Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    go for studies, SL brought down my mark big time...

ReputationRep:
    Hey :p:

I need some help :confused:
    Next week am gonna start the IB and i was wondering which subjects to choose.
    I've studied till year 9 in spanish, so i was thinking about getting a bilingual diploma.
    I am fluent in Spanish, French and English, even thought my mother tongue is none of them :p: (because im moroccan but i grew up in Spain). I'm not good speeling french but I speak like a native french.

I was thinking about:

1 : English ¿HL or SL?
    2: French SL or Spanish self taught
    3: Geography ¿HL or SL?
    4: Biology SL
    5: Math HL
    6: Psychology SL

I still don't really know what I wanna do in uni, but i was thinking about doing business, so i'd like to take general subjets.
    Is it hard to have a self taught subject?
    To get a bilingual diploma, can I just write my EE in spanish?
    Is psychology a good IB subject?

Thanks !
    BTW im an international student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sara236)
    Hey :p:

I need some help :confused:
    Next week am gonna start the IB and i was wondering which subjects to choose.
    I've studied till year 9 in spanish, so i was thinking about getting a bilingual diploma.
    I am fluent in Spanish, French and English, even thought my mother tongue is none of them :p: (because im moroccan but i grew up in Spain). I'm not good speeling french but I speak like a native french.

I was thinking about:

1 : English ¿HL or SL?
    2: French SL or Spanish self taught
    3: Geography ¿HL or SL?
    4: Biology SL
    5: Math HL
    6: Psychology SL

I still don't really know why I wanna do in uni, but i was thinking about doing business, so i'd like to take general subjets.
    Is it hard to have a self taught subject?
    To get a bilingual diploma, can I just write my EE in spanish?
    Is psychology a good IB subject?

Thanks !
    BTW im an international student.
    Since you're looking at doing business in univeristy why not take business management or economics at HL? Unless your school happens to not offer them? Haha. Well I guess having a self taught subject would mean a lot more freedom to proceed at your own pace. However it's really important to have a teacher that really knows the IB requirements and stuff. You can get really screwed over my teachers who just do not know what the IB wants.

Hmm yes to get a bilingual diploma you can simply write your EE in another language other than your language A1. In your case, spanish.

I see that you're planning to take math at HL. Are you pretty good at math? It's really important for you to be at least decent at math and have a good foundation. If not math HL will just ruin your overall score. Also as a warning, it's really hard to score a 7 in english A1 HL. It's important to be extremely proficient in writing.

ReputationRep:
    Don't take math HL unless you need it for uni tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I plan on doing Law at canada or UK and have:
    HL - Eco, Maths, Hist
    Sl - Phys, Eng A1, French (AB)

i know i dont need maths Hl for law and i didnt even do add. maths (A* in normal IG maths).
    isnt math studies enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-j-123)
    HL - Eco, Maths, Hist

i know i dont need maths Hl for law and i didnt even do add. maths (A* in normal IG maths).
    yea you definitely don't need math HL for law. seeing as you didn't take additional math, dropping math HL wouldn't be a bad idea. math SL is quite simple actually. it certainly looks much better than math studies. maybe you could consider that. how about moving english A1 to HL instead? seems like a good choice for law.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the help but theres no way i can handle HL english (i got a C in lang and a B in lit for IG;s)

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 11, but my school has made us start thinking about next year. They offer A-Level and IB (I'm going for IB as I believe it makes you well rounded).

Anyway - I would like to study law. This is what I have come up with so far:

English HL
    History HL
    Geography/Economics HL

Latin/Spanish Ab Initio SL
    Maths SL
    Biology/Chemistry SL

I wouldn't mind doing any of the subjects listed (I enjoyed them all at GCSE - except Spanish and Economics but they would be a nice change).

What do you think would be the best combination?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I am seriously confused with my IB choices. I don't KNOW what I want to be. I would like to do law...or business...but then on second thought, why don't I do something more fun? Like...arts and music? But...you don't really earn much, and do I really like it?

I am just so confused.

So far, I have an interest in taking:
    - english
    - maths
    - biology
    - economics
    - business & management
    - history
    - chinese

you see, i have seven. i dont know what to drop...and i dont know how to put them into higher and standard. please help.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    How many can you pick?

Just the same as standard A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirlypop)
    I am seriously confused with my IB choices. I don't KNOW what I want to be. I would like to do law...or business...but then on second thought, why don't I do something more fun? Like...arts and music? But...you don't really earn much, and do I really like it?

I am just so confused.

So far, I have an interest in taking:
    - english
    - maths
    - biology
    - economics
    - business & management
    - history
    - chinese

you see, i have seven. i dont know what to drop...and i dont know how to put them into higher and standard. please help.
    You'll have to drop one of econ, B&M or history.
    Drop either B&M or econ as they're not hugely different.

ReputationRep:
    Any of your choices are fine for law tbh.
    If you like Latin, i'd do that above an ab initio language though, as the grade boundaries for ab initio are really high. But if you want to learn spanish, go for it :yy:
    Chemistry at SL is apparently still quite hard (I do HL so can't really comment) but if you're good at both Bio and Chemi then pick the one you enjoy the most.
    If you pick stuff you enjoy you're more likely to want to read around it and do it well

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to both of you.

I think am gonna take English SL, French SL and Geography HL.
    Is psychology a good subject?
    Do I have to memorize a lot for Biology? Or is it better Chemistry? I am taking Bio because it's more interesting but im better in chemistry coz im very good in math,so i dont really know. What do uni prefer?
    Should I take Geography HL??
    My school doesn't offer B&M.
    And thanks again :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sara236)
    Thanks to both of you.

I think am gonna take English SL, French SL and Geography HL.
    Is psychology a good subject?
    Do I have to memorize a lot for Biology? Or is it better Chemistry? I am taking Bio because it's more interesting but im better in chemistry coz im very good in math,so i dont really know. What do uni prefer?
    Should I take Geography HL??
    My school doesn't have economics and nor the B&M.
    And thanks again :P
    I'm taking Biology SL and I find it very interesting, even though there's a lot of stuff to memorize. Psych is fun and not very hard, you should def take it!

ReputationRep:
    Math Studies looks pretty poor, to be honest. But I've taken both SL and HL math (finished SL, now doing HL), and I can tell you there is a huge difference in difficulty. So since you don't need HL for law, if you think you can handle physics or english at HL, then I say switch one of them with math.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-j-123)
    HL - Eco, Maths, Hist

what would you do as HL instead?

and lol thats exactly my old combination.

ReputationRep:
    Curently i have

math Hl
    physics Sl

i wanna change math but i heard physics is really hard.

how about chemistry HL, is it as difficult as math or phys

ReputationRep:
    hmmm..
    I've never seen anyone change subjects after year 13, but it should deffinitely have been sugested to a student. What happened was that a girl failed her IB diploma because she only got a 2 in HL French. Im from an intl school also and my teacher was just talking about it this year, he said that he would deffinitely had suggested that she changed to do an easier level maybe even 1 week before the exam if he knew she was struggling that much.

anyways. This is IB, its not brilliant but we have to live with it.
    good luck with your maths!

ReputationRep:
    I am always constantly changing the choice of my subjects! But now I have another inquiry: does it really honestly matter to take business instead of economics? I know it is less respected blah blah but I am sure that is only for the top universities? Because I would like to choose some easy subjects. I have really hard ones already: english, history, biology...

I take economics in IGCSE level and I find it interesting I think that business is quite the same? Is it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.