Hi guys
    I am trying to sort out my ib options and so far i have got:
    Hl maths
    Hl physics
    Hl economic/chemistry
    Sl english
    Sl ab initio Italian
    Sl economics/geography
    As you can see my main dilemma is whether to do econ or chemistry at hl. I want to do either maths or physics at uni. I would prefer to do hl economics but for physics would doing chemistry be a better choice?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of either :
    HL history, Spanish B, global politics
    SL maths studies, environmental systems and societies, English lit

Or if I can't do politics:
    HL history, Spanish b, english lit
    SL maths studies, environmental systems and societies, German/French ab initio

But I'm not sure how well regarded global politics is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worrymuch)
    Hi guys
    I am trying to sort out my ib options and so far i have got:
    Hl maths
    Hl physics
    Hl economic/chemistry
    Sl english
    Sl ab initio Italian
    Sl economics/geography
    As you can see my main dilemma is whether to do econ or chemistry at hl. I want to do either maths or physics at uni. I would prefer to do hl economics but for physics would doing chemistry be a better choice?
    Thanks
    Taking higher chemistry really depends on your GCSE Grade, if you enjoy it and GCSE Exam Board. I did OCR Gateway Double Award in Science and got AA, I used to love chemistry but now I'm SO confused and we've literally just started lmao... I hope this helps but yeah good luck?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stepho99)
    Hi everyone,

I currently need some help in deciding whether to do Eng Lit HL or SL. Some questions I would like to ask are:

Does Eng Lit HL have a lot more content/things to revise than SL?

How much easier is it to get a 6 or 7 for SL than it would be for HL?

Are HL exams marked a lot more harshly than SL?

If I took Eng Lit SL, what sort of subjects would I not be able to take at university?

Thanks in advance
    1 - Like all HL subjects there is more content than SL obviously, but you can certainly handle it. It's not a lot (unlike Math SL vs Maths HL).
    2 - I can't really answer this question but from what I know of the markbands it is harder to get a 6/7 at HL.
    3 - I can't think of any uni subjects, except for English, where Eng Lit HL is required. English Language and Literature, however, might help with applying for subjects like Law, if you do it at HL.

If I were you, the deciding factor would be what subject I would bring up to HL if I do Lit SL. English is basically a subject you do at HL if (a) you're really good at it and it can boost your overall marks (b) you have genuine interest in it

ReputationRep:
    Any advice or insight about the courses i'm considering would be appreciated!

These are the subjects i'm considering currently:

HL
    English Lit
    Geography
    Biology

SL
    Chinese B (or Spanish ab initio if the teacher doesn't allow.)
    Math
    Film (Online)

I have no idea what I want to do in the future so my subjects are pretty random.

I am debating on wether or not to take the film online course as it's not a popular choice and there is no one I can talk to with past experience in this course as no one in the year above me has taken it before. So if you had taken it before, i would love some insight on the course.

I am also unsure of taking Bio HL, I would rather do a science subject at SL but I already have 3 standards and I need a science subject.

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Is this good for medicine:
    Hl
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Geography
    Sl
    French
    English
    Mths
    Please advise me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppjk)
    Is this good for medicine:
    Hl
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Geography
    Sl
    French
    English
    Mths
    Please advise me
    It should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Is this an ok combination if i want to keep my options open?

i haven't the faintest what I'm going to do at uni and even less so as a job, but i am very interested in latin and biology. (i also like history a lot but i don't think i'd do it at uni).
    i also speak 4 languages fluently (english, french, spanish and hungarian) which is why i'm not taking any modern foreign languages... i plan on participating in debates and societies in spanish and french so i will keep them up!

anyway here are my subjects:

HIGHER LEVEL:
    -latin
    -biology
    -chemistry or physics (still haven't decided which one)

STANDARD LEVEL:
    -english lit
    -history
    -maths

Any help much appreciated! <3

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have a few questions on some of the subjects in IB but first I thought I would tell you what I'm thinking of taking next year.

Higher level
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Psychology

Standard level
    Maths
    English Lang/Lit
    Spanish ab initio

1. Can anyone who has taken HL Psychology advise me on what to expect in exams? Is it similar to biology, with quite a lot of memorisation or is there a lot more to it?

2. Is there a big difference between taking English Lang/Lit and taking English Lit? Because I really don't know what to choose as they don't seem that different.

3. Is this a good combination for giving me a broad range of (medical-based) university/career options?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefanie.ng)
    Hey!

I will be choosing my IB subjects in around 3 months time (I'm in Year 11) and I'd like to pursue a career in the psychology field, hopefully turn out as a clinical psychologist. I really want to get into the oxbridge, or just a uni with a good psych course/ high ranking and reputation. The only subjects I'm certain I want to take is HL psychology and SL maths

And the remaining subjects I'm most likely going to take is an English course whether at lang/lit or lit, at SL or HL? Spanish B at SL or HL? Chemistry at SL or HL?

