Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdcry)
    so.. im starting IB on august and im still thinking about my sub. choices
    for now:
    HL: Biology, psychology and geography
    SL: Eng A L&L, Chi A L&L, Math SL (not studies)

im still indecisive about my future career path but im thinking about doing psych/geo in uni

1.can someone tell me whether doing a bilingual diploma helps for uni application? is it doable?
    2. are my HLs tough since theyre all memorization based subjects.
    3. i **suck** as maths so will SL be tough for me?

im aiming for UCL!! *thanks in advance!
    Hi, honestly I wouldn't bother doing a bilingual diploma, most universities in the Uk don't even recognise it! Your HL are fine, if you're good at memorisation and don't mind it, then you should find it really good! I have a friend who's doing those HLs and they are finding it fine, as (apparently) geography is one of the easiest HLs. For maths, I'd advise, start off at standard, and if you struggle at all drop down to studies. It's much better to get a 7 in studies than a 4 in standard!!!
    Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tammybee)
    Hi, for that aim I would advise doing history HL and English HL as they would both be the most similar subjects, and show good essay writing. Also, out of interest, are you sure you want to continue with AMES, just as it is a very narrow field to study about, however if that's your dream go for it
    I don't do history GCSE so can't do it HL. I'm not sure if I could handle HL English - I'm predicted an 8/9 in my GCSEs, but it's probably one of my weaker subjects. I thought if I did the IB I wouldn't have to do English at a really high level, but would still do enough essay writing for the uni s to like me - maybe this isn't the case ? Id like to do AMES as I like Japabese and want to be fluent + I think it's a unique selling point. I'm considering going into the diplomatic service, or doing a law conversion and be a solicitor. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well its not 100% certain yet whether I'll be studying these subjects at the following levels but here they are:
    Higher Level
    Maths - will be very difficult i know
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Standard Level
    English Lit & Lang
    Dutch- language B
    Economics

Feel free to give me tips and advice, many thanks

ReputationRep:
    So I'm new in IB, I'm gonna take

Hl:
    History
    English
    Psychology ? Geography ?

Sl:
    Biology
    Spanish
    Math Studies

I never took psychology or geography, could someone please tell me which one to choose and why? Do I need a lot of previous knowledge for any of them or is it like from the beginning? Also what do you think of my other subjects? Please give me advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edy739)
    So I'm new in IB, I'm gonna take

Hl:
    History
    English
    Psychology ? Geography ?

Sl:
    Biology
    Spanish
    Math Studies

I never took psychology or geography, could someone please tell me which one to choose and why? Do I need a lot of previous knowledge for any of them or is it like from the beginning? Also what do you think of my other subjects? Please give me advice.
    I think those are fine I personally suck at english and I heard history requires quite a bit of mugging but if you're planning on taking history go straight for the HL because from what I know, SL history is basically HL minus 1 topic or so, so it's really wasted effort to take it as an SL.Math studies on the other hand err... Well I don't know how proficient you are at math but from where I come from (not UK/US), math studies is like what we learn in 8th Grade/Secondary 2 which is REALLY easy like honestly a 7 in math studies is worth jack I would strongly recommend at least pushing that up to an SL math which is a kinda of mediocre to good level of difficulty that is more openly recognised for any degree you want to pursue. I know it may seem irrelevant but from what I heard q a lot of schools look at not just your HLs but your SLs too when considering you for a position so keep that in mind!!

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT TAKE IB FOR MATHS/SCIENCE courses

It kills

TAKE IB FOR ENGLISH, INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS, other BS subjects (any offence is not intended)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamyanP12000)
    Well its not 100% certain yet whether I'll be studying these subjects at the following levels but here they are:
    Higher Level
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Standard Level
    English Lit & Lang
    Dutch- language B
    Economics

MATE... consder your chemisty/physics options if youre really determined taking HL maths. v risky with 3 sciences

Why the IB life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimberry50)
    DO NOT TAKE IB FOR MATHS/SCIENCE courses

