Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BananaWaffle)
    Hi all!I'm starting the IB next year and I need a little help choosing my subjects. For now, I have chosen HL English, History, and language B. My SLs are Math Studies, Psychology, and Science. But I'm thinking about switching from Math St to Math SL even though I'm obviously going to buuuurn even in the SL Math classes. I'm really bad at math and honestly have no intention of doing anything math based in the future, because I want to go the law school (and as for studying law, I can get away with whatever the bare minimum of math study necessary to get my pre-law education over with is - in this case, Math Studies. Lol I think that's one of the reasons law school is such a popular area of study that it is one of a few professional/graduate fields of study where a math-phobic (aka me) candidate can completely avoid any exposure to mathematics after high school graduation ) But the thing is, I'm also thinking about studying political science or international relations. I did my research and found out that for a mere bachelor's degree, I'd have to take, at a minimum, whatever math is required (at last the general requirements my college/uni requires for the degree, plus any math required to complete the major in political sience). So what do you guys think? What should I do? And what do you guys think about the whole schedule in general?
    Hey! I just finished IB a few weeks ago.

The maths thing is always so difficult in IB. I hate maths too - I'm bad at it and was also thinking of studying law, so I realized I was in the clear with math studies! Even if I didn't do law, I was thinking I'd study something on the arts side rather than the science side of things, and therefore I got away with being in math studies.

I'd advise you to start out in maths SL - it definitely keeps your options open more than studies does. While you can always make up the standard level course in a few summers or a gap year, if you try it out and find that it's doable you may want to stick with it because of your career intentions. I was in the SL course for the first few months of IB. I think I had a 3 or something in it, which I was not tolerating; I determined that it would be more beneficial for me to get a 7 in studies than a 3 or 4 in standard. I thought that a higher points score overall would be more useful to me than a lower points score, but with SL.

But you never know, if you try out the course you could be getting 5s and 6s and be alright with it, and you won't have to worry that you're closing doors to a science related career! So yeah, I'd say to try it out and weight up how you feel in the first few months of IB - you can't leave it too late, otherwise there's too much catching up to do if you drop down to studies because the things we learn are totally different to standard.

Other than that, your classes look great! I'd just say that if you're gonna do an HL language B expect it to be challenging! You'll probably want to be near fluent to have a good time.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm an International student starting the IB in August. I still have to choose my subjects and I would like to read your advice.

I don't have a clear view of my future but I was thinking about majoring in Economics (and perhaps double-majoring or minoring in something else) while spending at least a year abroad (possibly in Spain but I don't really know). Then I want to complete a Master's degree abroad (maybe in France?). This is to acquire proficiency in two languages other than English because my dream would be to be a simultaneous interpreter at the UN or EU parliament.

My IB subject combination would be:
    - English A HL (is it going to be too hard given that I'm not a native speaker?)
    - French B HL
    - Spanish ab initio SL
    - Global politics SL/HL (I'm not sure whether to take this at HL or not)
    - Maths HL (please, could you link me the syllabus as I'm quite weak in maths and I'd like to go through the material beforehand)
    - Physics or biology SL/HL (would it be better to take a science at HL or a 3rd group subject? I'm inclined towards physics btw)

(If you know where to get scholarships to study abroad, please let me know, as I have no idea how to earn all the money I need to accomplish my dreams - also because I wanna go to an Ivy. Thanks!)

Thank you very much and sorry for the lengthy post - I hope I don't sound too naive. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saraaa22)
    Hey! I'm an International student starting the IB in August. I still have to choose my subjects and I would like to read your advice.

I don't have a clear view of my future but I was thinking about majoring in Economics (and perhaps double-majoring or minoring in something else) while spending at least a year abroad (possibly in Spain but I don't really know). Then I want to complete a Master's degree abroad (maybe in France?). This is to acquire proficiency in two languages other than English because my dream would be to be a simultaneous interpreter at the UN or EU parliament.

