Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Tbh if you get good grades both are ok...

Econ, Maths, and an essay subject at HL may be best for econ majors. For business anything goes. Any HL subjects as long as you do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i really love to do chemistry and have already thought abt doing chemistry as my subject sat and advanced placement.
    if i take ib , i want to take the following subjects:
    CHEMISTRY HL
    ECONOMICS HL
    BUSINESS HL
    ENGLISH SL (cause im not that good at english)
    MATH SL/HL(HL maybe)
    FRENCH B

They say to take A levels if your memory is pretty good.I'm doing pretty fine in my subjects in igcse but can you guide me about what routine i might have to abide by and a view of how my day is going to be in general

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashaaaness)
    Hey!

Okay so I basically need some help.

I'm planning to pursue either vet med/med/pharmacy (but more likely pharmacy) and I picked these IB subjects:

HL
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

SL
    Spanish ab initio
    English A1
    History

BUT, I recently got my IGCSE results - I only got an A (ie not A*) for Maths and a really horrible grade for Additional Maths :p: and my school is now recommending that I drop Maths HL and take up either English or History.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it advisable to drop Maths HL despite wanting to pursue the sciences at university? Will this make me a little bit more disadvantaged than other applicants applying for the same courses? I know Maths HL is not required as I've got both Biology and Chem at HL but.. is it preferred?

I COULD try my best for Maths HL - that is, work my butt off for it but I'd just like to hear everybody's opinion on whether it's worth it, and whether I even need it!

2. Also, IF I do drop Maths HL, which HL should I take up, English A1 or History? I love both equally, and scored A*s for English First Language, English Literature and History at IGCSE and I'm pretty much torn between the two. So I WOULD like to pick the one I love - but I love both so uhhh, yeah I kinda need help :p:.

Can anyone out there tell me which HL they felt was better for them & why, whether the workload will be too much if I were to take one instead of the other..etc?

It'd be much appreciated, thanks!
    Take A-levels. You're clearly not good at everything and you need to make 40 points at least to get into the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HiBear)
    Here is a thread to ask what kind of subjects you should take.

Universities do have requirements, and if you know what you would like to study in uni it's best to check several university websites to see whether or not a specific subject is required.

Currently there is only a breakdown for Medicine universities, but you can easily go onto UCAS and check the requirements.

Medicine Requirements
    I want to pursue an undergrad in business and economics ,and my dream is to get to harvard.also I'm thinking of doing my ib,and i need to know what subjects to choose to suffice the requirements to be able to get there .thanks

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, I'm studying the IB in england, but i am not sure if my higher are useful, and will help me in the future
    I don't know what i want to do, but think I'm interested in the government, and languages, although not sure
    My choices currently are : HL French B, Spanish B, History
    SL English Lit, Maths studies, DT

Is having two language Bs at higher pointless? They are my best subjects and i really enjoy them, but am wondering if something like philosophy or psychology would be more useful
    Thanks XD

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    So I'm stuck with choosing IB subjects for next school year and I really can't decide. Please help:adore:

The subjects I am sure I will take are:
    Math HL, Econ HL, Chem SL, and Chinese B SL.

Now the part I'm all stressed out about is that I can't choose between Visual Arts, History and English A.
    I only have two more subjects free and I have to take English A because I need another language.
    But I really don't know whether I should take Art or History. I am well-rounded but not to a terrific extent. I don't feel extreme love or hate for any subject except statistics. I'm just okay at everything(that's my problem).
    I am not sure of what major I want to apply for college with. I want to do something related to Education or Design, but none of the subjects are intriguing enough for me to delve in or even become really good at. I get 6 or 7 out of 7 in almost every class(our school is transitioning to the MYP now), and I want to keep that up for IB also. I know that IB is hard so I am looking for subjects that helps me get good grades, and especially English A is a stretch for me so I'm very worried that I might fail to choose the wrong subjects.
    I am sort of artistic(I sing at a school band and have taken graphic design class for two years it's pretty fun and music is my life and I love graphic design), but at the same time I want to take History HL because then I would learn about my country's heritage more(I'm from Korea and only History HL includes the history of East Asia during the 1800s) and our History teacher is an awesome storyteller, teacher, and person. I love listening to him talk. He such a good talker lol
    The last time I asked an expert, he told me to take English A HL, Econ HL, and Math HL with History, Chem, Chinese B, as that is the most suitable way to get into a good school's economics major.(I won't apply for Economics tho)

Any suggestions or comments? Just anything would be helpful at this point:cry::cry::cry2::cry2:
    How was your experience taking Visual Arts? or History? I know it's hard to get a 7 in both subjects, but how hard is it? Is 6 a reachable goal?
    I pretty much suck at time management....do they consume a lot of time compared to other subjects? Which one is comparably better to take?

