Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is terrible for your self-esteem, especially when it's your mom!
    When I was younger about twelve I was a right ol' porker, and my mom was rather unforgiving.
    At times I wish she understood how difficult it was for me, as a young girl, to deal with constant "battering".

ReputationRep:
    I am going to go against the general grain here and say you are in denial. You started a thread YESTERDAY saying "I need to lose weight" in which you reveal that you are 40lbs overweight (which sounds a bit bigger than a 14) and you also say you want to "do it for yourself".

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=968690

It seems that you do want to do it but don't have the willpower, and are trying to tell yourself that you are fine really. Your mother is doing you a favour, from what I can tell.

ReputationRep:
    That's you in your profile?? You certainly don't look fat!!

ReputationRep:
    Measurements, weight, BMI and dress size is all correct. However I do agree it sounds as if I am bigger than I am.
    Mother was getting on at me yesterday, hence the "do it for myself part" I was going to do it for her again.
    But then I started thinking today that I shouldn't have to, hence, this post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    That's you in your profile?? You certainly don't look fat!!
    My face isn't too bad.
    I'm a pear shape, so carry most of my weight around my hips, butt and thighs.

ReputationRep:
    Stop feeling sorry for yourself and do whatever it is you need/want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Right, Weight takes time to lose. I used to 14 st at the highest point.

I got bullied by my parents, friends and brothers.

It has had major impacton my body self confidence.... I am more critical of peoples' body.. perfectionism etc.

So I lost the weight, now down to 7 st. Half my body weight... You will feel better..

ReputationRep:
    Am I being selfish in not losing weight because she wont give up smoking?
    What? You want to stay a blob because she's a fag hag?

Anyway, she just has your best interests at heart.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the way that beautiful people have self-esteem issues. That's not the way it's supposed to work. Can't you leave the neuroses for us ugly folks please? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13ecca)
    To be honest I don't see myself as "that fat".
    I happily fit into a dress size 14.
    I have an hourglass figure - it's just larger.
    I horse ride, walk and bike alot. So I am active and fit.
    And my BMI is only like 26.5
    You should lose it till you get to 25 BMI.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I don't think you need to lose much or any at all tbh.

ReputationRep:
    You sound pretty happy with yourself to be honest.
    Edit: And if that is your in your profile photo, you should be. You look gorgeous. Nice hair.
    Only change yourself if you want to, there's no point in doing it for anyone else.
    As for your mum smoking, there isn't really anything you can do about.

Rather than bargaining with her, why don't you try to have a more serious conversation with her? Explain to her, that you're really worried about losing her, and that it really upsets you whenever she smokes.

Even suggest she tries cutting down first of all?
    Because realistically, she won't just go cold turkey.
    Ease her into it.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I think the best thing you can both do is to realise that you could be healthier, and you should both want that... as I do! So why not compromise and instead of slating each other, work together and encourage each other. Not, 'You're fat', 'you're gona get cancer again' more like... 'You could improve your fitness' 'you could feel healthier'. Arguing won't help either of you. You should both want to be at you optimum health surely?

ReputationRep:
    You do look pretty, so dont worry about you appearance. But as you get old obv you won't look as amazing. But your health is important for another 50+ years hopefully!! So look after it.

But healthwise being overweight can cause so many problems. So keeping you weight at a sensible level when you are young is best. Being overweight is strongly associated with heart disease (biggest killer), arthritis (biggest cause of disability), diabetes and many other diseases. Weight plays a big part. Also being lighter makes sport easier and more fun.

Thats why you should care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    What? You want to stay a blob because she's a fag hag?

Anyway, she just has your best interests at heart.
    Errrm.
    Fag hag:
    A fag hag is a woman who prefers the company of gay men.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fag-hag

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumdedoobie)
    Errrm.
    Fag hag:
    A fag hag is a woman who prefers the company of gay men.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fag-hag
    Errrm.

British fag is not the same as American fag. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    My face isn't too bad.
    I'm a pear shape, so carry most of my weight around my hips, butt and thighs.
    lower chance of heart disease, higher chance of arthritis in your leg joints

ReputationRep:
    From your profile picture, it looks like your one of those people who suit being a size 14. What I mean to say is that you don't look unhealthy or unattractive. If you do decide to lose weight, just make sure you don't go too far with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Errrm.

British fag is not the same as American fag. :facepalm:
    I know they can be called ****.
    But that doesn't make her a fag hag.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe this would sound nicer coming from a tall, dark, handsome bloke but I just looked at your profile to see if you had a photo and I was really surprised by what I saw! You are really attractive looking and you have a really pretty face! Your hair looks lovely and I really don't think you have much to worry about! Ok so maybe you feel like you could be a bit smaller weight wise but your face more than makes up for it! Please don't get down, there are a lot more facially not nice looking people than you! Plus, even though this is clichéd and some people might not believe it, it is inside that counts as well!

And, if its any consolation my mum says the same to me!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.