My IB subject combination would be:
    - English A HL (is it going to be too hard given that I'm not a native speaker?)
    - French B HL
    - Spanish ab initio SL
    - Global politics SL/HL (I'm not sure whether to take this at HL or not)
    - Maths HL (please, could you link me the syllabus as I'm quite weak in maths and I'd like to go through the material beforehand)
    - Physics or biology SL/HL (would it be better to take a science at HL or a 3rd group subject? I'm inclined towards physics btw)

(If you know where to get scholarships to study abroad, please let me know, as I have no idea how to earn all the money I need to accomplish my dreams - also because I wanna go to an Ivy. Thanks!)

Thank you very much and sorry for the lengthy post - I hope I don't sound too naive. Thanks again!
    Hey! Typing this on my phone so forgive my vague reply.

- I want to point out that if you want to study Economics in Uni, a good idea would be to study HL Econ. You'd also need to study HL maths, so be sure to keep that.

- English Literature is quite challenging, especially if you're not a native speaker - does your school offer English Language and Literature? I've heard that that's slightly easier.

- You already have three HLs (English, French, Maths), so don't stress yourself out by taking HL Global Politics (and science if you're considering it). You won't get extra credit for taking more HLs.

- It's better to take a science at SL if you already a) have three HLs (which you do), and b) if you're not looking for a science career. As for which subject, I'd probably say physics, especially if you're inclined towards it. HOWEVER, I've heard that SL biology is easier than SL physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nusquam)
    Hey! Typing this on my phone so forgive my vague reply.

- I want to point out that if you want to study Economics in Uni, a good idea would be to study HL Econ. You'd also need to study HL maths, so be sure to keep that.

- English Literature is quite challenging, especially if you're not a native speaker - does your school offer English Language and Literature? I've heard that that's slightly easier.

- You already have three HLs (English, French, Maths), so don't stress yourself out by taking HL Global Politics (and science if you're considering it). You won't get extra credit for taking more HLs.

- It's better to take a science at SL if you already a) have three HLs (which you do), and b) if you're not looking for a science career. As for which subject, I'd probably say physics, especially if you're inclined towards it. HOWEVER, I've heard that SL biology is easier than SL physics.
    Thanks for your answer!

- Economics is not offered unfortunately

- Yeah, there's English A Language&Lit. I'm going for this one then!

- Oh, I thought having four HLs would somewhat impress the selection committee at my target unis (since they are really competitive); plus I like politics so... but if really there's no difference perhaps I'll drop it to SL.

- Mhh... I'm probably going to take Physics SL. I feel like biology is just a lot of memorising, whereas physics is more about reasoning and logic always comes in handy sooner or later

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your answer!

- Economics is not offered unfortunately

- Yeah, there's English A Language&Lit. I'm going for this one then!

- Oh, I thought having four HLs would somewhat impress the selection committee at my target unis (since they are really competitive); plus I like politics so... but if really there's no difference perhaps I'll drop it to SL.

- Mhh... I'm probably going to take Physics SL. I feel like biology is just a lot of memorising, whereas physics is more about reasoning and logic always comes in handy sooner or later
    Hey!! You don't have to follow my advice necessarily, just do what you feel is right! Does your school offer Business, then?

Well, I'm not 100% sure on what effect taking 4 HLs will have. I know that universities look at your overall IB score more though. Maybe keep it at HL, and if you can't cope, then drop Global Politics to SL?

As for taking English A LL, don't 100% listen to me. Take a look at the courses and ask the teachers about them first, and then do the one you're interested in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nusquam)
    Hey!! You don't have to follow my advice necessarily, just do what you feel is right! Does your school offer Business, then?

Well, I'm not 100% sure on what effect taking 4 HLs will have. I know that universities look at your overall IB score more though. Maybe keep it at HL, and if you can't cope, then drop Global Politics to SL?

As for taking English A LL, don't 100% listen to me. Take a look at the courses and ask the teachers about them first, and then do the one you're interested in
    Haha your advice seemed reasonable and I think you're more informed than I am so

They do offer Business&Management but as far as I know it is regarded as a "soft subject" and, having already chosen Spanish ab initio, I'd rather go for something with a better reputation.

(This is a bit off topic but if anyone can answer, thanks since I want to be an interpreter at the UN or EU parliament, would it be better to major in economics (it'd give a great understanding of what has to be interpreted and it is a very useful and well-reputed major) or choose modern languages instead?)