ReputationRep:
    blueprintkyk

hey Im taking both history HL and music HL (but I have a number of classmates studying VA so I know what it's like..). tbh you should figure out what you want to study in college.. If it's something related to design, why not take design technology rather than Chemistry SL (replace the science subject) or arts/history (The additional subject/group 6) just something to think about.

Tbh, I scored 7 in MYP in every subject except for science and PE (both 6). However, you probably should expect that it's harder to get 7s compared to MYP, especially if you choose difficult subjects.. In my opinion, history is definitely harder than Visual Arts. There's a lot to do in Visual Arts, the comparative study, many drawings (depends on school~ a bit different in terms of the balance)... but at least there's no external papers for VA. If you're a good artist and are going to study something related to the Arts/design, i think you should really take visual arts.

I personally know a lot about history. While it might seem very interesting (tbh if you don't found it interesting, there's absolutely no point to study this). Over the years, it has been harder to score high in history compared to Visual Arts. It's mainly because of the 3 external papers for history. They are extremely difficult, and it's not just about studying, but you have to excellent time management skills/fast-writing skills/good evaluation/analysis skills in order to do well.

In terms oF timE SPent, yoU need a lot oF TImE fOr bOTh visuAL arts and history. You spenD wAy mOre TIME Drawing for Visual Arts and moStly stUdying for HIstorY (memOrIze sTUff) [sorry for the caps idk whaT HappenEd with my kEyboaRd lol)

First make sure what you want to do first. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiehoughten1)
    hey guys, I'm studying the IB in england, but i am not sure if my higher are useful, and will help me in the future
    I don't know what i want to do, but think I'm interested in the government, and languages, although not sure
    My choices currently are : HL French B, Spanish B, History
    SL English Lit, Maths studies, DT

Is having two language Bs at higher pointless? They are my best subjects and i really enjoy them, but am wondering if something like philosophy or psychology would be more useful
    Thanks XD

I never know you can take two language Bs. I thought it always has to be one language A and one language B (can you even take 3 language courses :O ) Well I take two language A courses soo.... Even if it's allowed, two language Bs is really useless... because they are super easy... Also, math studies is generally considered to be an easy subject (DT is also not a particularly difficult subject compared to physics/history).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John.Chunduru)
    I want to pursue an undergrad in business and economics ,and my dream is to get to harvard.also I'm thinking of doing my ib,and i need to know what subjects to choose to suffice the requirements to be able to get there .thanks
    Check the university websites, but generally for economics, you need Maths HL [math is even more important then taking economics, but it's helpful to take economics too]. language courses won't really matter for economics mmm. Less restrictions for business courses.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on taking Music, Latin and Philosophy higher and English, Maths and Chemistry standard. Quite a lot of people think this will be extremely hard... (at least 5 people have told me I have a death wish xD) but are my highers really hard, or is it just because people in my year find those subjects hard now? I'm definitely sticking with music higher but not certain about the other two - still considering English higher instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetcutiepie)
    I never know you can take two language Bs. I thought it always has to be one language A and one language B (can you even take 3 language courses :O ) Well I take two language A courses soo.... Even if it's allowed, two language Bs is really useless... because they are super easy... Also, math studies is generally considered to be an easy subject (DT is also not a particularly difficult subject compared to physics/history).
    You need to take two languages in order to do a language at uni. And HL Language Bs are not easy, they are a step-up to SL and are designed to be a pre-university qualification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Violetmoon)
    I'm planning on taking Music, Latin and Philosophy higher and English, Maths and Chemistry standard. Quite a lot of people think this will be extremely hard... (at least 5 people have told me I have a death wish xD) but are my highers really hard, or is it just because people in my year find those subjects hard now? I'm definitely sticking with music higher but not certain about the other two - still considering English higher instead.
    A person I know takes SL Philosophy and is finding it very easy. Don't know about HL, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tim_72)
    You need to take two languages in order to do a language at uni. And HL Language Bs are not easy, they are a step-up to SL and are designed to be a pre-university qualification.
    I personally take two language As and I know it's a requirement for university. I was replying to someone else who suggested they are taking THREE subjects with two langauge B and language A, which is not something I have heard of. I know some language B might not be easy, but honestly compared to language A, there's a difference, at least for some languages like English and Chinese.
    Language B SL aren't even permitted at my school because they are simply too easy. Many universities won't even consider that, well depending on what subjects you are taking.. just for example: taking language B chinese literally got a rejection from LSE just because it's Language B. I am only questioning the person because that person claims to be taking two language Bs and language A..

