Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    you obviously dont know "what is required to get the diploma" since you did not know you need 2 languages at least one of which must be A, in order to get it.

its relevant because you cant give people advise about things you dont really understand.

so instead of telling him what subject combination to do exactly, you could have told him what subjects you think unis like.
    I do know what is required. I said clearly that I never understood the subject combination thing, but I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to the other parts of the qualification.

It's not relevant, because I'm not advising anyone about anything I don't understand. I understand perfectly the subject content, and what subjects I think are good at equipping students for a degree in economics. I told no one what subjects to take; only suggestions. You did well in pointing out that my suggestion was slightly invalid.

I don't understand the hostility with you IBers. I've been negged so many times for being someone who takes A levels, but still contributes in IB threads. The subject content isn't that different; we can still have opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    I do know what is required. I said clearly that I never understood the subject combination thing, but I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to the other parts of the qualification.

It's not relevant, because I'm not advising anyone about anything I don't understand. I understand perfectly the subject content, and what subjects I think are good at equipping students for a degree in economics. I told no one what subjects to take; only suggestions. You did well in pointing out that my suggestion was slightly invalid.

I don't understand the hostility with you IBers. I've been negged so many times for being someone who takes A levels, but still contributes in IB threads. The subject content isn't that different; we can still have opinions.
    i just dont like people who think they know what theyr talking about but really dont.

as i said in my post before, had u just said take subject x,y, and z they are good for econ - then i wouldn have said anything (also i agree with what subjects you advised)

this has nothing to do with you being A-level or not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on taking Law or humanities in University, but applying for UK and US universities. However I heard that:

1) You don't need to care what subjects you take for IB if you're applying for a US university.

2) UK universities look at your POINTS most.

The thing is, I find Chemistry REALLY HARD, I'm so not a math/science person...Should I drop it?

I take:

English A1 HL
    Geography HL
    Biology HL (I like this one)
    Math SL
    Chem SL
    Chinese A2 SL

If I drop Chem and change to...History, would my subject range be minimum, or limited?

I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but Law you can choose any subjects I heard...

Help would be appreciated, my deadline for subject change is next week.

ReputationRep:
    English A1 HL
    Geography HL
    Biology HL

Math SL
    Chinese SL
    Chemistry SL

Are they a good range of subjects?

I'm not sure what I want to do when I go to uni/job.

I've started IB for a month now, and I find Chemistry SL very hard...If I change it to "History SL" would it be a wrong balance?

I'm trying to get a wide range/variety, so if I drop Chem would I be at a disadvantage?

And is DOUBLE SCIENCE hard for IB? I heard lots of people drop it.

And is Math Studies worth dropping to? Will universities NOT recognize it?

Lots of questions
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm no expert on IB specifically but universities aren't actually intersted in variety or range...many look down upon it (I had a wide range of A and AS level because I, like you was unsure what I wanted to do...caused me no end of problems in the long run...) your HL subjects are a very common combination; I reckon history would be something you'd do well in if you have that sort of mind...your language also fits in well...not sure about maths...what would your options to switch be..?.if you have the ability to do it I'd say go for it and don't drop it for the sake of it everyone knows what maths is and it's a good life skill..but if you're planning on dropping itand want advice mind posting your options?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Two almost identical threads I've replied to the first...read it and post back here if you prefer...but if you're able to pull the first thread do....

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, feeling so crappy, I'm stressed out about changing subjects...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Danomind)
    Thanks so much, feeling so crappy, I'm stressed out about changing subjects...
    s'alright not knowing what you want to do makes this sort of thing more stressful...saw on your other thread you might be interested in law...how about running it past one of your teachers or a careers adviser if there's one at your school/college just to make sure you've got it right? My brother wants to do law also and you're right in thinkning that you shouldn't do law at this stage; history's a good subject as is english...if you're dramatic you could do drama...however sensible options like maths may carry more weight, not sure...geography and a language are also good subjects...my brother's doing a levels in english, economics, maths and history and that combination is fine if that helps at all

ReputationRep:
    English A1 HL
    Geography HL
    Biology HL

Math SL
    Chinese SL
    Chemistry SL

Are they a good range of subjects?