ReputationRep:
    Haha your advice seemed reasonable and I think you're more informed than I am so

They do offer Business&Management but as far as I know it is regarded as a "soft subject" and, having already chosen Spanish ab initio, I'd rather go for something with a better reputation.

(This is a bit off topic but if anyone can answer, thanks since I want to be an interpreter at the UN or EU parliament, would it be better to major in economics (it'd give a great understanding of what has to be interpreted and it is a very useful and well-reputed major) or choose modern languages instead?)
    Haha please don't think I'm more informed, I haven't even started IB yet XD Just like you, I'm starting it next year aha

Oh okay, yeah, that's true. Maybe stick with Spanish then

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm starting IB next year and hoping to do engineering at uni (I'm aiming for Cambridge!?)
    My subject choices are:
    Maths, physics, DT HL
    Economics, French B, English SL

I really enjoy DT, I do it at GCSE, but I'm not sure if chemistry HL would make my life easier in terms of workload and getting uni offers? I know all HLs will take time, but does anyone know how the two compare?

Secondly, I've heard people call DT a soft subject, but lots of the course content is quite different to the A level, as it is much less practical and more theory based (or so I've been told...) so is the IB course viewed differently as it is science based?

Finally my sixth form gets 50%+ 7s in chemistry and none in DT (mostly 6s) does anyone know why getting a 7 in DT is so rare/ hard?? -is it realistically achievable?

Any other third HL suggestions for engineering? I'm still not 100% on this... But definitely a STEM degree. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon11)
    Hi, I'm starting IB next year and hoping to do engineering at uni (I'm aiming for Cambridge!?)
    My subject choices are:
    Maths, physics, DT HL
    Economics, French B, English SL

I really enjoy DT, I do it at GCSE, but I'm not sure if chemistry HL would make my life easier in terms of workload and getting uni offers? I know all HLs will take time, but does anyone know how the two compare?

Secondly, I've heard people call DT a soft subject, but lots of the course content is quite different to the A level, as it is much less practical and more theory based (or so I've been told...) so is the IB course viewed differently as it is science based?

Finally my sixth form gets 50%+ 7s in chemistry and none in DT (mostly 6s) does anyone know why getting a 7 in DT is so rare/ hard?? -is it realistically achievable?

Any other third HL suggestions for engineering? I'm still not 100% on this... But definitely a STEM degree. Thanks!
    Hey! I'm not sure what your strengths are, but I've heard that DT is easier than Chemistry (of course, this could very well depend on the person). However, it is true that DT is considered a softer subject when compared to Chemistry - I think that perhaps a better choice would be Chem HL, considering that fact that it might come in handy for materials + chemical engineering.

I'm not sure why getting a 7 in DT is hard, since I haven't studied it before, but just bear in mind that given the statistics, it would probably be a better option to go with Chemistry HL. If you're aiming high, universities will look at your choices and your overall IB score, and I would personally go for the subject where there is a higher chance of scoring a 7.

So yeah, TL;DR: pick Chem HL for engineering and not DT HL.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I need to choose my IB subjects soon, and I'm planning on HL: History, English Lit, Spanish B
    SL: maths,chemistry, Classical Greek and Roman studies
    I don't really know what I want to do in life, but I love history! Do you think These are good choices and: 1)is englishlit higher pointless 2) is HL history REALLY hard 3)should I do higher chemistry and 4) opinions on classical Greeks and Roman studies????
    Also I am aiming for Cambridge, Oxford or ucl
    Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tammybee)
    Hi, I need to choose my IB subjects soon, and I'm planning on HL: History, English Lit, Spanish B
    I don't really know what I want to do in life, but I love history! Do you think These are good choices and: 1)is englishlit higher pointless 2) is HL history REALLY hard 3)should I do higher chemistry and 4) opinions on classical Greeks and Roman studies????
    Thank you x
    Hihi

1) HL English Lit is a really good way of prepping yourself for essay-based subjects at uni, so take it!

