Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, i'm having trouble with one of my HL's, chemistry has always eluded me, even when i would study for a test, i still wouldn't get the result that i want. i wonder if it's my study technique(reading different text books to get more info), but whatever it is, i'm looking for it. so how would you guys suggest i manage the beast that is IB chem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chenji)
    is this combination okay?
    Chem HL
    Econ HL
    Maths HL
    Chinese SL
    English SL
    Music SL
    I really want to do Film SL (or HL -- might swap my arts subject with maths if it's too hard) but my mom wants me to stick with Music because it's an easier subject for me. But I don't have that much interest for music. Should I go for an easier subject that I don't have an interest in, or a subject that I have an interest in (and has no written exam heheh)? What would you guys recommend?
    I'm thinking of going into either the science-y field or film/photography field (will probably end up minoring it instead of majoring) after I finish IB

please help?? We've already submitted our options, so if I want to change I'll have to do it soon so all the advice I can get will be appreciated!
    Do the subject you will be more motivated to work hard in.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! I have to choose my IB subjects soon. To give some context I want to pursue medicine or biomedicine related fields of work in the future.

My current subjects are:

HL Chemistry
    HL Biology
    HL English lit

SL Spanish ab initio
    SL Maths
    SL Philosophy

I just have a few questions about the subjects I'm choosing, so feel free to give me a response if you have an answer to any of these:

1. I've heard that HL English is hard to get a 7 in, that being said, is it still quite an 'easy' subject? In my recent mock exams I got an A for both lang and lit, will this be ok for taking English lit at HL?

2. Has anyone done philosophy? If you have, could you please tell me about your personal view on it as I'm not entirely sure I want to take it.

3. Is SL maths very challenging? I'm not great at maths (in my mocks I got a B) but I pretty much need to take SL maths to get into the universities I want to get into.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eman5000)
    hi, i'm having trouble with one of my HL's, chemistry has always eluded me, even when i would study for a test, i still wouldn't get the result that i want. i wonder if it's my study technique(reading different text books to get more info), but whatever it is, i'm looking for it. so how would you guys suggest i manage the beast that is IB chem?
    When I was doing Chemistry HL, I didn't bother with different textbooks. I read the main textbook and summarized it briefly. But practicing is very important. Do problems in the book and the past papers, because IB exams can be repetitive. Also, I bought a summary textbook, which proved to be useful just before the exams. so I would say don't waste your time on different textbooks, focus on one and do lots of problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppjk)
    Is this good for medicine:
    Hl
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Geography
    Sl
    French
    English
    Mths
    Please advise me
    Sounds ok, but check the requirements for courses (on UCAS) you want to apply to after you finish IB

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've been having some troubles lately, I mean leave it to an IB school to start making us choose our diploma subjects like now. I'm thinking of doing Law in Uni, I've looked at UCL, LSE, Durham... (you get the gist), and I'm thinking of taking
    HL
    History
    English Language and Literature
    Business and Management or Psych

SL
    Math Studies
    Environmental Studies or Chem
    French Ab Initio

and I've always been like a 45 above student, (IB final grades are out of 56 for MYP) and last year I got my best which was a 49, so I just didn't know if the subjects I chose were 'wise', because math studies has a notorious reputation, it's 'laughable' and same goes for Environmental studies, but I don't know what subjects I should take if I want to score at least a 39 to be considered by UCL in Diploma.

Would anyone please shed some light ??? THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliette.vo)
    Hey everyone! I have to choose my IB subjects soon. To give some context I want to pursue medicine or biomedicine related fields of work in the future.

My current subjects are:

HL Chemistry
    HL Biology
    HL English lit

SL Spanish ab initio
    SL Maths
    SL Philosophy

I just have a few questions about the subjects I'm choosing, so feel free to give me a response if you have an answer to any of these:

1. I've heard that HL English is hard to get a 7 in, that being said, is it still quite an 'easy' subject? In my recent mock exams I got an A for both lang and lit, will this be ok for taking English lit at HL?

2. Has anyone done philosophy? If you have, could you please tell me about your personal view on it as I'm not entirely sure I want to take it.