I'm not sure what I want to do when I go to uni/job.

I've started IB for a month now, and I find Chemistry SL very hard...If I change it to "History SL" would it be a wrong balance?

I'm trying to get a wide range/variety, so if I drop Chem would I be at a disadvantage?

And is DOUBLE SCIENCE hard for IB? I heard lots of people drop it.

And is Math Studies worth dropping to? Will universities NOT recognize it?

Lots of questions
    Depends on what you mean by "good" - do you mean good as in whether it is easy or not, or whether you will learn more useful stuff... or whether unis will like it more?
    Certainly unis may like your combination of subjects as they are all relatively speaking "hard" subjects.... I guess even if you sub history for Chem it'd still be quite a demanding course!

Your higher level courses looks fine - bio is quite nice (well, as long as you remember everything then you're good), geog seems alright, and english is quite an easy higher course to do....

Your standards look a tad .... difficult.. Well, unless you're Chinese, SL CHinese course is not easy and it's very annoying. Maths is a killer ( I take SL maths), and CHemistry is just..... ... "bad". I mean. It's got one of the smallest numbers of 7s every year.. Unless you're willing to commit and you love the subject.. then Yeah...

As I mentioned previously - History is just loads of information. You really need to love it to be motivated.

Yes apparently maths studies is not a very recognized course - esp if you want to do a maths-related subject.

Also I think you've got quite a range already.. IB is all about range.. And Unis won't mind. It won't be a wrong balance.

Double science is hard.. but atleast bio plus chem is better then chem plus physics.

Again you must remember that the nature of the IB course is much more demanding in general to ALevels... There are six subjects you need to play with, and you have to take care of your EE, CAS and TOK!

In general my advice would be - pick the subjects you love and.... yeah try your best...

GOod luck!

ReputationRep:
    I sit my final exams in roughly three weeks and my subject combination is relatively similar to yours.
    HL English is a doddle if you're a talented Englisher and excruciatingly difficult if, to be frank, you're not. There's really no 'formula' to success in it.
    Double Science is fine if you're good at Science - the key to success in IB lies in doing subjects you enjoy and are good at. I don't take Geo but I've heard lots of good things about it.
    SL Chem and Maths I do take - both are fine, and it is perfectly feasible to get 100% in either if you do the work, as both are fairly prescriptive. Wouldn't advise taking Maths Studies if you don't know what to do next, simply because it's very very easy.

Hope that was helpfuul!

ReputationRep:
    I have regretted one of the subjects in IGCSE: music! And I am failing on it too so I really do not want that to happen on my IB. What subjects should I chose? I am not sure what I want to be when I grow up. I've been wanting to do law because it looks like fun to be on court and everything on tv...but then the subject combinations (history and english) seem to be really boring in my opinion...is law like history and english? If so, I don't think I want to do that....

WHAT SHOULD I DO? A few days ago, I was thinking about:

HL English
    HL History
    HL Economics

SL Biology
    SL Math
    SL Chinese

Now, I don't know...history is really hard and so is english...both require lots of writing and literature and I am not that good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirlypop)
    I have regretted one of the subjects in IGCSE: music! And I am failing on it too so I really do not want that to happen on my IB. What subjects should I chose? I am not sure what I want to be when I grow up. I've been wanting to do law because it looks like fun to be on court and everything on tv...but then the subject combinations (history and english) seem to be really boring in my opinion...is law like history and english? If so, I don't think I want to do that....

WHAT SHOULD I DO? A few days ago, I was thinking about:

HL English
    HL History
    HL Economics

SL Biology
    SL Math
    SL Chinese

Now, I don't know...history is really hard and so is english...both require lots of writing and literature and I am not that good...
    I'd recommend choosing your university choices based on your interest in that course, e.g. law, and the career open in front of you. You really should see what "actually" happens in a courtroom, instead of what happens on television... Law requires analysis of complex situations and attempting to find the best and just solution possible. If you are entering law for its "fun" factor, you might be discouraged. Maybe you should look at what you find interesting, academically and professionally, and revaluate your uni course choices?