That leaves me with one subject left either to be taken at SL or HL depending on how I choose my subjects. My parents really want me to take biology but I honestly do not like biology and I struggle with it, but if I don't pick biology I have no other subjects I'm interested in taking...

By the way, is maths important for psychology? Do I really have to take SL Maths or would I be fine if I took maths studies?

Any help? Advice?

Thank you!!
    Hey there!

My sister took HL psychology and maths studies in IB and she's now studying psychology in university. However, you say that you want to get into Oxbridge, and I'm not sure about Oxbridge specifically, but I know that some universities do not recognise maths studies and therefore will not accept you. So I would double check to see if your university of choice accepts students who took maths studies.

Again, that being said my sister did get into a perfectly reasonable university by studying maths studies and HL psychology.

Lastly, I do want to mention that my sister did take HL biology as well, which may have helped her in taking psychology but I'm really not sure if it's necessary.

Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I have to choose my IB subjects in a few weeks, and I am majorly STRESSING OUT because I have no idea what I want to do for university or a future career. I know that I'd love to do something in the creative arts industry, but it's risky since I'm not exceptionally good at anything in that field. I do have a love/hobby for photography and making occasional video montages and am currently debating whether I should take SL Film Studies, Music or Bio for my last SL subject slot.

Here's what I think I'll be taking:
    HL
    - Maths/English Lit (undecided)
    - Chem
    - Econ (I have no knowledge prior to starting this course next year, but apparently SL Econ is pretty much ab initio and the jump from SL to HL isn't that big? I've also read that HL Econ is a less rigourous course and is easier to get a good score compared to other HLs -- is that true?)

SL
    - Chinese A
    - Maths/English Lit (undecided :/)
    - Film/Music/Bio

I know 2 instruments - diploma level, participate in orchestras, know a bit of theory etc., so I know if I take music, I can probably guarantee at the very least a 5 or 6, but I know for sure that I don't want a future career in music (which sucks because I do a lot of activities related to it xD) so if I DO take it, it will just be to help boost my score. (I'm also doing it for IGCSE)

My interest level for bio isn't very high and I'm not achieving top scores in IGCSE currently, but it goes well with my HL Chem, and opens up more career options. I have a horrible memory though, which makes me wonder if I should take it, because I know that you have to remember tons and TONS of things (pretty much just hardcore raw memorisation) and combined with my low level of interest for the subject, I just don't know if I can achieve a good score. I am extremely paranoid about my IB options because I messed up bigtime for my IGCSE options which I makes me feel like slapping myself 127 times everytime I think about it, so I really want to make sure I make the right decision for IB! :P

As you can see, I still have a lot of decisions to make, so I was wondering if any of you could give me advice? Anyone who has experience in any of the courses mentioned above or are currently taking them, can give me some details on what the subject is about, or the level of difficulty (how difficult it is to get a good score like 6/7) or list what pathways taking that certain subject can lead to? ..and generally any advice really xD

So sorry for the long read, but any help is gladly appreciated!
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chenji)
    Hello! I have to choose my IB subjects in a few weeks, and I am majorly STRESSING OUT because I have no idea what I want to do for university or a future career. I know that I'd love to do something in the creative arts industry, but it's risky since I'm not exceptionally good at anything in that field. I do have a love/hobby for photography and making occasional video montages and am currently debating whether I should take SL Film Studies, Music or Bio for my last SL subject slot.

Here's what I think I'll be taking:
    HL
    - Maths/English Lit (undecided)
    - Chem
    - Econ (I have no knowledge prior to starting this course next year, but apparently SL Econ is pretty much ab initio and the jump from SL to HL isn't that big? I've also read that HL Econ is a less rigourous course and is easier to get a good score compared to other HLs -- is that true?)

SL
    - Chinese A
    - Maths/English Lit (undecided :/)
    - Film/Music/Bio

I know 2 instruments - diploma level, participate in orchestras, know a bit of theory etc., so I know if I take music, I can probably guarantee at the very least a 5 or 6, but I know for sure that I don't want a future career in music (which sucks because I do a lot of activities related to it xD) so if I DO take it, it will just be to help boost my score. (I'm also doing it for IGCSE)

My interest level for bio isn't very high and I'm not achieving top scores in IGCSE currently, but it goes well with my HL Chem, and opens up more career options. I have a horrible memory though, which makes me wonder if I should take it, because I know that you have to remember tons and TONS of things (pretty much just hardcore raw memorisation) and combined with my low level of interest for the subject, I just don't know if I can achieve a good score. I am extremely paranoid about my IB options because I messed up bigtime for my IGCSE options which I makes me feel like slapping myself 127 times everytime I think about it, so I really want to make sure I make the right decision for IB! :P

As you can see, I still have a lot of decisions to make, so I was wondering if any of you could give me advice? Anyone who has experience in any of the courses mentioned above or are currently taking them, can give me some details on what the subject is about, or the level of difficulty (how difficult it is to get a good score like 6/7) or list what pathways taking that certain subject can lead to? ..and generally any advice really xD