It kills

TAKE IB FOR ENGLISH, INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS, other BS subjects (any offence is not intended)
    Hi, I've just chosen my IB choices for next year (HL history, economics, french, SL maths,English,ESS). And I'm interested in studying international relations at LSE. Out of interest, what makes you say it is BS? Curious because obviously that's the degre of my choice. Also how do you think my subjects look for pursuing this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tammybee)
    Hi, I've just chosen my IB choices for next year (HL history, economics, french, SL maths,English,ESS). And I'm interested in studying international relations at LSE. Out of interest, what makes you say it is BS? Curious because obviously that's the degre of my choice. Also how do you think my subjects look for pursuing this?
    When I say BS, i dont mean it in a demeaning way. Rather with english, and politically related subjects, one can manipulate language in a way to support your point, whereas in the sciences, its obviously slightly challenging to argue an interpretation (Math laws, newton's theories, etc) :P (also im not saying that they are easy subjects either- speaking from a HL english and econ perspective)

Have you investigated LSE's course requirements yet? They would help define your option blocks, but from my perspective, your highers stand you in a good place when you compete at such a high ranked uni. Also UCL like languages so you'd probably have an offer there too if you applied with excellent grades.

Careful that you dont get into economics though, becasue UCL, LSE Warwick and oxbridge require HL maths, in addition to a number of modules at other places that dont explicitly require HL maths at point of entry.

ReputationRep:
    Not really sure how this works, but for IB I'm confused as to whether take:

HL: Chem, Physics/Bio, Eng Lit
    SL: Maths, Spanish Ab-intio/Italian A/Chinese B, Psych

I'm not sure whether to take physics or biology. For both subjects I'm predicted an A for my GCSE, however my physics teacher said that at IB I'm most likely going to get a 4 or 5 at the rate I'm going now. I haven't got a chance to really talk to my biology teacher but last time I talked to her she said she thinks I shouldn't have that much of a problem. It doesn't really matter which one I take since I'm pretty sure I want to do Chemistry when I'm older.

For languages, oh God. Well, my second language is Italian so I thought 'well, why not take Italian A so I can get a bilingual diploma?' but it is a lot harder than I thought it would be and I'm still waiting for the Italian tutor to get back to me. As for Chinese, my teacher said I could definitely get a 5, and if I try really hard maybe a 6. And the Spanish teacher said he thinks I won't have a problem getting a 6 (maybe 7) if I take Spanish Ab-initio.

Is it worth it to drop 10 years of Chinese in the interest of a better grade? Since 2 HL sciences will definitely be hard. I also have the option to take Lit & Performance in place of English Lit., and it counts as a Group 6 so it would be good to have that all around-ness, if that makes sense. But I'm horrible at the writing exam and honestly just thinking about the state of my Drama GCSE right now doesn't make me want to take it- but ughh I also like English Lit. and I have noooo clue what I want to do!!

ReputationRep:
    Higher Level
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Standard Level
    English Lit & Lang
    Dutch- language B
    Economics

Hi,
    I noticed a few people were warning you about your HL subjects so I thought I'd pitch in with my thoughts. I myself take Chem, Bio, and Econ HL, and I am finding it challenging and rewarding at the same time. The work load it heavy, but its IB and to be honest, what's the point of studying something that's easy?! If you're going to do the IB you might as well choose the subjects you know you're going to enjoy, because HL goes into quite a lot of detail.

In terms of your particular choices, I have a friend that takes the same HLs and he is finding it perfectly manageable (although it must be said that he is one of the most organised and efficient human beings I have ever met). Anyway, if you're committed and you're IGCSE/GCSE grades are good enough to take those subjects at HL I wouldn't see any reason not to. Just make sure you get your IAs done quickly, and stay on top of your work. I know that goes without saying, but the work can get out of hand very quickly.

Oh, and something to keep in mind is that if you already know what you want to study at uni you should look at their subject requirements.

Best of luck with all your choices!