ReputationRep:
    I personally take two language As and I know it's a requirement for university. I was replying to someone else who suggested they are taking THREE subjects with two langauge B and language A, which is not something I have heard of. I know some language B might not be easy, but honestly compared to language A, there's a difference, at least for some languages like English and Chinese.
    Language B SL aren't even permitted at my school because they are simply too easy. Many universities won't even consider that, well depending on what subjects you are taking.. just for example: taking language B chinese literally got a rejection from LSE just because it's Language B. I am only questioning the person because that person claims to be taking two language Bs and language A..
    Really? My school is cancelling SL because too few people take them, almost everybody takes ab initio! And btw I take two language B SL (one of them at ab initio) and one language A (English). you are allowed to take a second language B instead of an arts course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tim_72)
    Really? My school is cancelling SL because too few people take them, almost everybody takes ab initio! And btw I take two language B SL (one of them at ab initio) and one language A (English). you are allowed to take a second language B instead of an arts course.
    probably because my school doesn't allow two language Bs. that's why i felt confused.. it makes sense now.. seems like my school feels that two language Bs compared to Group 3/Group 4 subject (as replacement for group 6 if you're not taking it) doesn't have a "good" impression.

ReputationRep:
    probably because my school doesn't allow two language Bs. that's why i felt confused.. it makes sense now.. seems like my school feels that two language Bs compared to Group 3/Group 4 subject (as replacement for group 6 if you're not taking it) doesn't have a "good" impression.
    yeah, I see where they're coming from, but on the other hand your SLs don't matter too much. I took an ab initio language in addition to another SL language to familiarise myself with it, which can come in handy. I think as long as you have good higher courses your standards don't make much of a difference, as long as you enjoy them.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I've been taking maths standard level for the last 6 months and on tests have gotten 4's,5's and 6's. However on our mock exam I barely achieved a 3.

At Uni I want to study Law, and the only requirement I have seen is HL6 in English and a 4 in a science or maths SL. I fulfill those requirements therefore I was wondering if I should drop to studies? I have emailed the universities I want to attend (Edinburgh and Glasgow) and they said it would not be a problem or affect my admission. (For reference I take SL; Biology, Maths SL, Spanish B and HL; English A Literature, History and Norwegian A Literature)

Moreover, I have been doing quite badly in Biology SL and was thinking that if I moved to studies I would have more time for that subject, and neglect it less?

My main question is if I should drop and also if I do how certain is it that my grades would improve?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antoniamaria8)
    Hey!
    I've been taking maths standard level for the last 6 months and on tests have gotten 4's,5's and 6's. However on our mock exam I barely achieved a 3.

At Uni I want to study Law, and the only requirement I have seen is HL6 in English and a 4 in a science or maths SL. I fulfill those requirements therefore I was wondering if I should drop to studies? I have emailed the universities I want to attend (Edinburgh and Glasgow) and they said it would not be a problem or affect my admission. (For reference I take SL; Biology, Maths SL, Spanish B and HL; English A Literature, History and Norwegian A Literature)

Moreover, I have been doing quite badly in Biology SL and was thinking that if I moved to studies I would have more time for that subject, and neglect it less?

My main question is if I should drop and also if I do how certain is it that my grades would improve?

