Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    National Speed Limit- no lamposts whatsoever or there will be lamposts with repeater signs.

If there are lamposts and no repeater signs, 30mph is the limit

Seeing as you didn't see the sign, should've spotted these, but such is life :\

Remember this for your next test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PsYCho ThInKeR)
    well atleast you know that you can drive and it was just a silly mistake.
    were you slowing the other cars or sumit as my instructor told me that in a 60 zone only go to 40-50.
    next time you will pass :yep:
    Does your instructor happen to keep telling you that in a specific place?

There are roads near me that are national speed limit yet driving at 60 in them would be madness - and I tend to stick to 30 on them. It's not me being over cautious either, I'm told by family I drive too fast, it's just that the road is plain and simply not suitable for such a speed being a country lane. There are many national speed limit roads which happen to be like this. There was one I drove along on a few occasions whilst learning (not since as far as I can remember, little reason to head around there) and I remember having a conversation with my instructor on how daft it was for it to be national speed limit as it gave a false sense of confidence. These kind of roads are all about drivers intuition, knowing what is safe given visibility, the limits of the car and knowledge of the road.

My instructor taught me to try and go so fast so that you don't make people behind you want to overtake you. I'd imagine the examiner felt in the original posters case that she wasn't doing so, hence the fail. A major is excessive though, there are much worse things to be done on the roads.

As for the above - the whole street lamp thing - perhaps I'm a bad driver but I never notice things like these or make judgements of the road based on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koko91)
    Thanks for your advice guys. it helped. But i failed. for the most pathetic annoying reason in the world.
    In total i got:

ONE MINOR = Stalled it.

ONE MAJOR = Went at 40 in a 60 road because i didn't see the ******* god damn sign.

And that is it. that was it. I GOT ONE ******* MINOR.. AND IF I HAD SEEN THE SIGN I WOULD HAVE BLOODY PASSED.

Does anyone else feel that the markign system is ******* UNFAIR?! grrrrrrr

As im sure you can tell.... i am extreeeemly annoyed. It wasn't like i was speeding. The worsrt part is i thought ot myself "im sure i can remember tyhis is a 60 road" but considering the second test i took a risk and it meant i failed.. i decided to play it safe. which cost me my ******* license.

I AM SO ANNOYED.
    At least you know that it was just a small thing like that. Next time you take the test, just remind yourself that you do know how to drive!

Be confident, and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    at least you didn't fail before you got in the car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Honest answer? When you're good enough to pass you will.
    that just isn't true is it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    that just isn't true is it.
    Not if you believe the h+r style whinge type posts.
    Those of us in the real world know better...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Not if you believe the h+r style whinge type posts.
    Those of us in the real world know better...
    Well in reality, I believe that it really depends on the traffic on that day. Other cars behaviour can more often than not be the pivot on which you either fail or pass. Fair enough if you fail from your own error, but to fail because someone else pulled out in front of you does not show how much of a good driver you are.

To actually believe that to be able to pass a driving test you have to be good driver, is absurd. Why do we have boy racers then? Why do people go over the speed limit? Surely by your logic, we wouldn't have these issues if everyone who passed was a good driver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    Well in reality, I believe that it really depends on the traffic on that day. Other cars behaviour can more often than not be the pivot on which you either fail or pass. Fair enough if you fail from your own error, but to fail because someone else pulled out in front of you does not show how much of a good driver you are.

To actually believe that to be able to pass a driving test you have to be good driver, is absurd. Why do we have boy racers then? Why do people go over the speed limit? Surely by your logic, we wouldn't have these issues if everyone who passed was a good driver.
    How you drive on the day you pass the test and how you choose to drive afterwards is a completely different matter.
    To pass a driving test you have to pilot a vehicle to a set standard - that's what the little clip board is there to measure.

If you can't drive to that standard, you've no business being on the road at all.

Like I said, whether you choose to continue the learning process after you've torn up the L plates is entirely down to the individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    How you drive on the day you pass the test and how you choose to drive afterwards is a completely different matter.
    To pass a driving test you have to pilot a vehicle to a set standard - that's what the little clip board is there to measure.

If you can't drive to that standard, you've no business being on the road at all.

Like I said, whether you choose to continue the learning process after you've torn up the L plates is entirely down to the individual.
    are you serious?!

So lets make this clear - you think that traffic has no influence on whether you pass or not? You also think that once you pass your driving test, you choose whether you are learning or not?! :lolwut:

reality check: passing your driving test doesn't mean you automatically know all there is to know about driving. Why do you think younger drivers have the highest insurance premiums!?

i passed first time but thats irrelevant, its sad that you cant see that so many factors influence what happens. Did you see a programme a few months ago, where they took 5 or 6 (sterotypical) drivers; the white van man, school run mum, businessman, boy racer, elderly driver and all of them either failed their theory or failed the driving test, despite all of them driving for years?

So again by your logic, you should believe that everyone who has already passed, should be able to pass again if they re-took it? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Listen to Jack Johnson ASAP and have a glass of water

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Passing your driving test doesn't mean you know all there is to know. It means you've reached a sufficient standard where you can continue to learn on your own without the need for supervision of others.

Some people continue to learn and get better. Others choose not to and get worse.
    At the point they passed their test they were good enough to be let loose on their own. Beyond that it's their own choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Of course. Passing your driving test doesn't mean you know all there is to know. It means you've reached a sufficient standard where you can continue to learn on your own without the need for supervision of others.

Some people continue to learn and get better. Others choose not to and get worse.
    At the point they passed their test they were good enough to be let loose on their own. Beyond that it's their own choice.
    Exactly what this guy has said.

When boy racers have their test, they don't do it with uprising music blaring from their stero whilst beeping at and overtaking their mates or revving their engine constantly.

They drive to a set standard that they know the examiner is looking for. How people continue to drive after passing is up to them. My dear mum passed her test but she doesn't drive anymore because she hates busy roads lol. She still passed though.

Regardless of other factors on the day, if you meet the examiners criteria then you pass. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    National Speed Limit- no lamposts whatsoever or there will be lamposts with repeater signs.

If there are lamposts and no repeater signs, 30mph is the limit

Seeing as you didn't see the sign, should've spotted these, but such is life :\

Remember this for your next test
    Not all NSL roads have repeaters. I've been on a number of 40mph roads that could easily have been NSL which also lacked repeaters. I'm not saying that there weren't repeaters on the road OP was on though

ReputationRep:
    CALM DOWN WOMAN!

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Not all NSL roads have repeaters. I've been on a number of 40mph roads that could easily have been NSL which also lacked repeaters. I'm not saying that there weren't repeaters on the road OP was on though
    There wasn't any repeaters Which was so frustrating!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.