ReputationRep:
    Higher Level
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Standard Level
    English Lit & Lang
    Dutch- language B
    Economics

I personally love HL Maths and Physics. I think they are awesome subjects and I don't regret choosing them. The best tip is to probably keep working hard even if it seems impossible. Don't get discouraged if you get low grades to start with; the harder you work the more progress you're going to make. Lastly, don't worry if you don't to that great in HL Maths - according to UCAS a 5 in HL Maths is the same as an A* at A-Level. Just do your best.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm currently selecting subjects and I submitted mine last week -- they were:
    1. English A HL
    2. Spanish Ab Initio
    3. Economics HL
    4. Chemistry HL
    5. Math HL
    6. Music SL

I was (and still am) apprehensive about doing Music since I'm doing it for my IGCSEs and its one of my more uncomfortable subjects. However, I was informed by my coordinator that my school is unable to provide Chemistry for Group 4 due to lack of numbers (everyone's doing it for Group 6). Therefore I am left with a few options
    - Choosing Bio SL and Music SL
    - Choosing ESS SL and Music SL
    - Choosing Physics SL and Music SL
    - Choosing ESS SL and Chem HL
    - Choosing Bio SL and Chem HL

I'm doing 4 HLs to see which one suits me best since I'm still undecided between English Lit HL and Chem HL and then I'll drop one. Personally, I don't really enjoy Biology or Physics that much. My grades aren't terrible at IGCSEs but personally they're not subjects I like studying or revising for. Chemistry is my favourite science and I really want to do it. Some people have suggested choosing ESS SL and Chem HL but I've read that ESS is a soft subject. If I do decide to choose ESS, will it affect my university applications? Also, in the future if I drop Chem HL (then my two options are ESS SL and Chem SL), would it be considered "not challenging myself", thereby affecting my uni applications?
    I'm from Vietnam and some of my teachers have suggested doing the billingual diploma. Is it extra workload? Are there major benefits of doing the billingual diploma?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Currently doing IGCSES:
    English Lang, English Lit, Chinese First Language, Economics, Extended Maths (already did it and got 98%), Additional Maths, Triple Award science (bio, chem, phys). All predicted A*s.

Also did half of the Computer Science and History courses but had to drop them when I changed schools midway through the year. Also predicted A*s. So I do have a background in those 2 subjects.

I love all of my subjects and do well in them, so it's difficult when people ask me what my interests are and what I want to do in the future. But if I had to narrow it down to a few fields: science/engineering/CS/econ/medicine.

'Draft' IB subject choices: HL: Maths, chem, phys, econ (3 of the 4) SL: Chinese B/A2, English L&L, Maths if I don't take it at HL/one of the above unchosen subjects/CS.

Advice? What combination would make more sense? I'd love to take 4 HLs but I don't think I can manage.

Another question: some schools sell bilingual diplomas really hard. Is it worth taking Chinese at A2 level just to get one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HiBear)
    Here is a thread to ask what kind of subjects you should take.

Universities do have requirements, and if you know what you would like to study in uni it's best to check several university websites to see whether or not a specific subject is required.

Currently there is only a breakdown for Medicine universities, but you can easily go onto UCAS and check the requirements.

Medicine Requirements
    If i want to go to a particular university like let's say PENN state or yale or MIT or any other university, how can i know what scores in ib it needs.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by John.Chunduru)
    If i want to go to a particular university like let's say PENN state or yale or MIT or any other university, how can i know what scores in ib it needs.
    They care more about GPA then your IBs

Choose subjects you'll do well in and make sure you get good scores in SAT/ACT and SAT 2s

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My last date to decide is today.can you please tell me whether or not i can take ib or a levels
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    My last date to decide is today.can you please tell me whether or not i can take ib or a levels
    You can take either, US unis don't care

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    You can take either, US unis don't care

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i thought ib was more recognized . Also I am aiming for a top universityand i want to pursue any two of these with one of them as a major and the other one as a minor:
    economics
    business-finance
    business-business analytics
    business-business management
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    i thought ib was more recognized . Also I am aiming for a top universityand i want to pursue any two of these with one of them as a major and the other one as a minor:
    economics
    business-finance
    business-business analytics
    business-business management
    Tbh if you get good grades both are ok...

Econ, Maths, and an essay subject at HL may be best for econ majors. For business anything goes. Any HL subjects as long as you do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.