2) I do (and absolutely love) HL History. It's a huge jump from iGCSE, particularly when it comes to writing essays. It's just vastly different, and doing my EE in it actually helped me improve a hundredfold. Content-wise, it can be a bit overwhelming at times. At my school we learn two units simultaneously; this year, we've studied Russia, Weimar and Nazi Germany, Italy, the League of Nations, and Japan. That's not even the entirety of our syllabus - we've still got the Cold War and Spanish Civil War to cover next year. Other than that, it's an amazing subject to take, so don't be put off by the large amount of work that you'll need to do. I think it's relatively similar to what studying history at university is sort of like, so take it!

3) If you're thinking of doing Classics or History, don't take HL Chem. Do it at SL instead. HL Chem is -- as per all of my Medicine friends -- "absolutely and positively deathly"

4) One of my friends wants to do Classics at uni, too. If you're interested in Ancient History, do it! History degrees -- which is what I'm applying to do at uni -- are more generalised; you study a range of units in different areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tammybee)
    Thank you x
    Hey, since you're not sure what you want to do in life, I'd suggest taking a higher science. The Russell Group universities published a guide last year (or recently but I can't remember when), and they said that it's a good idea to take facilitating subjects at higher if you're not sure what you want to do.

History and English lit are considered facilitating subjects, but bear in mind that if you go with these two HLs with Spanish B, you're basically closing up all your science/maths options. However, if you take a higher science (in your case, higher Chem), you still have a shot at studying science in uni if you decide humanities aren't your thing.

To answer the questions you asked though, taking English lit isn't pointless. It'll prepare you a lot if you want to study humanities subjects in uni - in particular, any English-related subjects (so like journalism or whatever), history, philosophy, law and any other essay-based subject. Also, it's considered as a facilitating subject, which is useful, seeing as you don't know what you want to do in the future.

Not quite sure about the difficulty of HL History, since I'm starting IB next year, but I've heard that the content is a real pain in the ass to memorise at times. However, I do know that it's quite interesting - as long as you're willing to put in a lot of time in training yourself how to write history essays + memorising the content, you should be fine.

I already covered taking Chem above, so I'm just going to move on. Classical Greek and Roman studies are rather "old" languages to study, so I think if you're wanting to go into a history direction, it'd definitely be useful. However, if you're not 100% you want to be translating old texts or studying anything Greek/Roman/history related, I'd suggest you drop one of the subjects?

EDIT: HL Chem is not as hard as most people make it out to be. Again, as long as you do your work, you'll be fine. There's quite a high percentage of people scoring an A* in HL Chem, compared to, say, HL English and HL History.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I need to choose my IB subjects quite soon and I'm a little indecisive.

My current thinking is:
    1- English A HL (decision between literature or Language&Lit
    2- Spanish B HL
    3- Maths SL
    4-Environmental Systems and Societies SL
    5- Business Management/Art History SL
    6-Visual Arts, design/ French B HL

I don't know for sure what I want to study at university but I know I will definitely not be doing anything science related. Languages, Psychology,
    Law, Fashion Design or Property were always my main options and economics sounded very appealing in case I decided to work in finance but to do economics at IB, one needs to take Maths HL and for personal reasons, I missed a lot of school during GCSE's and decided SL maths would be more suited to me which rules out economics.
    I'm also struggling with the decision between English Literature or Literature&Language and really wanted to hear about people's experience with both.
    Also I don't know how highly business management is regarded and am unsure if I should take it.
    My final dilemma is whether to do visual arts (which opens up the possibility of studying design at university) or French which I am very interested to proceed with as languages has always been a passion of mine.

I'm essentially very lost and would appreciate anyone's help and personal experiences with the aforementioned subjects.

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would definately take English literature, it is considered more of a 'pure' subject, and is preferred by universities as it is much more analytical writing.
    I would also take visual arts over French, as if you want to continue with arts this is important and later in life it would be easier to continue learning.
    Finally I would advise to definately not take business management, as it is a 'soft' subject and you are already taking another 'soft' subject (environmental systems) , therefore I recommend you take a subject such as geography, history, psychology, philosophy
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Help.A.A)
    Hi, I need to choose my IB subjects quite soon and I'm a little indecisive.