Thank you!
    I personally don't do SL or Studies, but from what I can tell the two seem to focus on different things. I heard from a teacher that Studies is a more statistics based course, so there won't be as much overlap between SL and Studies as there is between SL and HL. This means there might be topics that you have not covered, so you might have to study a little bit.
    There is surely a big difference in difficulty - my school encourages everybody who's not taking HL to do Studies, so there must be a point in doing that. I would say speak to your school and see what they say at this time of year. You will be starting (if you haven't already) your EE which will impact your time management schedule. It's all a matter of how much work you're willing to put in, I think. Hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    hey i am a gcse student about to choose my ib choices and i was wondering if someone could give me advice on whether to do HL maths or HL psychology. i am hoping to go to the usa for university and eventually veterinary school and have been told maths looks more impressive (?). i am decent in the subject and would be aiming for a 7 which i already know will be a lot of work but if i'm coming in with a good knowledge of maths, will i survive?? on the other hand, psychology is more interesting to me and i've heard it's an easier 7 BUT i despise writing essays and i prefer the biology side to it rather than the humanity side. is it more one way or the other?? if someone could tell me what the work load of both of these are and which one i am more likely to survive would be grateful x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia-street)
    hey i am a gcse student about to choose my ib choices and i was wondering if someone could give me advice on whether to do HL maths or HL psychology. i am hoping to go to the usa for university and eventually veterinary school and have been told maths looks more impressive (?). i am decent in the subject and would be aiming for a 7 which i already know will be a lot of work but if i'm coming in with a good knowledge of maths, will i survive?? on the other hand, psychology is more interesting to me and i've heard it's an easier 7 BUT i despise writing essays and i prefer the biology side to it rather than the humanity side. is it more one way or the other?? if someone could tell me what the work load of both of these are and which one i am more likely to survive would be grateful x
    Hey!
    My friend also wants to be a vet, and she does HL Bio, Chem and Psych She isn't so good at maths though, so I'm not sure if this is a good comparison...

Honestly, I'd say just pick whatever you feel more comfortable with (and can score better with ), as long as you make sure to nail your sciences.
    I take HL Maths, and I'm half decent at maths, so I think you'll be alright if you do take it - we do go through the course quite quickly though, so you have to make sure you're able to stay on top of things (don't be like me, I'm currently 4 chapters behind oops but that's just to do with my poor time management skills). Maybe flip through the textbook and take a look at the things we study over the course too to see if you're okay with the content.

Another thing you might want to consider are your teachers for the subject, because they're equally as important too. My aforementioned friend that took psych likes the subject, but she was unfortunate enough to get a teacher that, well, didn't teach. Or at least doesn't do such a good job of it. But I guess she's managing x) I was fortunate enough to get a decent teacher for HL Maths which was great for me. It might be a good idea to ask several of your seniors for some advice too

Hope I helped, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia-street)
    I started with both maths HL and biology HL, so I have a bit of insight into the difference between the two and what to do with it. Honestly, you sound like me. I hated writing the Psychology essays, so I eventually dropped it. If you hate essays, you will probably hate IB psych (I know paper 1&2 and essay based and I think paper 3 might be too). It's a bit on the biological side since the core includes the biological and cognitive level of analysis, but the way it's taught isn't biological. There's very little emphasis on the actual biological processes and more on the studies and how it ties into the question. It does make it an easy 7, but if you'll hate doing it then that 7 is actually pretty hard since you won't want to work for it.

I personally don't get the bad reputation that maths HL gets. I take it and don't have too much issue with it. But if you NEED a 7, I would say stay away from it. Maths HL is not a class that you can ever guarantee a 7 in, unlike IB psych. A 6? That's something that you can guarantee, but not a 7. But then again, I would also stay away from it if you aren't particularly good at math. But that doesn't mean grades, you could've gotten top marks in other classes. HL takes a certain level of problem solving and thinking on the spot which some people find difficult, and that's what separates the 4/5s form the 6/7s. If you can't solve a problem if you've never been taught it before don't take maths HL. You'll regret it.

So if you can, I'd suggest doing what I did. Take both psych and maths HL for the first month or so and then drop whichever one you don't fit with. If you do take maths, just remember that it's a lot of work (almost daily for me tbh)

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.