenging, if that helps :smile: If you have an interest in economics/business/politics, then I'd recommend it x
Original post by emilys7
Hi, I'm currently a second year IB-er and I take Econ at HL. We all took it up from scratch last year because it wasnt offered at my school for GCSE and everyone in my class is predicted either 6's or 7's. there isn't a huge maths content just a lot to memorise/ theory to learn, but I wouldn't say overall its terribly challenging, if that helps :smile: If you have an interest in economics/business/politics, then I'd recommend it x

oh! A lot to memorise? D:
aww that is definitely not a strong point for me, but I think I will take the subject anyways :P
Thanks for your help! :smile:
Hey my mums a clinical psychologist and studies maths will be fine BUT if you want to get into a good uni you should always do standard maths. If you don't want to do a science then do ESS which is like a mixture between geography and biology and apparently that is much easier to do rather than physics, chemistry, biology
is this combination okay?
Chem HL
Econ HL
Maths HL
Chinese SL
English SL
Music SL
I really want to do Film SL (or HL -- might swap my arts subject with maths if it's too hard) but my mom wants me to stick with Music because it's an easier subject for me. But I don't have that much interest for music. Should I go for an easier subject that I don't have an interest in, or a subject that I have an interest in (and has no written exam heheh)? What would you guys recommend?
I'm thinking of going into either the science-y field or film/photography field (will probably end up minoring it instead of majoring) after I finish IB :smile:

please help?? We've already submitted our options, so if I want to change I'll have to do it soon so all the advice I can get will be appreciated!
(edited 8 years ago)
hi, i'm having trouble with one of my HL's, chemistry has always eluded me, even when i would study for a test, i still wouldn't get the result that i want. i wonder if it's my study technique(reading different text books to get more info), but whatever it is, i'm looking for it. so how would you guys suggest i manage the beast that is IB chem?
Original post by chenji
is this combination okay?
Chem HL
Econ HL
Maths HL
Chinese SL
English SL
Music SL
I really want to do Film SL (or HL -- might swap my arts subject with maths if it's too hard) but my mom wants me to stick with Music because it's an easier subject for me. But I don't have that much interest for music. Should I go for an easier subject that I don't have an interest in, or a subject that I have an interest in (and has no written exam heheh)? What would you guys recommend?
I'm thinking of going into either the science-y field or film/photography field (will probably end up minoring it instead of majoring) after I finish IB :smile:

please help?? We've already submitted our options, so if I want to change I'll have to do it soon so all the advice I can get will be appreciated!

Do the subject you will be more motivated to work hard in.
Hey everyone! I have to choose my IB subjects soon. To give some context I want to pursue medicine or biomedicine related fields of work in the future.

My current subjects are:

HL Chemistry
HL Biology
HL English lit

SL Spanish ab initio
SL Maths
SL Philosophy

I just have a few questions about the subjects I'm choosing, so feel free to give me a response if you have an answer to any of these:

1. I've heard that HL English is hard to get a 7 in, that being said, is it still quite an 'easy' subject? In my recent mock exams I got an A for both lang and lit, will this be ok for taking English lit at HL?

2. Has anyone done philosophy? If you have, could you please tell me about your personal view on it as I'm not entirely sure I want to take it.

3. Is SL maths very challenging? I'm not great at maths (in my mocks I got a B) but I pretty much need to take SL maths to get into the universities I want to get into.

Thank you!
Original post by Eman5000
hi, i'm having trouble with one of my HL's, chemistry has always eluded me, even when i would study for a test, i still wouldn't get the result that i want. i wonder if it's my study technique(reading different text books to get more info), but whatever it is, i'm looking for it. so how would you guys suggest i manage the beast that is IB chem?

When I was doing Chemistry HL, I didn't bother with different textbooks. I read the main textbook and summarized it briefly. But practicing is very important. Do problems in the book and the past papers, because IB exams can be repetitive. Also, I bought a summary textbook, which proved to be useful just before the exams. :smile: so I would say don't waste your time on different textbooks, focus on one and do lots of problems :wink:
Original post by ppjk
Is this good for medicine:
Hl
Biology
Chemistry
Geography
Sl
French
English
Mths
Please advise me

Sounds ok, but check the requirements for courses (on UCAS) you want to apply to after you finish IB :smile:
Hi,
I've been having some troubles lately, I mean leave it to an IB school to start making us choose our diploma subjects like now.:colonhash: I'm thinking of doing Law in Uni, I've looked at UCL, LSE, Durham... (you get the gist), and I'm thinking of taking
HL
History
English Language and Literature
Business and Management or Psych

SL
Math Studies
Environmental Studies or Chem
French Ab Initio

and I've always been like a 45 above student, (IB final grades are out of 56 for MYP) and last year I got my best which was a 49, so I just didn't know if the subjects I chose were 'wise', because math studies has a notorious reputation, it's 'laughable' and same goes for Environmental studies, but I don't know what subjects I should take if I want to score at least a 39 to be considered by UCL in Diploma.