My current thinking is:
    1- English A HL (decision between literature or Language&Lit
    2- Spanish B HL
    3- Maths SL
    4-Environmental Systems and Societies SL
    5- Business Management/Art History SL
    6-Visual Arts, design/ French B HL

I
    Hi

So to answer your questions:

- I currently take HL English L&L. If you want to do something like Law, go ahead and do literature. But since you're interested in languages, L&L is a good option for what's essentially a crash course in linguistics and language in a modern setting; it's not just about analysing books. Sure, lit is revered as the more 'useful' course by universities but bias aside, putting English into a real-life setting away from all of the books has really helped improve my writing and speaking significantly. Another plus is that it's coursework intensive; Year One consisted of getting all of my Further Oral Activities (FOA) and Written Tasks out of the way. All that's left for me to do in Year Two are my exams and Internal Oral Assessment (IOA).

Unit-wise, we studied language and gender, language and change, and language in power. My teacher decided to orient our studies around linguistic theories, psychoanalysis, and historical settings since that helps by allowing up to approach texts through a wide variety of lenses. Since there's no one way to analyse a text, so studying all of these new ideas certainly helped my class understand and become excited about putting something under scrutiny. As for lit, we're going to be studying Nineteen Eighty-Four, The Handmaid's Tale, The Bloody Chamber, Chronicle of a Death Foretold, Othello, and The World's Wife. Three of those texts will be used in the exam, and the other three in the the IOA.

- If you're going to do Law, you should also take a humanities. Whilst History seems like the obvious choice for this, don't bother doing it if you're not interested in History; the workload is insane, and I'm currently trying to revise for five different units lol. Philosophy, whilst initially demoralising, is actually really interesting. You find yourself slipping into a philosophical worldview at inconvenient times. I mean, did we really start out as tabula rasas, or have our lives always been predetermined??????

- Don't take SL Maths if you don't need it for University. But since you're thinking of going into design, keep it as it is in the meantime. If you're finding it too difficult, don't be ashamed to swap to Studies. I'd rather get shunned for taking a soft subject than get shunned for working the life and soul out of me and only scraping a 4 or 5 in SL. You learn quickly that you'll do anything for easy marks ...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your detailed answer, I've decided to take Maths SL for now and if it gets too hard to drop to Maths Studies.

The school I'm going to doesn't unfortunately offer philosophy (although that did always sound appealing) and I haven't done history as a GCSE so I'm a bit wary of taking it at a higher level... Also heard about the enormous workload- good luck

I'm leaning towards literature only because the books studied are ones I've wanted to study for a while.

Again, thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    so.. im starting IB on august and im still thinking about my sub. choices
    for now:
    HL: Biology, psychology and geography
    SL: Eng A L&L, Chi A L&L, Math SL (not studies)

im still indecisive about my future career path but im thinking about doing psych/geo in uni

1.can someone tell me whether doing a bilingual diploma helps for uni application? is it doable?
    2. are my HLs tough since theyre all memorization based subjects.
    3. i **suck** as maths so will SL be tough for me?

im aiming for UCL!! *thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that combination looks hard. I've heard that bilingual diplomas are a waste of time and you're better off going for language A + language B. And I found Math SL quite easy but if you don't need Math for what you want to study, you might as well take Studies.

ReputationRep:
    Could I do Geography, Music, Physics HL and English Lit, Maths, Spanish Ab Initio SL and have a decent chance to get into Cambridge (for instance) to do AMES (Asian and Middle Eastern Studies)? I do Japanese GCSE, but the sixth form I want to go to only does Japanese ab initio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravenclaw_)
    Could I do Geography, Music, Physics HL and English Lit, Maths, Spanish Ab Initio SL and have a decent chance to get into Cambridge (for instance) to do AMES (Asian and Middle Eastern Studies)? I do Japanese GCSE, but the sixth form I want to go to only does Japanese ab initio.
    Hi, for that aim I would advise doing history HL and English HL as they would both be the most similar subjects, and show good essay writing. Also, out of interest, are you sure you want to continue with AMES, just as it is a very narrow field to study about, however if that's your dream go for it

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.