3. Is SL maths very challenging? I'm not great at maths (in my mocks I got a B) but I pretty much need to take SL maths to get into the universities I want to get into.

Thank you!
    I plan on taking the exact same higher levels as you and i have the same concern about english. I am worried taking biology chemistry and english will be too challenging

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tetroquark)
    When I was doing Chemistry HL, I didn't bother with different textbooks. I read the main textbook and summarized it briefly. But practicing is very important. Do problems in the book and the past papers, because IB exams can be repetitive. Also, I bought a summary textbook, which proved to be useful just before the exams. so I would say don't waste your time on different textbooks, focus on one and do lots of problems
    thanks a bunch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'd really advise not doing HL maths - I've applied for medicine and have lots of friends that are doing medicine with SL maths, it will save you a lot of time!! I know people who got A*s in their maths at iGCSE (like myself) and really struggled with HL maths. I'm doing SL maths and it's enough of a challenge!!
    From talking to my friends who are doing HL English and HL History they seem to say it's comparatively harder to get 7s in English than it is in History so I'd probably advise doing HL History. (My 3rd Higher is French)

You can always start with 4 highers for a bit - I started y12 with HL Psychology and French as well as Bio and Chem (which I knew I wouldn't change) because I wasn't sure if I wanted to do French or Psychology

Hope this helps!!

(Original post by tashaaaness)
    Hey!

Okay so I basically need some help.

I'm planning to pursue either vet med/med/pharmacy (but more likely pharmacy) and I picked these IB subjects:

HL
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

SL
    Spanish ab initio
    English A1
    History

BUT, I recently got my IGCSE results - I only got an A (ie not A*) for Maths and a really horrible grade for Additional Maths :p: and my school is now recommending that I drop Maths HL and take up either English or History.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it advisable to drop Maths HL despite wanting to pursue the sciences at university? Will this make me a little bit more disadvantaged than other applicants applying for the same courses? I know Maths HL is not required as I've got both Biology and Chem at HL but.. is it preferred?

I COULD try my best for Maths HL - that is, work my butt off for it but I'd just like to hear everybody's opinion on whether it's worth it, and whether I even need it!

2. Also, IF I do drop Maths HL, which HL should I take up, English A1 or History? I love both equally, and scored A*s for English First Language, English Literature and History at IGCSE and I'm pretty much torn between the two. So I WOULD like to pick the one I love - but I love both so uhhh, yeah I kinda need help :p:.

Can anyone out there tell me which HL they felt was better for them & why, whether the workload will be too much if I were to take one instead of the other..etc?

It'd be much appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliette.vo)

HL Chemistry
    HL Biology
    HL English lit

I have the exact same HL's! HL english lit is apparently one of the hardest classes, but I've actually really enjoyed it the past 2 years and I think its totally manageable as long as you're really interested in books and analysing them 😂 If you got an A in lang lit and you feel like you're better talking about language then maybe lang lit is better for you. In lang lit they have 2 sections of the course just about the use of language (e.g speeches, gender, power, advertisements) and the other 2 are literature related. So its a better mix of both haha
    A good thing about lit HL is that 55% of your grade is already determined before you enter the exam rooms, not sure what its like for lang lit though, but i think it might be more exam dependent 😂
    and SL maths can be a real b***h sometimes, but as long as you have a really good and patient teacher then I'm sure you'll manage!! And do lots of exam style questions for math too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I'm interested in taking economics at Bath but am really not sure which other HL subject to take other than Economics HL and Math SL(we don't have math HL).