So sorry for the long read, but any help is gladly appreciated!
    Thank you so much!
    Go with SL Math/HL English and thank me later. It's far less work if you have a good grasp of English and can write well. As for Economics, it's not too hard but it involves a lot of math, HL more so than SL. I took Economics in IGCSE but not in IB, and from a look at my friend's books it seems pretty similar, just in more depth. However, coming into IGCSE Economics without any background in Economics is kind of hard in itself, and IB Economics is probably harder to get into, so maybe you should stick to SL Economics or change HL Economics to another HL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gkkiller)
    Go with SL Math/HL English and thank me later. It's far less work if you have a good grasp of English and can write well. As for Economics, it's not too hard but it involves a lot of math, HL more so than SL. I took Economics in IGCSE but not in IB, and from a look at my friend's books it seems pretty similar, just in more depth. However, coming into IGCSE Economics without any background in Economics is kind of hard in itself, and IB Economics is probably harder to get into, so maybe you should stick to SL Economics or change HL Economics to another HL.
    aw okay thanks so much for the advice!! From the numerous forums and websites I've visited and people that I've asked, HL Econ seems to be okay though! What other HLs would you recommend if I were to drop Econ to SL or altogether? :/

ReputationRep:
    Go with HL Film/Music? Generally people taking a Group 6 subject take it HL because the only reason they're taking it is because they want to pursue it in their career, so doing it SL is kind of half-hearted if you're really interested. The best advice I got about picking subjects was to take subjects I like, because otherwise I'd hate IB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gkkiller)
    Go with HL Film/Music? Generally people taking a Group 6 subject take it HL because the only reason they're taking it is because they want to pursue it in their career, so doing it SL is kind of half-hearted if you're really interested. The best advice I got about picking subjects was to take subjects I like, because otherwise I'd hate IB.
    I know most people would take an arts subject at HL, but the thing is I'm not sure if I will pursue it for my career (despite how much I want to, I don't think I'm cut out for it and my parents don't think so either xD), and rather am just doing it out of pure interest. I've also never taken any film course before, so I think it's a bit risky to take HL Film Studies. If I take Music, it will probably be at SL to boost my overall score unless I run out of HLs, at which point I might swap it up to HL because I am rather confident in that subject.

and yeah a family friend of mine told me previously that instead of choosing subjects that I liked, choose subjects that I didn't dislike! And that helped quite a bit, but I'm still torn between several options x(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgnesGrey1)
    1 - Like all HL subjects there is more content than SL obviously, but you can certainly handle it. It's not a lot (unlike Math SL vs Maths HL).
    2 - I can't really answer this question but from what I know of the markbands it is harder to get a 6/7 at HL.
    3 - I can't think of any uni subjects, except for English, where Eng Lit HL is required. English Language and Literature, however, might help with applying for subjects like Law, if you do it at HL.

If I were you, the deciding factor would be what subject I would bring up to HL if I do Lit SL. English is basically a subject you do at HL if (a) you're really good at it and it can boost your overall marks (b) you have genuine interest in it
    Thank you so much for your answer. Your advice sounds reasonable, but I've already chosen to do SL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chenji)
    aw okay thanks so much for the advice!! From the numerous forums and websites I've visited and people that I've asked, HL Econ seems to be okay though! What other HLs would you recommend if I were to drop Econ to SL or altogether? :/
    Hi, I'm currently a second year IB-er and I take Econ at HL. We all took it up from scratch last year because it wasnt offered at my school for GCSE and everyone in my class is predicted either 6's or 7's. there isn't a huge maths content just a lot to memorise/ theory to learn, but I wouldn't say overall its terribly challenging, if that helps If you have an interest in economics/business/politics, then I'd recommend it x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilys7)
    Hi, I'm currently a second year IB-er and I take Econ at HL. We all took it up from scratch last year because it wasnt offered at my school for GCSE and everyone in my class is predicted either 6's or 7's. there isn't a huge maths content just a lot to memorise/ theory to learn, but I wouldn't say overall its terribly challenging, if that helps If you have an interest in economics/business/politics, then I'd recommend it x
    oh! A lot to memorise? D:
    aww that is definitely not a strong point for me, but I think I will take the subject anyways :P
    Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Hey my mums a clinical psychologist and studies maths will be fine BUT if you want to get into a good uni you should always do standard maths. If you don't want to do a science then do ESS which is like a mixture between geography and biology and apparently that is much easier to do rather than physics, chemistry, biology

ReputationRep:
    is this combination okay?
    Chem HL
    Econ HL
    Maths HL
    Chinese SL
    English SL
    Music SL
    I really want to do Film SL (or HL -- might swap my arts subject with maths if it's too hard) but my mom wants me to stick with Music because it's an easier subject for me. But I don't have that much interest for music. Should I go for an easier subject that I don't have an interest in, or a subject that I have an interest in (and has no written exam heheh)? What would you guys recommend?
    I'm thinking of going into either the science-y field or film/photography field (will probably end up minoring it instead of majoring) after I finish IB

please help?? We've already submitted our options, so if I want to change I'll have to do it soon so all the advice I can get will be appreciated!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.