ReputationRep:
    I am an international student and I am planning to apply some unis in UK through UCAS.

Here is my current subject combination:

Chinese A1 SL
    English A2 HL
    Mathematics SL

Geography HL
    Economics HL
    Environmental Systems SL

However, as I suffered some health problems I screwed up my final exam in year 12, especially Maths SL. My teacher said he may predict me as a 3 or 4 now and I am not sure whether I can pull up my Maths grade in 2 to 3 months (before UCAS deadline) therefore I am considering dropping to Math Studies.

Reasons that support my decision:
    1) Pull up my overall IB Predicted Grade (as I am currently only getting 29/42)
    2) I don't think my Math teacher will raise my predicted grade based on my performance in the coming 2 to 3 months.
    3) Even he does, it is risky to hope that I can pick all the stuffs I have missed and achieve outstanding results that can impress my Math teacher.
    4) I am planning to apply for Geography and possessing good Mathematical skills is not necessary.

Reasons that against my decision:
    1) If I drop Maths SL to Math Studies, my subject combination will be very soft as I have already been taking Environmental Systems SL.
    2) I got 29 because of my health problems and I am actually pretty sure to get a predicted grade above 34 [assuming I get a 6 in Math], therefore if this really happens and I can apply to some prestigious while competitive universities I will be disadvantaged due to my soft subject combination.

Could you guys offer me some advice? > <

ReputationRep:
    You're applying for Geography...

Oxford requirements:
    "IB: 38–40 including core points"

UCL requirements:
    "L700, F800, F810: 34-38 points with grade 6 in Geography at higher level preferred."

KCL requirements:
    "34 points overall with 6,5,5 at HL. Geography at Higher Level preferred. GCSE requirement: Grade C at English and Maths required (or equivalent)"

so, you need the high points with a high grade in Geography HL and your other HLs. I'd personally say go for Studies if you can't improve your grade quickly enough.

PS. make sure to have your reference say you've been very sick, and if they expect you to do better in the actual exams?

ReputationRep:
    Drop to studies, it's lovely :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Studies!

ReputationRep:
    First off, you should research what a career in law is really like. It's not all courtroom arguments, unfortunately. It's mostly paperwork.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 852er)
    Depends on what you mean by "good" - do you mean good as in whether it is easy or not, or whether you will learn more useful stuff... or whether unis will like it more?
    Certainly unis may like your combination of subjects as they are all relatively speaking "hard" subjects.... I guess even if you sub history for Chem it'd still be quite a demanding course!

Your higher level courses looks fine - bio is quite nice (well, as long as you remember everything then you're good), geog seems alright, and english is quite an easy higher course to do....

Your standards look a tad .... difficult.. Well, unless you're Chinese, SL CHinese course is not easy and it's very annoying. Maths is a killer ( I take SL maths), and CHemistry is just..... ... "bad". I mean. It's got one of the smallest numbers of 7s every year.. Unless you're willing to commit and you love the subject.. then Yeah...

As I mentioned previously - History is just loads of information. You really need to love it to be motivated.

Yes apparently maths studies is not a very recognized course - esp if you want to do a maths-related subject.

Also I think you've got quite a range already.. IB is all about range.. And Unis won't mind. It won't be a wrong balance.

Double science is hard.. but atleast bio plus chem is better then chem plus physics.

Again you must remember that the nature of the IB course is much more demanding in general to ALevels... There are six subjects you need to play with, and you have to take care of your EE, CAS and TOK!

In general my advice would be - pick the subjects you love and.... yeah try your best...

GOod luck!

What if I change SL to Chinese B and Math and Chinese studies?

ReputationRep:
    What if I change SL to Chinese B and Math and Chinese studies?
    huh? Sorry I don't get it. Change SL To Chinese B and MATH/Chinese studies?

I have never heard of Chinese studies - and weren't you doing B SL?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your advice =]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.