Would anyone please shed some light ??? THANKS! :smile::smile:
Reply 1536
Original post by juliette.vo
Hey everyone! I have to choose my IB subjects soon. To give some context I want to pursue medicine or biomedicine related fields of work in the future.

My current subjects are:

HL Chemistry
HL Biology
HL English lit

SL Spanish ab initio
SL Maths
SL Philosophy

I just have a few questions about the subjects I'm choosing, so feel free to give me a response if you have an answer to any of these:

1. I've heard that HL English is hard to get a 7 in, that being said, is it still quite an 'easy' subject? In my recent mock exams I got an A for both lang and lit, will this be ok for taking English lit at HL?

2. Has anyone done philosophy? If you have, could you please tell me about your personal view on it as I'm not entirely sure I want to take it.

3. Is SL maths very challenging? I'm not great at maths (in my mocks I got a B) but I pretty much need to take SL maths to get into the universities I want to get into.

Thank you!

I plan on taking the exact same higher levels as you and i have the same concern about english. I am worried taking biology chemistry and english will be too challenging
Original post by tetroquark
When I was doing Chemistry HL, I didn't bother with different textbooks. I read the main textbook and summarized it briefly. But practicing is very important. Do problems in the book and the past papers, because IB exams can be repetitive. Also, I bought a summary textbook, which proved to be useful just before the exams. :smile: so I would say don't waste your time on different textbooks, focus on one and do lots of problems :wink:

thanks a bunch :h:
Hey, I'd really advise not doing HL maths - I've applied for medicine and have lots of friends that are doing medicine with SL maths, it will save you a lot of time!! I know people who got A*s in their maths at iGCSE (like myself) and really struggled with HL maths. I'm doing SL maths and it's enough of a challenge!!
From talking to my friends who are doing HL English and HL History they seem to say it's comparatively harder to get 7s in English than it is in History so I'd probably advise doing HL History. (My 3rd Higher is French)

You can always start with 4 highers for a bit - I started y12 with HL Psychology and French as well as Bio and Chem (which I knew I wouldn't change) because I wasn't sure if I wanted to do French or Psychology

Hope this helps!!

Original post by tashaaaness
Hey! :smile:

Okay so I basically need some help.

I'm planning to pursue either vet med/med/pharmacy (but more likely pharmacy) and I picked these IB subjects:

HL
Maths
Biology
Chemistry

SL
Spanish ab initio
English A1
History

BUT, I recently got my IGCSE results - I only got an A (ie not A*) for Maths and a really horrible grade for Additional Maths :p: and my school is now recommending that I drop Maths HL and take up either English or History.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it advisable to drop Maths HL despite wanting to pursue the sciences at university? Will this make me a little bit more disadvantaged than other applicants applying for the same courses? I know Maths HL is not required as I've got both Biology and Chem at HL but.. is it preferred?

I COULD try my best for Maths HL - that is, work my butt off for it but I'd just like to hear everybody's opinion on whether it's worth it, and whether I even need it! :smile:

2. Also, IF I do drop Maths HL, which HL should I take up, English A1 or History? I love both equally, and scored A*s for English First Language, English Literature and History at IGCSE and I'm pretty much torn between the two. So I WOULD like to pick the one I love - but I love both so uhhh, yeah I kinda need help :p:.

Can anyone out there tell me which HL they felt was better for them & why, whether the workload will be too much if I were to take one instead of the other..etc?

It'd be much appreciated, thanks! :smile:
Reply 1539
Original post by juliette.vo

HL Chemistry
HL Biology
HL English lit

I have the exact same HL's! HL english lit is apparently one of the hardest classes, but I've actually really enjoyed it the past 2 years and I think its totally manageable as long as you're really interested in books and analysing them 😂 If you got an A in lang lit and you feel like you're better talking about language then maybe lang lit is better for you. In lang lit they have 2 sections of the course just about the use of language (e.g speeches, gender, power, advertisements) and the other 2 are literature related. So its a better mix of both haha
A good thing about lit HL is that 55% of your grade is already determined before you enter the exam rooms, not sure what its like for lang lit though, but i think it might be more exam dependent 😂
and SL maths can be a real b***h sometimes, but as long as you have a really good and patient teacher then I'm sure you'll manage!! And do lots of exam style questions for math too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending