Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetcutiepie)
    probably because my school doesn't allow two language Bs. that's why i felt confused.. it makes sense now.. seems like my school feels that two language Bs compared to Group 3/Group 4 subject (as replacement for group 6 if you're not taking it) doesn't have a "good" impression.
    I do two language Bs at higher level, and have got an offer to study french and persian at cambridge, so i think it is definitely good enough

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am starting the IB in September and I am still unsure about whether I should take 4 HL's or not. I want to be a doctor so idk whether it would give me an edge into getting in to medicine.

My options are either:
    HL - Bio, Chem, Maths, Psychology
    SL - Eng Lit and Lang (i have to do both in one course) and French

or
    HL- Bio, Chem, Maths
    SL- Eng Lit and Lang, French, Psychology.

I was wondering what people who are doing the IB currently or have completed the IB would recommend https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...lies/smile.png
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by filearns)
    Hi i am starting the IB in September and I am still unsure about whether I should take 4 HL's or not. I want to be a doctor so idk whether it would give me an edge into getting in to medicine.

My options are either:
    HL - Bio, Chem, Maths, Psychology
    SL - Eng Lit and Lang (i have to do both in one course) and French

or
    HL- Bio, Chem, Maths
    SL- Eng Lit and Lang, French, Psychology.

I was wondering what people who are doing the IB currently or have completed the IB would recommend https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...lies/smile.png
    4 HLs won't give you an edge. Most if not all medical schools give offers that are dependent on 3 HLs instead if 4. Indeed the IBO doesn't recommend any student doing 4 HLs, and the medical schools recognise that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey Everyone,
    So I have decided on some subjects that I want to do, but the last two I am not too sure about. The school that I want to go to next year has a bad selection of Arts, so I am going to pick a second language or a second Humanity. I just don't know what ones to choose!

So my definite subjects are; (I am probably picking 4 HL and 2 SL subjects because I really enjoy learning)
    HL: English Lit,
    SL: Design and Technology, Maths.

For Languages, my choices are;
    French, German, Italian ab initio, Mandarin ab initio (I am learning both French and German for GCSE)
    For Humanities, my choices are;
    Economics, Philosophy, Psychology, Politics, Business Management, World Religions (I learn History for GCSE but I dislike the course for IB)

I would love to hear about how well you did in the subject, whether it was popular at your school, your final grade (if you don't mind sharing, and have finished the course) and how you find/found it?
    I love learning languages and I love essay subjects. If the future, I am looking to study Law or Politics, alongside a language.

Please help me choose! I know I am super indecisive, but I literally know no one who is doing the IB and I need advice.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, i am planning on studying medicine and as of rn i think i am settled on doing the following when i start the IB next term:

HL: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology
    SL: English Lit & Lang, Maths, French

just wondering if anyone will know if these are good choices for medicine and if the workload is okay with these option choices?

merci

ReputationRep:
    Hi I also would like to study medicine in the future, but would like to keep my options open... Would this combination be too hard/demanding? (I used to be in MYP in grade 9 but this year (gr10) I had to move to the french system, and now I'm moving to IB again, and I have nooo idea how to choose right...)
    This is my combination so far:

HL: Math, Chem, Bio
    SL: History, French A, English LangLit

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    So i am gonna study IB this year but i am struggling to choose my maths lesson's level.
    Maths has always been my least favourite lesson so i won't choose HL but i heard that there is a lesson called math studies which is lower than standart level. My teacher doesn't prefer me to choose math studies because she said universities usually don't accept it much. But i feel like if i choose standart level i'll risk my İB diploma grade so what should i do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esen01k)
    Hi everyone!
    So i am gonna study IB this year but i am struggling to choose my maths lesson's level.
    Maths has always been my least favourite lesson so i won't choose HL but i heard that there is a lesson called math studies which is lower than standart level. My teacher doesn't prefer me to choose math studies because she said universities usually don't accept it much. But i feel like if i choose standart level i'll risk my İB diploma grade so what should i do?
    I'd suggest you do a little bit of research on any courses you think you might pursue in the future, and check on their subject requirements. If they specify Maths SL and you really want to pursue that course, then go for SL and work hard! But if not, and you feel strongly that you will not cope well with SL, opt for maths studies

Alternatively, you can choose to take Maths SL for now and drop down to studies if you find it too hard. (I don't know if your school will allow that, but my school does, so maybe it's a plausible option) Dropping down is much easier than going from studies to SL because you might have to catch up on content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackomarie)
    Hi I also would like to study medicine in the future, but would like to keep my options open... Would this combination be too hard/demanding? (I used to be in MYP in grade 9 but this year (gr10) I had to move to the french system, and now I'm moving to IB again, and I have nooo idea how to choose right...)

This looks good! Math HL is very demanding, but it's not really super hard to get a 7. Chem and bio are both easy to get 7s (for someone who wants to study medicine, I believe).

Are you going to have two lang As, or is English a language B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackomarie)

I did HL Bio and Chem and I found the syllabus for Bio very large and lots of detail. The Chem one was much shorter and my class was done come Christmas of year 13. I found that my teachers didn't give much homework for these subjects but I had to revise a lot for Bio because of the vast amount of content in the syllabus. I am sure you will be capable if you work hard. However, to get a 7 in HL Bio is very difficult and requires time and effort, as you need to learnt the information to sit the exam, whilst Chem you can use prior knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    I want to study medicine in the USA but I will apply in the UK as well

USA Unis I will apply:
    Georgetown
    Columbia
    NYU
    Stanford
    John Hopkins
    UC Berkeley
    UCLA
    USC

UK unis:
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Imperial
    St. Andrews

My courses are
    IB BIOLOGY HL
    IB CHEM HL
    IB LANG & LIT HL

IB PSYCHOLOGY OR ENVIROMENTAL SCIENCE SL
    IB MATH SL
    IB SPANISH SL

what should i choose? psychology or enviromental science?
    I want to study medicine and get to a top university
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sasagiaraaa)
    I want to study medicine in the USA but I will apply in the UK as well

USA Unis I will apply:
    Georgetown
    Columbia
    NYU
    Stanford
    John Hopkins
    UC Berkeley
    UCLA
    USC

UK unis:
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Imperial
    St. Andrews

My courses are
    IB BIOLOGY HL
    IB CHEM HL
    IB LANG & LIT HL

IB PSYCHOLOGY OR ENVIROMENTAL SCIENCE SL
    IB MATH SL
    IB SPANISH SL

what should i choose? psychology or enviromental science?
    I want to study medicine and get to a top university
    You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge in the same year. Nor can you do medicine in the US without a degree, which i assume you don't have.

You need to do more research. A lot more!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have several interest ( MD and Languages )which might ruin everything as I don't know what to pick for IB.
    So far I can do ANYTHING except Spanish/Japenese language and literature.
    I am fluent in 3 different languages (French, Hebrew, and English) And teachers have previously recommended that I should take their language in HL, but I don't think it possible.
    I am ok with maths, meaning I am a candidate for HL since I did pre cal in 9th grade. And I've taken Advanced Physics which means I could get into physics.
    But there is more.... I love music, and the requirement for HL music is a grade 5 in piano, which I've achieved a long time ago and finished my Grade 8 exam. History is also a passion of mine and a teacher let me know HL would be easy for me
    I want to take Bio HL, because I also did advanced with it too.
    Everything is HL and I am NOT allowed to do this.
    That means there are overall there are EIGHT classes I am thinking of doing, but I am only allowed to do SIX.
    I don't know what to choose and if I can do 3 languages A. Shouldn't there be one language B?
    And is math HL even worth it? Is HL physics worth the effort? Does HL music help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roniam)
    Hi,
    I have several interest ( MD and Languages )which might ruin everything as I don't know what to pick for IB.
    So far I can do ANYTHING except Spanish/Japenese language and literature.
    I am fluent in 3 different languages (French, Hebrew, and English) And teachers have previously recommended that I should take their language in HL, but I don't think it possible.
    I am ok with maths, meaning I am a candidate for HL since I did pre cal in 9th grade. And I've taken Advanced Physics which means I could get into physics.
    But there is more.... I love music, and the requirement for HL music is a grade 5 in piano, which I've achieved a long time ago and finished my Grade 8 exam. History is also a passion of mine and a teacher let me know HL would be easy for me
    I want to take Bio HL, because I also did advanced with it too.
    Everything is HL and I am NOT allowed to do this.
    That means there are overall there are EIGHT classes I am thinking of doing, but I am only allowed to do SIX.
    I don't know what to choose and if I can do 3 languages A. Shouldn't there be one language B?
    And is math HL even worth it? Is HL physics worth the effort? Does HL music help?
    You can pick from a range of subjects, and everyone faces the same situation. Think about what you want to do in university, and check the entry requirements to see if the unis have any preference. You need to take the subjects that are required, plus those that are strongly prefered. The rest you can pick according to your interests. For example, if you want to take medicine, Bio HL and Chem HL are pretty much necessary even when the university allows one of them in SL. And if you take two natural sciences, you won't have a arts subject. If music is your passion but you aren't going to apply for a course related to it, then just keep it as a hobby and don't waste a precious choice! (My school requires much more than passing Grade 5 and rightfully so.)

Fluency in languages is a basic requirement for lang&it subjects but it doesn't make them easier, especially if you take them in HL and focus more on lit. Pick the one you would like to use a lot (usually a mother tongue you are proud of) for lang&lit, and for language B, pick one you like, but don't want to use for every moment of the day. (My school allows two lang&lit subjects besides the common A+B combination, maybe check with your school?) If you want to study a third language subject, your school probably offers AB initio subjects, which are for beginners. Three languages sounds good for a language course in university.

And to answer your questions: maths HL is hard for many people, history HL is easy as long as you have a good memory, and physics HL is easy for all my friends who take it. HL music only helps when it contributes to the uni application. History HL is also good exercise for writing essays (read: communication skills).

That being said, take the subjects you love (which partially equals the subjects for the undergrad course you want to do), and enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    Should I...

... continue pursuing the full diploma despite a grade 2 in maths
    ... or drop maths and pursue 5 certificates with grades ranging between 5 and 7?

Any help is appreciated😅

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linna)
    Should I...

... continue pursuing the full diploma despite a grade 2 in maths
    ... or drop maths and pursue 5 certificates with grades ranging between 5 and 7?

Any help is appreciated😅
    Hi,
    I will be honest with you, I don't know a thing about the situation you are in. But, I can give you my opinion. Math is a core subject, and an important one at that. Although you have a grade 2 in maths, you can always try to improve your grade. Have you heard of Khan academy? They teach almost everything. Or, if you have a curriculum list maybe look into what you will be doing and study and learn about it before the rest of the class does, so you would be prepared.
    But, I am not saying that the second option isn't valid. You could pursue 5 certificates, I know some people who did something like that. The thing is, albeit it might sound easier, you won't have math as one of your certificates. Depending on what you're planning to do you can make the decision.
    For example, if you're planning to do anything that's about science you would need math. But if you have a passion or something you would like to pursue which doesn't require maths, I would say you should go ahead with the second option and make your life easier.
    But really, do what you feel best!
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roniam)
    Hi,
    I will be honest with you, I don't know a thing about the situation you are in. But, I can give you my opinion. Math is a core subject, and an important one at that. Although you have a grade 2 in maths, you can always try to improve your grade. Have you heard of Khan academy? They teach almost everything. Or, if you have a curriculum list maybe look into what you will be doing and study and learn about it before the rest of the class does, so you would be prepared.
    But, I am not saying that the second option isn't valid. You could pursue 5 certificates, I know some people who did something like that. The thing is, albeit it might sound easier, you won't have math as one of your certificates. Depending on what you're planning to do you can make the decision.
    For example, if you're planning to do anything that's about science you would need math. But if you have a passion or something you would like to pursue which doesn't require maths, I would say you should go ahead with the second option and make your life easier.
    But really, do what you feel best!
    Hope this helps
    First of all, thank you for taking the time to answer my question! Feels reeeally good to not be all alone in the decision-making process

The thing is, I am a student in a country other than the UK and I will obtain a “proper” graduation certificate that includes maths (and a respectable grade in it, but the maths is easier than IB maths). The IB is only an additional qualification for me that I chose to do for the academic challenge.
    Question is, should I take studying time away from other subjects just to achieve a 2 or 3 in IB maths SL? Or would it be better to drop maths and walk away with 5 pretty good certificates? I‘m torn...

What do you think universities and employers value higher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sailin)
    This looks good! Math HL is very demanding, but it's not really super hard to get a 7. Chem and bio are both easy to get 7s (for someone who wants to study medicine, I believe).

Are you going to have two lang As, or is English a language B?
    Hey! Thank you so much for responding and your advice!! I'm nearly finished the first trimester and already thinking about dropping to SL maths, although I have a very good math teacher... And yes, I have two lang As as I'm trying to get a bilingual diploma

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,

I am due to start the IB course next school year and am thus in the process of choosing my options. I am aiming to study law at university in the UK/US.

My current picks are:

History HL
    Maths HL
    German A Lit HL
    English A Lit SL
    Physics SL
    French B / Eco / Psych SL

I am deciding on what my third SL is going to be. I have read that, to study Law, there are no set subject requirements, but I don't know if a third language is too much, nor how hard Economics or Psychology are.

I am hoping for you to give me some advice if my current subject combination is suitable, and which subject I should pick.
    Any help will be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, Maths hL,i f youre not naturally made for it, will be so time consuming , you might aswell drop it, because yourperformance in other subjects will suffer from how little time youll have left for them. i chose hl at the start of l6 and i did ok, cz iworked my butt off for it, but i therefore did worse in all my other subjects than i couldve done. so what i did is, i then retook l6, and got 7 in most of my subjects and a 7 at sl maths, therefore my overall points had increased. so if your specific course doesnt require maths hl, rather try getting a seven in sl but also performing really well in your other subjects, rather than doing hl but overall performing worse in total points.. for me this compromise was very beneficial.

(Original post by tashaaaness)
    Hey!

Okay so I basically need some help.

I'm planning to pursue either vet med/med/pharmacy (but more likely pharmacy) and I picked these IB subjects:

HL
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

SL
    Spanish ab initio
    English A1
    History

BUT, I recently got my IGCSE results - I only got an A (ie not A*) for Maths and a really horrible grade for Additional Maths :p: and my school is now recommending that I drop Maths HL and take up either English or History.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it advisable to drop Maths HL despite wanting to pursue the sciences at university? Will this make me a little bit more disadvantaged than other applicants applying for the same courses? I know Maths HL is not required as I've got both Biology and Chem at HL but.. is it preferred?

I COULD try my best for Maths HL - that is, work my butt off for it but I'd just like to hear everybody's opinion on whether it's worth it, and whether I even need it!

2. Also, IF I do drop Maths HL, which HL should I take up, English A1 or History? I love both equally, and scored A*s for English First Language, English Literature and History at IGCSE and I'm pretty much torn between the two. So I WOULD like to pick the one I love - but I love both so uhhh, yeah I kinda need help :p:.

Can anyone out there tell me which HL they felt was better for them & why, whether the workload will be too much if I were to take one instead of the other..etc?

It'd be much appreciated, thanks!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.