Here are my options:
    Business mgt. HL
    Physics HL
    Chemistry HL

If I take business HL I must take a science at sl (probably Biology).Your reply would be a great help. + computer science SL perhaps.
    -I took Arabic B Hl and English A sl too
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 16284_1.pdf (320.3 KB, 59 views)

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I want to study economics or finance.
    For sure I will take Math HL, English B HL, Polish A SL, Geo HL
    1. Is physics SL the easiest subject from science?
    2. I would really enjoy taking Economics as my 6th subject, but it is unavailable in my school . Will history be a good subject for me? Is this really hard subject?
    3. My level of English is B2. Will I have a hard time in IB?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Jonymielony,

I'm not sure about the answers to your first two questions, as I am also starting the IB next year, but I've talked to my IB coordinator about foreign languages B at higher level (spanish in my case), and he said that they are absolutely doable for anyone who has A2-B1, provided they are willing to work hard. So you should have a headstart with your level B2.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am interested in choosing the following subjects for my IB diploma programme:

English A SL/HL
    Spanish B HL
    Geography HL
    Business Management SL/HL
    Computer Science SL
    Maths SL/HL

1. I have not had computer science classes so far, but we can choose between either biology, physics or computer science, and to me biology and physics were really boring. Is computer science manageable?
    2. I am not sure whether I should take English, Maths or Business Management for my third higher level. I think I would prefer to choose Business Management, but that is a self-study online course and I haven't had any classes in the subject before. So should I go for English instead? Or perhaps Maths? Which is easiest?
    3. Is this a good choice considering I am interested in studying business management at unit?

ReputationRep:
    But, I am going to learn for example history in english. It is not my native language.

ReputationRep:
    It may be difficult in the beginning, but it should be manageable, if you can easily understand conversations in English. And I am sure you will learn it very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys! I've pretty much got most of my IB options now, which are as follows:

HL: History, English Language and Literature, Chemistry
    SL: Chinese B, Maths, Economics

But I'm having second thoughts about doing HL English Language and Literature - I'm considering switching over to HL English Literature. I tried looking up which course would be more suitable, and so far I've found that apparently English Language and Literature is easier, but English Literature more respectable. I also know that the workload for English Literature is quite a lot, but apart from that, I don't really know which one is "better".

Which English course would you guys recommend taking? I've been quite stressed over this, because I want to make sure my IB options are perfect, but the English teachers at my school haven't offered much guidance on this so I'm a bit stuck.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nusquam)
    Hello guys! I've pretty much got most of my IB options now, which are as follows:

HL: History, English Language and Literature, Chemistry
    SL: Chinese B, Maths, Economics

But I'm having second thoughts about doing HL English Language and Literature - I'm considering switching over to HL English Literature. I tried looking up which course would be more suitable, and so far I've found that apparently English Language and Literature is easier, but English Literature more respectable. I also know that the workload for English Literature is quite a lot, but apart from that, I don't really know which one is "better".

Which English course would you guys recommend taking? I've been quite stressed over this, because I want to make sure my IB options are perfect, but the English teachers at my school haven't offered much guidance on this so I'm a bit stuck.

Thanks!

Hi!
    Although I haven't done the IB yet (so I can't give you experienced advice), I have been to several open days for schools that do the IBDP, and I asked the exact same question, so here's what I think:

i think it depends on the person. I'm taking English lit next year, and that's because I'm the kind of person who loves reading, and the feeling I got was the lit course involved a lot more reading and lit crit than the language + lit course.
    so, basically, if you don't like reading and writing essays, then take the language + lit course. if you do, that's great, then i'd recommend you take the lit course.

regarding the workload and the respectability of the course, I'm not sure as I'm only starting the IB in September. but usually if a subject is harder, then it will probably be more 'respectable'. but, that doesn't mean you should take it

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am interested in choosing the following subjects for my IB diploma programme:

English A SL/HL
    Spanish B HL
    Geography HL
    Business Management SL/HL
    Computer Science SL
    Maths SL/HL

1. I have not had computer science classes so far, but we can choose between either biology, physics or computer science, and to me biology and physics were really boring. Is computer science manageable?
    2. I am not sure whether I should take English, Maths or Business Management for my third higher level. I think I would prefer to choose Business Management, but that is a self-study online course and I haven't had any classes in the subject before. So should I go for English instead? Or perhaps Maths? Which is easiest?
    3. Is this a good choice considering I am interested in studying business management at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Maths HL is HARD.
    I'd suggest doing either SL two year or math studies one year (if your school offers it). Universities do not see the difference as they both show as SL.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.